Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Zimmermann and Byram also out for the season

3 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Is Klose confirmed to be fit? I know there have been images of him doing some ball work - but his injury was one that some players never recover from. 

If Zimmermann and Hanley hadn't have suffered injuries, I wouldn't have expected Klose to feature in a match day squad until next season.

I expect we will see Tettey play CB again before the end of the season. 

And because we let our other defensive midfielder leave in January, that would leave us with basically no holding player. 

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

And because we let our other defensive midfielder leave in January, that would leave us with basically no holding player. 

I know he's not great, but Trybull is a holding midfielder.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I had forgotten about him, that is fair.

The other element of our multiple injuries is the stakes are now raised in this compact end to the season- 6 week injuries are now season enders. All it takes is Klose to get a relatively minor muscle pull and we're ****ed.

Edited by king canary

Though the situation is under review, Premier League clubs have reportedly been told players returning from loan spells this summer will not be eligible to play when the season resumes - unless there are 'exceptional circumstances' such as selection issues caused by illness or injury,

This is the last update Ive seen - is this still relevant ? 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Why is it comical though? I'm sure the folks at Colney won't just be shrugging their shoulders and saying 'oh well, unlucky lads.'

The idea that we can't question the fact we've left ourselves with four fit defenders for the second time this season is more comical in my opinion. 

Why is it comical? Because the suggestion is different to your insinuation that the people at Colney will have looked into it. They'll have been looking at it from pre-season onwards. Will they have made adjustments? If the medical and scientific evidence pointed to it being necessary then i'm sure that will have been the case.

But the injuries we're talking about - some of these have been due to injuries suffered in a match from challenges or whatever anyway.

Til's reference to Colney staff 'walking on water' is odd - no one is saying otherwise. The thing I find comical is people with absolutely 0 credibility in the field and only media reports on injuries criticising without basis. 

People say it can't just be bad luck - why can't it be? Why does someone have to be to blame? Who's to blame for Arsenal's two injuries in the first half yesterday? Is there medical team even worse than ours? Or Evertons? How good does our medical team have to be to guarantee our defenders dont get injured?

I just find the speculative criticising a bit below the belt and odd. It was like when people were criticising the club over the potential rebate stuff before the rebate stuff was announced.

• Like 3

To put a bit of the other side here unfortunately when you rush back there are risks and it is and will not be that we are the only club to suffer. The blame has to be laid at the the door of the EPL. After last night it is reported that Arsenal have lost 5 players for the 6 weeks due to injuries in the game.

Unfortunately for us and others there will be many more injuries yet. You cannot possibly get anywhere your body toned the way the EPL has insisted ( so they get their money ). These players would normally have 6 - 8 friendlies before they are close to match fit and even then would rarely play more than 45 minutes in most of those games. I also understand that it is only Hanley injured in training, the other 2 are the long term injuries they had.

There’s unlucky yes, but with our recent experience have to say this is really disappointing news and does make you question what’s going on in training. Clearly training at this point has to reflect real game time so on that basis there is an argument that these problems would have emerged during games in any event. A lot depends on the nature of the injuries.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

There’s unlucky yes, but with our recent experience have to say this is really disappointing news and does make you question what’s going on in training. Clearly training at this point has to reflect real game time so on that basis there is an argument that these problems would have emerged during games in any event. A lot depends on the nature of the injuries.

So what you're saying is "wass gorn orn in trayun Neyul"?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Exactly. Three players for two positions is too light. Four is ideal, five is arguably a bit heavy.

I'd certainly rather five than three, though.

The other relevant point to make about having five players for two spots is that your fifth player either has to be better than all the rest (i.e. expensive), or happy with the strong possibility that they won't play all season - and who wants a player that isn't motivated to play?

Better IMHO opinion to have someone who can play there in an emergency, which is what we did with Amadou. Letting him leave looks questionable, I guess the decision was that he was no better than the alternatives so we were wasting the money being spent on his wages.

DF says that Byram may an operation that will put him out for months. I know we have to look for bargains to suit our financial position but there was a reason he was such a ‘ bargain ‘. His terrible injury record.

It was worth a gamble but the prices we pay in signing such players seems to uncannilymatch the amount of game time they manage to clock up.

Regarding all these defensive injuries I don’t remember them happening in the Championship ?

Sadly the chance we had of staying up has now gone ,relying on injury prone klose to stay fit for 9 games and perform to a good standard (unlikely) ,and hoping Godfrey learns the art of defending (unlikely) and tettey is no cb either ,a real shame .

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

So what you're saying is "wass gorn orn in trayun Neyul"?

In terms

Already been said but this surely means we just have to go for it. If the midfield and attack are firing, this becomes less of a problem.  We’re unlikely to keep many clean sheets anyway given the nature of how we play so let’s just attack and if we go down, we go down in style! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clint said:

Already been said but this surely means we just have to go for it. If the midfield and attack are firing, this becomes less of a problem.  We’re unlikely to keep many clean sheets anyway given the nature of how we play so let’s just attack and if we go down, we go down in style! 

Romantic idea in theory but with a weak defence that will no doubt be running on empty halfway through this six-week spell and no viable alternatives, I think a gung-ho approach would mean that we'd go down getting pumped 6-1 every week.

I would doubt any other team in the history of the PL have had to deal with the defensive injury woes that Norwich have suffered with this season.

The chances of getting through nine matches, piled on top of one another, with just two centre-halves remaining fit and playing every minute, Is zilch. With Klose’s recent injury history, it is even worse than zilch.

We have been totally shafted this season, something sadly that will never show up in the history books.

3 minutes ago, unique said:

shafted

By who ?   The word shafted suggests someone is responsible. We cannot be shafted by luck  , luck is a concept, not a being.  Do you know something  we don't  Uniqueo.

8 hours ago, Canary73 said:

We will just have to resort to plan B - Outscore the opposition. 

Well I guess that if you want to win football matches that's usually the main objective of any plan.

7 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Resident Trybull-fanboy 'offense-taken-mode' activated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the issues we have is what on earth do we do for the cup q-f - we have no back-up defenders but will hardly want to play our fit cbs more than we have to. 

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The other relevant point to make about having five players for two spots is that your fifth player either has to be better than all the rest (i.e. expensive), or happy with the strong possibility that they won't play all season - and who wants a player that isn't motivated to play?

Better IMHO opinion to have someone who can play there in an emergency, which is what we did with Amadou. Letting him leave looks questionable, I guess the decision was that he was no better than the alternatives so we were wasting the money being spent on his wages.

Amadou was terrible as CB.  Not his fault, he was played out of position, but it was an absolute train wreck. 

1 hour ago, Too Bad said:

Amadou was terrible as CB.  Not his fault, he was played out of position, but it was an absolute train wreck. 

Did pretty well against Man City, got MOM

• Like 3

Norwich City have not had all four of their first-team centre-halves (Godfrey, Hanley, Klose, Zimmermann) fit for selection for any game in the last 13 months. The last fixture when they were all available was Aston Villa A, the last game of 2018/19

Face with head-bandage

#ncfc

from NCFC Numbers on twitter...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

Why is it comical? Because the suggestion is different to your insinuation that the people at Colney will have looked into it. They'll have been looking at it from pre-season onwards. Will they have made adjustments? If the medical and scientific evidence pointed to it being necessary then i'm sure that will have been the case.

But the injuries we're talking about - some of these have been due to injuries suffered in a match from challenges or whatever anyway.

Til's reference to Colney staff 'walking on water' is odd - no one is saying otherwise. The thing I find comical is people with absolutely 0 credibility in the field and only media reports on injuries criticising without basis. 

People say it can't just be bad luck - why can't it be? Why does someone have to be to blame? Who's to blame for Arsenal's two injuries in the first half yesterday? Is there medical team even worse than ours? Or Evertons? How good does our medical team have to be to guarantee our defenders dont get injured?

I just find the speculative criticising a bit below the belt and odd. It was like when people were criticising the club over the potential rebate stuff before the rebate stuff was announced.

It isn't speculative criticism- it is concern based on the evidence we have. 

The constant injuries to the same players may just be down to bad luck but it isn't wild to suggest that maybe what we've done with these players in training hasn't helped. 

The part about squad management is less debatable in my eyes. We came into this season with two central defenders already injured and another one out by the end of August. This lack of options in turn makes the inury situation worse as we're forced to rush players back before we might usually want to. Now you can argue the summer is just bad luck- four central defenders and a defensive midfielder who can also play there should be enough. What I don't see how anyone can argue is the decision making in January.

We let Amadou walk. We loan out Heise. We even loan out Famewo who has seemed the most likely youngster to step up. We bring in no replacements apart from a possible utility midfielder who 'might be able to play full back in a pinch.' So we're left with 7 defenders...

Klose- still injured at the time, history or injury problems

Godfrey- fit, generally not missed much time

Zimmermann- no preseason, 3 months on the treatment table this season

Hanley- spent half the season out injured, history of injury problems

Aarons- super reliable

Lewis- ditto

Byram- signed on the cheap precisely due to his injury issues.

How anybody can take a step back, look at that list and say 'yep this should see us through' is beyond me to be honest. And now three on that list have been ruled out for the season- it isn't bad luck it is bad preparation. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

There needs to be an investigation into training and the behind the scenes going ons.

I mean, really? this many injuries outside of matches?

Who is the backup centre back now? I’ve lost track!