Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Zimmermann and Byram also out for the season

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What are our actual options from the u23’s - we obviously can’t use guys that were out in loan but there must be some defenders out there in the squad? Maybe it is time to give one of them a go.
You can call ‘bad luck’ as much as you want but imo our defensive situation has been poorly managed.  People banging on about having 4 cbs miss the point that at no point have we had them fit the entire season, and have often been down to 2 or 1. January was a time to have a look and we decided to lose two defensive options with no replacement coming in. Madness. And that’s most definitely not hindsight talking, just plain sense.

I think that a player would have had to be 21 or under to not needed to be named in the squad on Jan 31st

The ;point about being a CB light is that we knew going into the start of the season that at least 2 of our CB's were carrying injuries. Of course when all 4 are fit we don't need any more but we haven't been anywhere near that all season, particularly as we keep injuring them in training,

I firmly believe that both Klose and Zimmerman's injuries at the start of the season were linked to them being rushed back. Ok so the actual trigger for the injuries were challenges but I think lack of fitness made them more likely to pick up an injury.

13 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Looks like all three of these injuries will drag into the start of next season too. Surely we’ll have to buy at least one more Ch, goodness knows who will play if Klose is not up to it

In all honesty Klose’s been a bit of a sicknote.

Let’s hope he can hold himself together until our season is mathematically sorted one way or the other

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can understand that in the Championship, but it's too risky at Premier League level. Throwing an untried teenage defender into the Premier League is like feeding them to wolves. All Premier League teams have the resources to ensure there are two players for every position.

Apart from us, it seems.

Presumably Famewo and Bushiri have returned to the club now that their seasons are over?...when are the League One playoffs?, is Raggett eligible if Portsmouth go out??

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think that a player would have had to be 21 or under to not needed to be named in the squad on Jan 31st

You are correct, which means the most likely candidate to be Rob Nizet (with Caleb Ricahards still out on loan) but we'd have to be mad to through him in untried.

To GJL, any players that were registered to any other club (on loan or otherwise) after January are not eligible for selection in our squad for the remaining games. 

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Apart from us, it seems.

We have the resources, I'm sure. It just seems that Webber decided that he'd rather take the risk rather than overspending or signing the 'wrong' player who didn't fit the model.

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Presumably Famewo and Bushiri have retuned to the club now that theyre seasons are over?...when are the League One playoffs?, is Raggett eligible if Portsmouth go out??

But they were on loan during the second half of the season and weren't registered in our squad, therefore they aren't eligible (I think).

Gutted by this news like everyone. The only way now for us to do the Big Escape is for our midfielders and strikers to score a ton of goals like we did last season .

It's time for our lads to step up and take the pressure off our yet again stretched back 4 and grab the goals and points. 

It really would be a miracle now if we stay up.... but as long as all players give 100% i don't mind dropping down. Staying up is just a dream now.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I believe that's correct, however I don't think we have any unregistered over-21 players in our squad.

eh

my point was that if they are under 21 on the qualifying date then they can play as they would not jhav needed to be named in the squad

whereas if they are U23 they cannot play if they are over that age qualification

ps the report on the Pinkun doesn't talk abot Z and B being out for the rest of the season, just not being ready to start

Just now, Bill said:

eh

my point was that if they are under 21 on the qualifying date then they can play as they would not jhav needed to be named in the squad

whereas if they are U23 they cannot play if they are over that age qualification

ps the report on the Pinkun doesn't talk abot Z and B being out for the rest of the season, just not being ready to start

Bill, I agreed with you, and you're still trying to argue.

What you said was completely correct, and then I pointed out that luckily none of our players fall into category of being over 21 and not registered (excluding the ones out on loan, of course).

Anyway, Farke said in his press conference that Zimmermann, Hanley and Byram are all out for the season.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

eh

One of Paddy's most recent tweets confirms they will be out for the season:

Pressed #ncfc DF on the medical route for Zimbo and Byram now. If Zimbo responds to a course of injections can be back for pre-season. If not, looking at surgery. With Byram have to deal with the cyst and if the screw is fine, similar timescale, otherwise surgery and 5/6 months

This is hilarious.

THERE MUST BE AN INVESTIGATION

CLEARLY THOSE WHO ARE EXPERTS IN THEIR FIELD DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE OF SOME INJURIES WHICH WE DONT HAVE PROPER DETAILS ON

IM SO ANGRY. THE ENTIRE CLUB IS A SHAMBLES.

The alternative is we've been unlucky on injuries in defence. It happens. We're not the only club in history for it to happen to and we won't be the last.

I don't get the 'serious mismanagement of the squad' in January either - Rupp is supposed to be able to cover full-back positions, Byram was another option and Stiepermann a last-resort. 

I'm as disappointed as anyone but to start whining that the 'sport science department' is suddenly not up to scratch etc is comical.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is hilarious.

CLEARLY THOSE WHO ARE EXPERTS IN THEIR FIELD DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE OF SOME INJURIES WHICH WE DONT HAVE PROPER DETAILS ON

The alternative is we've been unlucky on injuries in defence. It happens. We're not the only club in history for it to happen to and we won't be the last.

I don't get the 'serious mismanagement of the squad' in January either - Rupp is supposed to be able to cover full-back positions, Byram was another option and Stiepermann a last-resort. 

I'm as disappointed as anyone but to start whining that the 'sport science department' is suddenly not up to scratch etc is comical.

Whilst I agree with you in principle, I think it was a big mistake to let Heise leave and not bring in another left back, because it clearly left us a little bit short.

35 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Looks like all three of these injuries will drag into the start of next season too. Surely we’ll have to buy at least one more Ch, goodness knows who will play if Klose is not up to it

Amadou. Oh...

Look at Sheff utd this season.  Play 3 CB's every game.  Indeed apart from one game before the Covid break, and last night, it's been the same 3!  Either they are very lucky, or have it sussed.  Or we are very unlucky, or incompetent.  I think I'll go for lucky / unlucky, but ......

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst I agree with you in principle, I think it was a big mistake to let Heise leave and not bring in another left back, because it clearly left us a little bit short.

The only counter-argument I have (despite generally agreeing) is did we think Heise was so poor that, for exampe, they'd rather play Stiepermann? If so it's obviously a poor recruitment choice anyway, but still...

Just now, hogesar said:

The only counter-argument I have (despite generally agreeing) is did we think Heise was so poor that, for exampe, they'd rather play Stiepermann? If so it's obviously a poor recruitment choice anyway, but still...

Heise is one of those great mysteries of the world. Barely so much as an u23 appearance so can only assume he was the German Ali Dia 

Just another reason why we don't belong in the Prem.

I know its not an equal analogy but did you see ManCity's bench last night? How the heck are we supposed to match anything like that. We basically have 16 players who can give the EPL a go every now and then and the rest are not up to it in any shape or form.

Its nobodys fault. Its just the awful way it is.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Indeed, even if Heise was deemed not good enough, that doesn't mean we'd be better off with an empty space or Stiepermann, who didn't exactly shine when played there in the Championship (which wasn't his fault, as he had never previously played as a left back in a back four, if I'm not mistaken). 

We can obviously question the quality of recruitment this season, but I think this is the only 'quantity' mistake we made.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is hilarious.

It needs to be looked at. Webber wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't look into it. There are too many similar injuries for it to be purely bad luck and even if he concludes that there is not an issue with the training intensity then he perhaps needs to take it into account with his future transfer strategy because clearly if we are going to run a very "trim" squad at this level then we cannot afford to have any players who are injury prone. 

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is hilarious.

Why is it comical though? I'm sure the folks at Colney won't just be shrugging their shoulders and saying 'oh well, unlucky lads.'

The idea that we can't question the fact we've left ourselves with four fit defenders for the second time this season is more comical in my opinion. 

So if we’re in a totally different set of circumstances and the rules have been changed in some aspects, if Famewo is back and fit I can’t see why we could ask if he’d be eligible! He’s our playe and the loan system is pretty much knackered from March when the seasons were all stopped!

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hoggy this unlucky with injuries tag has been running since last August which is bordering on ridiculous and now it continues even after a 3 month break. At some point it has to be looked at or are you just hoping fingers crossed we play our way back into a run of luck ?

Believe or not there is the possibility that one or two in the set up at Colney responsible for fitness do not walk on water.

Edited by TIL 1010

We've just got to hope that Godfrey and Klose stay fit and produce their best form in the run in. 

On form they are probably the best centre backs, it could be the best time for Klose to come back with nobody 100% match fit. 

No use blaming our club for the injuries but it was unwise to let the cover go mid season. 

On the other hand Sebastien Haller has got a lot to answer for. 

3 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

We've just got to hope that Godfrey and Klose stay fit and produce their best form in the run in. 

On form they are probably the best centre backs, it could be the best time for Klose to come back with nobody 100% match fit. 

No use blaming our club for the injuries but it was unwise to let the cover go mid season. 

On the other hand Sebastien Haller has got a lot to answer for. 

This - our season might have been quite different if it weren't for that "challenge". Still can't believe he was given a card of any colour!

For a team with great players in defence we simply cannot defend especially from set pieces. Until that is sorted then it doesn't matter who plays in there, all of them have been culpable at some stage this season.

With a few games left all we can do is go back to Lambert principles and the like shown last season of just going out and aiming to score one more than we concede.

Bloody go for it lads. 

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

You are correct, which means the most likely candidate to be Rob Nizet (with Caleb Ricahards still out on loan) but we'd have to be mad to through him in untried.

To GJL, any players that were registered to any other club (on loan or otherwise) after January are not eligible for selection in our squad for the remaining games. 

As I've said on another thread the most likely candidate is Jordan Thomas......... he's been training with the first team for a while now. 

Is Klose confirmed to be fit? I know there have been images of him doing some ball work - but his injury was one that some players never recover from. 

If Zimmermann and Hanley hadn't have suffered injuries, I wouldn't have expected Klose to feature in a match day squad until next season.

I expect we will see Tettey play CB again before the end of the season.