Sign in to follow this  
canarychris

What is happening to our club

Hi Guys,

I''m a newbie to the forum but have been a fan all my life, did the whole Europe thing and ditched my season ticket at FCR when Chase sold Sutton.

Have been watching the board for the last few days to see the various opinions but now feel i should put fingers to keyboard and give my view.

Last May we where 1 match from Premiership survival, 8 months later we are a mediocre Championship side showing no ambition, buying players who can''t get in average Premiership sides and selling our playing assets from under our noses.

There has been so many things said (not least on this board) about Ashtons sale, the one thing i would say is if he wanted to go to West Ham that is fine, but make him submit a transfer request therefore meaning he is not entitled to any sort of ''signing off'' fee aswell as forfeiting Dec and Jan salary and bounuses. If he wanted to leave let him leave but do it on our terms!

At the start of this season we signed 2 right backs who between them don''t make an Edworthy, Jarrett who left Wigan because he wanted first team football, Thorne a journeyman striker who will never be anything else and Andy Hughes jack of some trades master of none (and look were Reading are without him!). The point i''m making is we should have been signing players who could pay in the Premiership next season after we (as favourites) had been promoted. We where in a position whereby we could pick and choose who we wanted outside of the Premiership because along with Crystal Palace we where the most attractive proposition for ambitious young players. It was last summer when we should have been signing Halford (Colchester), Boyd (Hartlepool) and Commons (Forest) not trying to attract players now when we are midtable in the Championship with little or no hope of promotion.

By my recollection we bid 1.5m for Morrison in the summer, this added to the 5.5m we cleared for Ashton (and the saving in wages) should give us a healthy 7.0m to spend this summer (sorry Mr Doncaster but i don''t believe the Board had to lend us £50k to buy Robinson!). Please don''t waste this money on loan signings and more journeyman Premiership signings, invest in the playing future of the club don''t take us back to the Chase years, but don''t worry.....i won''t hold my breath..... 

i agree with everything you say.

BUT as is the case thje morrison money is gone.....  ITS GONE   on loans and the signing of Etuhu.

WHY THE *** we are signing MORE bloody loans is beyond me, what a waste of cash - i mean how much is JJ on??  at 3,750,000 signing it must be a fair whack....  at least rehman is young and cheap - but defensive central midfielder - doesnt say much for etuhu and hughes really

excellent post chris - sums up what ive been wittering far too long about. Boyd, by the way, looks like he''s going to Luton for £500k.

agreed about the 450k for Etuhu, but the loan signings wages (Davenport 3 mths, Lisbie 1 mth, Etuhu 6 weeks and Robinson 1 month) should have comfortably have been covered by the wages we where going to pay Morrison (unless they really where planning on selling Ashton last summer). This should still leave £1m in the transfer kitty before the sale of Ashton

Totally agree Canary Chris. In the summer we could have bought,

Greg Halford & Neil Danns £1M

Derek Riordan £400K

Dion Dublin £probably free or nominal

Cameron Jerome £1.5M

Kept Marc Edworthy and saved £270K

Yes, they may represent something of a gamble and a reasonably significant outlay but at least they all have youth on their side (apart from DD). What are we likely to get for Thorne, Hughes & Robinson if we decide to sell them?

For all I know NW may well have tried to get these or other young players and was rebuffed. I would much rather City took a bit of a gamble (as they used to) on exciting players than risk less on fairly ordinary players because when they fail to produce the goods on a regular basis (Jarrett, Hughes, Colin, Thorne, Brennan, Charlton) the whole team becomes decidedly average which is exactly what has happened this season.

[quote user="breaker"]Totally agree Canary Chris. In the summer we could have bought, Greg Halford & Neil Danns £1M Derek Riordan £400K Dion Dublin £probably free or nominal Cameron Jerome £1.5M Kept Marc Edworthy and saved £270K Yes, they may represent something of a gamble and a reasonably significant outlay but at least they all have youth on their side (apart from DD). What are we likely to get for Thorne, Hughes & Robinson if we decide to sell them? For all I know NW may well have tried to get these or other young players and was rebuffed. I would much rather City took a bit of a gamble (as they used to) on exciting players than risk less on fairly ordinary players because when they fail to produce the goods on a regular basis (Jarrett, Hughes, Colin, Thorne, Brennan, Charlton) the whole team becomes decidedly average which is exactly what has happened this season.[/quote]

Can you tell me when the next meeting of The Hindsight Club is meeting?

[quote user="A load of squit"]

[quote user="breaker"]Totally agree Canary Chris. In the summer we could have bought, Greg Halford & Neil Danns £1M Derek Riordan £400K Dion Dublin £probably free or nominal Cameron Jerome £1.5M Kept Marc Edworthy and saved £270K Yes, they may represent something of a gamble and a reasonably significant outlay but at least they all have youth on their side (apart from DD). What are we likely to get for Thorne, Hughes & Robinson if we decide to sell them? For all I know NW may well have tried to get these or other young players and was rebuffed. I would much rather City took a bit of a gamble (as they used to) on exciting players than risk less on fairly ordinary players because when they fail to produce the goods on a regular basis (Jarrett, Hughes, Colin, Thorne, Brennan, Charlton) the whole team becomes decidedly average which is exactly what has happened this season.[/quote]

Can you tell me when the next meeting of The Hindsight Club is meeting?

[/quote]

how about a meeting with the make the right decision in the first place club??? A good manager doesnt need hindsight.

Earnshaw is a top, top signing i have no doubt, but please can someone explain why we continue to spend money on loan players who are only here to improve their own chances of getting a game at their respective premiership clubs!

As i said earlier in this thread why are we not investing in quality youngsters? come the summer the board will tell us there is no money left, and why? because it has been spent on loan wages at a time when it is clear we should be rebuilding for next season by giving youth a chance now.

I have no axe to grind with either JJ or Rehman, but the view of the board seems very shortsighted. Still we have no natural right midfielder and with the sale of Brennan leaves us short of cover on the left, an investment in Halford and Commons would have solved this, and if you add in Adam Boyd you would have the perfect link player for Earnie.

I look forward to Mr Doncasters comments about who we tried to sign in the transfer window, then i''ll await there respective clubs coming out to say they never heard from us!!!