Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Ryan Fraser rejects contract extension beyond June

Breaking on Sky Sports news.

He will now only be under contract for the next 2 games. Has to be a blow to Bournemouth (positive for us and the other relegation rivals though) to have him missing for the final 7 games. On a par with us losing someone like Emi for the run in, where margins could well be quite fine.

I also read last week that Lyle Taylor (Charlton's leading scorer) has done a similar thing, whilst they are fighting relegation. 

It's somewhat understandable from the players' point of view if they are lining up a new club at the end of this contract and not wanting to risk injury or something before they sign for another club, in this situation they have to look after number 1. But it will feel brutal for the club and its fans and I can't imagine that makes it any easier to accept, I'd be gutted if we were in this position with one of our stand out performers.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Attempting to complete the season out of time was bound to throw up these problems. 

Will he be that committed over those two games ?

And what effect will his presence have where the squad will be wanting  to build up an 'all in this together' spirit ?

As to what his exact motives are is not known - but as to a possible benefit to us .... well as they say

' every little helps'

22 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Someone's been busy on Wikipedia v

Screenshot_20200617-113108__01.jpg

.why do people get so angry at players leaving? If he has got a big offer from a bigger club of course he would accept it, he's not gonna want to play at Bournmouth forever is he?

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

.why do people get so angry at players leaving? If he has got a big offer from a bigger club of course he would accept it, he's not gonna want to play at Bournmouth forever is he?

he could have at least seen this season out and still moved.

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

he could have at least seen this season out and still moved.

I think though he could easily argue that being asking to play 9 games across 6 weeks gives an increased chance of his career being totally wrecked by an injury.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think though he could easily argue that being asking to play 9 games across 6 weeks gives an increased chance of his career being totally wrecked by an injury.

Or at least an injury that sees a move already in the pipeline being delayed or even cancelled. Not unlikely an event given that the aim is to start the next season in early September.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Or at least an injury that sees a move already in the pipeline being delayed or even cancelled. Not unlikely an event given that the aim is to start the next season in early September.

Yeah- all it takes is something that puts him on the shelf for 8-12 weeks and suddenly he's either having to take a lower deal from clubs that will sign him injured or having to sit out until January without pay.

My work around would be this- Bournemouth offer him a 3 year deal with a very low release clause that can be activated in the summer. Therefore is he does get injured he's not left without a job and if he doesn't he can still make his move for nominal fee.

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Having to play 9 games in 6 weeks must be terrible, would think he’ll be traumatised for the rest of his life

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah- all it takes is something that puts him on the shelf for 8-12 weeks and suddenly he's either having to take a lower deal from clubs that will sign him injured or having to sit out until January without pay.

My work around would be this- Bournemouth offer him a 3 year deal with a very low release clause that can be activated in the summer. Therefore is he does get injured he's not left without a job and if he doesn't he can still make his move for nominal fee.

Agreed. It’s not beyond the wit of man to come up with a deal like this, so the fact Bournemouth haven’t is of interest in itself.

3 minutes ago, daly said:

Having to play 9 games in 6 weeks must be terrible, would think he’ll be traumatised for the rest of his life

That's blatantly not the point. If he gets a serious injury, he'll be unemployed until the injury heals and his next contract will be a much lower one that it would be if he signs one now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

But if he gets a serious injury, Bournemouth are stuck with him on a big contract. Is it worth risking that for six games? 

Hes probably doing it to protect  the integrity of the game.  

Apologies to Tillo for using his snarky one liner.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's blatantly not the point. If he gets a serious injury, he'll be unemployed until the injury heals and his next contract will be a much lower one that it would be if he signs one now.

Exactly. Players are entitled to look out for their own best interests and this is what he's doing.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But if he gets a serious injury, Bournemouth are stuck with him on a big contract. Is it worth risking that for six games? 

That would be for Bournemouth to decide- it does at least share the risk a bit though. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

That makes far too much sense and is way too innovative for anyone involved with a football club to understand...….

2 hours ago, king canary said:

And if he just doesn't want to play for Bournemouth anymore? Why risk being stuck there for 3 years?

It seems the player has found his own workaround, don't sign. This suggestion is just shifting the benefit.

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

And if he just doesn't want to play for Bournemouth anymore? Why risk being stuck there for 3 years?

It seems the player has found his own workaround, don't sign. This suggestion is just shifting the benefit.

Then he doesn't have to sign it- I'm just saying it as a possible work around for Bournemouth so his risk is mitigated a bit if that is what he wants to do, not that he has to sign anything.