Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

New to the group- let's keep it football based!

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but I have been reading it for few years now and today have braced myself and joined. Look forward to interacting with you all!

Anyway, let me keep this football related. I see on the BBC website that Remi Matthews is out of contract this summer.

Do you think he is worth taking on a free to play back up to Krul? Or is he not good enough and only to be considered to take up McGovern's place, who clearly isn't up to it at prem or champ level.

Thoughts? Be gentle with me!

Can’t really see him coming back to be honest. Don’t think he would push Tim Krul. Is he any better than McGovern?  Probably about the same? Problem is McGovern hasn’t played hardly any games and when needed he comes up way short.  It’s a position we do need decent cover for though. Any other idea who? Welcome aboard anyway 👍

Edited by Wymondham Canaries

Well I just made the link that he is from Norwich and is a fan, so I'd assume he would jump at the chance. Even as a number 2, considering krul's injury record. However, probably on balance he may wish to be no.1 somewhere and farke is likely not interested. But as fan, I'd probably say it's decent enough cover, especially for the championship. Personally I don't rate McGovern, but fair point.

To answer your question about the goalkeeper, depends what league we are in and if krul stays. You would have to say if relegated, would he not attract attention from another prem side, he has been brillaint this season and would cost another team a couple of million. I'd love to assume that he stays loyal to us, but equally we have to be fair to him and understand his aspirations.

So if In the champ, if looking for a new number one, maybe Gunn or Danny ward (from Leicester) on loan, they aren't no.1s at there current club and may feel the need for first team experience.

Kind of at a loss to suggest someone else who would be a decent number one who we could realistically get if krul left and we played championship- probably even premier League as well if I'd have to be sensible money wise, although obviously I'd assume krul wouldn't leave if still in the Prem.

I'd say Darren Randolph, as although he has just moved to West ham, fabianski is back and will be first choice. But I'll assume his wages and transfer fee is too much.

What would you suggest.

Thank you for the welcome chap!

You make some great points. I have always liked Randolf and ward. Gunn I can’t see coming back unless he is number 1. And he will probably stay in the Prem. How about McCarthy at Southampton? Think he was linked last year. Or Frazer Forster? 

Welcome  Neymaro, enjoy the board , but as i am sure you're aware after keeping an eye on the board before joining  that unless you toe the Billious is always right  line you will be accused of something, lying, being a righty or god forbid, being poor old Van Winko. Roight, that's the mental health warning done, I expect well find an experienced but not in favour at current club as back up, possibly someone leftfield as Webber/ Farke  are out of the box thinkers imo particularly  with keepers. Krul  was a masterstroke and hes got himself to the peripheral of the Dutch  squad again....which would be a lure for any decent keeper not getting much game time at the moment. Who? Absolutely no idea as I dont play FM. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but I have been reading it for few years now and today have braced myself and joined. Look forward to interacting with you all!

Anyway, let me keep this football related. I see on the BBC website that Remi Matthews is out of contract this summer.

Do you think he is worth taking on a free to play back up to Krul? Or is he not good enough and only to be considered to take up McGovern's place, who clearly isn't up to it at prem or champ level.

Binner 🙂

• Like 1

Thank wcorkcanary.

I'm good and all prepped for the abuse I could get, I think I've thick enough skin to take it all. I'm on here to just say what I'd say down the pub after the game. 

Yeah unsure on who there is available, or what our budget would be. Just saw Remi on the free and thought it may be a good fit for a number two - as well as being cheap wages and committed to norwich! Regardless of if krul stays, we defo need goalkeepers.

Do you or anyone think Tim krul would go if we go down? Especially as you say, that he has fought his way back into the international fold.

7 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Binner 🙂

... And a happy clapper, nappy crapper, Delia in, Delia out fan all in one! 😉

At least you're not part of the inner circle...

Jaysus  , you are familiar  with this board...... are you sure you are not van wink 😉

I do get why  peeps  want to discuss  possible  targets but as I alluded to in previous post my knowledge  of  who  is actually a realistic  target is minimal, unlike so many experts on here. The factors that ensure a transfer goes through or not  are many fold and  we are not privy to them. My interest is more in the tactical and technical.  My hope is that the scouting dept will unearth a younger TK , big personality, something I believe is essential  for a  keeper, with good foot skills  and well as the old fashioned keepers  skills. 

Re Matthews- he seemed to really struggle with the passing side of the game that Farke insists on with his keepers. I seem to remember we only really signed Krul because Matthews looked poor in his pre season audition, so can't see him coming back.

5 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

5 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Oxborough deserves a chance imo

8 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Oxborough deserves a chance imo

I'm not closing you down but he has no football league experience at all. I know the same can be said for Archie Mair who was on the bench for a game but that was a desperate measure. I'd say oxborough needs a football league loan or two. Just would seem poor preparation for him to have a go at number two. 

Cheers for the comment though 🙂 lets hope he comes good!

3 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I'm not closing you down but he has no football league experience at all. I know the same can be said for Archie Mair who was on the bench for a game but that was a desperate measure. I'd say oxborough needs a football league loan or two. Just would seem poor preparation for him to have a go at number two. 

Cheers for the comment though 🙂 lets hope he comes good!

He’s been playing for Wealdstone, Andy Marshall didn’t turn out to be so bad did he? 

Well a quick wiki search shows 4 appearances for them. I've not seen him play in those games but 4 since August isn't setting the world alight.

I'm not writing Aston oxborough off just saying in my opinion he's not yet ready to be playing as number 2 for Norwich city, currently of the premier League, and at worst a top championship side. I'd love to be proved wrong ofcourse 

And the Andy Marshall example only goes so far to be fair. That was years ago, I'd argue there is a bigger gap now in quality between the championship/premier League and the lower leagues. 

As a said though, I'd love to be proved wrong by him.

Are you saying you would be happy to go into next season, regardless of what league we are in with Aston oxborough as number 2 goalkeeper choice for Norwich city?

10 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Well a quick wiki search shows 4 appearances for them. I've not seen him play in those games but 4 since August isn't setting the world alight.

I'm not writing Aston oxborough off just saying in my opinion he's not yet ready to be playing as number 2 for Norwich city, currently of the premier League, and at worst a top championship side. I'd love to be proved wrong ofcourse 

And the Andy Marshall example only goes so far to be fair. That was years ago, I'd argue there is a bigger gap now in quality between the championship/premier League and the lower leagues. 

As a said though, I'd love to be proved wrong by him.

Are you saying you would be happy to go into next season, regardless of what league we are in with Aston oxborough as number 2 goalkeeper choice for Norwich city?

22 appearances for Wealdstone, before he got injured. He was getting plaudits every week and they were flying in the league! 

goalkeepers face the same shots whatever league they are in. I cannot see why Matthews would be any better, didn’t he concede 8 in one game?

if there was no half decent, experienced keeper being brought in, willing to play number 2, then yes, Oxborough would be my choice.

As well as Oxborough we've got a very promising keeper playing for the U23s in Archie Mair. I've seen him play a few times for the U23s this season and been very impressed on every occasion. 

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

22 appearances for Wealdstone, before he got injured. He was getting plaudits every week and they were flying in the league! 

goalkeepers face the same shots whatever league they are in. I cannot see why Matthews would be any better, didn’t he concede 8 in one game?

if there was no half decent, experienced keeper being brought in, willing to play number 2, then yes, Oxborough would be my choice.

My apologies in that case then chap! 

I guess we got to give them a chance at some point rather then just keep bouncing them around like we have done with promising young players like Carlton Morris. 

And yeah I've heard Archie Mair is a good prospect.

My apologies in that case then chap! 

I guess we got to give them a chance at some point rather then just keep bouncing them around like we have done with promising young players like Carlton Morris. 

And yeah I've heard Archie Mair is a good prospect.

I think we have held on to Morris a bit too long. It was evident he wasn’t going to make it. Hopefully he can join Martin at MK Dons and make a real go of it. For his sake, otherwise he will be loaned out constantly.

5 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

goalkeepers face the same shots whatever league they are in.

I'm not convinced that's true. Premier League strikers can shoot far more powerfully and accurately on a regular basis, and they're much more capable of pinging one into the top corner first time before a goalkeeper has had a chance to set himself. Non-league goalkeepers will face less accurate shots and they'll usually have an extra second or two to get their positioning right before a dangerous shot/cross comes in.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm not convinced that's true. Premier League strikers can shoot far more powerfully and accurately on a regular basis, and they're much more capable of pinging one into the top corner first time before a goalkeeper has had a chance to set himself. Non-league goalkeepers will face less accurate shots and they'll usually have an extra second or two to get their positioning right before a dangerous shot/cross comes in.

I would tend to agree with that too in honesty, but by that point id already got my facts wrong with the appearances and it's Drs opinion, to which he is welcome. Where we are all in the same opinion is we hope that Aston has a bright future here.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

With the defending being far poorer in lower leagues (although some of ours is questionable), I’d say keepers can be a lot busier in them games and I’d imagine the fouling and physical side of it is a good learning curve, due to no VAR to protect them. I personally think he’d be ok, especially with some pre season games. But again, I’d there is a half decent, experienced keeper, happy to sit on the bench, then that’s fine. Aston can get some league football experience on loan somewhere.