Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Hanley

14 minutes ago, daisy said:

What a surprise!! 

Clearly have a decent source. Or you're Grant Hanley's mum. Either way, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 2

Have to wonder if there is actually something in traynun neyul contributing to how many centre half injuries we've picked up.

I remember reading that we put more of a focus on sprint training for the PL season; we aren't a big side and its all our 6ft+ players that aren't Godfrey that are consistently breaking down. Perhaps the manner of training is making them more susceptible to breaking down?

It does make you wonder, the number of hamstring injuries players get - I have no stats but presumably we are no different to other sides?  Hanley does seem rather prone so perhaps there’s something more deep-seated there.
We certainly need to hit the ground running, and to also to have as many fit players as possible for the new season which might only be a couple of weeks gap.  We seem to have a constant supply of new m/f, but cb is probably our weak spot....as widely mentioned all (including pre) season, so it’s not a ‘hindsight’ thing.

Edited by Branston Pickle

24 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It does make you wonder, the number of hamstring injuries players get - I have no stats but presumably we are no different to other sides?  Hanley does seem rather prone so perhaps there’s something more deep-seated there.
We certainly need to hit the ground running, and to also to have as many fit players as possible for the new season which might only be a couple of weeks gap.  We seem to have a constant supply of new m/f, but cb is probably our weak spot....as widely mentioned all (including pre) season, so it’s not a ‘hindsight’ thing.

As soon as I read it, I thought exactly the same thing. Hopefully we are wrong though. 

This is a blow. I feel that once he regained his form Hanley's presence in our defence contributed to our improvement at defending set pieces in the latter part of the season.

Its yet another training related injury. We had loads at the start of the season. I really do have to question whether certain of our players are able to cope with the workload they are given in "pre-season" or in this case in this mini "pre-season."

Also once again highlights how we are a centre back short. 

I have since re-read the article by Domogalla where he does state that their data suggested the big diference between PL and most other leagues was the length and intensity of sprints, so a good portion of pre-season was dedicated to that this year.

Now, this is only using data from Google so it has to be taken at arms length,  but if you look, most of our heaviest (often tallest) players- Zimmermann, Klose, Hanley, Vrancic (😯) Pukki and Byram have been the most on the physio table this year. Granted, Klose has a long-term injury and Byram is known as injury prone, but it's impossible not to see a little trend there. Even in terms of Teemu, who although hasn't been injured as much had definitely been jaded for a large part of this season.

The only real outliers are Stiepermann and Godfrey, the latter I think is just a real natural athlete and the former because very little makes sense about him in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if the physical load on the bigger players from intense sprint training is making them more susceptible to injury. Injury crises do just happen sometimes but it's pretty much been a year of centre halves getting injured.

On 15/06/2020 at 02:30, Terminally Yellow said:

And this is the problem with forums and Twitter today. You let your own selfish curiosity overcome your sense of empathy. You wouldn't go and knock on someone's door to ask in person, would you? The anonymity of the internet just brings out the **** head in you. 

You don't have a right to know these things just because you're a fan. You don't know just how badly the virus is infecting him and his family. All you know for sure is that player has asked for privacy. Don't be a **** and perpetuate internet gossip and speculation when you can find out who gets to play when the rest of us do - when the team is announced. 

Honestly, the absolute bell ends we get on this place 🙄

I agree. We all seem to be preoccupied with how a player with covid will affect our chance of winning matches, instead of wishing him a speedy recovery. Life isn't all about football

3 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

This is difficult for me to understand...

Why was it hard to say that a Norwich player had been playing well?

Because I’m not or ever been his biggest fan! As said it pains to say as I didn’t think he had it in him!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

This is difficult for me to understand...

Why was it hard to say that a Norwich player had been playing well?

If this wasn’t sarcastic - Indy has something of a reputation as a Hanley critic. The fact he can hold his hands up and agree he was wrong as Hanley’s been a positive influence recently is testament to him. If only all posters were able to... 🤔

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good to know that now Hanleys out our other three are Zimmerman (injury prone) Klose (only just back from a almost season ending injury that many other players never recover from) and Hanley (A midfielder)

It's almost like we should have bought a centreback or something

I thought most of the clamour for a new CB was because people didn’t think Hanley was good enough for the Prem. Surely not because we should have had 5 players for 2 spots???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good to know that now Hanleys out our other three are Zimmerman (injury prone) Klose (only just back from a almost season ending injury that many other players never recover from) and Hanley (A midfielder)

It's almost like we should have bought a centreback or something

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we'd have known the frankly incredible injury issues we've had with our centre halves, we'd have definitely bought one. I'd have bought a centre back if it were me, but I understand why other positions were preferred. 

It does bring me back to just how bad our recruitment was going into this season. We needed a goalkeeper, central defender, defensive midfielder, winger and striker. We didn't get a central defender, and the goalkeeper, defensive midfielder and winger brought in have already been sent packing. The striker we got remains a doubt too. 

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we'd have known the frankly incredible injury issues we've had with our centre halves, we'd have definitely bought one. I'd have bought a centre back if it were me, but I understand why other positions were preferred. 

It does bring me back to just how bad our recruitment was going into this season. We needed a goalkeeper, central defender, defensive midfielder, winger and striker. We didn't get a central defender, and the goalkeeper, defensive midfielder and winger brought in have already been sent packing. The striker we got remains a doubt too. 

I'd argue it was pretty short sighted to let Amadou walk in January. I know he hadn't pulled up any trees but he still provided depth at central defence and an option in midfield. Letting him left us reliant on Klose getting back to fitness and Zimmerman and Hanley both remaining fit despite earlier injuries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry53 said:

I agree. We all seem to be preoccupied with how a player with covid will affect our chance of winning matches, instead of wishing him a speedy recovery. Life isn't all about football

🤫

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'd argue it was pretty short sighted to let Amadou walk in January. I know he hadn't pulled up any trees but he still provided depth at central defence and an option in midfield. Letting him left us reliant on Klose getting back to fitness and Zimmerman and Hanley both remaining fit despite earlier injuries. 

That's a very good point.  I have to wonder whether their thinking was that we'd probably go down, in which case it would be better to save the £ and let Amadou go, with 4 fit CBs at that point, & that keeping Amadou was unlikely to make the difference between staying up or relegation.

Also it is a concern whether our approach to training is part of the reason for a high level of CB injury this season - here we are again, having the debate about whether 4 CBs gives us enough cover or whether we need more.   There's no way to know for sure but it is a definite question mark.

Also to say Hanley was immense against Sheff Utd, a team let's face it who are happy with the physical side to the game and he was really dominant in defence.  That game came down to a very small number of chances on either side and could have gone either way - which is not what I was expecting when I went to it.

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

That's a very good point.  I have to wonder whether their thinking was that we'd probably go down, in which case it would be better to save the £ and let Amadou go, with 4 fit CBs at that point, & that keeping Amadou was unlikely to make the difference between staying up or relegation.

Also it is a concern whether our approach to training is part of the reason for a high level of CB injury this season - here we are again, having the debate about whether 4 CBs gives us enough cover or whether we need more.   There's no way to know for sure but it is a definite question mark.

Also to say Hanley was immense against Sheff Utd, a team let's face it who are happy with the physical side to the game and he was really dominant in defence.  That game came down to a very small number of chances on either side and could have gone either way - which is not what I was expecting when I went to it.

The attitude to our loanees this season has been a bit of a head scratcher really- I don't understand why we let Fahrmann walk too as we're now one injury away from asking Michael McGovern to keep us up. Yes keeping Amadou probably wouldn't end up being the difference but our chances with him feel higher than our chances if we have to play Tettey or Byram in central defence for an extended period. 

I get the player may be unhappy but letting them walk to save what is probably, in the grand scheme of club finances, not that much money without looking to replace them is silly in my opinion. 

Grant H was never keen on resuming the season as Mrs H is pregnant and due to give birth imminently and wasn't happy putting family in jeopardy. 

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Grant H was never keen on resuming the season as Mrs H is pregnant and due to give birth imminently and wasn't happy putting family in jeopardy. 

And? ....any more to add or are you " just saying".  I wouldn't want to put my family in jeopardy  either. Would you?  If yes, then why. If no then why comment on how Grant Hanley  feels about it. .. without  saying so.  

On 14/06/2020 at 19:53, daisy said:

Hanley is not the player who was tested positive.

According to Mr Webber the player who tested positive tested negative after a private test two days later. So I suggest your rants and info are very questionable indeed and you know no more or no less than any other supporter.

2 hours ago, City 2nd said:

According to Mr Webber the player who tested positive tested negative after a private test two days later. So I suggest your rants and info are very questionable indeed and you know no more or no less than any other supporter.

Really? Told you Hanley was injured last Sunday, also that the player who tested positive was not Hanley. I certainly wasn`t going to reveal which player it was as he had asked for privacy, was purely letting people know that Hanley was not that player! 

• Like 1

Those who claim people commenting on our cb issues are benefitting from hindsight ought to double check - many of us were talking about it before a ball was even kicked. It is criminal that our weakest area wasn’t addressed in close-season and even more so that we didn’t do anything in January despite being a further player down (Klose); I feel we are actually somewhat lucky the season got extended and allowed Klose to get fit.

14 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Those who claim people commenting on our cb issues are benefitting from hindsight ought to double check - many of us were talking about it before a ball was even kicked. It is criminal that our weakest area wasn’t addressed in close-season and even more so that we didn’t do anything in January despite being a further player down (Klose); I feel we are actually somewhat lucky the season got extended and allowed Klose to get fit.

The discussion was more about quality rather than quantity, whether Hanley was good enough and if we should bring in someone better. Had we signed another centre back, Hanley would probably have been shipped out.

Four centre backs should have been enough. If Godfrey and Zimmermann had stayed fit and in decent form, then Klose and Hanley wouldn't have played many games, never mind a fifth centre back picking up a wage and taking up a place in the squad.

Last season, we had just three strikers, and one of those didn't start a league  match due to the form and fitness of the two ahead of him (well, Pukki). Hypothetically, had two of them picked up long term (minimum three months) injuries like three of our four centre backs did at the start of this season, I'm sure lots of people would've been up in arms and claiming we should've had a fourth. 

It's a balancing act between having enough cover and not having too many players taking up a wage whilst twiddling their thumbs, and sometimes it's just a lottery based on injuries.

• Like 1

Hanley’s been injured more time than he’s been fit, same ca pun be said of Klose, the reality is we need CB who a robust and not prone to injury.

A Hanley on form will be missed but hopefully the rumour of Zimmermann being injured are incorrect and he’ll be fit to play alongside Godfrey.

It may be a balancing act but we got it wrong - in terms of both quality and quantity.  A side that lets in 50+ goals in the Championship clearly needs to look at its defence or set-up, not continue with precisely the same personnel in a higher league. No hindsight needed whatsoever to work that one out.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It may be a balancing act but we got it wrong - in terms of both quality and quantity.  A side that lets in 50+ goals in the Championship clearly needs to look at its defence or set-up, not continue with precisely the same personnel in a higher league. No hindsight needed whatsoever to work that one out.

The issue is finances last summer, we didn’t have the money to upgrade the defence, we’ve invested in youth with Bushiri and Famewo, I think the hope is one or both will make the step up next season.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

In terms of quality, I think so. 

In terms of quantity, I disagree. Four centre backs should have been enough and it was only through sheer misfortune that three of them picked up bad injuries at the same time.

We've survived with just three full backs for two positions, for example. Had Lewis and Aarons both got injured, would there have been uproar that we should have signed more?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sorry Branston, but there IS a lot of hindsight about it!! The overwhelming view on here pre-season was that we should give the players who did so brilliantly last season their chance in the Premier League and that we shouldn't repeat the mistakes we made after previous promotions when we let Malky and Iwan go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In terms of quality, I think so. 

In terms of quantity, I disagree. Four centre backs should have been enough and it was only through sheer misfortune that three of them picked up bad injuries at the same time.

We've survived with just three full backs for two positions, for example. Had Lewis and Aarons both got injured, would there have been uproar that we should have signed more?

Agree. Plus we had signed Amadou on loan, who was also capable of playing there in an emergency. That we ended up having to utilise our fifth-choice centre back out of necessity was very unlikely; that we ended up having to play him alongside Tettey is almost unfathomable. The issue was with quality rather than quantity.