Indy

Forum Going to the dogs!

I’ve never seen so many threads just go into the same political arguments and generally the same person throws it down this line of thread, not since the days of Morty has this forum been so poor!

Even the The Come on Sarah thread started to go that way till a couple of us pulled it back.

Is this really a Norwich Football Thread? If so like Brexit maybe those who run this Forum should clean it up and move the Coronavirus thread to non football, maybe if it’s there those who want to argue left or right wing politics can do so without spreading this to nearly every thread!

• Like 7

It's one bloody person every single bloody thread and we all know it. We all like and indulge in a ding-dong on occasions but every thread is turned to mush at the moment.

• Like 2

The answer is to block him.

It took me ages to do it because I’ve always agreed with free speech and after all what is the point of a forum discussion without that?  Then on one occasion he falsely accused me of something I find utterly obnoxious and I decided I wasn’t prepared to put up with it anymore. I have to say the forum works perfectly well without him and I have no regrets in the slightest.

• Like 1

Agreed, to be honest I look in and can’t wait to just put Brexit, covid to bed and get back to reading Lakey’s positive ramblings! I actually miss them!

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

The answer is to block him.

It took me ages to do it because I’ve always agreed with free speech and after all what is the point of a forum discussion without that?  Then on one occasion he falsely accused me of something I find utterly obnoxious and I decided I wasn’t prepared to put up with it anymore. I have to say the forum works perfectly well without him and I have no regrets in the slightest.

Trouble with that Hairy is the thread still degenerates with response he gets from us all, without blocking everyone which defeats the purpose we still see threads ruined.

But agree that blocking that certain poster is pretty much the only option. Morty got banned for less than I’m seeing nowadays.

• Like 1

It started off as a genuine question re slogans on shirts but has ventured beyond that

No different than discussing Betting Companies being on sponsors

My response in the last week is to post much less as the arguments just seem to become a bit boring if I'm being honest. Discussion is worth it for stimulating the mind but it's become too tribal.

Will just stick with the music thread for the time being!

A very good thing for this forum is that football returns this week 🙂 and we will all have views on what happens.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's one bloody person every single bloody thread and we all know it. We all like and indulge in a ding-dong on occasions but every thread is turned to mush at the moment.

whereas in reality I have posted on 3 or 4 of the top 12 posts

the difference is I don't use a multitude of names, nor use foal language either - and am happy to back my arguments with evidence. The latest being a false accusation that I referred to around 300 City fans as members of the FLA.

So feel free to criticise my posts - but have the integrity to not lie about what I have posted, or where I have posted.

And maybe check who started these non football threads, not me guv - or maybe why comments were addressed to me on the provocative Black lives matter thread - when I had not made any comment

So give off your high horses, stop lying and recognise where the real problems are coming from.

ps remind of the last time you had a spat on this forum, and who was it with

Everyone is cooped up and angry. As a worldwide population we've had our routines and control stripped from us by the situation with the pandemic, and I believe you can see the social-psychological issues presenting similarly all over the place. 

If coronavirus disappeared tomorrow and suddenly the world was 'normal' again, the forum would go back to its usual predominantly pleasant self because people would have their own lives to get back to. Everyone wants someone something to rage against, be it the killing of George Flloyd or Dominic Cummings testing his eyes, but if everyone hadn't been locked inside for months the reactions would have been a fraction of what they have been IMO.

These 'battle threads' have always flared up periodically, they're nothing new, but admittedly I find myself avoiding 80% of threads on here at the moment because it usually takes 2-3 posts before something inflammatory is said and we go from 'did Mario Vrancic look better with blond hair' to 'Ben Godfrey is a leftie boomer who we should sell to the brexiteers and loan back for the season to play at DM against the Tories'.

Essentially everyone is just bored and frustrated. I'm hoping having actual football to talk about simmers the tempers a bit, but I'm also one of these awful people who can just not look at threads if I know everyone in the thread is likely to be one of our forum experts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would love to see more moderation on this board and in particular an enforcement of non-football topics being moved to the non-football section. 

This is a message board for those who want to discuss Norwich City football club and not a platform for points scoring on mind-numbingly simplified 'lefty' and 'righty' politics. 

I can only imagine that the amount of threads that descend into pointless unrelated arguments puts off both new joiners and lurkers from contributing to the forum. Leaving the board and discussion to grow stale.

If people want to engage into a political debate online - there are numerous online platforms that will facilitate a discussion better than a bloody football message board. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 1

Bill has been vile on this forum and it's surprising he's allowed to continue posting.

Convinced himself that everyone who has had enough of him is all one and the same. Why else would you continue posting otherwise. If he behaves that way in the real world then that is surely a lonely existence.

Jools once accused SwindonCanary of being some kind of foil who comes up with utter rubbish and troll arguments to turn people against the arguments of those on the right, I can only hope the same is true of Bill - the alternative is just a completely unpleasant person.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ld-99 said:

Bill has been vile on this forum and it's surprising he's allowed to continue posting.

Convinced himself that everyone who has had enough of him is all one and the same. Why else would you continue posting otherwise. If he behaves that way in the real world then that is surely a lonely existence.

Jools once accused SwindonCanary of being some kind of foil who comes up with utter rubbish and troll arguments to turn people against the arguments of those on the right, I can only hope the same is true of Bill - the alternative is just a completely unpleasant person.

And that rather underpins my point. Somebody who joined in mid Aril to post twice immediately, has not posted since - yet coincidentally logins in to post an attack on me within seconds of my posting.

Do so by all means. Even use evidence (gasp) - but don't try to make out that you are some concerned bystander who just happened to be passing the second I post

It is all too easy to spot, at times

I'm one of those that has blocked seeing his posts but I'll wager that in his responses he's accused someone of being a duplicate account and how he's never said anything that's not correct and how everyone else is a liar.

How did I do for marks out of 10?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

In fairness, half the threads nowadays initially get dragged off topic by posters ignoring what was actually posted and instead demanding the poster apologises for something said six months ago on another thread. Others have been taken off topic by people trying to predict when it will get taken off topic by someone else.

Play the post not the poster. I’ve had loads of arguments on here - I can remember what most were about, but I couldn’t tell you who half of them were with.

As for the non football point, there hasn’t been much football to talk about for the last three months. I think everyone has gotten tired of it. I used to check the coronavirus thread at lunch time and there’d already been five pages that day. Now you sometimes don’t get five posts.

This isn’t aimed at being a witch hunt, more to ask for non football threads being moved to non football forum, as football is returning all other threads and posters can argue left or right till their heart’s content......I miss Lakey’s threads, as above where’s Parma gone, nutty very rarely posts.....

I don’t care who’s left right or centre, I care how fast the vaccine comes in to allow us to get the global economy going again so I can pay my bills. I care that all lives matter no matter of ethnic background, I care that people have a right of an opinion and even if it differs or might not be correct should be responded to in a sensible and pleasant manner.

Respect should be awarded to everyone and everyone can make mistakes or post something incorrectly doesn’t mean it should be attacked on ever time. We are all common in being Norwich supporters and should spect this first and foremost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

In fairness, half the threads nowadays initially get dragged off topic by posters ignoring what was actually posted and instead demanding the poster apologises for something said six months ago on another thread. Others have been taken off topic by people trying to predict when it will get taken off topic by someone else.

Play the post not the poster. I’ve had loads of arguments on here - I can remember what most were about, but I couldn’t tell you who half of them were with.

As for the non football point, there hasn’t been much football to talk about for the last three months. I think everyone has gotten tired of it. I used to check the coronavirus thread at lunch time and there’d already been five pages that day. Now you sometimes don’t get five posts.

I predict this post will be dragged off topic in no less than 2 posts and I demand you apologise for not implying that I can't do that.

On an unrelated note, what are everyones opinions on the sacking of Constantinople?

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bill said:

whereas in reality I have posted on 3 or 4 of the top 12 posts

the difference is I don't use a multitude of names, nor use foal language either - and am happy to back my arguments with evidence. The latest being a false accusation that I referred to around 300 City fans as members of the FLA.

So feel free to criticise my posts - but have the integrity to not lie about what I have posted, or where I have posted.

And maybe check who started these non football threads, not me guv - or maybe why comments were addressed to me on the provocative Black lives matter thread - when I had not made any comment

So give off your high horses, stop lying and recognise where the real problems are coming from.

ps remind of the last time you had a spat on this forum, and who was it with

The bit I liked was the high horse using foal language.🤣

Very funny Bill👍

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

On an unrelated note, what are everyones opinions on the sacking of Constantinople?

Should take it to a tribunal for unfair dismissal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The simple fact of the matter is this forum needs a regular moderator. It's doesn't need to be an employee of archant. It can be one of us. But there needs to be a definite enforcement of courtesy and respect rules.

Threads need to be reallocated to the right forums.

A forum needs to be created to allow those that want to come here solely for the purposes of being a **** to other users and that forum entirely allowed to do it's own thing while the rest of us engage in more rational, reasoned debate.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I predict this post will be dragged off topic in no less than 2 posts and I demand you apologise for not implying that I can't do that.

Well that depends on which sacking you're talking about... There were a fair few by various parties!

PS - You're quite right to demand an apology off Aggy, he's bang out of order here. 🙃

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The simple fact of the matter is this forum needs a regular moderator. It's doesn't need to be an employee of archant. It can be one of us. But there needs to be a definite enforcement of courtesy and respect rules.

Agree with this - I'm also on an NFL forum and the (community not employee) mods on there rule with an iron fist. I actually think they're too strict, but no dispute that the threads are policed effectively and rule breaking dealt with.

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The bit I liked was the high horse using foal language.🤣

Very funny Bill👍

completely international 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Whilst this is partly true, what's to stop people from just ignoring it? Literally pretending the posts don't exist?

This forum has really gone to sh@t recently, I initially put it down to boredom, but I'm not sure. 

Unfortunately, more than just one person sees themselves as a political expert. And far too many can't just let idiotic posts slide. So there are many more to blame here.

There are MANY posters making this place a sarcastic, political, point-scoring, 'I know better than everyone' shambles. 

Here's a crazy, radical thought:

It's a football forum. Post about football. If there's no football on, its going to be quieter, obviously. If you have anything else to discuss there are options available. Either post in the non-football section, or go to a COMPLETELY different forum. Google will 100% help you find like-minded people for like-minded discussion.

But do us actual football fans a favour, leave our forum alone. 

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, Aggy said:

In fairness, half the threads nowadays initially get dragged off topic by posters ignoring what was actually posted and instead demanding the poster apologises for something said six months ago on another thread.

au contraire

a certain number consistently misrepresent what has been sent - deliberately

referring back to what was actually stated is a vital requirement if certain folk are to be held account, and the integrity of the forum is to be maintained

an apology is not necessarily needed - but that others (where interested) have the chance to judge themselves is

42 minutes ago, Bill said:

And that rather underpins my point. Somebody who joined in mid Aril to post twice immediately, has not posted since - yet coincidentally logins in to post an attack on me within seconds of my posting.

Do so by all means. Even use evidence (gasp) - but don't try to make out that you are some concerned bystander who just happened to be passing the second I post

It is all too easy to spot, at times

Again, I'm going to defend Bill from the witch-hunt, even though he does get on my wick at times too. He's spot on here with this post and it isn't the first time a new poster has signed up and instantly started laying in to him, or has used an account solely to argue with him. It's clear that there is at least one regular with multiple accounts who use them just for arguments with Bill.

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you."

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Again, I'm going to defend Bill from the witch-hunt, even though he does get on my wick at times too. He's spot on here with this post and it isn't the first time a new poster has signed up and instantly started laying in to him, or has used an account solely to argue with him. It's clear that there is at least one regular with multiple accounts who use them just for arguments with Bill.

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you."

Thank you.

I'm glad someone else has noted the problem. Just as the same person who has consistently posted snide comments aimed at me in many other threads - hence my joke about the Obsession parfum

You may also notice that these 'sudden arrivals' usually end with claims about how 'horrible' I am.  As I say, I have compèred enough hen nights (they are worse) to be bothered about the content here. Try playing Up the Creek on a Sunda night in the early 90's (ouch 😱).  So I am not playing the victim - but wanting to point out where this is coming from

Why have these non football threads not been moved. Why is it the whiners about me, are the very ones who have either started and/or posted provocative comment in those non football threads.

Ban me if you wish - but it won't stop the same malicious posts, the fowl language or 'those/ who use this forum for, what he called 'a bit of sport'.