Matt Juler

Norwich player with positive COVID-19 test

1 minute ago, Van wink said:
  • Contact tracing will be conducted for close contacts (any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) of laboratory-confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients.

Hmmm. I think this policy simply reflect the still limited capability we have here, as it totally goes against the science. You do not need to have been in contact with someone for 15 minutes to acquire Coronavirus, it only takes a second if they cough or sneeze on you for example.

South Korea by all accounts stamped on this quickly because, with fewer concerns about civil liberties, they were armed with mobile phone data that told them where positive cases had been and with whom. They even had people cleaning door handles they might have touched.

Clearly we wouldnt be nearly capable of such an undertaking, but that would be an operation supported by the evidence. 

The above policy seems arbitrary, contrary to the science and seems simply to reflect our limitations

One obvious concern is the fact that the rest of the squad aren't due to be tested till early next week. When do they get the results? Same for spurs? And during that time I suppose all players from both teams are training as normal. Surely that's a recipe for disaster?

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:
  • Contact tracing will be conducted for close contacts (any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) of laboratory-confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients.

Just realized your link is from the CDC. Not saying our policy may not be the same, but also possible the US may have different policies

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Hmmm. I think this policy simply reflect the still limited capability we have here, as it totally goes against the science. You do not need to have been in contact with someone for 15 minutes to acquire Coronavirus, it only takes a second if they cough or sneeze on you for example.

South Korea by all accounts stamped on this quickly because, with fewer concerns about civil liberties, they were armed with mobile phone data that told them where positive cases had been and with whom. They even had people cleaning door handles they might have touched.

Clearly we wouldnt be nearly capable of such an undertaking, but that would be an operation supported by the evidence. 

The above policy seems arbitrary, contrary to the science and seems simply to reflect our limitations

Yep absolutely but ultimately you have to have a case definition for contacts. It could be changed as track and trace gears up, believe me if my experience is typical it is has a long way to go yet.

Spurs guy who was correct with the Lamela goal yesterday also said Pukki asked to come off early because he didn’t feel well. Now that could very well be nonsense, and even if true, it could be something completely unrelated, but then again who knows.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

One obvious concern is the fact that the rest of the squad aren't due to be tested till early next week. When do they get the results? Same for spurs? And during that time I suppose all players from both teams are training as normal. Surely that's a recipe for disaster?

My exact thoughts too, C. I cannot see how with this ridiculously flawed system the league can restart in FIVE days. Let’s not forget there’s a player from another unarmed club that’s also tested positive, if that wasn’t already Spurs then we could now have 3 clubs that are carrying the virus. Can’t see how the league can restart.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

They wont be tested I suspect due to incubation period and testing window.

This from the gov.uk website:

If you have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), however mild, OR you have received a positive coronavirus (COVID-19) test result, the clear medical advice is to immediately self-isolate at home for at least 7 days from when your symptoms started. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You should arrange to have a test to see if you have COVID-19 – go to testing to arrange.

Consider alerting the people that you have had close contact within the last 48 hours to let them know you have symptoms of coronavirus COVID-19.

Following a positive test result, you will receive a request by text, email or phone to log into the NHS Test and Trace service website and provide information about recent close contacts

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just realized your link is from the CDC. Not saying our policy may not be the same, but also possible the US may have different policies

We use the same definition

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

We use the same definition

Fair enough. The copy and paste I just did from the gov.uk website says 'provide information about close contacts'

If thats only people you've spent 15 minutes with in the last 2 days its not many people. 

But anyone packed into the tube or, on a protest march for example, shouldnt be reassuring themselves that they'll be fine because it was less than 15 minutes...

13 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Fair enough. The copy and paste I just did from the gov.uk website says 'provide information about close contacts'

If thats only people you've spent 15 minutes with in the last 2 days its not many people. 

But anyone packed into the tube or, on a protest march for example, shouldnt be reassuring themselves that they'll be fine because it was less than 15 minutes...

Indeed, it’s just a case definition for contact tracing.  Any close contact can result in infection.

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Not true. Else you'd be able to see whomever you wanted, as long as it was under 15 minutes.

If you touch someone you have the potential to pick up the virus. If you then touch a mucous membrane with your, say hand, you can contract the virus. It has been shown to survive on fomites for up to 3 days

EDIT: Replied before I saw VW had cleared it up

Edited by kick it off

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Spurs guy who was correct with the Lamela goal yesterday also said Pukki asked to come off early because he didn’t feel well. Now that could very well be nonsense, and even if true, it could be something completely unrelated, but then again who knows.

Pukki played for 75 minutes, which was as planned. He was not the only key player withdrawn after 75 mins.

Let's pray:

1 The player (and his friends / family, if affected) recover quickly and fully. 

2 The player is not a key member of the team.

3 There are no more positive tests.

Question - what is the EPL protocol for postponing games due to positive tests? (Or have Sky TV yet to decide, says he cynically).

(Spurs can confidently say that the player did not come into close contact as they have studied the match video recordings).

Edited by Pugin

3 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Pukki played for 75 minutes, which was as planned. He was not the only key player withdrawn after 75 mins.

Let's pray:

Question - what is the EPL protocol for postponing games due to positive tests? (Or have Sky TV yet to decide, says he cynically).

(Spurs can confidently say that the player did not come into close contact as they have studied the match video recordings).

@ Pugino. I read somewhere that covid  cases are to be treated as normal injuries....... but how many injuries are infectious ?  And how many cases per squad is acceptable? Its all bollix as someone said very succinctly earlier. Plain wrong that even a single test or piece of ppe is used unnecessarily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Van wink said:

It really dependS how frequent the testing is, I don’t know the answer to that.

But asymptomatic spread would be the real problem here.

It’s twice a week. But for me the issue here is they travelled together and played a game whilst eating for results. I know they could still spread it in training but it’s surely not the sane risk as travelling to London on coaches and sharing an away dressing room.

if loads of our players now test positive we are screwed. 

• Like 1

Do the players travel by coach ? If so the whole bloody team could have it now. 
Watch the allegations now that we are deliberately trying to get the season called off..

This is an illness with no cure and footballers coaches etc are being asked to act as gladiators. Spurs must be wondering how the hell this happened. Testing I understood meant that there was no chance of a player tuning up for a game positive.

One last point, if constant testing means it can be stopped, pity they can’t give those tests to doctors, nurses, carers and the care home residents and the like. It’s good to know footballers are considered much more important than our nurses etc.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s twice a week. But for me the issue here is they travelled together and played a game whilst eating for results. I know they could still spread it in training but it’s surely not the sane risk as travelling to London on coaches and sharing an away dressing room.

if loads of our players now test positive we are screwed. 

That’s exactly the point I just made, do they travel as individuals or on the coach ? As if on the coach air conditioning is considered a major spreader of the virus.

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Let's pray:

I don’t think there is a protocol for postponing gsmes. As far as I can tell you just have to play without any infected players even if it means putting out an U23 side. The worry now of course (apart from this players health) is that when they are tested on Monday or Tuesday we suddenly get a load more positive results and presumably we won’t get those results til mid week. 

There is such desperation to complete the season that even in the unlikely event a number of players test positive the cynicism within the PL is such I fully expect them to say that at one point earlier in the season we had six or seven players out injured and this is no different. Get on with it! 

• Like 1

Now I have read all press statements I have a burning question

What the hell were players doing going into matches without test results ? The tests were Thursday, the match took place Friday and clearly at that time the results were not back. Surely this match should have been Saturday when the results were known.

i understood the whole idea was that players when playing would be shown to be negative at the time.
Last point, are they taking this 15 minutes guidelines and adding their own take. I understood it to be lower risk if under 15 minutes not no risk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Now I have read all press statements I have a burning question

What the hell were players doing going into matches without test results ? The tests were Thursday, the match took place Friday and clearly at that time the results were not back. Surely this match should have been Saturday when the results were known.

i understood the whole idea was that players when playing would be shown to be negative at the time.
Last point, are they taking this 15 minutes guidelines and adding their own take. I understood it to be lower risk if under 15 minutes not no risk.

Yes I agree. The whole point is that supposedly you know everyone tested negative before gathering for the games so that whilst the risk is not completely gone it’s removed as far as possible.

if they are going to play games on almost every day of the week then they need to adjust the testing days so that teams are always tested and have their results back ahead of travelling to gsmes and sharing dressing rooms. Despite the post above I find it hard to believe that our team all drove themselves to Spurs in their own cars. 

10 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Article says - "Clubs being forbidden from travelling for further than 90 minutes"

You can't get from Norwich to Spurs ground in 90 minutes in a car

Exemptions for remote clubs like Newcastle - I would imagine also apply to us - how many places with Championship or PL teams can you get to in 90mins in a car from NR1?

How can Spurs be so sure their players werent in contact with the player for a prolonged time?....was the player only on the pitch for a few minutes?....or does he...as I've now convinced myself, play in an isolated area of pitch ..i.e Goalkeeper?

They've ve studied the video footage apparently.  I didn't  realise you could see the virus. I would've said a better idea would be to isolate, test and get the results before the players meet again. But i guess that would be too sensible. 

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

results should be the same day. Tourists arriving at airports can get tested and the results back on the same day, so I´m sure football players can get same day results

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I dare say Leeds fans will soon be in touch claiming we are trying to derail the season restart....

Indeed, they are dragging their heels (knuckles) on this. This thread has been going since yesterday and no sign of them. Don't they know there's a conspiracy in their midst?

51 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Article says - "Clubs being forbidden from travelling for further than 90 minutes"

You can't get from Norwich to Spurs ground in 90 minutes in a car

The Only Air and Road-Legal Flying Car You Can Buy Today Is This ...  You can if you have one of these.......

This whole sorry situation with regard to the resumption of PL football to give the nation a morale boost is filling me with even more apathy.