Matt Juler

Norwich player with positive COVID-19 test

Agreed, the fact that neither 

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Yeh mate I know the normal rules, I just don’t know how things differ for EPL footballers, which of course In reality they shouldn’t.

The fact that neither squads are isolating for 14 days, shows the rules are different. 

Crazy , and too early. As youve said before. 

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The vast majoriity of masks are simple surgical masks. In surgery the staff wear masks mainly to protect the patient from spittle flying into an operative cavity. Though it does help protect your mucus membranes as well. I tended to wear a visor for that reason. 

So most surgical masks are to protect others, not yourself. They're certainly not properly effective at protecting the wearer from a virus. Particularly if they have been worn for a while and have retained moisture

Don’t let’s get into an argument about masks, yes the home made hobbies are to prevent spread, maybe EPL footballers should be using N95 ones.

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Greavsy is suggesting there are different rules for EPL footballers? I’ve not seen anything to suggest that but would be interested to know if there were and what the implications are.

Hopefully it remains at just one guy - certainly there doesn’t seem to have been a subsequent mass of + results from other sides when they’ve had one....but they were earlier in the restart process.  Presumably a positive test beings forward the next set of testing?

When we’re the tests done? If Thursday, the player would be able to be in the squad Friday anyway, if the following test shows negative, or am I missing something? If Southampton think our squad is riddled with Covid, perhaps they won’t fancy playing us too much! 

9 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Agreed, the fact that neither 

The fact that neither squads are isolating for 14 days, shows the rules are different. 

Crazy , and too early. As youve said before. 

The rules don’t really cover all circumstances, there are contact tracers who have to look at more complex situations like Care Homes and make a judgement on the circumstances prevailing, I’ve seen nothing specific to EPL, but suspec there must be.

Edited by Van wink

19 minutes ago, Diane said:

Tweet from a journo who covers Spurs

Spurs confirm that although the player played against them in the friendly, he did not come in close contact with any of their squad, adding: "Our testing has continued to return only negative results for COVID since one positive reading was confirmed almost two weeks ago.” 

Played in the game but he didn’t come into contact ? That makes no sense . How do you play and not come into any contact with any of the Spurs squad? Even the Keeper gets close at Corners? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Greavsy is suggesting there are different rules for EPL footballers? I’ve not seen anything to suggest that but would be interested to know if there were and what the implications are.

There are due to the testing being widespread.

Player who tested positive is isolating for 7 days, everyone else carries on unless they also test positive.

image.png.bf870213239d40a478eb37aa0ffad235.png

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Played in the game but he didn’t come into contact ? That makes no sense . How do you play and not come into any contact with any of the Spurs squad? Even the Keeper gets close at Corners? 

Its bollox

• Like 1

Just now, kick it off said:

There are due to the testing being widespread.

Player who tested positive is isolating for 7 days, everyone else carries on unless they also test positive.

image.png.bf870213239d40a478eb37aa0ffad235.png

Cheers

• Like 1

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Close contact in regard to Covid/football is defined as 15 minutes in close proximity - I read it somewhere but can't find the link

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Close contact in regard to Covid/football is defined as 15 minutes in close proximity - I read it somewhere but can't find the link

Yes that’s about right, but the thing is these guys are running hard, breathing hard, potentially far more likely to spread through droplets, and also far more likely to inhale deeply into the lung. Particularly for BAME players I still  think there is quite a high risk here.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I dont really see how they can be exempt. Its a Public Health matter. Some diseases are 'Notifiable Diseases' ie Public Health have to be notified of cases, for them to do contact tracing. When Coronavirus first reared its head we kept asking, should we be reporting this?! Should we be notifying Public Health. The basic answer was 'No, it's too big a job for Public Health'

Now we have track and trace capability, and Public Health are going to try to do what ideally we would have wanted to do from the beginning. 

I dont see how, with a national strategy footballers could be exempt

All THIS IS WHY THEY SHOULD JUST CALL IT QUITS NOW AND VOID IT ALL! If we go down so be it. To play football at the moment is ridiculous. The different rules for them just because there's money involved are pathetic. Stop this farce now. 

Drunken rant over. Ill probably delete in the morning 😂

• Like 2

I think posters are missing the main points here. Firstly, that it is all part of the integrity of the game that a team fighting to avoid relegation should have to play on with a virus-ravaged squad. Secondly, that having to play on without even just one infected player stops being part of the integrity of the game if that player is, say, Harry Kane, as opposed to a bunch of nonentities playing for Yokel FC...

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont really see how they can be exempt. Its a Public Health matter. Some diseases are 'Notifiable Diseases' ie Public Health have to be notified of cases, for them to do contact tracing. When Coronavirus first reared its head we kept asking, should we be reporting this?! Should we be notifying Public Health. The basic answer was 'No, it's too big a job for Public Health'

Now we have track and trace capability, and Public Health are going to try to do what ideally we would have wanted to do from the beginning. 

I dont see how, with a national strategy footballers could be exempt

I agree which is why I asked the question, Chris Gorehams tweet might suggest otherwise however.

Edited by Van wink

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not true. Else you'd be able to see whomever you wanted, as long as it was under 15 minutes.

If you touch someone you have the potential to pick up the virus. If you then touch a mucous membrane with your, say hand, you can contract the virus. It has been shown to survive on fomites for up to 3 days

You’re forgetting the special rules that have been agreed so that football could resume - in part for government PR to ‘give the country a boost’, I believe the phrase is. The fact they can play at all is at odds with current restrictions for everyone else, presumably due to the continuous testing regimes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You’re forgetting the special rules that have been agreed so that football could resume - in part for government PR to ‘give the country a boost’, I believe the phrase is. The fact they can play at all is at odds with current restrictions for everyone else, presumably due to the continuous testing regimes.

This. ☝️

The new app they are hoping to launch would see people who have been in proximity to confirmed cases according to their phone data receive an alert telling them to self-isolate for 14 days. Im sure it wont say 'Unless you're a Premier League footballer'

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think posters are missing the main points here. Firstly, that it is all part of the integrity of the game that a team fighting to avoid relegation should have to play on with a virus-ravaged squad. Secondly, that having to play on without even just one infected player stops being part of the integrity of the game if that player is, say, Harry Kane, as opposed to a bunch of nonentities playing for Yokel FC...

To put it more seriously, these  supposedly stringent EPL rules are designed to allow the season to be finished, come what may. It is absurd to describe as stringent rules that mean, now there has been a positive test, that fellow NCFC players won’t be tested until next week

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Not true. Else you'd be able to see whomever you wanted, as long as it was under 15 minutes.

If you touch someone you have the potential to pick up the virus. If you then touch a mucous membrane with your, say hand, you can contract the virus. It has been shown to survive on fomites for up to 3 days

Its the definition used for contact tracing

• Thanks 1

Bad news as this can hurt team morale a bit.Hope not key player ...

My favorite is Tom Trybull because his wife non stop travel to Germany and around.

worst scenario is Krul ,Pukki, Buendia because they not have same quality back up.

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Its the definition used for contact tracing

Certainly that's the case for many illnesses, like Meningitis etc where contacts have to be treated. One of the reasons Doctors dont usually have to be treated after seeing patients because typically consultations, clerkings or clinic consultations are less than 15 minutes.

Im not sure if it extends to Covid, but happy to stand corrected. But the 15 minute thing flies in the face of the need for social distancing and isolating. I suspect its a pragmatic thing to prevent them having to trace too many people

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Certainly that's the case for many illnesses, like Meningitis etc where contacts have to be treated. One of the reasons Doctors dont usually have to be treated after seeing patients because typically consultations, clerkings or clinic consultations are less than 15 minutes.

Im not sure if it extends to Covid, but happy to stand corrected. But the 15 minute thing flies in the face of the need for social distancing and isolating. I suspect its a pragmatic thing to prevent them having to trace too many people

• Contact tracing will be conducted for close contacts (any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) of laboratory-confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients.

29 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I’d heard some scientists arguing the 2m thing should be scrapped as it is length of time that is more important, but that’s not current government guidance/policy for the general public. Is it different for footballers? Probably is as there’re definitely more than six people on a pitch at once as well!

As for the not having to isolate point, I suppose they’re right in that if you’re being tested regularly it probably doesn’t matter if one of you gets it. If the rest of you continue to be clear then where’s the issue. Regular folk aren’t getting tested on such a regular basis so need to be more cautious.

Would agree with earlier comment about travelling before test results are back. Seem crazy.

Surely you test, get all clear, travel, come back, isolate. Repeat. Instead the plan is test, hope you haven’t got it, travel, come back, find out the result, hope you haven’t infected not one but two squads.