Matt Juler

Norwich player with positive COVID-19 test

This is where things could start to get interesting.  I'd imagine the results released today are from tests performed on Thursday.  There is a very good chance that the player, if asymptomatic, played against Spurs yesterday and would have put quite a few people at risk.  Results from the next round of tests, both for City and Spurs will be interesting.

Unless the rules are different for footballers we must surely be looking at squad iscolation with similar implications for Spurs.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Unless the rules are different for footballers we must surely be looking at squad iscolation with similar implications for Spurs.

Always been different rules for footballers, Winky, I'm afraid. 

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I'm guessing the argument is the regular testing makes track and trace style isolation unnecessary, however until a set of clear results are received it could be a wise approach for a club to take with the rest of the squad. 

They have agreed ‘protocols’ - I think the vast level of testing means it’s just the one guy who has to isolate for a week, and presumably he’s asymptomatic so can train to a degree at home.

How can it be the case that with all the systems they have a team can travel and play during the window when they are waiting for results. Shambolic. Next tests next week will be squeaky bum time. 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Always been different rules for footballers, Winky, I'm afraid. 

Have you got a link to the rules Greavsy.?

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

How can it be the case that with all the systems they have a team can travel and play during the window when they are waiting for results. Shambolic. Next tests next week will be squeaky bum time. 

I don’t see how/why it’s shambolic?  You can pick up the virus at any time, so it could be that you’re tested and catch it on the way home.  The only shambolic thing is that they are playing at all.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

This is a big flaw in the system. They need results before teams travel to away fixtures. 

I’m sorry but this whole thing is far to premature.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t see how/why it’s shambolic?  You can pick up the virus at any time, so it could be that you’re tested and catch it on the way home.  

On the way home you should be at 2m or wearing a mask

Edited by Van wink

Tweet from a journo who covers Spurs

Spurs confirm that although the player played against them in the friendly, he did not come in close contact with any of their squad, adding: "Our testing has continued to return only negative results for COVID since one positive reading was confirmed almost two weeks ago.” 

Masks don’t stop you getting it, they stop you spreading it unless they are full grade and with visors (nor will it stop the inadvertent touching of a surface or whatever) - have you not followed any of the news?!

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Now we have a track and trace approach to Coronavirus, this could get worse.

The players have been in training together and playing in games. The individual concerned has likely been in close contact with multiple other players. Contact tracing might result in numerous players and staff (and Spurs players) having to self isolate for 14 days.

Best wishes to the player in question and fingers crossed for no complications.

All yellows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Masks don’t stop you getting it, they stop you spreading it - nor does it stop the inadvertent touching of a surface or whatever - have you not followed any of the news?!

Well that depends on the mask. As for “inadvertent touching” .....to be discouraged.

2 minutes ago, Diane said:

Spurs confirm that although the player played against them in the friendly, he did not come in close contact with any of their squad, adding: "Our testing has continued to return only negative results for COVID since one positive reading was confirmed almost two weeks ago.” 

Testing is sadly not as reliable as many would hope. There is an initial window, and tests done after 5 days are only 50% reliable. We are suspecting the false negative rate to be somewhat higher than previously acknowledged. 

I had a lady admitted with Covid symptoms. Initial swab was negative. It was only after she was swabbed again after 4 days in hospital that she tested positive

11 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Have you got a link to the rules Greavsy.?

Fraid not, just that the rules, last I heard, said if youre positive you isolate for 7 days, and anyone you've been in contact with for 14 days, but evidently not applicable to footballers. 

14 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

I'm guessing the argument is the regular testing makes track and trace style isolation unnecessary, however until a set of clear results are received it could be a wise approach for a club to take with the rest of the squad. 

It really dependS how frequent the testing is, I don’t know the answer to that.

But asymptomatic spread would be the real problem here.

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Well that depends on the mask. As for “inadvertent touching” .....to be discouraged.

The vast majoriity of masks are simple surgical masks. In surgery the staff wear masks mainly to protect the patient from spittle flying into an operative cavity. Though it does help protect your mucus membranes as well. I tended to wear a visor for that reason. 

So most surgical masks are to protect others, not yourself. They're certainly not properly effective at protecting the wearer from a virus. Particularly if they have been worn for a while and have retained moisture

7 minutes ago, Diane said:

Spurs confirm that although the player played against them in the friendly, he did not come in close contact with any of their squad, 

Trying to cover themselves. Was probably Emi. I doubt they got near him If he played well! 

• Haha 2

I suppose it depends what you’re touching…🤔?!

I don’t think footballers are meant to be wearing medical-grade PPE, including gloves, all the time.

Re accuracy of tests, there was an issue with false negatives but I thought that was partly due to poor swabbing and it was coming down rather than going up?  TBH the R-rate is climbing so that is a pretty big concern - not that the government seems to be so bothered about it at the moment.

Just now, Greavsy said:

Fraid not, just that the rules, last I heard, said if youre positive you isolate for 7 days, and anyone you've been in contact with for 14 days, but evidently not applicable to footballers. 

Yeh mate I know the normal rules, I just don’t know how things differ for EPL footballers, which of course In reality they shouldn’t.

It really dependS how frequent the testing is, I don’t know the answer to that.

But asymptomatic spread would be the real problem here.

It's the real problem for us all. It is estimated 80% of people who get the virus do not show symptoms. Thats why I think the governments initial focus on symptoms was misguided. Many people interpreted them as 'I havent got a cough or a temperature, therefore I cant have coronavirus'