TIL 1010

Black Lives Matter On PL Shirts.

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Flippin' Wiki again:

Now I find this to contradict my claim as well.

"Herodotus was told by his Egyptian guides that it took twenty years for a force of 100,000 oppressed slaves to build the pyramid (with another 10 years to build a stone causeway that connected it to a temple in the valley below). Stones were lifted into position by the use of immense machines."

Sorry, missed the source, but it could be wrong as it mentions slaves.

So not 100 years then? (Sorry, not sure if you’re using that quote to argue with me or confirm I was right!)

Edited by Aggy

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Michael Loveday’s invaluable Norwich Knowledge. You think you know the city until you read it...

You've upset me now. I had taken your original posting as irony.

I used to visit that place almost daily as a youngster. I wouldn't like to think of it being threatened because of it's origins.

The book sounds worth reading.Thanks for the reference.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

You were right.

But it is wrong about the 100,000 oppressed slaved apparently.

In fairness, using Herodotus as a source for how the great pyramid was built is a bit like asking my mate down the pub how they built the Pantheon. (Except I don’t think Herodotus had google or modern technology, so my mate’s stories will probably be more accurate.)

2 hours ago, daly said:

The world gone crazy 

A terrible thing that happened in The States and police involved should be jailed for life,  but when will these lefties be satisfied. 

You can literally pick holes in any TV program and find some remark that is going to upset someone removing theGermans episode of Fawlty Towers and Gone with the Wind is just the beginning next we’ll have bin men and roadsweepers rioting by being likened to Trigger

oh dear, another rightie upsetting himself

the decisions about what TV programmes should be shown is purely a choice that is made by a commercial company - or should the state intervene to order them what to show

I know your righties like a strong state, militarism etc - but you are taking it a bit too far towards N Korea, and Fawlty Towers is being shown

maybe it's faulty heads, such as yours that should be taken off the air

10 minutes ago, Aggy said:

In fairness, using Herodotus as a source for how the great pyramid was built is a bit like asking my mate down the pub how they built the Pantheon. (Except I don’t think Herodotus had google or modern technology, so my mate’s stories will probably be more accurate.)

Yes Aggy. Very true. Very few things can be assured by the history of those times as even their own historians presented differing views of happenings depending upon whom they wanted to favour. A lot of it was based upon Chinese whispers as well.

Nevermind. Although the original point I was trying to make was side-tracked there's nothing like a good old Wiki-war to relieve the boredom of not having football to follow on a Saturday afternoon.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It has since been reinstated. I'm not sure if the Major's line will be kept, mind. 

The script remains as broadcast however a warning about the language will be added apparently.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

Yes Aggy. Very true. Very few things can be assured by the history of those times as even their own historians presented differing views of happenings depending who they wanted to favour.

Nevermind. Although the original point I was trying to make was side-tracked there's nothing like a good old Wiki-war to relieve the boredom of not having football to follow on a Saturday afternoon.

Herodotus was alive 2,000 years after they built the great pyramid so not even a question of just bias.

As for the original point you were making (I think) - my opinion would be that there’s a huge difference between ancient buildings like those you mentioned and relatively modern statues of individuals, which, particularly when in public spaces in the middle of a town, do nothing but glorify the individual shown (and can be fairly easily moved).

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

The script remains as broadcast however a warning about the language will be added apparently.

Can't say I'm really bothered.There's a limit to the number of times I need to watch any programme or film.

I did watch "Annie and the King" the other day and it was only when I noticed that the King wasn't bald that I realised it wasn't a remake of "The King and I."

However, censorship is censorship no matter how it is dressed up or for whatever reason.

Why would people support a terrorist organisation that is funded by George Soros which in turn has an illegal funding arm straight through to the Democratic Party through ActBlue and are pleased having it printed on Premier League shirts? 

I thought football shirts cant have any allegiance to Political stance?

Very strange. 

• Like 1

For an 89 year old that George Soros certainly keeps himself busy.😀

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear, another rightie upsetting himself

the decisions about what TV programmes should be shown is purely a choice that is made by a commercial company - or should the state intervene to order them what to show

I know your righties like a strong state, militarism etc - but you are taking it a bit too far towards N Korea, and Fawlty Towers is being shown

maybe it's faulty heads, such as yours that should be taken off the air

Don’t have a clue what you are talking about North Korea

Not a case of being Right Wing more a case of common sense re Films TV programs and movies that might offend. 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Herodotus was alive 2,000 years after they built the great pyramid so not even a question of just bias.

As for the original point you were making (I think) - my opinion would be that there’s a huge difference between ancient buildings like those you mentioned and relatively modern statues of individuals, which, particularly when in public spaces in the middle of a town, do nothing but glorify the individual shown (and can be fairly easily moved).

I agree, hence my reference to the Bristol statue in my original posting on the matter

I am aware of Herodotus which is why I later added the bit about Chinese whispers in that post.

My original question was where will it end? Is there a watershed?

Perhaps it was a bit mischievous but it does seem to me that us Brits are being singled out as the nasties by many. We are guilty of a lot of horrors but the fact remains that since time began all civilisations/countries have in the past used fellow human beings as slaves.

We revere the Romans ("What the Romans Did For Us?") but they were probably the most evil of them all.

As for statues.I find that a bronze replica of a long deceased person is rather morbid (I've made this point about those surrounding the Portaloo.)

I've as much respect for them as pigeons seem to have. The lot can come down for allI care,as long as it is by democratic decision. I like sculptures in our high streets and parks...Finnish style. 

If I were to discover by accident the cure to coronavirus tomorrow the last thing I would want is a bronze replica of me standing around forevermore for people to gawp at wondering who that strange looking individual was. A £50 book token would be enough for me/

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

You've upset me now. I had taken your original posting as irony.

I used to visit that place almost daily as a youngster. I wouldn't like to think of it being threatened because of it's origins.

The book sounds worth reading.Thanks for the reference.

It also has a potted biog of Thomas Fowell Buxton, who was more instrumental than the more celebrated Wilberforce in getting anti-slavery legislation actually passed. Apparently there is a celebratory plaque in the Friends' Meeting House, but no statue. Time now perhaps for that to be remedied.

9 minutes ago, daly said:

Don’t have a clue what you are talking about North Korea

Not a case of being Right Wing more a case of common sense re Films TV programs and movies that might offend. 

Basil fawlty took a bit of shrapnel in the leg fighting against North Korea.

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It also has a potted biog of Thomas Fowell Buxton, who was more instrumental than the more celebrated Wilberforce in getting anti-slavery legislation actually passed. Apparently there is a celebratory plaque in the Friends' Meeting House, but no statue. Time now perhaps for that to be remedied.

Does it mention Nelson, who is also a target?

He was a hero at the school I attended as he was a scholar there for a while. Trafalgar day meant marching to church.He was most known for being caught scrumping apples from the school orchard. 

We were taught music in the Nelson Room. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

46 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Ridiculous that they panicked and took it down in the first place. If anything, even back then it played on taking the pee out of the views held by elder people.

Like John Cleese hinted at, it's a bit concerning if people are too thick to work this out for themselves. 

These recent weeks with all this panicking from commercial enterprises taking down tv shows etc is beyond depressing. It's also happening even though it's not being demanded by anyone, its seemingly pathetic individuals with no backbone worrying and making premature decisions without proper thought.

I'm constantly reminded of one of Rickg Gervais later stand up shows where he very eloquently explained how you can actually make a funny joke, in the right context and delivered properly about anything. I fundamentally believe in that and like him would find the reality of things all a bit too miserable without that. 

31 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Basil fawlty took a bit of shrapnel in the leg fighting against North Korea.

Would imagine that could be painful

37 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Does it mention Nelson, who is also a target?

He was a hero at the school I attended as he was a scholar there for a while. Trafalgar day meant marching to church.He was most known for being caught scrumping apples from the scoolorchard. 

We were taught music in the Nelson Room. 

Hello fellow old Pastonian.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hello fellow old Pastonian.

Fun wasn't it. I'll bet you kept the buttons on your blazer shinier than I did. Never liked the smell of Brasso.

Did you wear your pjs underneath those itchy CCF trousers? 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Proposals to rename the Black Boys in Aylsham seem to be creating a bit of local controversy.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Proposals to rename the Black Boys in Aylsham seem to be creating a bit of local controversy.

I now see the local councillor for Nelson Ward in the city wants it renamed but the Archant poll is not going her way.

My impression is widespread support around here for BLM movement but not so for renaming our local.

Edited by Van wink

18 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter

Guiding principles

According to the Black Lives Matter website, there are thirteen guiding principles that should apply to those who choose to become involved under the Black Lives Matter banner, among them Diversity, Globalism, Empathy, Restorative justice and Intergenerationality

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

You left out the other 8, and several of the ones mentioned are feel good nonsense at best. 

7 hours ago, HairyTeeth said:

Why would people support a terrorist organisation that is funded by George Soros which in turn has an illegal funding arm straight through to the Democratic Party through ActBlue and are pleased having it printed on Premier League shirts? 

I thought football shirts cant have any allegiance to Political stance?

Very strange. 

Well said and you are correct regarding shirts not being able to show any polical leaning. If it said all lives maters it might just get away with it..

Because all lives matter is a slogan of the far right and any sensible City fan would not want it anywhere near our shirt. 

• Like 1

The sentiment of the statement black lives matter is clearly laudable and there should be equality of opportunity in all respects, regardless of race or ethnicity, so in that respect all lives matter.

However, black lives matter and Black Lives Matter (BLM) are two very different things. BLM is an extreme far-left group with links to the SWP. As with many similar organisations, it deliberately gives itself a warm fluffy name that portrays reasonableness (e.g. Unite Against Fascism, Stand up to Racism, Stop the War Coalition etc) but in reality seeks to undermine the Government and sow discord with the aim of overthrowing capitalism and the state.

Football should avoid any involvement with politics and it certainly should never align itself with an extremist organisation like BLM.

31 minutes ago, Herman said:

Because all lives matter is a slogan of the far right and any sensible City fan would not want it anywhere near our shirt. 

And there's me thinking that it was the force behind the sacrifices of all those working in the health service before and during  this plague and will continue to be so after it has has gone and that this is amply expressed in both the Hippocratic Oath and the Nightingale Oath that many still swear to today and all adhere to.

And there's me assuming that it is an example followed by most decent citizens among us on a daily basis.

Now I have found out that it is, after all, a slogan of the far right.

Oh well!  

Either way, let's keep slogans out of sport.

Edited by BroadstairsR

It has nothing to do with the sacrifice of the nurses, doctors and NHS in general. That is just you trying to bring an air of respectibility to it. Desperate stuff.

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

It has nothing to do with the sacrifice of the nurses, doctors and NHS in general. That is just you trying to bring an air of respectibility to it. Desperate stuff.

What?

That's total piffle.

All lives matter is the force behind all in the medical profession.It has and always will be.There's nothing desperate about that? It's obvious.

More desperate is trying to politicise such a sentiment and one which all decent citizens share.

(and I note that you didn't even capitalise it even though stating it was a right wing slogan.)

Edited by BroadstairsR