Pukki           Idah

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Krul

Aarons  Godfrey  Hanley  Lewis

Tettey  Vrancic

Buendia  Duda  Cantwell

Pukki

This will probably be the team with Onel on the bench if available. But will DF pick Vrancic to start? 

Krul

Klose          Godfrey          Zimmermann

Aarons                     Vrancic        Tetty                          Lewis

Emi                Cantwell

Pukki

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This will probably be the team with Onel on the bench if available. But will DF pick Vrancic to start? 

Probably not. I guess he’ll go with McLean which I wouldn’t be unhappy about. Just picked Vrancic to add the slightly more attacking intent we will need to score enough goals to win games and stay up

• Like 1

Krul

Aarons   Zimmermann  Klose  Lewis

Godfrey

Buendia           Duda           Cantwell

Pukki         Hernandez                  

Interesting no one seems to pick Kenny.  Do we have an injury update on guys like Onel, Byram etc?  I saw that Everton apparently have 4 players ‘likely to be out for the Merseyside derby’ which ought to be helpful to us.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

So many people including football pundits across our local media are mystified why Mario hasn't featured much this season. He is super talented and deserves to start or play a decent part in a game, not just 5 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Harry53 said:

So many people including football pundits across our local media are mystified why Mario hasn't featured much this season. He is super talented and deserves to start or play a decent part in a game, not just 5 minutes. 

Agreed, this has been a source of frustration for me. I guess DF has been trying to set up more solidly and doesn't consider Mario up to the job. But, his deadball delivery, range of passing and ability to score has been missed, I believe. 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting no one seems to pick Kenny.  Do we have an injury update on guys like Onel, Byram etc?  I saw that Everton apparently have 4 players ‘likely to be out for the Merseyside derby’ which ought to be helpful to us.

Byram is the only player not taking part in contact training, so I'd suggest we have near enough a full roster.

Wouldn't be surprised to see DF pick exactly the same side as started at Sheff Utd, but if it was me I'd do the following-

Krul

Aarons  Zimmermann Hanley Lewis

Tettey McLean Leitner

Buendia    Cantwell

Pukki

If we actually want to stay up, there's some key points that need addressing. Having watched the whole season highlights yesterday, the honest truth is Godfrey isn't good enough at the defensive side of the game yet; he has a similarity to Russell Martin in that he's frequently near where the ball is but doesn't do enough to clear or block. Whilst the alternatives aren't clearly better at this level, he's the one that will get sold for the big money in summer and every game & Beckenbauer pass he plays makes our selling position a little stronger. Zimm and Hanley are the most solid pairing we have currently.

Bin off the #10 role, it hasn't done us any great benefit this season. 3 in central midfield, all with an engine, and Kenny has a natural tendency to push forward aggressively anyway. Leitner or Vrancic pretty much interchangeable here, the important thing is discipline when it comes to regaining defensive shape when attacks fall down. All of our victories bar Newcastle have come against more dangerous sides and I've put that down to us being more disciplined when we respect the opposition as an attacking threat and attack more prudently. In a lot of games we stream forward with abandon as we did last year, but defensively we aren't compact and the bigger, faster opposition players just run us down after the ball is turned over.

I'm all for staying true to our playing identity, but it isn't too much to ask for both. We've already proven we can win games at this level and do it our way, so it's a little strange to me that we still play like the opposition can't hurt us.

• Like 1

It's nice to get back to real footie conversation such as the debate about Godfrey's best position.

I've always tended to prefer seeing him play as a defensive midfielder rather that a central defender  but the professionals, especially DF, disagree so I'm wrong.

The best we can hope for is that he is at least he is given another try in that role. We have a full complement of central defenders at last after all and Zimbo and Hanley were looking pretty good together.

Krul

Aarons

Hanley

Godfrey (sweeper)

Klose

Lewis

Tettey

Vrancic

Buendia

Pukki

Cantwell

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite a few leaving Hanley out too. I thought he was consistently solid before the curtailment. He's a starter for me. Don't think Klose will be fired straight back in for the first game back. I have no idea of course, but I don't think there'll be any big surprises in whatever line-up starts. I suspect there has been an emphasis in training on flexibility now that the defenders are available, e.g. changing mid game from 4-2-3-1 to wing-backs, 3 centre-backs etc. Hopefully Byram will be available for selection soon. The only real conundrum is who plays deep alongside Tettey. Leitner seems to be down the pecking order. DF hasn't given Vrancic much pitch time over the season. It's unlikely Godfrey will be thrown into the engine room. Tommy T has looked a little at sea for me at this level. Rupp might sneak in. But it will probably end up being Kenny to start - pragmatism will likely win out. I think we'll see:

Krul

Aarons    Godfrey    Hanley    Lewis

Tettey     McLean

Buendia       Duda        Cantwell

Pukki

Duda/Cantwell might make way if the wing-back system is introduced during a game, with the likes of Klose, Drmic, Hernandez, Zimmermann, Byram, Rupp, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Trybull, Leitner & Idah pushing the starters. 

Hopefully DF has more options now to mix things up & change things around mid-game. 

Nice to be pondering again! OTBC

• Like 1

What i'd pick:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Klose Lewis

Tettey Vrancic

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

What i think Farke will pick:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis

Tettey McLean

Buendia     Duda    Cantwell

Pukki

I would go with what i'd argue was our best 11 from last season and rebuild our season from there, very harsh on Godfrey and Cantwell but I'd want to start as solid and experienced as possible. I just think that team is a great blend of players that compliment each other well and has a little bit of everything.

Take out Klose you lose the set piece threat and a clam presence at the back, Vrancic and we lose the ability to score directly from free kicks switch the play effectively and open up the game or launch quick counters, Hernandez and we have no pace or acceleration in forward areas to break the lines and no ability to run at players on the break and Stiepermann gets the best out of Pukki while also providing a lot off the ball and more of a goal threat than our other AM's. I know most of those players have had some pretty poor displays this season, but so has pretty much every other player as well except maybe Krul, looking at the team as a whole that lineup makes the most tactical sense for me. 

7 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Krul

Klose          Godfrey          Zimmermann

Aarons                     Vrancic        Tetty                          Lewis

Emi                Cantwell

Pukki

Either the above replacing Tettey with McClean or the below with no changes.

54 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Klose Lewis

Tettey Vrancic

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

GK  Krul

LWB  Lewis

LCB  Klose

CB  Zimbo

RCB  Godfrey

RWB  Aarons 

CM  Trybull

CM  Vrancic

AM  Buendia

AM  Cantwell

ST  Pukki 

Or

GK  Krul

LB  Lewis

CB  Klose

CB  Godfrey

RB  Aarons 

CM  Trybull

CM  Vrancic

AML  Cantwell

AM  Buendia

AMR  Hernandez 

ST  Pukki

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Take out Klose you lose the set piece threat and a clam presence at the back

Agreed, Timm adds a bit of Mussel at the back, the ability to Winkle out a goal at the other end,plus his no nonsense,aerial ability will help when the oppostion Limpet into our box,,,,, of mixed sea food. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Krul

Aarons

Zimmerman 

Godfrey

Lewis

Tetty

Emi

Duda

Cantwell

Onel (if fit) 

Pukki

Aside from swapping Zimmermann for Hanley, I’d agree with the rest

I'd play wing backs if we have the full roster of CB's fully fit. 

.........................Krul......................

Arrons Godfrey Hanley Klose Lewis

.......................Tettey.....................

Buendia.........McLean..........Cantwell

........................Pukki.....................

Subs:

McGovern, Zimmermann, Trybull, Vrancic, Hernandez, Duda, Drmic

Tough one on Zimmermann but Hanley has been our best CB since his return from injury and Klose is brilliant in a back 5 on the left side. Same as Godfrey for the right side (important to get the ball high up the pitch very quickly when playing wing backs)

16 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Quite a few leaving Hanley out too. I thought he was consistently solid before the curtailment. He's a starter for me. Don't think Klose will be fired straight back in for the first game back. I have no idea of course, but I don't think there'll be any big surprises in whatever line-up starts. I suspect there has been an emphasis in training on flexibility now that the defenders are available, e.g. changing mid game from 4-2-3-1 to wing-backs, 3 centre-backs etc. Hopefully Byram will be available for selection soon. The only real conundrum is who plays deep alongside Tettey. Leitner seems to be down the pecking order. DF hasn't given Vrancic much pitch time over the season. It's unlikely Godfrey will be thrown into the engine room. Tommy T has looked a little at sea for me at this level. Rupp might sneak in. But it will probably end up being Kenny to start - pragmatism will likely win out. I think we'll see:

Krul

Aarons    Godfrey    Hanley    Lewis

Tettey     McLean

Buendia       Duda        Cantwell

Pukki

Duda/Cantwell might make way if the wing-back system is introduced during a game, with the likes of Klose, Drmic, Hernandez, Zimmermann, Byram, Rupp, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Trybull, Leitner & Idah pushing the starters. 

Hopefully DF has more options now to mix things up & change things around mid-game. 

Nice to be pondering again! OTBC

I've just realised that I had completely forgotten we had signed Rupp! 

Yes. At 29 it was clearly a signing for immediate effect.

That he failed to effect much might be due to that adjustment factor.

Hardly a Naismith-type signing, but did he cost much?  Can't recall.

3-5-2

Krul

Zimm, Hanley, Klose

Aarons, Cantwell, Godfrey, McLean, Lewis

Buendia, Pukki

subs.... Famewo, Vrancic, Idah, Hernandez, Tettey, Drmic, Oxborough

or, if Klose not match fit.... 4-4-2

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Zimmerman, Lewis

Rupp, Godfrey, McLean, Cantwell

Buendia

Pukki.

subs .... Klose, Vrancic, Idah, Hernandez, Tettey, Drmic, Oxborough

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Let's not forget with the amount of substitutions allowed now that tactics in a 90 minutes game are going to be on fast forward. 

Can players adapt to so many changes within the 90 minutes of personnel (upto 5 for each team) and tactics of their own side and also the opposition. 

Farke will be truly tested as much as our players in his game management. It is an entirely different 90 minutes now.

I do favour the wing backs and feel farke wanted to try this in the summer.

Krul

Godfrey, Hanley or Zimmerman, Klose

Aaron's, lewis

Tettey, Vrancic

Buendia, cantwell

Pukki

I think drmic and Idah will certainly have a lot of game time.

Rupp, mclean, trybull will also get time as great game management subs.

Duda and Onel can change the attacking creativity 

Leitner may have a chance to be a tempo changer if the hatchet is buried between himself and farke 

The 3 at the back gives us a good headache and think I am happy with all options.

It is the changes and farkes tactics to be proactive and reactive that will be interesting. 

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agreed, Timm adds a bit of Mussel at the back, the ability to Winkle out a goal at the other end,plus his no nonsense,aerial ability will help when the oppostion Limpet into our box,,,,, of mixed sea food. 

That’s the second time this morning you’ve posted for me Corkio. I might as well not bother! Personally I think the idea of throwing Klose back in a bit fishy.

And back on topic, I’m completely in the Hanley camp. It’s no coincidence that once he was back in the team and back to match fitness that we became much more solid at the back. Yes, he might not have the “flair” of the alternatives but if you don’t do the basics right and so give away soft goals, you’re immediately on the back foot.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That’s the second time this morning you’ve posted for me Corkio. I might as well not bother! Personally I think the idea of throwing Klose back in a bit fishy.

This will throw  Bilious into a frenzy, two posters who share a similar sense of humour and agree with each other, I have a feeling we may be called out as being one and the same Nuffo. 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

And back on topic, I’m completely in the Hanley camp. It’s no coincidence that once he was back in the team and back to match fitness that we became much more solid at the back. Yes, he might not have the “flair” of the alternatives but if you don’t do the basics right and so give away soft goals, you’re immediately on the back foot.

This is getting weirder  Nuffo, I was not at all convinced by Hanley at first but am now  of the opinion that although he doesnt look as comfortable on the ball as say Ben or Timm ....he is a proper  stopper type defender, his og v liverpool was a few mm away from being a good block. Such is  footy. Would love to see him use his power to crash through on a corner and plant the ball in the oppos net sometime soon. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

This will throw  Bilious into a frenzy, two posters who share a similar sense of humour and agree with each other, I have a feeling we may be called out as being one and the same Nuffo. 😉

Since I have been accused of being Bill in the past, this is starting to feel like a many layered bluff by someone. But who? 🤔

Krul

Zimbo      Klose     Godfrey

Aarons                                                    Lewis

Tettey       Vrancic

Cantwell                       Emi

Pukki