Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Paul Warne from the heart

Recommended Posts

A heart-warming sound clip of the North Walsham-ite and former Diss Town striker, showing that there are still some very genuine and human individuals within the game, and that success and honesty are not mutually exclusive.

This is a man who hesitated for a long, long while before agreeing to take the Rotherham job when offered it. Reading between the lines, it helps to explain why he hesitated.

This is the antidote for all of us who have been sickened by unholy rush of the EPL to push players back out on the pitch too soon, and by the Government using the word 'elite' to mean 'controlled by serious money'.

It is obvious that this was unscripted and off the cuff, and all the better fr that. His players will love him for it. It is a speech for our times in the language for our times. 

Above all it is a reminder for all those who sit in the stands or come on this message bard with few thoughts other than how they can score points off other people, a reminder of what football should be about.

It is the voice if a very decent Norfolk and Norwich man, a man who brings decency to the game. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Future Norwich manager? 

No. After DF we will continue along the continental coach route. Let's hope the after DF is a long way off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarycop said:

Let's hope the after DF is a long way off

This. A long long way off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree totally with Pugin. Warney has a pretty 'nondescript' accent if truth be told but at a few points the old Norfolk background kicks in.

'Fittur' (fitter), 'firty' ('thirty'), 'thas waz' ('thats was'), 'thank yer' ('Thank you') are examples.

Personally there is an ex Norwich player doing a fabulous job in management and that's the boy Mark Robins at Coventry. Sleeping giant of a club if ever there was one. Back in the Championship so hopefully (if we can get rid of these infernal anti mass gathering' rules in next few months) it will be a trip to The Ricoh if they can sort out their ownership issues.

I'm far from convinced Farke will hang around once relegation is confirmed anyway once he's been told that the young guns are going to be sold off and he will see himself right back to square one! If the Bundesliga starts next season with fans back in stadium and football here remains firmly shut, he will scuttle off back to The Fatherland if suitable employment can be found.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canarycop said:

No. After DF we will continue along the continental coach route. Let's hope the after DF is a long way off

The wheel always turns full circle and one day the current set up will be for yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The wheel always turns full circle and one day the current set up will be for yesterday.

That will prove about as accurate as your prediction that Brexit would never happen.🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That will prove about as accurate as your prediction that Brexit would never happen.🤓

For the avoidance of doubt i am not City1st !

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree totally with Pugin. Warney has a pretty 'nondescript' accent if truth be told but at a few points the old Norfolk background kicks in.

'Fittur' (fitter), 'firty' ('thirty'), 'thas waz' ('thats was'), 'thank yer' ('Thank you') are examples.

Personally there is an ex Norwich player doing a fabulous job in management and that's the boy Mark Robins at Coventry. Sleeping giant of a club if ever there was one. Back in the Championship so hopefully (if we can get rid of these infernal anti mass gathering' rules in next few months) it will be a trip to The Ricoh if they can sort out their ownership issues.

I'm far from convinced Farke will hang around once relegation is confirmed anyway once he's been told that the young guns are going to be sold off and he will see himself right back to square one! If the Bundesliga starts next season with fans back in stadium and football here remains firmly shut, he will scuttle off back to The Fatherland if suitable employment can be found.   

 

That’s an excellent call. Robins has done a fantastic job there and they play in a very similar  style. I hope Daniel stays for many seasons to come but Robins is the kind of coach Norwich might be interested in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pugin said:

A heart-warming sound clip of the North Walsham-ite and former Diss Town striker, showing that there are still some very genuine and human individuals within the game, and that success and honesty are not mutually exclusive.

This is a man who hesitated for a long, long while before agreeing to take the Rotherham job when offered it. Reading between the lines, it helps to explain why he hesitated.

This is the antidote for all of us who have been sickened by unholy rush of the EPL to push players back out on the pitch too soon, and by the Government using the word 'elite' to mean 'controlled by serious money'.

It is obvious that this was unscripted and off the cuff, and all the better fr that. His players will love him for it. It is a speech for our times in the language for our times. 

Above all it is a reminder for all those who sit in the stands or come on this message bard with few thoughts other than how they can score points off other people, a reminder of what football should be about.

It is the voice if a very decent Norfolk and Norwich man, a man who brings decency to the game. 

 

Warney is a good mate of mine and we spoke about this when he was asked, he really took some persuading to take it on as he genuinely didn't believe it was him.

I'm really proud of how well he has done, he has always worn his heart on his sleeve but is one of the best guys I know and extremely proud of where he comes from.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, canarycop said:

No. After DF we will continue along the continental coach route. Let's hope the after DF is a long way off

We'll remain with the head coach model but that shouldn't mean they have to be from abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bumped into him this season after I went to see Posh play Rotherham. His team had just lost 2-1 and someone commiserated. He just said, “ It’s only football “ and he meant it. He was genuinely interested when I told him I was a Norwich supporter and you can tell he really loves our club. It was a heartfelt post-match interview he did the last time Rotherham played at Carrow Rd.

His Dad has been ill for some time and died fairly recently and he said he wished he could’ve been at Carrow Rd the last time they played there.

He’d give his eye teeth to manage at Carrow Rd.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two good managers and seem like two decent guys. Good to know they are out there for when we need to find a new manager (hopefully not for a long time).

Have to say though I think that the way that Cov and Rotherham both voted to end the season to secure their own promotion leaves a little to be desired. I understand why, but Cov in particular had come out publically and said they wanted to win it on the pitch then voted the opposite way. Slightly taints their promotions in my view but doubt they will be bothered about that and I suppose Cov fans have had a rough time of it so were due a bit of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Future Norwich manager? 

I don't know about his style of play or much about him really, but I genuinely hope we choose someone based upon ability, style and ensuring they will progress our club rather than "he supports us and is a local lad". If he fits those criteria too, excellent, bring it on (when the need arises) but they should be the main topics when we sadly have to choose a successor to Sir Daniel.

Warne seems like a nice and genuine bloke, but I don't think the speech was that impressive or inspiring to be honest. I hope he does well. Plus, I've always quite liked Rotherham, I think I remember them cheering our goals by the end of the game at Carrow Road when we battered them years ago(?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, All the Germans said:

 

but I don't think the speech was that impressive or inspiring to be honest. I hope he does well.

 

 

A huge whoosh! The whole point about the speech was that it was sincere and from the heart.

Players these days are assailed by so much insincerity and plastic promises, in contrast to which Warne's speech is totally honest and not sugar-coated. Many of the truly great managers have based their success on players' trust borne out of this type of honesty. That's why the speech stands out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pugin said:

 

A huge whoosh! The whole point about the speech was that it was sincere and from the heart.

Players these days are assailed by so much insincerity and plastic promises, in contrast to which Warne's speech is totally honest and not sugar-coated. Many of the truly great managers have based their success on players' trust borne out of this type of honesty. That's why the speech stands out.

I don't think there was any whoosh. I was under the - obviously incorrect - impression that I was entitled to my own opinion. In my opinion, which is invalid, the speech was nothing particularly impressive. It was OK and there was nothing wrong with it, I just don't get the love in about it. 

In future, I will try to conform more with what general consesus is and avoid expressing a different opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I don't think there was any whoosh. I was under the - obviously incorrect - impression that I was entitled to my own opinion. In my opinion, which is invalid, the speech was nothing particularly impressive. It was OK and there was nothing wrong with it, I just don't get the love in about it. 

In future, I will try to conform more with what general consesus is and avoid expressing a different opinion.

Apologies. I think you niggled me by saying that you applaud fans who cheer when their team concedes a goal. It is a personal hate of mine because it is so undermining. Call me a snowflake by all means! In future I will count to ten before reacting. Also I would disagree that the speech is not impressive - you try bearing your soul to 20 blokes.

As regards how Rotherham play - they play to their strengths and they play in a way that gets them wins in League One. Pretty, it is not! But it is impressive because it achieves its objective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...