The Great Mass Debater

Favourite player of the current crop?

Out gardening, my mind wandered to who I would be most keen to see signed up for next season and whom I would be most disappointed to see leave. I found myself wondering who my current favourite player is.

I came to the conclusion Tim Krul.

I hadnt been a fan of Krul as a keeper prior to him joining us. I thought he was ok, but didnt particularly rate him. I like keepers with character, and in his youth, he didnt seem to have much (from what little I knew of him, maybe Newcastle fans would disagree).

I was very disappointed we couldnt keep Gunn, and when Krul came in I wasnt particularly pleased. I thought his best days were behind him, that he may have injury worries and this seemed a step down from Gunn.

In the Championship, particularly the first half of the season, he seemed nervous, and he always seemed to have a mistake in him. But I gradually warmed to him.

Since he has been with us my opinion of him as grown and grown. As he grew in confidence after a long period warming the bench and injury problems, he started to become one of our most important players. In a league where we havent dominated games like we did in the Championship, his keeping has been outstanding. But more than that, his leadership, his character, his passion have been inspirational. In a young team he has become hugely influential.

Right now, I am struggling to think of a keeper we have ever had who has been as talismanic and had as much character as he. I dont like keepers as captains, but he is captain material.

He might be my favourite ever Norwich goalkeeper.

Anyway, this thread is 'Who is your current favourite player', not how much do I love Tim Krul. So who is your favourite at the moment?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

For me it is Christoph Zimmermann, just love his attitude and character. The fact he almost gave up football altogether to be a teacher and went from a player in the third their of German football to playing in the Premier League is a great story.........

• Like 3

Onel Hernandez aka Argos.

I believe he had a tough past and has now fought his way to being a player in the 'best league in the world," or so we are told at regular intervals.

When he's on song he can be listed amongst the long list of City's super wingers wingers, although he can go missing on occasions admittedly.

Above all others, I get the impression he seems to love the City of Norwich and working and living there  the most.

• Like 1

Marco Stiepermann - mainly for last year but also for his pleasure with the Man C result.

I hope he has a chance to play in the remaining games.

7 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

He might be my favourite ever Norwich goalkeeper.

Good keeper, never as bad as some made out (conversely, also not as good as people suggest now either. He's good enough for us but not fantastic) but let us not get carried away here! There's no way he can above some of the keepers we've had?

As for current players, last year it was definitely Leitner for me and Emi for my son. Who would I be most gutted if they left, Emi and Aarons, as in my opinion, they can both make it to the top. However, my favourite player for attitude, hunger, desire is Zimmerman. He probably wouldn't be in my top two centre backs when all are fit but I love his attitude. He give a sh*t and it's very clear that he does.

• Like 1

Todd.

Has more levels to improve yet and just one more season with us would be fundamental to our success in whichever league we are in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Good keeper, never as bad as some made out (conversely, also not as good as people suggest now either. He's good enough for us but not fantastic) but let us not get carried away here! There's no way he can above some of the keepers we've had?

As for current players, last year it was definitely Leitner for me and Emi for my son. Who would I be most gutted if they left, Emi and Aarons, as in my opinion, they can both make it to the top. However, my favourite player for attitude, hunger, desire is Zimmerman. He probably wouldn't be in my top two centre backs when all are fit but I love his attitude. He give a sh*t and it's very clear that he does.

He was never as bad as some made out but is as good as some suggest now. Excellent keeper who just needed a bit more help from the defenders this season. 

That's such a good question!!.

To watch on the pitch, it's Buendia, he's magic.

In terms of just general favourite, it's Tettey for me. Loyal to the club, loads of character, been a vital cog in the team for years now and his jig against Leeds will live long in the memory. Krul would be a close second though - he was so nice when I met him - went out of his way to have a convo with me when already running late (for the promotion parade). Mario third.

• Like 3

Godfrey. I remember him scoring a brilliant shot from distance towards the end of last season and thinking how great it was to have a bloody central defender who can score goals like that.

It's him, it's Tettey.

My only regret is that time he hit the post at Portman Road. If that had gone in I'm pretty sure he'd have completed the Norwich City bingo list.

Hernandez. Exciting player to watch. On his day he is an excellent player. Needs to be more consistent. Got potential to play for a top 6 prem team no problem.

I just can't separate them. There isn't a single one of them I can honestly say is more favourite than another.

On the pitch or off the pitch, there isn't a dud anywhere and all are likeable and have shown strong character and each has contributed massively at different times, this season and last. 

If I HAD to choose my favourite player.......no.....I can't do it, everytime I think of one, I think of another who I like just as much.  Stiepermann has not featured much this season, but he has massive kudos from last season in his favour.   Quite simply, I love them all......it's like asking which is your favourite child.....

This is a tough question. I love watching Todd, Emi and Mario and i would hate to lose any of them. I really want to enjoy another season watching their talent.

So my favourite player this season has to be Mario. Superb delivery, vision and tackler and always so calm and composed.

Hate to lose the 3 already mentioned plus Tim Krull, Teemu, Max and Jamal but we know we will sell our fullbacks. I love our squad and admire so many players. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I just can't separate them. There isn't a single one of them I can honestly say is more favourite than another.

On the pitch or off the pitch, there isn't a dud anywhere and all are likeable and have shown strong character and each has contributed massively at different times, this season and last. 

If I HAD to choose my favourite player.......no.....I can't do it, everytime I think of one, I think of another who I like just as much.  Stiepermann has not featured much this season, but he has massive kudos from last season in his favour.   Quite simply, I love them all......it's like asking which is your favourite child.....

I also struggled to pick one. I would keep 90% of our current squad if i could. We may be bottom of the EPL but the football has been great and i have enjoyed watching City 

• Like 1

It's quite unusual that in one squad there's quite a number of likeable characters / talents.

Stiepermann is one of my favourites. Krul is definitely up there but I really liked him when we first signed him.

16 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

For me it is Christoph Zimmermann, just love his attitude and character. The fact he almost gave up football altogether to be a teacher and went from a player in the third their of German football to playing in the Premier League is a great story.........

Christoph Zimmermann is my favourite player too. His story is a great story and I feel he truly appreciates the opportunity he’s had playing for us. 
I also love his involvement and commitment to the CSF. 

• Like 1

There are so many choices in this squad.

Klose and Hernandez are the most 'fun' characters. Everyone loves the characters.

Zimmermann and Krul are the passionate leaders. Everyone loves the leaders.

Cantwell is a local boy. Everyone loves the local boys.

Buendia is the best player. Everyone loves the star player.

Pukki is probably the most humble and down-to-earth. Everyone loves the everyman.

Alex Tettey is Alex Tettey. Everyone loves Alex Tettey.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Totally agree. One of the things I loved about Lambert's 'Wingless Wonders' was that the players themselves were so likeable. In an era where many of the players are fundamentally unlikeable, you rooted for these players. So many of them had encountered rejection and rebuilt their careers, showing their strength of character. So many of them reached the height of their ability, because they recognised what an opportunity they could carve out for themselves.

Holt, Johnson, Pilkington to name a few - players who had played at the lowest level, had had normal jobs and were now taking taking their chance. Not arrogant kids told they were world beaters from day one and handed everything on a plate. These were players you could identify with and wanted to succeed.

There is a lot of that in Farke's team, and so I totally get Christophe Zimmerman. What a role model he is

• Like 4

17 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Onel Hernandez aka Argos.

I believe he had a tough past and has now fought his way to being a player in the 'best league in the world," or so we are told at regular intervals.

When he's on song he can be listed amongst the long list of City's super wingers wingers, although he can go missing on occasions admittedly.

Above all others, I get the impression he seems to love the City of Norwich and working and living there  the most.

Onel is very likeable. He was the player I was most looking forward to seeing perform in the Premier League

11 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I wasnt saying he was our best ever keeper, I was saying he is possibly my favourite. We've probably had better keepers, but I cant think of one right now that I have liked more than Krul

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Todd.

Has more levels to improve yet and just one more season with us would be fundamental to our success in whichever league we are in.

Todd's transformation this season has been highly impressive. I was firmly in the 'give him a season on loan in the Championship' camp, but he has gone up a level in ability and physique, Id say he was definitely our most improved player

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Totally agree. One of the things I loved about Lambert's 'Wingless Wonders' was that the players themselves were so likeable. In an era where many of the players are fundamentally unlikeable, you rooted for these players. So many of them had encountered rejection and rebuilt their careers, showing their strength of character. So many of them reached the height of their ability, because they recognised what an opportunity they could carve out for themselves.

Holt, Johnson, Pilkington to name a few - players who had played at the lowest level, had had normal jobs and were now taking taking their chance. Not arrogant kids told they were world beaters from day one and handed everything on a plate. These were players you could identify with and wanted to succeed.

There is a lot of that in Farke's team, and so I totally get Christophe Zimmerman. What a role model he is

That grounded nature might be a key weapon in the hunt for our little miracle. Many of our players are unproven at this level and may well not get another crack at it if they don't pull it back this season. Some of the younger guys know they're destined for the bright lights anyway, but it doesn't seem to affect their commitment.

Naturally every team will want to think that their way is the special brand that will keep their heads above water, but when I compare us to say Villa, most of their signings were the sort of players I would say know they can get a move if they get relegated. Similarly teams like Brighton and to a lesser extent Bournemouth- they've reached that awkward stage where you have to start adapting to big money signings who know their agents will find them a way out if it goes south.

Clutching at straws a little bit I know. 

• Like 1

Tough question but has to be Mario for me, a 'proper 'player.  No real pace or strength, better in the tackle than many would think and just sublime skill. It helps that despite realy not being into footy , my missus said 'oooh , who's he?' When I showed her a clip of his goals of last season. I just love the way he makes the game  look easy. Can make space for himself by raising an eyebrow.....he's that cool.