CANARYKING

Binner’s stuck in League One ....

And won't have the opportunity to finally beat us until 2021 at the very earliest.

I don't see that players considered top assets for League One are going to see them as good prospects at this point. They could be gone a while.

Well next season may well be very poor for them, Sunderland and Pompey or Oxford will still be there and Charlton, Luton and Barnsley aren’t going to be pushovers........they might well become an established league one side......

That's quite a strong league - Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich, Barnsley, Luton... not going to be easy next year that is for sure and plenty of options for up and coming players to go to a "big club"  

Their form over the last 20 games puts them in the bottom 3. Unless something dramatic happens they're more likely to be relegated than promoted next season 

Apparently Lambert is to keep his job too. Another plus. He clearly talked himself into a nice long and lucrative contract.

In a poll, around 80% on TWTD want him gone.

Their club  was one of the few who wanted the L.1. season seen out with their DOF (or whatever) O'Neill claiming that they still had a chance of reaching the play-offs..... believe.

A final humiliation to inflict upon them would be to poach their finest. That young full-back they got from Colchester would seem the best bet ....especially as we ourselves have to/want to sell.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The reality is that the paupers need someone like Lambert to turn the club around.

Their previous get rich quick' mentality has been the cause of their downfall. That idea being that all that was needed was the right manager to pull things together and up they go,

This has seen years of short teem measures that have been at the cost of investment in a decent youth and scouting system. Even the ground has been allowed to fall apart, and such ideas as marketing towards developing a larger fan base have fallen by the wayside.

Unless the paupers can develop a method of harmonising all aspects of the club it will continue its long term slide into deeper failure. And that 80% of these dimwits cannot see this, and imagine that if only they had the right manager all would be resolved overnight, is evidence that they are a long way from turning things around.

I expect it will be a few seasons yet before we see our impoverished neighbours begin their crawl out of the gutter.

Probably true, but they would need somebody better than Paul Lambert to be at the helm for a more long term approach.

Especially as long-termism and Paul Lambert is a contradiction of terms.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Probably true, but they would need somebody better than Paul Lambert to be at the helm for a more long term approach.

I would suggest Lambert is just what they need, As one of the major failings has been in  not having a 'footballing' type in overall charge

Neither Clegg nor Milne had any previous experience, or interest to be honest. The club was allowed to fragment into separate parts with no overall direction or control beyond a few meaningless slogans.

Allow Lambert to take a wider role and the get in some decent coaching staff, and they should be able to stop the rot.

Whatever manager they get in will struggle, as long as the club is run on a shoe string with all the foresight of a blind shoelace seller.

Match Seller Stock Photos & Match Seller Stock Images - Alamy

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Their form over the last 20 games puts them in the bottom 3. Unless something dramatic happens they're more likely to be relegated than promoted next season 

According to Lambert it was their form in the two months before lockdown that did for them !

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

That's quite a strong league - Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich, Barnsley, Luton... not going to be easy next year that is for sure and plenty of options for up and coming players to go to a "big club"  

That rules the scum out then.

I once had cause to meet with Simon Clegg when he was , whatever he was, at the Binners. It was in the Boardroom at Portaloo , and we were , naturally surrounded by black and white photos of “Mickey” Mills And the like . Looking back on it , it was a bit surreal. 

I was speaking to SC about sponsorship. Long story . What struck me about him was an almost incredulity that what Mucus was doing at ITFC wasn’t working . I can’t recall exactly but I think it was around the time that Jewell was being sacked . 

SC harked back to the Olympics . He said that if you got the programme right , and the right people in , everything would succeed. Yet at the Binners it wasn’t . SC couldn’t understand why football was different . 

Mucus actually threw a lot of money at the Club in the early days. When he came in it was “get me the right man” and they got Keane. Gave him money , gave him an enormous salary and ... well we know how that ended. 

Next in line was Jewel. Another high profile and expensive manager . Again high wages , and some money for the squad. This time it had to work. 

It didn’t . 18 months later it was clear that Jewell was another Dowie - a one hit wonder heading into the Media. 

It’s really only under McCarty that the purse strings start to  tighten. Mad Mick was still on a decent wedge , and he built effective teams . Mucus sold “star” players from underneath him and didn’t give him the money to strengthen. At this point , and here is the irony , they had found a manager who had the nous to get them up. Mucus just didn’t give him the squad money . Watch the team that played us in the play offs and there are a couple of effective players there - Mings and Murphy both went for decent money . Mad Mick didn’t get the loot back. 

Now the spiral. No money , sell any players with a whiff of value , and make a loss every year . The intended rewards of the premier league - Mucus’ state’s aim has vanished and the promise of paying off  the debts similarly. The cut price Norwich Union funded debts don’t seem such a  good idea now. 

Mucus keeps the Club solvent by underwriting the debt . The Binners are lucky that they do. The losses of their still relatively high wages for League 1 would mean curtains without him. 

ITFC then decide to follow the Norwich model. Twice. First they try our Lambert / Neil model. A young hungry manager on the back of actual success in Hurst. Trouble is Hurst just hasn’t got the character that sees Lambert and Neil arrive with such an impact. A player revolt quickly sees the back of him. 

and then they just go and get Lambert . Forgetting that he hasn’t had any success since , arguably , keeping Villa up the first year. Since then he has either jumped or been pushed leaving unhappy fans behind him. 

It seems that the Binners can’t live with Mucus , and can’t live without him. 

• Like 2

Well, their local derby is more likely to involve Kings Lynn than it is us in the near future!  Saw their speedway team at Lynn last season and got some strange looks when I started chanting "Scum, Scum, Scum!" 😂

5 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Well, their local derby is more likely to involve Kings Lynn than it is us in the near future!  Saw their speedway team at Lynn last season and got some strange looks when I started chanting "Scum, Scum, Scum!" 😂

It could be that if Lynn are promoted, they could be as close to the binners as they are to us.

Well it certainly could be Colchester...... nice and local ..  if they are still in business.  And Lambert could manage both of them.

50 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Oh, how they laughed when we were relegated to the third division....

Lordy lord. its he young master Lapps.... back from far distant lands

lock up the silver and hide the woman

....or something like that

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agent Lambert is doing a fine job. Relegation to League Two next season would complete his task and he could sit more comfortably in our Hall of Fame.

I think Lambert's length of contract (5 years) suggests Evans has at last been made away of the cause of the grubby little plight - extreme short-termism.

We have seen four academy players regularly playing for us in the PL. They have struggled to find youth players to make their squad in LI. Their last youth keeper to make the first team was way back 15 years ago.

That situation at poorman road won't be fixed in one season. It takes years for players to come through the system.

Likewise it needed Lambert to address the shocking state of the stadium by getting the worst parts cleaned up.

Bringing in a manager (as previous) who was tasked and 'bonused' to achieve short term aims is always a bad move. This can be seen outside of football where directors have one aim - to deliver a high dividend so as to be paid huge bonuses. That means the company  is stripped bare so as to deliver a 'healthy' balance sheet - with little regard to the long term future.

I cannot see anyone else with Lambert's experience taking on the job - nor can I see him putting up with the usual self absorbed whing from the farm hands.

We stuck by Webber/Farke (bar a few notable exceptions on here). Will the farmhands see the bigger picture. One that finally understands just how far they have fallen, and how dire the situation is at poorman road ?

19 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I once had cause to meet with Simon Clegg when he was , whatever he was, at the Binners. It was in the Boardroom at Portaloo , and we were , naturally surrounded by black and white photos of “Mickey” Mills And the like . Looking back on it , it was a bit surreal. 

I was speaking to SC about sponsorship. Long story . What struck me about him was an almost incredulity that what Mucus was doing at ITFC wasn’t working . I can’t recall exactly but I think it was around the time that Jewell was being sacked . 

SC harked back to the Olympics . He said that if you got the programme right , and the right people in , everything would succeed. Yet at the Binners it wasn’t . SC couldn’t understand why football was different . 

Mucus actually threw a lot of money at the Club in the early days. When he came in it was “get me the right man” and they got Keane. Gave him money , gave him an enormous salary and ... well we know how that ended. 

Next in line was Jewel. Another high profile and expensive manager . Again high wages , and some money for the squad. This time it had to work. 

It didn’t . 18 months later it was clear that Jewell was another Dowie - a one hit wonder heading into the Media. 

It’s really only under McCarty that the purse strings start to  tighten. Mad Mick was still on a decent wedge , and he built effective teams . Mucus sold “star” players from underneath him and didn’t give him the money to strengthen. At this point , and here is the irony , they had found a manager who had the nous to get them up. Mucus just didn’t give him the squad money . Watch the team that played us in the play offs and there are a couple of effective players there - Mings and Murphy both went for decent money . Mad Mick didn’t get the loot back. 

Now the spiral. No money , sell any players with a whiff of value , and make a loss every year . The intended rewards of the premier league - Mucus’ state’s aim has vanished and the promise of paying off  the debts similarly. The cut price Norwich Union funded debts don’t seem such a  good idea now. 

Mucus keeps the Club solvent by underwriting the debt . The Binners are lucky that they do. The losses of their still relatively high wages for League 1 would mean curtains without him. 

ITFC then decide to follow the Norwich model. Twice. First they try our Lambert / Neil model. A young hungry manager on the back of actual success in Hurst. Trouble is Hurst just hasn’t got the character that sees Lambert and Neil arrive with such an impact. A player revolt quickly sees the back of him. 

and then they just go and get Lambert . Forgetting that he hasn’t had any success since , arguably , keeping Villa up the first year. Since then he has either jumped or been pushed leaving unhappy fans behind him. 

It seems that the Binners can’t live with Mucus , and can’t live without him. 

There was an interview with Michael Wynn Jones several years after he and Delia took over in which he said it had taken them a few years to come to terms with just how different, in a barking-mad way, football was to normal businesses.

(Pause for wiseacre posters to comment that they still haven't...)

What helped I suspect was generally having good chief executives. They inherited Gordon Bennett, who steadied things after Chase left, and then had Doncaster, whose successful running of the club for several seasons tends to get overshadowed by the failures of the later years, and then McNally (plus Bowkett) who were just what was needed at that time.

In fact Doncaster and McNally had spookily similar career trajectories at Norwich City, with early successes followed by later troubles.

It just makes you realise that despite our current superiority, a couple if wrong decisions, and we could quite easily swap places with Ipswich Town within just two or three years. It's far from impossible. It's quite surprising that we are not going to be together in the Championship next season.

That's why I think it is unwise to gloat too much. There, but for the grace of God etc etc

• Like 1

We could never build up a debt of nearly £100m in just two or three years.

We are never likely to sell off Colney and then rent it back for use within two or three years.

Our season ticket sales will never drop from 22,000 to under 12, 000 within two or three years.

As for gloating we surely have a lesson or two to learn from that "big club up the road" with it's "bulging trophy cabinet." Remember the infamous note-waving incident from supporters who are now continually disgruntled about the influence of money in the game. Remember plans to have a banner carrying plane fly over Carrow Road when we were relegated to L.1? Remember banners on bridges and flyovers on our way to Wembley? The original countdown clock?

We are all aware of the "swings and roundabouts of outrages fortune" that exist in football so gloat while you can.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pugin said:

It just makes you realise that despite our current superiority, a couple if wrong decisions, and we could quite easily swap places with Ipswich Town within just two or three years. It's far from impossible. It's quite surprising that we are not going to be together in the Championship next season.

That's why I think it is unwise to gloat too much. There, but for the grace of God etc etc

No, as that suggests the different positions are down to a bit of good luck and a bit of bas luck on the respective sides.

A more honest view of the binners over the past 25 years would be,

42 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We are all aware of the "swings and roundabouts of outrages fortune" that exist in football so gloat while you can.

Haha, you have absolutely made my day. 

About 12 years ago Simon Jordan was speaking on 5Live, putting on his then newly-acquired, voice-coached 'posh' voice, and came out with the phrase 'the swings and roundabouts of outrageous fortune'. It was hilarious, because he meant 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' which comes from Hamlet and is one of the most famous quotes in the English language. And all I could think about was Simon Jordan on the swings and roundabouts, pretending to be posh, and getting his quotations horribly confused.

So no offence to you Broadstairs, but thanks for the memory of Jordan's punctured ego 🙂

Fair enough, but I wasn't quoting Shakespeare, although I wasn't aware of Simon Jordan's quote (or misquote.) 

More something I read in the press recently which was  related to football ie. roundabouts similar to the merry-go-round of managers, like Lambert actually 

Anyhow I'm glad it made your day Mr. P.

Edited by BroadstairsR