Sign in to follow this  
Browno

League 1 & 2 season finished

L2 Promoted: Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth.

L2 Playoffs: Cheltenham, Exeter, Colchester and Northampton.

L2 Relegation: Stevenage (if Macclesfield avoid points deduction)

L1 Promoted: Coventry & Rotherham

L1 Playoffs: Wycombe, Oxford, Fleetwood and Portsmouth

L1 Relegation: Tranmere, Southend and Bolton.

Edited by Browno

9 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are Barrow promoted from the conference?

I've just received a text from my cousin who lives in Ulverston, he supports Barrow and he is celebrating promotion.

In the way that only football can make you feel great, his 2nd text said 'We'll be playing you in a couple of seasons'. 😀

Forever to be known as the season that Ipswich were definitely going to get promoted, if not for the pesky corona getting in the way!

Very sad for Tranmere and a few other clubs harmed by these decisions though. Parry and the EFL should be ashamed. Hope they get taken to court. 

1 minute ago, Barry Brockes said:

Wonder where this will leave King's Lynn. Have an inkling to see them a bit next season. 

It should really finish on ppg too which would see them promoted 

• Like 1

On the same day that the French courts blocked the relegation of two teams from their Ligue 1 by PPG. The law obviously may differ but interesting to see the rationale for that judgment (other than the obvious unfairness).

If the seasons finished how are the play offs not finished too? Sure third place teams should be going up?

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Very sad for Tranmere and a few other clubs harmed by these decisions though. Parry and the EFL should be ashamed. Hope they get taken to court. 

Absolutely. A very lazy decision taken by very lazy people. Relegation in these circumstances is incredibly unfair. Such a shame that top positions in the EFL hierarchy are occupied by people with very little imagination.

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Absolutely. A very lazy decision taken by very lazy people. Relegation in these circumstances is incredibly unfair. Such a shame that top positions in the EFL hierarchy are occupied by people with very little imagination.

Or people who are have been hell bent on ensuring that promotion and relegation had to remain and Liverpool win the title for a variety of reasons. 

2 hours ago, Indy said:

If the seasons finished how are the play offs not finished too? Sure third place teams should be going up?

...by stating that the playoff positions would be as they stand, the EFL then ensured that 4 more clubs would lend their vote to the 'curtail' camp instead of voting to carry on out of self interest rather than footballing reasons.

I find it hard to believe that League 1 ...if not League 2 couldnt have wrapped up the fixtures in the space of 5 weeks

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

I don't understand why the play offs are not just one leg played at a neutral ground such as Wembley. That would lessen the risk.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't understand why the play offs are not just one leg played at a neutral ground such as Wembley. That would lessen the risk.

My guess would be money - Tv rights for two legs more than one?

(Edit: would agree one leg at neutral ground makes a lot of sense but making sense isn’t always the first consideration!)

Edited by Aggy

But by playing the play off games then the L1 & L 2 season isn’t over and if I was just outside ike is it Peterborough I’d be very unhappy. Strange way to say no more games except play offs! Yes must be money.

Hopefully means my local side Harrogate either get promoted or at least can do playoffs. There's 2 spots going in league 2

8 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Hopefully means my local side Harrogate either get promoted or at least can do playoffs. There's 2 spots going in league 2

Are you near Stamford Bridge Tettey?

12 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

The York one... i'm in Harrogate

Yes I’ve got a brother in law in Stamford Bridge. Love the area.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/gallery/coventry-city-fans-celebrate-promotion-18391841

Nice to see responsible celebration by the Coventry fans, only one fan in a mask in all of those photos and it looks more like a young'un hiding his face with a scarf...

If this is what it's like with Coventry what kind of hell is going to break loose when the scousers confirm their title!

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/gallery/coventry-city-fans-celebrate-promotion-18391841

Nice to see responsible celebration by the Coventry fans, only one fan in a mask in all of those photos and it looks more like a young'un hiding his face with a scarf...

If this is what it's like with Coventry what kind of hell is going to break loose when the scousers confirm their title!

I don't think Leeds fans will celebrate from the comfort of their armchairs either if and i repeat if they get promoted either.

Would I be right in thinking that in both Belgium and France the respective FA's made the decisions without any voting by the clubs, if so then that is a somewhat different scenario to the what happened in the EFL yesterday. I'm sure that Tranmere will try to get their relegation overturned in the courts but would they win?

7 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Would I be right in thinking that in both Belgium and France the respective FA's made the decisions without any voting by the clubs, if so then that is a somewhat different scenario to the what happened in the EFL yesterday. I'm sure that Tranmere will try to get their relegation overturned in the courts but would they win?

It depends what the EFL's membership rules say. I noted that they held an EGM first to amend some rules before they held the vote, so it may be that Tranmere have no legal recourse as a member.

I believe the EPL is set up differently to the EFL anyway. The Belgium and France scenarios are only relevant to the UK in terms of their affiliation to UEFA, rather than their domestic laws, which are different.

21 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

No in Belgium teams voted.

Although the Belgian decision has not been confirmed by the Courts (next week and could go the other way but apparently its unusual for the Court not to follow the recommendations of the authority) my understanding is the view of the competition authority is that 16 teams with vested financial interests voting to effectively exclude a "competitor" was anti competitive.

Belgian law and UK competition law will no doubt be slightly different but as both are supposed to implement an EU Directive then not that different.

The French decision (which is long and I don't have the ability to fully translate/understand) appears to be based primarily on fairness and that the level of unfairness/harm on the 2 relegated teams was not outweighed by the public interest in ending the league in circumstances where the league had other less unfair options available to it (such as expanding the top division).

Please note the above is my best efforts at understanding the decisions. It may be wrong!

I think the EFL covered themselves procedurally through the method used for the votes. The FA successfully defended their null and void decision in an arbitration decision released yesterday on the same basis (i.e. that the FA was acting within its powers in deciding to null and void and followed the correct procedures).

Which is why in my view any challenge to be successful (and they may or may not) will need to be founded on something other than procedural impropriety.