Pugin

The verminous Football Lads Alliance

5 hours ago, ELYOUKAYEE said:

Any chance the admins can move this thread into the Virtue Signalling Forum...?

Thanks.

[joke]And point me in that direction?

I love a bit of virtue signalling[/joke]

6 hours ago, ELYOUKAYEE said:

Any chance the admins can move this thread into the Virtue Signalling Forum...?

Thanks.

Any chance the admins can move this post into the Renta Cliche Forum.

Thanks

Edited by The Bristol Nest
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Somebody tell me why? Why do people still think there should not be same **** marriage. Why?

I think you’ll find some of the minority’s you mention don’t agree with it because of their faith.

noun: virtue signaling
  1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
So is it possible to have morally correct opinions on an issue, and express them, without virtue signalling? Surely as virtue signalling is about intention, only the person expressing opinions knows whether or not they are virtue signalling?

59 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

noun: virtue signaling
  1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
So is it possible to have morally correct opinions on an issue, and express them, without virtue signalling? Surely as virtue signalling is about intention, only the person expressing opinions knows whether or not they are virtue signalling?

Look at the definition. It's all about intention. 

So the answer to your question is categorically Yes.

Oh that all questions were as easy to answer!

Other things to go in Bristol harbour. 

The phrase virtue signalling. 

The hot take opinions of Sarah Vine and Allison Pearson. 

TV producers that still think it is fun to have the opinion of Nigel Farage on race issues. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Other things to go in Bristol harbour. 

Grown men who call themselves "lads".

Apples

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Look at the definition. It's all about intention. 

So the answer to your question is categorically Yes.

Oh that all questions were as easy to answer!

Yes, the problem is people use the phrase without any care for the original intention.

People on here, on social media or pretty much anywhere often dismiss anybody showing concern for issues faced by minority groups as virtue signalling. To me, the use of the phrase says much more about the user than it does about the person they are aiming it at- namely that the person using it can't comprehend that anyone could sincerely show concern for people outside of their own group.

• Like 1

The literal phrase "put on a pedestal" means "to look up to; to aspire to" or "to love or admire someone so much that they are faultless".

The legacy of the busts and statues we have goes back to Greek and Roman times - high powered individuals were lauded by likenesses being made of them, for praise and adulation.

That is what statue is, and it is generally of it's time. Those which are no longer relevant belong in a museum - they have their own history and inform us as to what perceptions were in their own times. That Colston and others like him were lauded in the late Victorian era tells us about that time but is not necessarily relevant now. What Nelson and Churchill believed and how they acted is relevant to the times they lived in - what they gave us as a nation should not be forgotten, but equally what they believed has got little to do with 2020 and how we live today.

Removing such reminders of pain for so many people is not rewriting history or denying our heritage - it is simply recognising that times change, and we make progress. The kind of progress that brave, visionary men like those would have welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

NF's has the right to an opinion as much as you or I. Heaven forbid that you are openly advocating a culture whereby the only opinions that are granted airtime are those that you agree with??  

I don't think it is appropriate to get an old racist on to a debate about race that is all. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

I don't think it is appropriate to get an old racist on to a debate about race that is all. 

I kind of disagree-he needs to be wheeled out every now and again just so that everyone can see what he is.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

not the same one - that is my gripe

is the UK that short of bigots that another cannot be found ?

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Removing such reminders of pain for so many people is not rewriting history or denying our heritage -

I note that all physical tributes to Jimmy Savile were quickly removed.

I'm surprised that righties weren't up in arms about that bit of 'virtue signalling'.

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I kind of disagree-he needs to be wheeled out every now and again just so that everyone can see what he is.

Nigel Farage, the man actually entitled  to end any communication "  all the best ,NF". 

If he was as stupid as Gemma Collins , 'The GC', he could call himself The NF. Now that would  cause a bit of a shoitestorm. 

I have little respect for people who self-agrandise  by referring to themselves  in the third person... eh Bill.

Edited by wcorkcanary

3 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

My worry is that if people haven't sussed him out by now then they never will. 

As usual, the rush to decry everything means while Gone with the Wind is now withdrawn, Spartacus isn't.

Racism has just become anti black, not as it really is which is disliking or hating someone from a different race or culture.

Instead of this almost hysteria it is time for all to sit down and resolve how to end racism properly. Soft dead inanimate targets will never be able to tell us why they did it.

Lets get Robinson to tell us why he thinks the way he does. Why does he think he is superior. Shutting him up will not stop the way he thinks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just looked at that, Wow 

Jeez, weren't a couple of them black? I'm gonna Google. Yep, thought so . Racist, nah. Cultural appropriation, maybe..... not that I personally think that's a crime . After all, a lot of immigrants from far flung places now wear regular ' English ' clothes, are they guilty too. Is Facebook  the place where you can launch any old bandwagon and there'll be a queue to jump on it with you.( not you, one)

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, Herman said:

My worry is that if people haven't sussed him out by now then they never will. 

My hope is that people who have not been inclined to racism will not be swayed by him, and people who haven’t sussed him out already think like him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Facebook thinks The Specials are racist

There is no hope. We must all be racist 

Facebook doesn’t think they’re racist, it’s algorithms linked anyone or anything associated with skinheads as racist. Although originally skinheads in the 60s weren’t associated with racism anyway, that only came in the late 70s/early 80s.

On 09/06/2020 at 15:47, wooster said:

Interesting thing about the statue is that it was erected in 1895, but Colston died in 1721.  Historic England has the following on the statue.

HISTORY: Edward Colston (1636-1721) was the son of a prosperous Bristol merchant; the family had long been established in Bristol. Edward Colston was apprenticed to the London Mercers' Company in 1654, in which he was enrolled in 1673. Thereafter, Colston established his own successful business in London, trading with Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Africa. The details of precisely how Colston's fortune was accumulated are not recorded, but his business interests were wide. Besides trading extensively in various commodities, including cloth and wine, he acted as a money-lender, and had interests in the West Indian island of St Kitts. In 1680 he became a shareholder in the Royal African Company. The Company, which had been founded in 1672 in place of the Royal Adventurers, had a monopoly on trade with Africa until 1688, after which time it received fees from English traders. Colston took a leading role in the Company, serving on several committees, and becoming deputy governor in 1689. Other members of the Colston family had connections with the Company; Edward's brother Thomas supplied beads that were used to buy slaves.

Although his trade was based in London, Colston continued to take an interest in his native Bristol; it is thought that he moved here for a while during the 1680s. He inherited a Bristol business from his brother, and became a partner in a Bristol sugar refinery, processing sugar produced by slaves in the West Indies. He was elected a free burgess of the city, and a member of the Society of Merchant Venturers, which meant that he could trade out of Bristol. By 1689 Colston had taken up residence at Mortlake, Surrey, where he lived for the rest of his life, but the philanthropic benefaction for which he was to become famous was concentrated on Bristol, the city for which he was MP from 1710-14.

Edward Colston is buried at All Saints' Church in Bristol, where a monument, designed by Gibbs and carved by Rysbrack, lists his charities. The bronze statue in Colston Avenue was commissioned by a committee organised by J. W. Arrowsmith, a Bristol printer and publisher and a promoter of the Exhibition, whose premises overlooked the site. The statue was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Bristol on 13 November 1895.

Until the 1990s, Colston's involvement in the slave trade, the source of much of the money which he bestowed in Bristol, went largely unremarked. Since that time there has been growing interest in Bristol's role in the 'triangular trade', which saw ships leave Bristol filled with goods to purchase slaves, carry those slaves to West Indian plantations, and return to Bristol laden with sugar. Although Colston's principal connection with the slave trade was through the London-based Royal African Company, he has come to be seen as the pre-eminent representative of this aspect of Bristol's history.

A brilliant thread by historian Kate Williams on why his statue was erected. It wasn't average Bristolians.

7 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Facebook doesn’t think they’re racist, it’s algorithms linked anyone or anything associated with skinheads as racist. Although originally skinheads in the 60s weren’t associated with racism anyway, that only came in the late 70s/early 80s.

Yep and not all skinheads either.  Amongst those that were, they made a distinction between  Black of African( ok  by them)  origin  and Blasck of Asian ( not ok by them)Origin.  I remember hearing one say " I dont mind Ni**ers, its P*k*s I cant handle" . This was outside the Gluepot in Harrogate c 1979/80.

Will the pyramids be next thing to be pulled down as they were built with Egyptian slaves i believe ?

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Will the pyramids be next thing to be pulled down as they were built with Egyptian slaves i believe ?

To be pedantic , I think they were slaves of the Egyptians  😉 .It's all a bit daft  , by all means remove them from positions of prominence ( statues of naughty boys and girls, not the pyramids) but ffs educate people as to what they actually did, by making them museum pieces.  History  should not be forgotten  or erased ,it should be used to educate . So much of Britain was made great on the back of its Empire and the labour and materials it supplied, if it was all torn down there wouldn't be an awful lot left to look at in London  / Bristol/ liverpool/ Edinburgh etc This is how it was. Doesnt make it right. Hand wringing over the crimes of our ancestors achieves nothing. Too much to sort out in the present.The poisonous conts in the EDL and the FLA present a much more clear and present danger. As are the eeejits that use protest as a  excuse to loot.....totally plays into  the extreme  rights hands .

• Like 2