Jump to content
Pugin

The verminous Football Lads Alliance

Recommended Posts

This mob have crawled out from under a stone following the events in Bristol on the weekend. Up to their old tricks, they will be trailing Black Lives Matter  protests in order to 'protect our statues and museums'. 

These violent and racist vermin are looking to recruit gullible cohorts to conceal and confuse. As with most clubs, there is a tiny FLA element within the Norwich City fanbase.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pugin said:

This mob have crawled out from under a stone following the events in Bristol on the weekend. Up to their old tricks, they will be trailing Black Lives Matter  protests in order to 'protect our statues and museums'. 

These violent and racist vermin are looking to recruit gullible cohorts to conceal and confuse. As with most clubs, there is a tiny FLA element within the Norwich City fanbase.  

 

Well if our Police 'Service' did their job and had stopped the vandalism over the weekend it is very unlikely that these people would be planning anything (if in fact they are). Trying to burn the Union Jack on the Cenotaph + the graffiti on the Churchill memorial have zero to do with the originally noble aim of protesting against the American police violence against black people. In Bristol some of the protesters acted like a gang of savages and a number of the organisers were ashamed and expressed their indignation in the media as detrimental to their campaign. Colston may have been all the things the protesters say but the correct way would have been to put high pressure profile on the city council to take the statue down and move it into a museum where it could be accompanied by the explanations as to the bad stuff the guy got up to. What's next? Tearing down Nelson's Column? That was suggested by an Oxford Academic a year or so ago. Perhaps the Cenotaph Memorial will soon be deemed 'too offensive' as it 'glorifies white supremacy'. Believe me once a precedent for this sort of thing is seen to be 'officially sanctioned' it may well rapidly spiral out of control.          

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well if our Police 'Service' did their job and had stopped the vandalism over the weekend it is very unlikely that these people would be planning anything (if in fact they are). Trying to burn the Union Jack on the Cenotaph + the graffiti on the Churchill memorial have zero to do with the originally noble aim of protesting against the American police violence against black people. In Bristol some of the protesters acted like a gang of savages and a number of the organisers were ashamed and expressed their indignation in the media as detrimental to their campaign. Colston may have been all the things the protesters say but the correct way would have been to put high pressure profile on the city council to take the statue down and move it into a museum where it could be accompanied by the explanations as to the bad stuff the guy got up to. What's next? Tearing down Nelson's Column? That was suggested by an Oxford Academic a year or so ago. Perhaps the Cenotaph Memorial will soon be deemed 'too offensive' as it 'glorifies white supremacy'. Believe me once a precedent for this sort of thing is seen to be 'officially sanctioned' it may well rapidly spiral out of control.          

Spot on fellow rider.

However, unfortunately, it appears our Police 'service' are damned of they do and damned if they don't in terms of trying to control the protests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FLA are a bunch of idiots. The people that vandalised memorials and statues are equally a bunch of idiots. It's almost natural selection to let them go at one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well if our Police 'Service' did their job and had stopped the vandalism over the weekend it is very unlikely that these people would be planning anything (if in fact they are). Trying to burn the Union Jack on the Cenotaph + the graffiti on the Churchill memorial have zero to do with the originally noble aim of protesting against the American police violence against black people. In Bristol some of the protesters acted like a gang of savages and a number of the organisers were ashamed and expressed their indignation in the media as detrimental to their campaign. Colston may have been all the things the protesters say but the correct way would have been to put high pressure profile on the city council to take the statue down and move it into a museum where it could be accompanied by the explanations as to the bad stuff the guy got up to. What's next? Tearing down Nelson's Column? That was suggested by an Oxford Academic a year or so ago. Perhaps the Cenotaph Memorial will soon be deemed 'too offensive' as it 'glorifies white supremacy'. Believe me once a precedent for this sort of thing is seen to be 'officially sanctioned' it may well rapidly spiral out of control.          

The police are not a service and for the vast majority do an incredibly tough job in very difficult circumstances. 

Given the pandemic and the very real anger felt within humanity at injustice going on in the world, I would assume prevention of injury and loss of life is prioritised over damage to property. 

War memorials should absolutely be respected. Blaming police for not stopping damage rather than those that cause the damage is just plain wrong.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angry at some thinking the Cenotaph is right to attack. That winds a lot of people up on either side of the fence.

If you know all of Churchill's history, and having been to Galipoli, I can understand why his statue was targeted. That doesn't mean I condone it because I know how much he still means to people.

Why the hell was there still a statue to a slave trader in a modern British city? It's a very dark chapter in our history, not to be forgotten but not to be memorialised in a statue.

The FLA can take their plastic patriotism and sod off.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Herman said:

Angry at some thinking the Cenotaph is right to attack. That winds a lot of people up on either side of the fence.

If you know all of Churchill's history, and having been to Galipoli, I can understand why his statue was targeted. That doesn't mean I condone it because I know how much he still means to people.

Why the hell was there still a statue to a slave trader in a modern British city? It's a very dark chapter in our history, not to be forgotten but not to be memorialised in a statue.

The FLA can take their plastic patriotism and sod off.

The Colston stuff goes far beyond a statue too- plenty of roads, buildings and schools named after him in Bristol. While I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of 'mob justice' I can also see that the statue should have been taken down years ago. Also there was a campaign to get another plaque added explaining his involvement in the slave trade- which one of the Tory councilors was so incensed by he suggested vandalism to cover it up. Wonder how he feels now....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is that the righties are desperately scrabbling around for something to smear a popular response to a long time problem. The spray painting (?) was the work of one person - and no more reflects the views of everyone any more than if some cretin had defaced one of the statues outside of poorman road after a derby game.

That these right wing scum are trying to recruit people is a measure of their lack of support among the wider population.

And their hypocrisy is plain for all to see. City, along with other clubs, run a strong and well supported anti racism programme. Maybe these petty fascists should campaign against those programmes. Protest at the number of Germans and other nationalities 'coming over here and taking our players jobs.'

I suspect these protests will widen to take in other deviances. Some long term, and others that have arisen out of the absolute shambles of the incompetents - see schools about turn and failings over airport quarantine.

Most under 50 will not be aware of the recession of 1981 when whole industries were wrecked, when there was not even zero contracts to be had. Sadly mass unemployment is coming. Many now on furlough won't find there is a job to go back to,

And if the death toll rises and the chaos of bungled locked down follows it will not be pretty.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was there any doubt that the FLA or its members who are obviously entrenched in other groups, would appear at a time like this. They were waiting for an opportunity and the idiots in Bristol gave them the opening they were looking for.

Whatever Colston did to earn his money was wrong. There is no excuse. But there are ways to achieve your goals and the way the protesters leapt on the statue after it was pulled of the plinth and beat it with sticks was bizarre.

I believe their is only one way that life should be led. A meritocracy based on equal opportunity irrespective of race, creed, religion, education or class. Then we might see an end to the problems like these that flare up from time to time and yet never are resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"the way the protesters leapt on the statue after it was pulled of the plinth and beat it with sticks was bizarre. "

Lord of the Flies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All it's done is reinforce my belief that there is absolute scum on both sides of the fence, as has always been the case and as per usual the answer lies somewhere in the middle but people get too entrenched in their political beliefs meaning we'll never achieve that.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way the poster twisted vague mistaken memories and  then construed them to be fact was bizzarre.

Lord of the Lies.

No escape , LieBilious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hogesar said:

All it's done is reinforce my belief that there is absolute scum on both sides of the fence, as has always been the case and as per usual the answer lies somewhere in the middle but people get too entrenched in their political beliefs meaning we'll never achieve that.

Agreed, the problem comes as said where do you stop with the links to a very dark time, do you continue and set fire to houses, stately homes, cities built on the trade back century’s ago?

I suppose you can remove all those associated with this vile time in our history, but how can you draw the line, where should we stop or should we actually not need to be effected by a statue of someone from 280 years ago, should we as a society actually be beyond this? Surely if nothing else this lockdown shows how well we can all work together, help each other and how everyone is equal....accept each other now and this wouldn’t be an issue, trouble is there’s racism from all sides, while there are these blinkered stupid people about there will never be a level playing field.

Black lives matter, so do all lives, they shouldn’t have used such a divisive slogan but all lives matter, all inclusive off all races, cultures and people. We’re all united together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only if the murderers of Rodney King in 1991 had not been acquitted and been convicted of the crime there in all probability George Floyd would still be with us.  I understand there have been no convictions or even prosecutions of police officers for any deaths in custody either in the UK or US.  One conviction would send a message to the IPCC not to murder prisoners.  There needs to be changes in the police attitude of police on both sides of the Atlantic.  Do police forces in the US carry out psychometric testing to eliminate racists or is it a prerequisite for the job.

On the subject of the Bristol mob hopefully the police have evidence from videos of the event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colston stuff has been going on for years only for The Merchant Venturers to prevent name changes and removals.  I was heavily threatened by a far right thug on Facebook Sunday evening for suggesting that whilst I disagree with vandalism,most Bristolions won't mourn its loss. It has brought out the racists and thugs.

On the up side his posts threatening me and his GoFundMe appeal to put it back has put him in the cross hairs of BLM far left lunatics.  At last count he has 40 more followers who have not expressed support for his views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Only if the murderers of Rodney King in 1991 had not been acquitted and been convicted of the crime there in all probability George Floyd would still be with us.  I understand there have been no convictions or even prosecutions of police officers for any deaths in custody either in the UK or US.  One conviction would send a message to the IPCC not to murder prisoners.  There needs to be changes in the police attitude of police on both sides of the Atlantic.  Do police forces in the US carry out psychometric testing to eliminate racists or is it a prerequisite for the job.

On the subject of the Bristol mob hopefully the police have evidence from videos of the event.

10 000 people, no arrests. They have footage and will arrest them after the event. Best to avoid a pitched battle against protesters with the potential for serious injury than intervening to stop a statue being removed. One that only a small portion of the population respect. Different when it's a war memorial.This Colston issue has been a thing for years. I suspect that the restraint of our Bame population up until this point has been remarkable.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

The Colston stuff has been going on for years only for The Merchant Venturers to prevent name changes and removals.  I was heavily threatened by a far right thug on Facebook Sunday evening for suggesting that whilst I disagree with vandalism,most Bristolions won't mourn its loss. It has brought out the racists and thugs.

On the up side his posts threatening me and his GoFundMe appeal to put it back has put him in the cross hairs of BLM far left lunatics.  At last count he has 40 more followers who have not expressed support for his views.

99% of these people won't have heard of Colston before this weekend- I know I hadn't!

Amazing how they are now so concerned about the importance of this one statue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thing about the statue is that it was erected in 1895, but Colston died in 1721.  Historic England has the following on the statue.

HISTORY: Edward Colston (1636-1721) was the son of a prosperous Bristol merchant; the family had long been established in Bristol. Edward Colston was apprenticed to the London Mercers' Company in 1654, in which he was enrolled in 1673. Thereafter, Colston established his own successful business in London, trading with Spain, Portugal, Italy, and Africa. The details of precisely how Colston's fortune was accumulated are not recorded, but his business interests were wide. Besides trading extensively in various commodities, including cloth and wine, he acted as a money-lender, and had interests in the West Indian island of St Kitts. In 1680 he became a shareholder in the Royal African Company. The Company, which had been founded in 1672 in place of the Royal Adventurers, had a monopoly on trade with Africa until 1688, after which time it received fees from English traders. Colston took a leading role in the Company, serving on several committees, and becoming deputy governor in 1689. Other members of the Colston family had connections with the Company; Edward's brother Thomas supplied beads that were used to buy slaves.

Although his trade was based in London, Colston continued to take an interest in his native Bristol; it is thought that he moved here for a while during the 1680s. He inherited a Bristol business from his brother, and became a partner in a Bristol sugar refinery, processing sugar produced by slaves in the West Indies. He was elected a free burgess of the city, and a member of the Society of Merchant Venturers, which meant that he could trade out of Bristol. By 1689 Colston had taken up residence at Mortlake, Surrey, where he lived for the rest of his life, but the philanthropic benefaction for which he was to become famous was concentrated on Bristol, the city for which he was MP from 1710-14.

Edward Colston is buried at All Saints' Church in Bristol, where a monument, designed by Gibbs and carved by Rysbrack, lists his charities. The bronze statue in Colston Avenue was commissioned by a committee organised by J. W. Arrowsmith, a Bristol printer and publisher and a promoter of the Exhibition, whose premises overlooked the site. The statue was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Bristol on 13 November 1895.

Until the 1990s, Colston's involvement in the slave trade, the source of much of the money which he bestowed in Bristol, went largely unremarked. Since that time there has been growing interest in Bristol's role in the 'triangular trade', which saw ships leave Bristol filled with goods to purchase slaves, carry those slaves to West Indian plantations, and return to Bristol laden with sugar. Although Colston's principal connection with the slave trade was through the London-based Royal African Company, he has come to be seen as the pre-eminent representative of this aspect of Bristol's history.
 

Edited by wooster
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hogesar said:

All it's done is reinforce my belief that there is absolute scum on both sides of the fence, as has always been the case and as per usual the answer lies somewhere in the middle but people get too entrenched in their political beliefs meaning we'll never achieve that.

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

I've no doubt there are some awful people who've got involved in those protests- professional anarchist types, well off middle class white folks playing out their revolutionary fantasies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

 I think we all agree with most of your cynical assessment but however awful and tragic the past was, why erase it? Just let it serve as a reminder. 

I know Bristolians who would have been happy to see the statue removed. But not the way it was done. Most of the people I saw hitting that inanimate statue weren't born until after the Race Relations Act of 1976. That act sets out what racism is. And those of us around at the time knew full well what it meant for people who were racist.

So if that act has been around for 44 years, why are we still in this position? It isn't any Government's fault obviously. So who is the problem? Its all good to protest but to what end? How do we end racism?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

 I think we all agree with most of your cynical assessment but however awful and tragic the past was, why erase it? Just let it serve as a reminder. 

I know Bristolians who would have been happy to see the statue removed. But not the way it was done. Most of the people I saw hitting that inanimate statue weren't born until after the Race Relations Act of 1976. That act sets out what racism is. And those of us around at the time knew full well what it meant for people who were racist.

So if that act has been around for 44 years, why are we still in this position? It isn't any Government's fault obviously. So who is the problem? Its all good to protest but to what end? How do we end racism?

What a great question KG, how do we end racism? While all communities segregate into each typical types there’s always going to be barriers! Irony of just voting to put barriers up in the UK. 😉

But I have to say racism isn’t unique to white people, I’ve heard people from different ethnic backgrounds use racist remarks towards others. I’m at a loss really as I’m happy to see us all in the same light, colour or backgrounds doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

While there’s still very much an underlying issue from awful individuals in many countries, the law must treat everyone in equal measures and hopefully we might slowly see less of a divide, additionally we need more diversity in the police forces, justice system too.

But totally see from where we were in the 70s to where we are now is a huge leap but we’ve still got some way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

 I think we all agree with most of your cynical assessment but however awful and tragic the past was, why erase it? Just let it serve as a reminder. 

I know Bristolians who would have been happy to see the statue removed. But not the way it was done. Most of the people I saw hitting that inanimate statue weren't born until after the Race Relations Act of 1976. That act sets out what racism is. And those of us around at the time knew full well what it meant for people who were racist.

So if that act has been around for 44 years, why are we still in this position? It isn't any Government's fault obviously. So who is the problem? Its all good to protest but to what end? How do we end racism?

Agree with a lot of what you say KG, but really don't get this comment. How can you 'erase history' by pulling down a statue? A statue is a statement of civic endorsement and that is why the statue of Colston should have come down long ago. Nobody would deny that Adolf Hitler is a massive figure in German history, but that doesn't mean there's statues of him in Germany does it? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Agree with a lot of what you say KG, but really don't get this comment. How can you 'erase history' by pulling down a statue? A statue is a statement of civic endorsement and that is why the statue of Colston should have come down long ago. Nobody would deny that Adolf Hitler is a massive figure in German history, but that doesn't mean there's statues of him in Germany does it? 

 

I totally agree that statues of those we now consider beyond the pale no longer have a place in anyone's lives. But why wasn't this addressed in 1976? Why now?

But I also believe that there is an agenda to redact parts of our history.

And while racism does still exist, so does genocide such as Syria and Myanmar.

So while the current outrage is totally justified, surely the call should be that All Lives Matter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I totally agree that statues of those we now consider beyond the pale no longer have a place in anyone's lives. But why wasn't this addressed in 1976? Why now?

But I also believe that there is an agenda to redact parts of our history.

And while racism does still exist, so does genocide such as Syria and Myanmar.

So while the current outrage is totally justified, surely the call should be that All Lives Matter.

 

Of course all lives matter, that's why we protect those lives that are threatened more than us in our societies. All houses matter but let's concentrate on the one that's on fire.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I totally agree that statues of those we now consider beyond the pale no longer have a place in anyone's lives. But why wasn't this addressed in 1976? Why now?

But I also believe that there is an agenda to redact parts of our history.

And while racism does still exist, so does genocide such as Syria and Myanmar.

So while the current outrage is totally justified, surely the call should be that All Lives Matter.

There isn't a time I hear about what goes on in Syria and Myanmar that doesn't shock and sicken me. The inaction of governments who could and should act in both of these atrocities is a shame on humanity.

Why now? Why not. It's high time we look at these people who have been immortalised and decide whether history should have judged them differently.

All lives absolutely matter. But the point isn't just that black lives should matter. The point is that there's a lot of evidence that black lives don't matter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Petriix said:

Yes. On one hand you've got people who actively want to harm, oppress and degrade people because of the colour of their skin and on the other hand you've got those nasty people who want equality, fairness and the acknowledgement of past travesties; and it's the horrible latter who viciously attacked that inanimate statue - the brutes! They're clearly all as bad as each other!

Talk about backing up my previous post in regards to people being so biased they cant accept blame on both sides. Such a shame people cant be a bit more open minded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I totally agree that statues of those we now consider beyond the pale no longer have a place in anyone's lives. But why wasn't this addressed in 1976? Why now?

But I also believe that there is an agenda to redact parts of our history.

And while racism does still exist, so does genocide such as Syria and Myanmar.

So while the current outrage is totally justified, surely the call should be that All Lives Matter.

 

Fully agree KG , I went to a very " old fashioned " school. We were taught from an atlas in which half the world was marked in Pink.... the British Empire. We were also taught that " we British"  were the leaders in the anti slavery movement, no real mention of our participation in it until the winds of public opinion changed , and abolition became ' right on'. The best suggestions I have heard for that statue  are a) leave it in the water but mark the spot with a plaque explaining its history  and eventual demise or  b) dredge it up and put  it in a museum with a full explanation  of Colstons  role in the Slave Trade . A true story, now matter how distasteful  , must be told. 

Billy Liar  take note. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Of course all lives matter, that's why we protect those lives that are threatened more than us in our societies. All houses matter but let's concentrate on the one that's on fire.

Syrian houses are not on fire. They crumble to the ground when shells hit them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...