Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Something to raise our spirits

I like Steve Coogan generally but I have always found the Alan Partridge character cringingly unwatchable and unfunny.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I like Steve Coogan generally but I have always found the Alan Partridge character cringingly unwatchable and unfunny.

Knowing Me Knowing You With Alan Partridge was hilarious. And he was very funny on The Day Today.

Don't think he's ever hit those heights since in fairness.

Saw Steve Coogan at the Norwich Theatre Royal, and which was quite a few years ago now....Was a pretty good gig, Paul and Pauline Calf and a some of his other characters.....Loved Alan Partridge.....Alpha Papa was ok but not a real big fan of him these days....

Incidentally (and just a bit o' trivia)....Martin Coogan (Steve Coogan's older brother) was the lead singer of the indie band 'The Mock Turtles'.....

"Can You Dig It?".....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Incidentally (and just a bit o' trivia)....Martin Coogan (Steve Coogan's older brother) was the lead singer of the indie band 'The Mock Turtles'.....

How much do you have to shell out to see the Mock Turtles ?

I've seen Coogan twice, both the theatre Royal. First time he was was brilliant, and finished with his excellent Kate Bush rendition. 

However 2nd time was on his semi comeback and after the initial dates the reviews in the press slaughtered him and the show was anti press. He finished with a song about the press with some dancers with umbrellas, which at the end they turned around to spell out the 4 letter c word directed at the press. Totally unfunny and unnecessary. 

Coogans mate Rob Brydon is a much better watch and talent in my view. 

My evening was made even worse when the score from carrow road came in, and I'd missed a liroy lita hatrick in a city victory, which I think was a rearranged game (possibly for tv), and clashed with my theatre date, from memory. Wish I'd gone to the match 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I agree. I never liked it, I just don't "get it" like Little Britain and The Office; I never got them either. I think you either find those cringy situations funny and really like those types of show or you don't. I don't. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Couldn't agree more. Saw Steve in Cambridge years ago on stage as Paul Calf and his sister Pauline. I have never laughed so much in my life. As for his Alan Partridge  character it leaves me stone cold .

The film was disappointing but some of the Partridge stuff is brilliant. The original radio show was one of the funniest things going.

11 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I agree. I never liked it, I just don't "get it" like Little Britain and The Office; I never got them either. I think you either find those cringy situations funny and really like those types of show or you don't. I don't. 

Fawlty Towers was also cringy, but was brilliantly funny as the writing was great. The AP stuff isn’t as far as I’m concerned. Mind you, I don’t really rate much of the recent comedy all that funny-Peep Show, Little Britain, League of Gentlemen etc 

Loving all the BBC iplayer re-runs of Peter Kay's 'Car Share'.....I also really fancy Sian Gibson, she's just my kind o' gal......

12 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Coogans mate Rob Brydon is a much better watch and talent in my view.

There are very few people who I have to switch off the moment they appear anywhere and Rob Brydon is one of those who I cannot bear to see on my TV screen - and I had that opinion even before his dreadful and cringeworthy foray into making adverts for luxury cruises.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There are very few people who I have to switch off the moment they appear anywhere and Rob Brydon is one of those who I cannot bear to see on my TV screen - and I had that opinion even before his dreadful and cringeworthy foray into making adverts for luxury cruises.

Just shows ldc we all have different likes and tolerances. 

Brydons book is a good read, and how hard he worked to get where he is. 

Agree there can be too much exposure of certain celebs / characters which can be overbearing. 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Just shows ldc we all have different likes and tolerances. 

Brydons book is a good read, and how hard he worked to get where he is. 

Agree there can be too much exposure of certain celebs / characters which can be overbearing. 

James Corden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

James Corden.

He has worked in reverse for me, couldn't stand him years ago, so swerved Gavin & Stacey. Interesting also has Brydon in the cast, and Coogan as a producer. 

Binge watches G&S last month, so I could enjoy the christmas special return. 

Don't watch Cordon on his yank show or anything else though. 

It's not as bad nowadays but in those early days he was on every show, or seemed to be, and if you don't find someone that funny to start with it gets grating rather quickly.

5 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Fawlty Towers was also cringy, but was brilliantly funny as the writing was great. The AP stuff isn’t as far as I’m concerned. Mind you, I don’t really rate much of the recent comedy all that funny-Peep Show, Little Britain, League of Gentlemen etc 

Fawlty Towers wasn't cringy for me, just brilliant. I agree with everything else you have said, didn't like any of those you have listed.

As for Rob Brydon, I saw him at the Theatre Royal (10 or so years ago), he filmed the DVD there and I have watched the DVD - of the night which I attended - back and I did not find it even slightly funny, even though I found it hilarious whilst there. I also don't find him funny on the TV, perhaps you have to be there.

43 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Fawlty Towers wasn't cringy for me, just brilliant. I agree with everything else you have said, didn't like any of those you have listed.

As for Rob Brydon, I saw him at the Theatre Royal (10 or so years ago), he filmed the DVD there and I have watched the DVD - of the night which I attended - back and I did not find it even slightly funny, even though I found it hilarious whilst there. I also don't find him funny on the TV, perhaps you have to be there.

Not unlike watching a play on a screen, or listening to recorded music. A drama or a concert live in front of you on a stage has that "unbottleable" essence that is just lost for me on a screen. Stand-up comedy live is great fun, but I would rarely, if ever, watch stand-up on a screen. Although saying that, I did watch an hour-long Bill Hicks set a year or two ago (recorded - fast-forward through the breaks!). Funny, but surely would have been far superior in the flesh. Sketch comedy crosses over much better onto the screen though. 

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Peep Show is my one exception. Otherwise I totally agree.

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I was at that one too, and also have the DVD, although am yet to watch. Perhaps that is another one for lockdown viewing. 

The most uplifting thing for my Spirits is that from Monday  I can now travel throughout the County or 20 km whichever is the furthest , which means with work, angling and a bit of footy to watch as from next week , there is no way I'll have to watch the God awful Alan Smug Partridge, maybe ever again.

If I need a laugh then Yumi Nagashima is one of my go to comedians.

Deadpan, demure and  filthy. (I'm sure you'll enjoy watching her TIL 😉 ) And remember......... circular motion 😉 

12 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Love Tho office and haven’t seen anything better than the League of Gentleman. Give it another go.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Love Tho office and haven’t seen anything better than the League of Gentleman. Give it another go.

The League of Gentlemen is great. Dark, creepy and very funny at times. Its only problem is that you have to watch the series to fully appreciate it. No dipping in and out.

On 05/06/2020 at 19:19, TIL 1010 said:

How much do you have to shell out to see the Mock Turtles ?

A squid.....

5 hours ago, Herman said:

The League of Gentlemen is great. Dark, creepy and very funny at times. Its only problem is that you have to watch the series to fully appreciate it. No dipping in and out.

Pops maybe the darkest ? For funny moments just watch a compilation of the vet in action on YouTube.