Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

5 Subs....

Unfair advantage to the bigger clubs who can now put 9 players on their bench and make use of their 100's of millions of talent more often?

Meh, have a feeling the rest of the season is gonna suck pretty hard

If they can name 9 subs and they the rest of the coaching team will have to socially distance they're going to need the City stand to space them all out.

• Haha 1

Pretty much sums up my feelings when I first heard of the idea.

It benefits teams like Man City who stockpile talent, but it also totally changes the tactical side of substitutions. Can't help but feel Farke would have been more proactive with subs this year if we had this rule throughout, but arguments of 'integrity of the game' are long since past.

• Like 1

Unfair advantage to the bigger clubs who can now put 9 players on their bench and make use of their 100's of millions of talent more often?

Its what it has been all along Hoggy. All about the bigger clubs. Dowden said that football was going to restart with money being trickled down to the lower leagues. I haven't seen or read anything more about it.

• Like 1

Just imagine us against Man City final day and we need a point.  With 20 minutes to go on come Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Sane and Jesus!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its what it has been all along Hoggy. All about the bigger clubs. Dowden said that football was going to restart with money being trickled down to the lower leagues. I haven't seen or read anything more about it.

Yeah, it certainly feels like it KG.

I don't know, I'm sure once it all starts i'll get back into it but i'm really struggling to 'get it' right now.

Not sure I really understand why it's really necessary to have 5 subs, it isn't as likely that a player is going to contract Covid-19 during the match and need to come off the pitch. If anything it increases the risk as there will be more different players involved either on the pitch or sitting around. However, to be fair apparently it was international law-makers who initially approved the change not just the EPL.

Don't think I've seen it mentioned whether the number of homegrown players also has to increase as part of the matchday squad? We can still use it to our advantage, e.g have all of our CHs in the squad, plus hopefully the long break will have given Pukki the time to get fit and a nice rest for Tettey.

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Don't think I've seen it mentioned whether the number of homegrown players also has to increase as part of the matchday squad? We can still use it to our advantage, e.g have all of our CHs in the squad, plus hopefully the long break will have given Pukki the time to get fit and a nice rest for Tettey.

I don’t think there is a rule for the match day squad, it’s just no more than 17 non home-grown players in the squad of 25 that is registered either at the start of the season or at the end of January during the season.

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not sure I really understand why it's really necessary to have 5 subs, it isn't as likely that a player is going to contract Covid-19 during the match and need to come off the pitch. If anything it increases the risk as there will be more different players involved either on the pitch or sitting around. However, to be fair apparently it was international law-makers who initially approved the change not just the EPL.

Believe it’s because games will be every 4 days, so it spreads out the workload!   

Could argue a more stable team will gel quicker.    Regardless, we just need to ignore any disadvantage and go positive, hope for few injuries and that Pukki and Buendia hit top form.   

• Like 1

Absolutely agree the bigger clubs with the deeper squads will be advantaged especially when the inevitable injuries come along to disproportionately damage the weaker squads. But there is an upside which could play out to our advantage. The top clubs don’t need to gamble, we do and the extra subs means that Daniel could throw a curve ball and put in players who may have a big impact on their day – youngsters or some who have been bit part players for whatever reason. If it doesn’t come off there are changes available from the bench without exhausting options for later on. It’s a whole lot different to putting those same players on late on to try and turn a game, that’s the bigger gamble and harder to justify if it doesn’t come off. So we might see a very different Daniel when it comes to use of subs.

I think they are also upping it to five because the clubs said they haven't trained for long enough.

Yes, And? Whose fault is that?

I would guess a few of our youngsters will now make the bench to make up the 9 subs. We don’t seem to have much strength in depth beyond the regular starters.

On the plus side, Vrancic may get used more often.

Edited by ec-p

According to The Athletic, we were one of 4 clubs who voted against the 5 subs, but we did vote for the increased matchday squad size.

26 minutes ago, CaptCanary said:

According to The Athletic, we were one of 4 clubs who voted against the 5 subs, but we did vote for the increased matchday squad size.

With Farke generally dithering about using 3 subs the thought of having to decide about using 5 subs was probably a step too far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

With Farke generally dithering about using 3 subs the thought of having to decide about using 5 subs was probably a step too far.

image.png.7523190045806fb2fc3a01696161fc78.png

December we were told they couldn't change rules on VAR midseason (despite them being implemented incorrectly) because of the integrity of the game. 

Fast forward a few months and every hair brained idea possible is being explored because the integrity of the game no longer matters apparently. Can't say I see how 5 subs benefits anyone other than the wealthiest clubs in a league that is already massively skewed because of the finances of those same clubs. Teams were already playing games every 3 or 4 days so I don't buy the injuries reason.

I don't suppose the integrity will matter when after 2 games Liverpool have won the league a few big club's players get Covid-19 and the season is suspended. Liverpool are awarded the title and we get relegated on the basis of points per game. I bet this happens. 

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 15:43, TIL 1010 said:

All of this in the name of integrity apparently.

Nobody - Nobody - believes this, not even those saying it. (I realise you are joking, I just don't understand why they use this as an excuse when we know they don't mean it and they know we know!).

11 hours ago, crispeduk said:

So we might see a very different Daniel when it comes to use of subs.

We won't. Disclaimer, I love Farke, but his use of subs this season frustrate me immensely.

7 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

December we were told they couldn't change rules on VAR midseason (despite them being implemented incorrectly) because of the integrity of the game. 

Fast forward a few months and every hair brained idea possible is being explored because the integrity of the game no longer matters apparently.

Slightly different circumstances!

Edited by All the Germans