keelansgrandad

Film

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nice easy one to start with

1126657515_th(1).jpg.d0c0b1895a4f5d7a14f320279d5e4d1d.jpg

hugh.jpg.d586b1e15b1215f0168c2b9c71c0f917.jpg

nat.jpg.a9a037e3d6627ca9605032a33f1fabf3.jpg

bea.jpg.67b65524e05019903209124183fac727.jpg

bb-king-performing-live-on-stage-with-his-band-at-the-royal-albert-hall-june-28-2011-photo-by-kevin-nixonguitarist-magazinefuture-via-getty-images.thumb.jpg.e9439852969ecf8506b4dfbbd489fed1.jpg

That is your definition of easy?! I only recognised Pic 2 (altho I think I know who Pic 1 is but don't get the reference then to the film title...) but close attention to detail led me to working out Pic 5, and so the film. Based on a book by a brand of cake...

That is your definition of easy?! I only recognised Pic 2 (altho I think I know who Pic 1 is but don't get the reference then to the film title...) but close attention to detail led me to working out Pic 5, and so the film. Based on a book by a brand of cake...

Well it did only take you an houršŸ‘

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well it did only take you an houršŸ‘

I thought Pic 1was Rutger Hauer, but if it is who I now think it might be (makes sense with the title)Ā  then that is more obscure than any clue I have ever posted! I have read two of this books but he is hardly well-known...

I thought Pic 1was Rutger Hauer, but if it is who I now think it might be (makes sense with the title)Ā  then that is more obscure than any clue I have ever posted! I have read two of this books but he is hardly well-known...

Not obscure but perhaps not easily recognisable. First came to my attention by directing the original Manhunter starring William Petersen and Brian Cox. But has gone on to be involved with some memorable movies

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not obscure but perhaps not easily recognisable. First came to my attention by directing the original Manhunter starring William Petersen and Brian Cox. But has gone on to be involved with some memorable movies

Oh that's what he looks like. My author with a similar surname (actually only one 'n', unusually) looks not unalike:

John Man

Ā 

Sigh...the problems of being born on the cusp of generation X and at the end of the baby boomers.

Ā 

Edited by sonyc

30 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Sigh...the problems of being born on the cusp of generation X and at the end of the baby boomers.

I was born in 1987. I literally don't know who any of those people are. I worked out number 5 but only because of the "attention to detail clue".

Picture 2Ā appears to show one ofĀ Peter Mandelson's ancestors (I'm fairly certain that's not correct though). That's literally as close as I can get.

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I was born in 1987. I literally don't know who any of those people are. I worked out number 5 but only because of the "attention to detail clue".

Picture 2Ā appears to show one ofĀ Peter Mandelson's ancestors (I'm fairly certain that's not correct though). That's literally as close as I can get.

It sort of is, being Hugh Gaitskell.šŸ¤“

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It sort of is, being Hugh Gaitskell.šŸ¤“

I'll be honest, I had to google!

• Haha 1

I chose this one as a homage to two of the UK's favourite actors.

Of course as someone in his 70th year I assumed the luxury of supposing my history wad everyone elses.

I will think one that uses less older, in fact more alive, clues.

Ā 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I chose this one as a homage to two of the UK's favourite actors.

Of course as someone in his 70th year I assumed the luxury of supposing my history wad everyone elses.

I will think one that uses less older, in fact more alive, clues.

Ā 

got it, ta

As my boxing clue to a film not about boxing went down so wellšŸ˜œ here - mainly for KG - is a non-boxing clue about a film all about boxing. The clue is personified by the actorĀ  in the middle in the first pic and on the left in the second, rather than the two better-known actors. Off to the hillsšŸžļø for the day, so enjoy:

Peter Sellers As President Merkin Muffley Film Title Dr ...
Ā 
Peter Sellers As President Merkin Muffley Film Title Dr ...
Ā 

Ā 

easy peasy

two words,

4th letter, first word -i

3rd letter second word - l

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kick it off said:

Same. Zero idea who any of them are.

I was born in 1963 and I havenā€™t got the slightest idea about any of the people featured in any of the pictures šŸ˜³

• Haha 2

ahem.....some naughty folk right click on the pictures

then in the drop down box click on view image info (4th from bottom)

that might help you to know who is featured in pic

easy when you know how šŸ˜Š

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Same. Zero idea who any of them are.

Could we baby boomers get any more of a kicking?! BigFish blames us for every socio-economic problem his later generation has to suffer and now we are being slagged off for knowing cultural stuff from sometime before last week...šŸ¤“

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Could we baby boomers get any more of a kicking?! BigFish blames us for every socio-economic problem his later generation has to suffer and now we are being slagged off for knowing cultural stuff from sometime before last week...šŸ¤“

Ha!

You mentioned one of these is Hugh Gaitskell, who, according to wiki, died in 1963. I wasn't born for another 25 years!

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ha!

You mentioned one of these is Hugh Gaitskell, who, according to wiki, died in 1963. I wasn't born for another 25 years!

Further context - my dad was born in 1963.

I have so little idea who these people are that I initially tried to find a way that the progressively larger images were somehow the key.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ha!

I should point out it wasn't me who used a Hugh Gaitskell pic. I just identified it, but moving on, to quote Cat Stevens:

'You're still young, that's your fault,

There's so much you have to know.'

...but then of course you will claim you have no idea who Cat Stevens is or was...šŸ˜œ

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I should point out it wasn't me who used a Hugh Gaitskell pic. I just identified it, but moving on, to quote Cat Stevens:

'You're still young, that's your fault,

There's so much you have to know.'

...but then of course you will claim you have no idea who Cat Stevens is or was...šŸ˜œ

C'mon granddad, he's Yusuf Islam now šŸ˜‰

• Haha 1

Ha back at you! There is probably a serious study to be written on this, but every generation has its memories, often from a particular time, and later stuff passes one by. For example, I had until today never heard of the band Sweet, whose bassist has just died. Some here may be horrified by that...

• Sad 1

Was talking with a mate about UB40, then realised that a lot of young ups wouldnā€™t know what a UB40 was. Daft thing is, I donā€™t consider myself to be that old ! šŸ˜

You mean you never had glittery hair, silver pants or stack heeled boots? i am shocked at your lack of glam Purple.

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

You mean you never had glittery hair, silver pants or stack heeled boots? i am shocked at your lack of glam Purple.

Luckily no photographic evidence of this survives but I remember walking into a pubšŸ· in darkest Norfolk (first turn your watches back several decadesšŸ•Ÿ) one Sunday morning in the late 1960s wearing crushed velvet bell-bottom trousers in a fetching shade of pinky fawn and a beigy floralšŸŒŗshirt with wide lapels, and looking just a touch out of place...šŸ˜•

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Ha!

You mentioned one of these on the Bayeux Tapestry was Harold - I wasnā€™t born until ten centuries after that

Ā 

ps anyone following my suggestion above will find the answer easy

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Luckily no photographic evidence of this survives but I remember walking into a pubšŸ· in darkest Norfolk (first turn your watches back several decadesšŸ•Ÿ) one Sunday morning in the late 1960s wearing crushed velvet bell-bottom trousers in a fetching shade of pinky fawn and a beigy floralšŸŒŗshirt with wide lapels, and looking just a touch out of place...šŸ˜•

probably because the pub didn't open until 12 noon on a Sunday

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Iā€™m not surprised-chartreuse green was the in colour at the time šŸ¤£

• Haha 1