Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Nightmare For Every Parent.

On 05/06/2020 at 09:21, ......and Smith must score. said:

I don’t think anyone thinks it shouldn’t have been reported just questioning the prominence given to the story.

For what it’s worth I think Archant got it right. The offender’s father is a well known former professional footballer and being famous comes with a downside if things go wrong.

It's Norwich for goodness sake, what story could they have possibly had which was bigger than a violent gang being jailed. Should they have put that on page 7 and then stick an old lady moaning about the number 14 bus on the front page? 

You seem to be suggesting that privately educated son of a millionaire should be treated differently to the son of a plasterer from Mile Cross. Why? 

Darren Huckerby will be embaressed but he son is he source of that not Archant. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's Norwich for goodness sake, what story could they have possibly had which was bigger than a violent gang being jailed. Should they have put that on page 7 and then stick an old lady moaning about the number 14 bus on the front page? 

You seem to be suggesting that privately educated son of a millionaire should be treated differently to the son of a plasterer from Mile Cross. Why? 

Would agree. The article I’ve seen says there was robbery while brandishing a hammer, and two of them (including Huckerby Jr.) have been convicted of possessing a knife, albeit on different dates. I’d be surprised if that sort of thing didn’t make front page news in most local papers! I’ve seen it mentioned in national papers/their websites, but only really in passing - as you would expect on a national scale - but for a daily local paper I don’t think front page is out of proportion at all.

As for Darren Huckerby, seems to have dealt with it quite well imo. As was the original point made - not a position any parent would want to be in.

The big question is WHY, good schooling, seem decent parents, can’t give the usual solicitors excuses of having a disturbed upbringing and mixing with the wrong crowd. Not even the usual theft excuse of other kids in school putting pressure on him. If it’s in you then this sentence will not make a scrap of difference 

4 minutes ago, daly said:

The big question is WHY, good schooling, seem decent parents, can’t give the usual solicitors excuses of having a disturbed upbringing and mixing with the wrong crowd. Not even the usual theft excuse of other kids in school putting pressure on him. If it’s in you then this sentence will not make a scrap of difference 

You could be 100 % wrong there Dalyo, with any luck this obviously cowardly young man may well have been just playing the Hardman, he will meet some real tough guys in the next few years, hopefully scaring the shoite out of him so that he'll decide that he is out of his depth and move on with his life. I understand  that YOI can be a college of crime, but as he has a family with enough resources to relaunch his life when he gets out, I for one hope he learns. Scumbag jonny from underprivileged  Villas he is not , I hope he wakes up to what a good life he could have.

11 minutes ago, daly said:

Why is a good question, but it can happen in any family, rich or poor. Sometimes the offspring of rich and/or famous kids rebel against their privilege, or they just can't handle the pressure of being the son or daughter of someone they have to try and live up to.  Who knows, it's sad whatever family it happens to, rich or not - unless the whole family are scumbags to start with, which is clearly not the case here. 

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 09:21, ......and Smith must score. said:

I don’t think anyone thinks it shouldn’t have been reported just questioning the prominence given to the story.

For what it’s worth I think Archant got it right. The offender’s father is a well known former professional footballer and being famous comes with a downside if things go wrong.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It would help if you read the whole post TVB.

” For what it’s worth I think Archant got it right “

Other posters might think it should have been kept off the front page. Not me.

22 hours ago, daly said:

Drugs.

Most of the druggies who rob to get cash for drugs are not in the same financial situation as Huckerby,  can’t imagine he needed to get involved in robbery to pay a few quid for drugs.