Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Nightmare For Every Parent.

Shame on you Evening News for splashing it all over the front page because of who his father is.  

You're better than that.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is sad for Darren and difficult for his family, but that Castle Gardens - which used to be a lovely place before they developed it, is now the hangout of druggies and is not a pleasant place to walk.  I always ventured there on my returns to Norwich as it was like an old haunt (my Dad used to go there on his lunchtime breaks) and I now avoid it.   Many parts of Norwich have improved immensely since I left, but Castle Gardens is not one of those places. 

He’s a young man still and will hopefully turn his life around. Fingers crossed the victims can move on too as it must be an experience from hell to walk into.

The people who you should be feeling sorry for are the victims.

While I couldn't condone it, I can maybe understand why someone poor or from a rough background might end up robbing people because they are desperate and have limited support; maybe if they're a drug addict or have mental health problems etc. However, it is the worst kind of low when someone from a millionaire family, brought up in the most privileged circumstances, decides to threaten and rob people just for fun.

Obviously it's awful for the parents but it's also a pretty poor reflection on them to have failed to instil an effective moral compass in their child. My only hope is that the kids will have learnt their lesson and will never behave like that again after they serve their time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The people who you should be feeling sorry for are the victims.

While I couldn't condone it, I can maybe understand why someone poor or from a rough background might end up robbing people because they are desperate and have limited support; maybe if they're a drug addict or have mental health problems etc. However, it is the worst kind of low when someone from a millionaire family, brought up in the most privileged circumstances, decides to threaten and rob people just for fun.

Obviously it's awful for the parents but it's also a pretty poor reflection on them to have failed to instil an effective moral compass in their child. My only hope is that the kids will have learnt their lesson and will never behave like that again after they serve their time.

Saying it's a poor reflection on the parents is wrong. As an ex cop I have come across many people who have tried to instil the right morals upon their children. Sometimes you can try all you want but they will still take their own path. I can also say that from a personal point of view. If there is any good to come out of this it is the fact that all of the young men involved will learn from it and move on. The fact is though many, not all, go on to claim they are the victims through poor upbringing. That needs to change in society. You can be the best parent in the world but young people's heads are turned by peers and they are easily swayed. Wrong choices when you are young doesn't mean you end up a wrong un for life. They just need guiding in the right direction. Not just down to parents to do this.

• Like 4

I have to agree 100% with canarycop, in my mid/late teens I was a complete nightmare (juvenile court, magistrates court you name it) and it had nothing to do with my upbringing, I simply mixed with the wrong people (football and scooters) and my parents had no idea what I was up to. My only fear for the Huckerbys is that prison may well screw up the boy for years.  

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is sad for Darren that the press should use him as a reason for promoting a story that would have been on the inside pages.

It is a valid story and if it had been put on some inside page Archant would have faced the accusation that it had downplayed it because of Darren Huckerby's reputation in the community.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Can I just say that not everyone that rides a scooter is the wrong sort of  person 😉

Maybe we'll leave that quote to the forum Mods.....?

• Haha 3

The lad is still very  young, I imagine that due to his father's previous  career he'll not get an easy time inside.  There is no real excuse for his behaviour, given his background,so he may not yet be in too deep, let's hope that a proper sentence, which he seems to have received ,is enough for him to see the error of his ways. No sympathy for him at all. Feel for Hucks though  as he seems a decent skin.  I've  been mugged in the past , in Leeds actually  and although I probably could have taken all of them individually , being surrounded  by essentially  kids, but with knives , is not a pleasant  experience.  All they wanted was my cash  as I wore no watch and mobile phones didnt exist back then. That incident still comes straight into my mind whenever mugging is mentioned.  It's a pretty low crime alright. I was young and fit then, imagine the impact on a little old lady or old fella wobbling his way home from the pub. 12 hour shifts  in a chain gang clearing the rubbish and dead deer of the A11 would be a useful punishment for these cowards . 

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe we'll leave that quote to the forum Mods.....?

You're off your Rocker.

3 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

I have to agree 100% with canarycop, in my mid/late teens I was a complete nightmare (juvenile court, magistrates court you name it) and it had nothing to do with my upbringing, I simply mixed with the wrong people (football and scooters) and my parents had no idea what I was up to. My only fear for the Huckerbys is that prison may well screw up the boy for years.  

You certainly don’t have to be the child of a single parent living in a high rise on a sink estate to get into trouble. Being the son of a millionaire footballer does have it’s downsides I suppose but it ought not to lead to this sort of behaviour.

No idea whether a YOI is a better place than prison to get back on the straight and narrow but hopefully he’ll learn his lesson for when he comes out.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Definitely. As youngsters, many of us got up to things which, although maybe not as bad as young Huckerby, if we had been caught would have got us into deep joy.

Got a shock coming to him if any of the inmates are from Ipswich Leeds or Man U 

Wouldn’t think he’ll be sleeping to well for a while 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Definitely. As youngsters, many of us got up to things which, although maybe not as bad as young Huckerby, if we had been caught would have got us into deep joy.

Did you go out robbing equipped with a hammer and a blade

Did you go out robbing equipped with a hammer and a blade

No, I didn't know anyone from West Ham or Sheffield.

I get your point. But as I said, nothing as bad as young Huckerby.

38 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

How would Pongo have dealt with him Tillo?

I think we both know the answer to that wcorkio.

2 hours ago, daly said:

Keelan

More like a bow and arrow set or a Pop Gun

You were lucky! I had an elastic band to protect myself up the Gala🕺

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think we both know the answer to that wcorkio.

Cagey answer Tillo. But yes , I think he may have clearly explained  to him the error of his ways .  

10 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Shame on you Evening News for splashing it all over the front page because of who his father is.  

You're better than that.

Aren't gangs convicted of serious crimes usually on the front page of the evening news? It is Norwich, this is big news.

8 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

My only fear for the Huckerbys is that prison may well screw up the boy for years.  

I don't disagree with what you have said, but having been the victim of a violent gang mugging which left me afraid to leave the house at night time for several years... I'll reserve my sympathy for the kids (article says they were younger) who were threatened with violence by this gang. 

Good words by Darren Huckerby though. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4

I am actually surprised at the length of the sentence. 

If a knife was used to threaten or if physical force was used or if there were significant previous conditions then it would be right so maybe all the facts weren't presented. 

Giving it a football analogy think of all the times in the 70's and 80's fans had scarves stolen in similar circumstances. Nothing happened! 

I feel sorry for the parents and especially for the victims but wonder whether 18 months inside will rehabilitate young Huckerby who is a very young man? 

Having said all of that this will give out a strong message to young lads who want to act in gangs in Norwich so a good deterrent sentence. 

16 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

You're better than that.

I’m not sure how they could have failed to report it-the incidents happened in the city centre and Hucks is a Norwich legend.

On 05/06/2020 at 02:36, Mr Angry said:

I’m not sure how they could have failed to report it-the incidents happened in the city centre and Hucks is a Norwich legend.

I don’t think anyone thinks it shouldn’t have been reported just questioning the prominence given to the story.

For what it’s worth I think Archant got it right. The offender’s father is a well known former professional footballer and being famous comes with a downside if things go wrong.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.