Sign in to follow this  
Bill

would we walk the championship ?

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

You're likely correct. I just harbor a nagging doubt that last season was one where 'stars aligned' to a certain extent and will be extremely difficult to recreate

I don’t think the aim should be to recreate last season. It was haphazard - we weren’t solid a lot of the time and, whilst I wouldn’t call it luck, I do think there was an element of Pukki being in ridiculous form and the energy and momentum carrying us along. That’s why we’ve been found lacking this season.

The aim has to be to build something a bit more sustainable so we fare better if/when we come up again. Tweak the system or style so it’s less about not caring if we concede 2 because we’ll score 3, and more about dominating games. There was a period September/October time last season when games were less “thrilling” but we probably looked better overall. It’s finding the balance and we haven’t been able to do it on a regular prolonged basis yet. 

On paper we would be the strongest side down there (depending who comes down with us) but we know what that league is like. The side Neil Adams had should have started better and without Alex Neils miracles would have stayed down there.

There are injuries to factor in as well, if we have this seasons luck again then we'd probably struggle to get playoffs but we have lots of capable back up that would hold its own at that level, even the likes of Raggett etc.

We have to hope our difference makers like Pukki, Buendia etc stay or some of the others up their game next season. We have basically done our transfer business with the likes of Sinani, Sitti, Bushiri, MacCallum all ready to start challenging for the first 11. All it would take is for a couple of them to turn out as good as Emi and we'd be laughing.

One player that is overlooked so far in terms of importance is Krul. We don't have anyone near as good and experienced as him and if he went, we would be chancing it with Mair etc. or he'd be tough to replace.

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It would be great to keep Emi. 

I don't think we've got a hope in hell of keeping Buendia in the Championship. 

No is the (surely obvious) answer to the question. Defensive cohesion needs to be tighter & sharper, but we've seen the age-old problem during this Farke era of losing the edge up top when trying to tighten up at the back. Will the likes of Krul, Aarons, Klose, Leitner (who looked good last season), Buendia & Cantwell still be here? Is a mix of Trybull, Tettey, an untried Sitti and the luckless Thompson enough around defensive midfield? What are the chances of another record-breaking Pukki blitz? How will the new signings bed in? Who has enough about them to step up from the u23s? How will things look financially? Will the famous parachute payments be affected by decisions from the powers that be? Assuming we do go down, which is probable, who's coming down with us? Far too many questions & variables at the moment to justify the OP's confidence. Norwich City above virtually all others (maybe not Leeds!😁)know how difficult it is to get promoted back to the top flight. Particularly in the season following relegation

Edited by paddycanary

16 hours ago, Clint said:

In all the times we’ve been relegated since I can recall (say circa 1990) we’ve never once strolled to promotion the next season. 
I’m pretty sure the Alex Neil play off final was the only time we’ve bounced straight back, and that was a struggle. 
I’ve seen some very good Norwich teams get relegated and drift into total mediocrity. I even recall the ‘on loan to the Endsleigh’ era which turned out to be a very long loan! 

To be fair Clint we always used to bounce back . We did it in 1975 under John Bond and in the 1980’s from memory we did it in 82 and 86 under Ken Brown . I think we came to expect an immediate return as three times in a row we came straight back up. It all changed in 1995 under Deehan and then took us till 2004 to get back up! 

I think with everything going on it's going to be even more difficult to predict than it usually is, and it's often impossible to predict the Championship anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think we've got a hope in hell of keeping Buendia in the Championship. 

A man can dream! 

Any team who gets relegated from the Premier League and thinks they're going to walk the Championship is in for a real rude awakening. The league is always incredibly tough and no relegated side ever 'walks it'. I'm sure teams like Stoke and Middlesbrough have expected to 'walk it' in recent years- I certainly expected them both to go straight back up- but they both struggled and now look at them.

Even if we keep all our best players it will be tougher than most think in that division. If we lose some then it could be a struggle.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think with everything going on it's going to be even more difficult to predict than it usually is, and it's often impossible to predict the Championship anyway.

Spot on.

We might struggle. We might do okay. We might absolutely boss it. The only thing for certain is nothing is for certain in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Any team who gets relegated from the Premier League and thinks they're going to walk the Championship is in for a real rude awakening.

If we keep hold of Farke, which I think we would, I think he'll largely be able to keep feet on the ground. 

But we'll be the team everybody wants to beat (alongside Villa perhaps), one problem with being the favourites is that every other team raises their game when facing you. 

Then you've got the bus parkers.

We went up with the benefit of being underestimated after a poor start. This time, if we go down, we're the team to beat from week 1. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I don’t think we’d walk the Championship. Every team that comes down struggles to recapture the form that got them promoted in the first place, a lot of it is down to the relegation hangover and a loss of morale. The problem is the the Championship is a really difficult league, it’s much easier to stay up in the EPL where 17th keeps you in rather than take your chances going down and trying to get up again...

...I’m getting the strangest sense of Deja Vu, like we’ve had this exact same conversation before. Anyone else? 

• Like 1

Events will lead to some serious changes. To keep Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki, Lewis, Aaron’s and Godfrey, we will need to stay up.

With the rest of our squad barely top champions players we’d struggle to get top six without those mentioned, yet we know we will lose at least four or five of them, through their choice and financial requirements.

It will be what business we can do in the summer and if those in the u 23 squad can make that step up, Bushiri, Idah etc.

Simple answer no, as we’d be a totally different side to what we have now I believe.

17 minutes ago, Indy said:

Events will lead to some serious changes. To keep Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki, Lewis, Aaron’s and Godfrey, we will need to stay up.

With the rest of our squad barely top champions players we’d struggle to get top six without those mentioned, yet we know we will lose at least four or five of them, through their choice and financial requirements.

It will be what business we can do in the summer and if those in the u 23 squad can make that step up, Bushiri, Idah etc.

Simple answer no, as we’d be a totally different side to what we have now I believe.

I'd say there's more than a good chance we'll hold on to Pukki, Lewis & Godfrey from your list above.

As for Buendia, I'd say he'll easily get a move & a pay rise to a 'bottom half' Prem team if he doesn't fancy another tilt at the Champo, which I don't think he will. 

I think Aarons has shown he has the quality & temperament, has youth & further potential & is homegrown. 

Cantwell has shown some great ability & skill, a willingness to work hard & improve and is also homegrown. 

For me, the 3 'irreplaceables' are Krul, Buendia & Pukki and I think we'll still have two of them come the beginning (when?) of next season. Still though, it's all a bit early for this conversation. 

8 hours ago, paddycanary said:

I'd say there's more than a good chance we'll hold on to Pukki, Lewis & Godfrey from your list above.

As for Buendia, I'd say he'll easily get a move & a pay rise to a 'bottom half' Prem team if he doesn't fancy another tilt at the Champo, which I don't think he will. 

I think Aarons has shown he has the quality & temperament, has youth & further potential & is homegrown. 

Cantwell has shown some great ability & skill, a willingness to work hard & improve and is also homegrown. 

For me, the 3 'irreplaceables' are Krul, Buendia & Pukki and I think we'll still have two of them come the beginning (when?) of next season. Still though, it's all a bit early for this conversation. 

The only one I disagree with you on here is Godfrey.

Homegrown, confident, ball playing central defender with huge potential. Not many of those come along. Add in the Rio Ferdinand agency factor and I'd be very surprised if we kept him.

Dont want to be pessimistic but I dont think we will walk it and indeed think it may be a struggle (even if we maintain the majority of the squad).

Easy to forget how much of the game is in the mind.....losing becomes as much of a habit as winning.

Our promotion was really built on momentum and team spirit rather than the pure quality of our squad (Buendia and Pukki perhaps being the exceptions). It was definitely a case of the sum being greater than the parts.

IF next season the players heads aren't right ie because they are just 'use' to losing, think they are 'better' than the championship, disappointed to have had their move to premiership declined, realise that the club have sold their best players and they arent one of them etc etc then it could be a very difficult season.

I am sure we will have a squad 'capable' of promotion but it definitely wont be easy.

On a more positive note, I'm still behind Farke achieving his 'miracle' and keeping us up OTBC!

On 02/06/2020 at 16:21, Bill said:

I think we will not have the problems of previous managers as this lot have been a fairly tight knit bunch.

Most clubs coming down have been 'basket case' well before they dropped, and that condition merely carried on.

And I don't think there will be the same money in the Championship next season. A lot of the supposed investors will not be there, or their money won't

I would be very confidant if we had to play in the Championship

If we do drop down we can at least look forward to no VAR !!!

My biggest concern at the moment is if we get relegated this season without the championship continuing. If this occurs all relegated clubs will be at a massive disadvantage having to go from an intense 6 week period of football with a short summer break to starting the new season. 

I saw a stat recently from Germany about there being 3x as many injuries now after the Covid break than this time in previous season. If we get impacted by this, which I suspect is very likely looking at our start of season injury crisis, then we will be at a huge disadvantage when starting the new season. 

The other question is whether there is going to be a reduction in parachute payments for the relegated clubs this season. I saw this being talked about early on but haven't seen much about it recently. 

On 03/06/2020 at 07:13, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’ve got a good feeling about Sinani

Me too but we all know that people will set about him after a few quiet games settling into English football. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Me too but we all know that people will set about him after a few quiet games settling into English football. 

Tbf to farke, he doesn’t always rush them in anyway. A good pre season and he will settle nicely. He’s banging them in the Europa league. He will be fine!

3 hours ago, king canary said:

The only one I disagree with you on here is Godfrey.

Homegrown, confident, ball playing central defender with huge potential. Not many of those come along. Add in the Rio Ferdinand agency factor and I'd be very surprised if we kept him.

I think there's an argument for us losing all our youngsters and equally an argument for losing none of them, but I agree Godfrey you'd have to say is a likely candidate.

I suppose the big question for me is, if we CAN afford to keep them, do we think we'd get a much better price in a years time rather than this season? Would it make financial sense to keep them all for a season - and would the players also feel they could get much better deals waiting another year?

Also, separate from my reply to King - I see people who are concerned about the mentality of our squad when we go down from losing too many games. What I would say to that is this season has really shown one key attribute missing from any other relegation season. The players are STILL playing the same way, still playing out from the back and still showing bravery and commitment to our style as well as self-confidence - despite the fact we've been losing. I think Farke and the other coaches deserve massive credit for the amount of belief they've been able to create and I don't personally think we've seen anything close in our other relegation seasons.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think there's an argument for us losing all our youngsters and equally an argument for losing none of them, but I agree Godfrey you'd have to say is a likely candidate.

I suppose the big question for me is, if we CAN afford to keep them, do we think we'd get a much better price in a years time rather than this season? Would it make financial sense to keep them all for a season - and would the players also feel they could get much better deals waiting another year?

Also, separate from my reply to King - I see people who are concerned about the mentality of our squad when we go down from losing too many games. What I would say to that is this season has really shown one key attribute missing from any other relegation season. The players are STILL playing the same way, still playing out from the back and still showing bravery and commitment to our style as well as self-confidence - despite the fact we've been losing. I think Farke and the other coaches deserve massive credit for the amount of belief they've been able to create and I don't personally think we've seen anything close in our other relegation seasons.

Agree with a lot of this. You'd imagine we have a style and method that will have continuity. On paper, that should help with a relegation unlike other seasons.

I wonder though because last season was quite exceptional in some amazing escapes, last minute winners, incredible drama. It wasn't as if we completely dominated the league right through the season. On this basis, even with such a stable team with 80% of the current players retained, it would be beyond incredible to repeat. Maybe we can strengthen our defence and stop those set piece type goals we were prone to.

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I can't see any way we keep all of them.

Webber has already made noises about not standing in the way of players career progression and I think the likes of Godfrey, Aarons and Cantwell will attract reasonably big clubs. The question will more be price. Plus, I just don't see a situation post Corona where we don't need a sale or two to at least give us a budget for next season.

2 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I’m surprised that Sloughbottom hasn’t been mentioned already

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m surprised that Sloughbottom hasn’t been mentioned already

Maybe it's just a slough news day?......

Another factor is how many games will be behind closed doors. FCR won't be much of a fortress with cardboard cutouts, and was vital to us getting critical points in key games last season. City were at their best when Buendia turned on the magic at a packed Carrow Rd, I'm not sure he or others would do that in a sterile environment.