Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Will 3-5-2 keep us up?

The Klose article in the Pinkun raises the possibility of Farke using 3 CB's.

Is it too late to change from 4-2-3-1 or is 3-5-2 going to save our season?

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

The Klose article in the Pinkun raises the possibility of Farke using 3 CB's.

Is it too late to change from 4-2-3-1 or is 3-5-2 going to save our season?

This is the formation I've been keen to see us use, although I'd suggest more of a 3-4-3 sort.

I think it would allow us to exploit Aarons and Lewis' natural attacking instincts, allow more cover at the back and let Buendia and Cantwell play without the concern of having to do loads of tracking back.

• Like 1

With clubs training regimes and planning sessions being very different to earlier in the season, it does allow us an advantage if we change formation.

Get that good result against Southampton and we are on the other teams heels.

I would be happy with the changes it strengthens the core of our defensive unit and organisation. Allowing our more potent attacking players to do what they are good at 

In the last few games played we were looking more solid defensively with Hanley performing well.  I believe a back three could work to our advantage.  With two wing backs with lots of energy on the flanks. A midfield without a DM but creativity with Vrancic, Buendia and Cantwell.  One up front Pukki will serve us well.

My main concern is that lack of sharpness will affect us disproportionately. Our game is built on razor sharp passing & telepathic (well almost) communication between players.

Having said that, if Timm can stay fit then 3 at the back with Max & Jamal flying down the wings would be fantastic. Also I believe  Onel should be back, possibly Sam too? Which helps - also Teemu's toe should be in pristine condition by now.

I'd be looking at something like this...

Krul

Godfrey, Zimmerman, Klose

Aarons, Vrancic, Tettey, Lewis

Buendia, Pukki, Cantwell

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Krul

Buendia, Pukki, Cantwell

I like the look of this as Ben and Tim are skilful in bringing the ball out and then we would have a commanding figure in the air in the middle. Possibly  a bit unfair to drop Hanley after his 'recent' performances but we could always utilise three out of those four centre halves to keep them fresh. 

One of the two central midfielders would certainly need to stay defensive. And we would get the best out of Emi and Todd in this shape. 

We reverted to something similar to this when chasing games last season and generally we clawed back a point from a losing position e.g. Bristol City away with Max as one of the wing backs scoring.  

Whatever formation we play we'll have to look at using all 16 available during the game as we'll be playing in warm/hot conditions and there's bound to be two games a week most weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Krul

Buendia, Pukki, Cantwell

I like the look of this, but I'd be tempted to replace Tettey with McClean. I know he's not a holding midfielder but I am just not convinced by Tettey's ability to keep hold of the ball (in a progressive manner) and with the extra defender, perhaps we could fit both Vrancic and McClean and do not need a midfielder whose only job is to protect and could accommodate a player who offers something going forward.

With Byram and Klose fit, and if we did change to 3 at the back..... 3-4-2-1

Any 3 of Hanley, Zimm, Klose, Byram

Aarons, Godfrey, McLean, Lewis

Cantwell, Buendia

Pukki.  

Plenty of flexibility and yes, yes yes, Godfrey as DM.... OTBC

Edited by ged in the onion bag

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Whatever formation we play we'll have to look at using all 16 available during the game as we'll be playing in warm/hot conditions and there's bound to be two games a week most weeks.

I think you need to remember we are in England...........right now we're due 3 months of cr*p weather.

Don't be surprised to see us playing in sleet storms around July time  🙂

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Who will the '2' up front be?....wouldnt bank on Drmic playing Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday for 5 consecutive weeks. .

Adam Idah is our next star in waiting.  Strong fast tall and knows how to score. Play him with Teemu

We’ve not had a plan B all season so I don’t think it would do us any harm trying this on our first match back vs Saints.

All their prep will be based on us playing the same way we have all season so this could blind side them a little.

If we can get a win there, then it’s really game on! 

I've really started to like 'three-at-the-back' systems over the last few years and I've felt that 3-4-3 / 3-4-2-1 would suit us very well several times this season, but the problem has been that we've rarely had three available centre backs.

The positives are:

- We've shipped a lot of goals. The extra man in defence should help this.

- Aarons and Lewis are very good offensively and could certainly contribute going forward as wing-backs, whilst having security behind them on the counter.

- Godfrey could step forward into a deep midfield position when we have the ball and maintain a midfield three.

- We could get away with a lighter central midfield pairing as there's extra muscle behind them.

- The wide attackers, Buendia and Cantwell I presume, would have less defensive responsibility and more freedom.

The main negative is that we'd lose our number ten, but considering this has been a problem position for us this season we wouldn't lose much, and it's compensated by the extra attacking freedom given to the wide attackers and wing backs, and also one of the midfield two who can push on as well. 

I think it's worth a shot now that everyone is fully fit, and we can send Duda back on June 30 and save on some wages!

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

With you all the way Wacky until the Duda comment. A bit harsh, he gives another option. I wouldn't write him off yet. 

3 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

With you all the way Wacky until the Duda comment. A bit harsh, he gives another option. I wouldn't write him off yet. 

It wasn't really meant to be anti-Duda, but if we adopted this system then he wouldn't be essential and we could save a couple of hundred grand on his wages. 

That said, he hasn't convinced me. The fact that none of Stiepermann, McLean or Duda have really shined in the hole is one reason for adopting the 3-4-3 and not using the position.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It wasn't really meant to be anti-Duda, but if we adopted this system then he wouldn't be essential and we could save a couple of hundred grand on his wages. 

That said, he hasn't convinced me. The fact that none of Stiepermann, McLean or Duda have really shined in the hole is one reason for adopting the 3-4-3 and not using the position.

Agreed, I was thinking something similar. However options & a bit of flexibility might win us a few points. Not forgetting the inevitable injuries and players unavailable. Duda may yet justify his wages.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Worst thing about Duda is his tattoos, they look awful

"are" - had to do it Fenway after your recent post! ✔😎

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

"are" - had to do it Fenway after your recent post! ✔😎

That’s a bit embarrassing 😁

For me the Achilles heel for us regardless of formation is not being able to control the middle of the park.

The effectiveness of our defensive midfield plays a vital role in our attacking fullbacks and diminutive attacking midfield. In the championship, Tettey and Trybull are enough; at this level we're too easily broken up and the better athletes at this level can pick us off.

3-5-2 could work, just like any formation might. Personally I would see us drop the out-and-out number 10 into a central midfield and be less ambitious with the fullbacks, and go from there.