Sign in to follow this  
0peteddMMyyyy0Falseen-USTrue

Is the signing of Earnshaw a panic measure

I feel the £2.75m signing of Robert Earnshaw is a move inspired by the Board panicking that next years season ticket sales will be adversely affected by our current malaise.

A cheaper alternative to lifting spirits would have been to show Worthy the door.

Earnie will be under enormous pressure to deliver the goods, and it seems to be unlikely our midfield can supply the ammunition.  This move also seems to be a panic move by Earnie which could dramatically backfire if he is not as prolofic as in previous seasons.  Earnie only started 4 games for WBA, probably not match fit so it will take time to show his best.

I really would have liked to see some young blood bought in to freshen up the squad. 

I don''t think so, I think it is a genuine attempt to replace Ashton with a proven goalscorer. I may be wrong but I see no reason to suggest anything more cynical was afoot.

i dont see this as a panic buy at all. to get earnshaw at basically less than half the amount of ashton''s fee is good. and as far as i know, 24 (i think) aint exactly old. he still isn''t near his peak, so we could see the best of him, if the circumstances are right.

[quote user="pete"]

I feel the £2.75m signing of Robert Earnshaw is a move inspired by the Board panicking that next years season ticket sales will be adversely affected by our current malaise.

A cheaper alternative to lifting spirits would have been to show Worthy the door.

Earnie will be under enormous pressure to deliver the goods, and it seems to be unlikely our midfield can supply the ammunition.  This move also seems to be a panic move by Earnie which could dramatically backfire if he is not as prolofic as in previous seasons.  Earnie only started 4 games for WBA, probably not match fit so it will take time to show his best.

I really would have liked to see some young blood bought in to freshen up the squad. 

[/quote]

I think the board needed to show some intent, how many fans are holding back on season tickets (I am, im even willing to wait and pay more later to make a point).

having said that he is a QUALITY aquisition, he has scored goals at every level - including international, and played correctly will score bucket loads for us.  He is an instinctive predator in the box. and a handful for defenders what more do we want??

[quote user="macdougall''s perm"]I don''t think so, I think it is a genuine attempt to replace Ashton with a proven goalscorer. I may be wrong but I see no reason to suggest anything more cynical was afoot.

I''m with you on this MP, they could have gone for a cheaper panic if they really wanted to.

No, they done good!.

Well although the signing is a good one, I certainly believe we have bought a good player who has proven that he score plenty of goals in this division. My real concern is recently we have been conceeding far too easily, in the last 2 home league games we have conceeded 3 goals very cheaply and we have not had a clean sheet since november excluding the very lucky win at leicester. I think it would have been far more comforting to bring a couple of defenders, bring back davenport, I think you can still make loan signings correct? Don''t get me wrong Earnshaw is a great signing and I think he''ll do well but personally I think the other two loan signings are the panic buys. I may be proven wrong (I certainly hope I am!) we shall have to wait and see, a big test for all the team this weekend.

Earnshaw has a proven record at this level and is only 24.   He is a good signing who will score goals as long as we create some chances;  however when we are playing even the long ball game so badly that Thorne cant get a ball what hope have we in getting passes to Earnshaw whos strength is his finishing and pace onto the through ball?

Right player but without the back up in the side to make him work truly effectively.

I suspect it was - either because of fear of the outside chance of relegation, or of finishing so low managerial reputation would be at risk, or for public relations - supporters need cheering (perhaps with renewal of season tickets coming up?)As far as team-building goes it does not make much sense. Unless something changes in the midfield Earnie, like Ashton before him, is in for a frustrating time, looking for balls on the ground to chase at high speed but finding the ball regularly arriving at or above head height and competing with burly central defenders. What I am saying is that the problem is as much in the midfield as anywhere else, and that''s where we have to build if we are ever to become a potent force.Perhaps we could manage with the midfield if we had a rejuvenated Huckerby, but we know from the promotion season that would mean conceding goals.

the board have now given worthy enough rope to hang himself with. Ladies and gentlemen i present to you the last throw of the dice.