Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City on Football Manager 20

7 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The free version from epic is the pc version. The pc version is also free on Xbox pc game pass. The phone version is £8.99 on the Android store or iOS store. You can also get FM touch for £19.99 on tablets or pc which is a slightly more basic version of football manager.

Does that mean I can play it on the Xbox then please?

Thank you for the help

Just in case anyone wants it, fm2020 is free on epic games until Thursday.

Sorry @hogesar didn't actually check if anyone had already posted it

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Thank you for the help

There isn't a version for the Xbox- just PC.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

There isn't a version for the Xbox- just PC.

No but if I download it off the Xbox, will it play on the Xbox or not? Even as the pc version?

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

No but if I download it off the Xbox, will it play on the Xbox or not? Even as the pc version?

No, because it isn't compatible with XBox. The PC version only works on a PC.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Personally I don't think no badges/playing experience is the 'honest way' but I try to stay realistic to the level I'm choosing to start at- ie if I'm managing Bishops Stortford I'm not giving myself a Pro License and International player experience. 

I just checked and I have my Continental Pro license and I was a professional footballer at National Level to manage Norwich - I presume that this is  default - I can't remember changing anything? I do change my attributes though - high motivation/ discipline etc + very low goalkeeping/ fitness. Again this is a zero sum game, so assumed that this is OK. 

17 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I’m impressed that you won the Premier League in the first season-we start FM18 in the Championship 🤣🤣🤣

It's because I've got an updated database which was downloaded from FM Scout.

Byram and Drmic come in on pre-arranged transfers just before the season starts, with Franke moving away. Fahrmann, Rhodes and Passlack are all there on loan as well.

Still got Naismith, Jarvis, Oliveira etc all away on season long loans.

Sadly it still needed updating further as they had players like Aarons, Lewis and Idah all with really weak potential ratings, and Maddison virtually at his peak with little room for improvement (even at Leicester I can't see him misrepresented!).

I also sacked 90% of the existing staff on day 1 including Riemer and Webber (I don't like working with a DoF in-game)!

3 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Thank you for the help

Afraid not. 

Football Manager 2020 is PC, Mac and Stadia only.

FM Touch is PC, Mac, and high end tablet or iPad

FM Mobile is Android or iPhone.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I just checked and I have my Continental Pro license and I was a professional footballer at National Level to manage Norwich - I presume that this is  default - I can't remember changing anything? I do change my attributes though - high motivation/ discipline etc + very low goalkeeping/ fitness. Again this is a zero sum game, so assumed that this is OK. 

There is the option base your qualifications and experience on the club you select.

I still prefer to use my 'real' level though.

I also got FM20 free with Epic this past week, have to say that I WAY prefer FM18 overall, especially the match engine.

There are absolutely some bits from FM20 I'd like to have in FM18, but in general I simply prefer the older version.

Will be uninstalling FM20 shortly and sticking with FM18, shame really.

13 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

It's because I've got an updated database which was downloaded from FM Scout.

Byram and Drmic come in on pre-arranged transfers just before the season starts, with Franke moving away. Fahrmann, Rhodes and Passlack are all there on loan as well.

Still got Naismith, Jarvis, Oliveira etc all away on season long loans.

Sadly it still needed updating further as they had players like Aarons, Lewis and Idah all with really weak potential ratings, and Maddison virtually at his peak with little room for improvement (even at Leicester I can't see him misrepresented!).

I also sacked 90% of the existing staff on day 1 including Riemer and Webber (I don't like working with a DoF in-game)!

Why not just download fm20 for free (currently can) instead of playing an old version of the game and messing around with updates? 

EDIT: can see you now have!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I also got FM20 free with Epic this past week, have to say that I WAY prefer FM18 overall, especially the match engine.

There are absolutely some bits from FM20 I'd like to have in FM18, but in general I simply prefer the older version.

Will be uninstalling FM20 shortly and sticking with FM18, shame really.

FM20 is far superior, I'd persevere if I were you. 

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

FM20 is far superior, I'd persevere if I were you. 

I loved 18, was the most played of recent versions for me.

20 is pretty good- everything outside of the match engine is excellent but there are a few flaws in the ME that drive me insane.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I loved 18, was the most played of recent versions for me.

20 is pretty good- everything outside of the match engine is excellent but there are a few flaws in the ME that drive me insane.

What flaws? Can’t say I’ve spotted any-maybe I don’t know what to look for!

23 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

What flaws? Can’t say I’ve spotted any-maybe I don’t know what to look for!

It is mainly about player decision making- players who shoot from impossible angles rather than square the ball, defenders randomly leaving their position to close down a player who is already being dealt with and pressing which is just players running full tilt at whoever has the ball.

All pretty minor and don't ruin the game but can be pretty frustrating.

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is mainly about player decision making- players who shoot from impossible angles rather than square the ball, defenders randomly leaving their position to close down a player who is already being dealt with and pressing which is just players running full tilt at whoever has the ball.

All pretty minor and don't ruin the game but can be pretty frustrating.

The lack of squaring the ball is so apparent because you get to see it happen 10 times a bloody game.

16 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The lack of squaring the ball is so apparent because you get to see it happen 10 times a bloody game.

Yeah that is the main thing that annoys me- you can create great opportunities but they get wasted by players refusing to square it to an unmarked striker.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh yes I have noticed that on the save I’m currently playing-I’m in the National League so I wouldn’t expect the decision making to be that great-can’t remember if it was that bad when I was playing as NCFC.

It's not just the match engine for me, it's a lot of little things that may simply need an adjustment period, but there's half a dozen things I now find much harder to actually find and access with the different layout, and I don't like the changes to the training system in the slightest.

Doesn't help that the Epic version currently has a number of bugs either.

Maybe I just need to persevere, but at the minute it simply feels like a chore rather than enjoying it like I do in FM18.

9 hours ago, king canary said:

It is mainly about player decision making- players who shoot from impossible angles rather than square the ball

So too many Nelson Oliviera's then basically?

18 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So too many Nelson Oliviera's then basically?

Ha, that was more of a distance than an angle issue.

Cheers @hogesar and @cornish sam for the heads up.

Downloaded this yesterday and have been refamiliarising myself with the game (very early doors). I appear to have already hindered the morale of nearly half the squad somewhat by saying 'if we do our best we can stay up' in my first squad meeting?? Hanley saying its too ambitious. Yeah probably is with you in defence you negative ****. Is that kind of response normal?

Anyone got any basic tips for working with Norwich to help a noob out? I've gone for the standard 4-2-3-1 (with DMs), controlling possession, and a 5-2-2-1 as my secondary formation.

Not sure what I can do with my measly transfer budget of £7.5m, maybe offload one of the centre mids and upgrade. Look at loan deals / bargains etc. A bit rubbish having so little to play with!

Haven't played FM for about 10 years, was really no good at it back then - used to create extra managers on top of my Norwich save so I could buy players such as Jon Otsemabor from Real Madrid for a world record fee. No different to a foreign billionaire investor right...?

29 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Downloaded this yesterday and have been refamiliarising myself with the game (very early doors). I appear to have already hindered the morale of nearly half the squad somewhat by saying 'if we do our best we can stay up' in my first squad meeting?? Hanley saying its too ambitious. Yeah probably is with you in defence you negative ****. Is that kind of response normal?

Anyone got any basic tips for working with Norwich to help a noob out? I've gone for the standard 4-2-3-1 (with DMs), controlling possession, and a 5-2-2-1 as my secondary formation.

Not sure what I can do with my measly transfer budget of £7.5m, maybe offload one of the centre mids and upgrade. Look at loan deals / bargains etc. A bit rubbish having so little to play with!

Haven't played FM for about 10 years, was really no good at it back then - used to create extra managers on top of my Norwich save so I could buy players such as Jon Otsemabor from Real Madrid for a world record fee. No different to a foreign billionaire investor right...?

Remember that your budget can just be a downpayment.

So you could do £7.5m + £10m spread over three years, and that will only take £7.5m from this years budget. 

Get yourself Dorsch or Meffert as a Tettey upgrade and then sell Tettey for a couple of million, both are cheap.

I always send the loanees back and try and ship Drmic off in January to give myself a budget boost. 

Chuba Akpom been a revelation for me at a few million as a pressing striker, scores a lot more than Pukki! 

A few seasons in and I'm going to be shopping for a higher level of player now,  looking at landing Greenwood or Reiss Nelson in the summer if I can keep this 6th position for the last 5 games. May even try and blow my whole budget on James Maddison.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Remember that your budget can just be a downpayment.

So you could do £7.5m + £10m spread over three years, and that will only take £7.5m from this years budget. 

Get yourself Dorsch or Meffert as a Tettey upgrade and then sell Tettey for a couple of million, both are cheap.

I always send the loanees back and try and ship Drmic off in January to give myself a budget boost. 

Chuba Akpom been a revelation for me at a few million as a pressing striker, scores a lot more than Pukki! 

A few seasons in and I'm going to be shopping for a higher level of player now,  looking at landing Greenwood or Reiss Nelson in the summer if I can keep this 6th position for the last 5 games. May even try and blow my whole budget on James Maddison.

Cheers TVB that's a good point - I hadn't considered that you could spread the payments out like this. Yes Drmic looks a strong candidate for the boot with those 50k/week wages.. I hope that isn't completely accurate..

Will have a check on those players too!

30 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Cheers TVB that's a good point - I hadn't considered that you could spread the payments out like this. Yes Drmic looks a strong candidate for the boot with those 50k/week wages.. I hope that isn't completely accurate..

Will have a check on those players too!

The big issue I found was the lack of homegrown players- I sold Leitner, Hanley and Tettey, spread out payments for any signings and found I did best with 4-3-3 DM using Vrancic in the deeper role, goals mostly coming from midfield as Pukki isn't great on FM.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

No worries. I can't remember my first Norwich season. I finished 14th, we got bought out and I got sacked. I don't remember making many signings but I do remember really struggling for the first 10 games and being under pressure. 

I currently play a 4-1-2-2-1 with a DLP, BBM and AP as the 3 central players. I took over Blackburn who were bottom after 10 games or so. I've not played much to be honest but we're comfortably out of the relegation zone now. Squad is hooooge and they have financial problems etc which I thought I might find a fun challenge.

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

No worries. I can't remember my first Norwich season. I finished 14th, we got bought out and I got sacked. I don't remember making many signings but I do remember really struggling for the first 10 games and being under pressure. 

I currently play a 4-1-2-2-1 with a DLP, BBM and AP as the 3 central players. I took over Blackburn who were bottom after 10 games or so. I've not played much to be honest but we're comfortably out of the relegation zone now. Squad is hooooge and they have financial problems etc which I thought I might find a fun challenge.

Hoping I don't suffer the same fate, want to stick with Norwich if I can!

Finding it quite overwhelming so far, the level of detail is just mind boggling. 

I'm not really enjoying the player searching / scouting facility. In the older versions I could search the database with much more fruition. I seem to have very little data on players outside of the obvious. I presume its been deliberately restricted somewhat with the information needing to be uncovered via the scouting assignments. I've put them on some tasks so hopefully will hear back. 

The best way I've identified players so far is just via the Stuart Webber's suggestions option... 

Do you guys bother with the training schedule, coaching and medical staff hiring and stuff like that, or just let the backroom staff take control?

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Hoping I don't suffer the same fate, want to stick with Norwich if I can!

Finding it quite overwhelming so far, the level of detail is just mind boggling. 

I'm not really enjoying the player searching / scouting facility. In the older versions I could search the database with much more fruition. I seem to have very little data on players outside of the obvious. I presume its been deliberately restricted somewhat with the information needing to be uncovered via the scouting assignments. I've put them on some tasks so hopefully will hear back. 

The best way I've identified players so far is just via the Stuart Webber's suggestions option... 

Do you guys bother with the training schedule, coaching and medical staff hiring and stuff like that, or just let the backroom staff take control?

I understand this, but I'm too hands-on to trust my staff with anything remotely important, other than my assistant to take charge of friendlies. I set up all the scouting, training, loans, staff contracts etc. myself, even down to the U18s. 

Last winter, around Christmas, I decided to go back to FM10 just for the simplicity. It was quite curious to play an FM game that was ten years old, but the ease and speed at which you could progress through the game was quite refreshing without all the extra features like agents, player promises, more complicated scouting and training etc. I think that is pretty much what the modern FM Touch is, although I've never actually played it.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man