Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City on Football Manager 20

Oh WOW.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

I forgot how much I hate this game.

So in the end finished 14th and the board fcking loved me.

Got a 48m transfer budget, signed some really, really good prospects.

Oh wait. Norwich are being taken over by a consortium.

Oh wait. Consortium want their own manager. Not Callum.

Callum is sacked.

FCK THIS GAME

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Oh WOW.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

Callum is sacked.

FCK THIS GAME

Oh man I hate that.

I finished 9th and there were two competing takeover bids- one who wanted their own manager, one who said they'd stick with me. Luckily the latter one won out.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh WOW.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

Callum is sacked.

FCK THIS GAME

I've had takeovers happen in the past, but I've never been sacked. It's usually a case of "we'd like to bring in our own man, but we're willing to give you chance" and if you do well in your next ten games or so, you're fine.

Did they sack you straight away?

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've had takeovers happen in the past, but I've never been sacked. It's usually a case of "we'd like to bring in our own man, but we're willing to give you chance" and if you do well in your next ten games or so, you're fine.

Did they sack you straight away?

I've not had this flow of events before in FM quite the same.

Like you and @king canary says, you normally have a oppportunity to stake your claim.

This time, the consortium took over very quickly, and media reported 'they want their own continental manager so kings position is in doubt'.

I had an instant transfer embargo and then a week later they took over, a week after that with no consultation they sacked me!

And they replaced me with Phillip Cocu who only had an 18% win at Derby last season!!

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I've not had this flow of events before in FM quite the same.

Like you and @king canary says, you normally have a oppportunity to stake your claim.

This time, the consortium took over very quickly, and media reported 'they want their own continental manager so kings position is in doubt'.

I had an instant transfer embargo and then a week later they took over, a week after that with no consultation they sacked me!

And they replaced me with Phillip Cocu who only had an 18% win at Derby last season!!

I'm guessing you started the honest/proper way with no coaching badges or playing experience? That would explain why you may not have been an attractive proposition. It takes several years to get a Pro licence and build a reputation.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm guessing you started the honest/proper way with no coaching badges or playing experience? That would explain why you may not have been an attractive proposition. It takes several years to get a Pro licence and build a reputation.

Correct. And now it's really hard to get a job elsewhere as I have no other experience than 1 season where I got sacked -.-

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Correct. And now it's really hard to get a job elsewhere as I have no other experience than 1 season where I got sacked -.-

It's always much more fun starting in the lower leagues and building up though. I never start a game in the top flight unless it's a really obscure country, and even then I'd prefer to start in the second tier. When I manage in one of the 'big five' countries, I usually start even lower.

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's always much more fun starting in the lower leagues and building up though. I never start a game in the top flight unless it's a really obscure country, and even then I'd prefer to start in the second tier. When I manage in one of the 'big five' countries, I usually start even lower.

Favourite save I had on FM18 saw me starting with Varberg Bois in the Swedish lower leagues then working my way into becoming a Premier League manager. Good fun.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Because of this thread I went out and got him- somehow signed him for £15m that could rise to £18m and he's frankly the absolute nuts. Signing in Jan, grabbed 13 goals in 22 games and already valued at £30m.

Anyone looking for a cheapish young striker option- take a look at Mohamed Daramy for Kobenhavn- got him or under £4m, broke into the first team aged 18 and grabbed 15 goals in 37 games (only 20 starts). Now valued at £25m. 

👍👍👍

I can't work out why his value hasn’t increased in my game though 🤔

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

👍👍👍

I can't work out why his value hasn’t increased in my game though 🤔

No idea.

Another thing I've learned is Red Bull Salzberg are full of young, high potential prospects. Just signed two players from there who look to be fantastic prospects.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Favourite save I had on FM18 saw me starting with Varberg Bois in the Swedish lower leagues then working my way into becoming a Premier League manager. Good fun.

I always prefer to stick with my lower league team and take them to the top. Over the past 15 years, I've won domestic top flights with Norwich, King's Lynn, RKC Waalwijk, Montrose, HK Kopavogs and others I've forgotten about by starting in the lower leagues, and I've won league and Champions League doubles with teams like Lecce, Pescara, Münster and Port Vale.

Next objective is Cambridge on FM20: last season I finished second in the Premier League and got to the Champions League semis.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I always prefer to stick with my lower league team and take them to the top. Over the past 15 years, I've won domestic top flights with Norwich, King's Lynn, RKC Waalwijk, Montrose, HK Kopavogs and others I've forgotten about by starting in the lower leagues, and I've league and Champions League doubles with teams like Lecce, Pescara, Münster and Port Vale.

Nice.

I've done that before (took Rotherham to the Champions League for example) but the 'journeyman' manager save can be a lot of fun.

The other thing I occasionally enjoy doing is starting a new save unemployed, letting it simulate for anywhere between 9 and 18 months then starting from there. It is fun to find out who's done well, who struggled, where the jobs are and sometimes you can put yourself into some different situations- like taking over a team in a relegation scrap with 10 games left or similar.

Also, a site called FMBase used to make a database where you could start with a team that has no players, a huge transfer budget and you built totally from scratch. 

Just now, king canary said:

Nice.

I've done that before (took Rotherham to the Champions League for example) but the 'journeyman' manager save can be a lot of fun.

The other thing I occasionally enjoy doing is starting a new save unemployed, letting it simulate for anywhere between 9 and 18 months then starting from there. It is fun to find out who's done well, who struggled, where the jobs are and sometimes you can put yourself into some different situations- like taking over a team in a relegation scrap with 10 games left or similar.

Also, a site called FMBase used to make a database where you could start with a team that has no players, a huge transfer budget and you built totally from scratch. 

I've never actually tried a journeyman save. It sounds appealing, but I'd find it hard to leave a club if I've already got them promoted.

I have also played a season unemployed before taking over a team, as it gives you more scope for building your own squad. I think you can build a team from scratch on the newer versions of FM with the create a club option, although I've never tried it.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Oh WOW.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

Callum is sacked.

FCK THIS GAME

I hate that too. There should be an option to turn that off. I appreciate they want to make it a simulation, but the joy of playing this game is in the long term success. 

• Like 1

My favourite FM save actually occurred on Championship Manager 01/02, where I took Stockport to the Prem after signing this brilliant young Brazillian kid called Paulinho from Arsenal's reserves for £30k and training him to be the League Two equivalent of Wes Hoolahan 🤣

On 08/06/2020 at 20:33, Mr Angry said:

Indeed. He scored 21 Premiership goals in the first season and has 22 this season with 4 games to go.

Bumping this thread and saying thanks to Mr Angry- in my 6th season a Mike Ashley owned Norwich have just won the league on goal difference with Espositio bagging 30+ goals for the second season in a row. What a player.

First signing on every save Adam Hlozek - £60k

I usually last around 4/5 seasons before getting bored and restarting.

I like to start at a Lge 1/2 club and work my way up the leagues with other clubs.

I tend to find two things make it a little tedious;

Its the same clubs who come in for you and the same players end up at the same teams, save after save.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Bumping this thread and saying thanks to Mr Angry- in my 6th season a Mike Ashley owned Norwich have just won the league on goal difference with Espositio bagging 30+ goals for the second season in a row. What a player.

Well, having been sacked by Norwich I ended up at Swindon who were 5 points adrift from safety in League Two. Kept them up fairly easily, no transfer or wage budget so was interesting next season but got promoted to league one and then up straight again via play-offs to the championship. Then I got a bit bored and Blackburn offered me a place in Jan as they were cut adrift at the bottom and I thought i'd give it a go because they had Vadis Odjija Ofoe playing for them haha. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

You’re welcome 🏆🏆🏆

2 hours ago, CDMullins said:

First signing on every save Adam Hlozek - £60k

I usually last around 4/5 seasons before getting bored and restarting.

I like to start at a Lge 1/2 club and work my way up the leagues with other clubs.

I tend to find two things make it a little tedious;

Its the same clubs who come in for you and the same players end up at the same teams, save after save.

Have you ever tried the Create a Club option? You decide what league you start in and replace an existing club with your own-you can choose the name, change the kit, change the location of the club-you get a budget depending on what league you choose. I chose the National League North  and filled my squad with African, South American and Eastern European players but there was a disparity between how much they cost and what they are now worth-I’ve almost secured promotion with 6 games to go and have only lost once on the league. There is no foreign player rule in the National League but I’ll probably have to replace a lot of players if I get up to League 2.

On 17/06/2020 at 15:24, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Next objective is Cambridge on FM20: last season I finished second in the Premier League and got to the Champions League semis.

I won the Premier League in my twelfth season, 2030/31!

I lost the desire to continue though, so I started a save in Ireland, with the aim of trying to raise the nation's coefficient and making a team European regulars, and maybe even reach the Champions League. I holidayed the 2020 season and took over at Waterford for the 2021 season; finished third in my first season but qualified for the group stages of the new Europa League II and I'm in With a real chance of progressing to the knockout stages.

Recently re-installed FM2018 and put the latest transfer update on, and somehow managed to win the PL, FA Cup, Carabao Cup and U18 title in the first season!

Notable signings included Johan Djourou on a free for experience at the heart of defence, Carel Eiting to provide competition in the midfield (and potential to improve), Predrag Rajkovic to take Krul's place long-term, Federico Ricca to help with the LWB position, and a bunch of promising younger players who may or may not turn out good (some looking fantastic so far).

I've moved on Tettey, Stiepermann, Klose, Franke, McLean, McGovern, Pinto, Wildschutt and Leitner, with Onel having just being sent on loan to Cardiff at the start of the 2nd season, and I'm desperately trying to get rid of the likes of Nelson, Jarvis and Naismith.

Start of season 2 is now upon me, and despite thinking I would try to run the club in the same way as IRL, I instead splashed most of the transfer budget to bring in Pinamonti from Inter at 22.5 mil, Josh Tymon from Stoke at 12.5 mil, Maolida from Nice for 7m (He chose me over Man City!) and rescued the one player I wish we'd never had to sell - Maddison is back from Leicester for a sturdy 33.5 mil!

Let's see how we stack up against the big boys in the Champions League!!!

For those who don't have it, FM2020 is now free forever via the Epic Games Store.

For those who don't know, Epic Games Store has ridiculously titles for free every month as it tries to become the go-to store ahead of steam.

• Thanks 2

On 08/08/2020 at 08:24, Indy_Bones said:

Recently re-installed FM2018 and put the latest transfer update on, and somehow managed to win the PL, FA Cup, Carabao Cup and U18 title in the first season!

Notable signings included Johan Djourou on a free for experience at the heart of defence, Carel Eiting to provide competition in the midfield (and potential to improve), Predrag Rajkovic to take Krul's place long-term, Federico Ricca to help with the LWB position, and a bunch of promising younger players who may or may not turn out good (some looking fantastic so far).

I've moved on Tettey, Stiepermann, Klose, Franke, McLean, McGovern, Pinto, Wildschutt and Leitner, with Onel having just being sent on loan to Cardiff at the start of the 2nd season, and I'm desperately trying to get rid of the likes of Nelson, Jarvis and Naismith.

Start of season 2 is now upon me, and despite thinking I would try to run the club in the same way as IRL, I instead splashed most of the transfer budget to bring in Pinamonti from Inter at 22.5 mil, Josh Tymon from Stoke at 12.5 mil, Maolida from Nice for 7m (He chose me over Man City!) and rescued the one player I wish we'd never had to sell - Maddison is back from Leicester for a sturdy 33.5 mil!

Let's see how we stack up against the big boys in the Champions League!!!

I’m impressed that you won the Premier League in the first season-we start FM18 in the Championship 🤣🤣🤣

7 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Can you download it for free on Xbox one or your phone or only pc?

The free version from epic is the pc version. The pc version is also free on Xbox pc game pass. The phone version is £8.99 on the Android store or iOS store. You can also get FM touch for £19.99 on tablets or pc which is a slightly more basic version of football manager.

On 17/06/2020 at 13:56, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm guessing you started the honest/proper way with no coaching badges or playing experience?

I've been playing (in its different guises) since the mid 1990s - it was on floppy disks in those days!

I have never played with no badges or playing experience though - you make me feel like a cheat 😩 I've generally tried to "play honest" but I've not heard of this option before.

How would you get a job if you ticked this option - who would want you?

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've been playing (in its different guises) since the mid 1990s - it was on floppy disks in those days!

I have never played with no badges or playing experience though - you make me feel like a cheat 😩 I've generally tried to "play honest" but I've not heard of this option before.

Personally I don't think no badges/playing experience is the 'honest way' but I try to stay realistic to the level I'm choosing to start at- ie if I'm managing Bishops Stortford I'm not giving myself a Pro License and International player experience. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

You can still select whichever club you want to start with, however if you have no coaching badges or playing experience then it will be much harder- the players will be more likely to react badly to team talks or private chats and the board will be less patient with you than if you were a 'big name'.

If you start unemployed, I guess the only clubs who'd offer you a job would be the very smallest teams at the bottom end of the lowest playable division.

Personally, I always start with the lowest playing experience (Sunday League footballer) but instead of going with no coaching badges, I generally give myself the lowest one, which is the National C Licence. It takes about five years or so to reach the UEFA Pro Licence.