Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City on Football Manager 20

Just now, Mr Angry said:

At the end of the first season on FM20 I bought an 18 year old striker from Inter Milan for £16.75 million. He finished second in the Golden Boot behind Aguero in his first season and is second behind Salah this season.
I checked him out on Wikipedia at the weekend and saw that he was born in the place as Fabio Quagliarella so I’ll try and keep him until he’s 37 🤣

Sebastiano Esposito?

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sebastiano Esposito?

Indeed. He scored 21 Premiership goals in the first season and has 22 this season with 4 games to go.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I haven't had him on FM but I know he goes on to be a world class player. £16m is a bargain!

Strangely his value hasn’t increased in the 2 seasons I’ve had him!

There’s an excellent little book about football manager with loads of funny stories. One I remember was a grown man who, when playing against Turkish opposition in the European cups, used to set fire to stuff in his bin so it would be smokey to simulate the atmosphere. Also putting a suit on and getting champagne for their fa cup final appearance. 

• Like 1

Concerningly for me, all this talk has resulted in me re-downloading it...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Indeed. He scored 21 Premiership goals in the first season and has 22 this season with 4 games to go.

Just started scouting him, reports are very promising. 

Esposito has variable potential. Some games he goes on to be the best striker in the game, others he's serviceable at champs league level but not that remarkable

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 17:27, TIL 1010 said:

Nothing to see here for Boomers so move along please. 😜😂

What's the point of posting to (effectively) say that you have no interest?! I wouldn't add a message to the "Cricket Off Until At Least July." to only make the statement that Cricket is the most boring sport on earth and has no interest to me what-so-ever (all true).

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 15:48, The Raptor said:

I've just finished my 6th season. Won the fa cup and finished  9th. 

Im also managing Ipswich in a game. By managing i mean selling anyone of any value and replacing them with frees. While trying to beat last seasons record for goals conceded. The board are under the impression that Keano Lambert 14 will lead them to Conference North Promotion. I have other ideas. A forth successive relegation is on the cards. 

Not just me then! My version of FM is 17 (I think) but Ipswich are currently in the Conference National thanks to my 'help'. I downloaded the extra leagues and took it a step further and have slowly progressed King's Lynn, Norwich United and Wroxham into League One, Championship and League Two respectively thanks to my donations, youth loans (and outright cheating) with the aim of making the Premier League have at least four Norfolk teams in.

In every version of FM I played, I always play as us, unless we are good / doing well / I like the manager. I don't have recent FM, but If I did, I know that I couldn't bring myself to take us over, as it would put Farke out of a job!

Emi knew... 

Of course even after saying he wasnt interested in them his agent tried to fleece me for a new contract as there was interest so i sold him anyway!

IMG_20200303_165302_118.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Emi knew... 

Of course even after saying he wasnt interested in them his agent tried to fleece me for a new contract as there was interest so i sold him anyway!

He forced his way out to Athletico Madrid after my first season 😭.

Got £42m for him though so not bad...

I'm starting to understand where some of the player valuations on here ( message board) originate.  😉

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

Emi knew... 

How much did they offer? Chinese clubs usually offer over the odds in terms of fees and wages, as per real life.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Concerningly for me, all this talk has resulted in me re-downloading it...

I've forgotten to eat tonight. Cheers guys

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cook during the first half simulation?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Tesco do some decently fancy versions of pot noodles, they only need a kettle and 5 minutes to make...

• Like 1

What formations are people using for Norwich? I never normally struggle on football manager but I've not played the last desktop version (2019) and I'm now in Februrary on my first season - im currently 16th but I've been pissing around with formations and styles all season and not been happy with any of them. I'm not getting the best from Buendia. 

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What formations are people using for Norwich? I never normally struggle on football manager but I've not played the last desktop version (2019) and I'm now in Februrary on my first season - im currently 16th but I've been pissing around with formations and styles all season and not been happy with any of them. I'm not getting the best from Buendia. 

Disclaimer- I haven't actually played as Norwich in the game.

But based off of guesswork I'd imagine we imitate real life in that our defence are only passable at best and the strength lies in possession around the opposition box (which is what I tend to gravitate to as I've never really gotten the hang of defensive management).

I'd probably say try 4-5-1 with generous freedom for the fullbacks to push on and create overloads. One centre midfielder with a defend duty and one mezzala, at least one of the wide attacking mids as inside forward. Maybe your central attacking mid as a shadow striker, higher tempo and slightly more direct passing.

You'll probably find you don't control the possession as much but generate more chances. Interested to hear others opinions as again, this is really just educated guesswork. At this rate I might get convinced to start a Norwich save myself...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Disclaimer- I haven't actually played as Norwich in the game.

But based off of guesswork I'd imagine we imitate real life in that our defence are only passable at best and the strength lies in possession around the opposition box (which is what I tend to gravitate to as I've never really gotten the hang of defensive management).

I'd probably say try 4-5-1 with generous freedom for the fullbacks to push on and create overloads. One centre midfielder with a defend duty and one mezzala, at least one of the wide attacking mids as inside forward. Maybe your central attacking mid as a shadow striker, higher tempo and slightly more direct passing.

You'll probably find you don't control the possession as much but generate more chances. Interested to hear others opinions as again, this is really just educated guesswork. At this rate I might get convinced to start a Norwich save myself...

Well I feel a little less stupid as all your suggestions pretty much encompass my initial formation, although was really a 4-2-3-1.

However with that formation I was conceding far too much. I've tried a back 5 (3) but couldn't stop this massive gap appearing in my final third on every single counter despite player instructions for midfielders to drop back there.

I'm now on a 4-2-2-2-1 and I've been really effective with setting up defensively against big teams and getting points. I've taken points from Liverpool, City, Chelsea and spurs so far but I'm yet to see how it fares against teams around me.

I'm also pretty much fully reliant upon Duda who has 6 goals and 5 assists in the first half of the season 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Something I always abide by on Football Manager is that I choose my formation at the start and then sign/use players that fit into it. I may tweak the roles and instructions if things aren't going well, but making major changes too often means that the players won't get used to it and results will suffer. Maybe the problem isn't that you haven't found a formation that works, but that you haven't used one long enough for the players to get full familiarity with it?

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm now on a 4-2-2-2-1 and I've been really effective with setting up defensively against big teams and getting points. I've taken points from Liverpool, City, Chelsea and spurs so far but I'm yet to see how it fares against teams around me.

Using a twelfth man probably works a treat 😉

I'm playing the 4-1-4-1 DM wide with the gegenpress presets mainly. Defence is actually solid- in my first season my problem was mainly goal scoring, top scorer was Cantwell with 8 goals.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well I feel a little less stupid as all your suggestions pretty much encompass my initial formation, although was really a 4-2-3-1.

However with that formation I was conceding far too much. I've tried a back 5 (3) but couldn't stop this massive gap appearing in my final third on every single counter despite player instructions for midfielders to drop back there.

I'm also pretty much fully reliant upon Duda who has 6 goals and 5 assists in the first half of the season 

Ah yes, I did mean more like a 4-2-3-1 (without players in the DM slots, if you understand me). If you find you're getting too easily countered on I would suggest having a rethink of player duties/ overall- I recently did a bit of reading and my performance has improved immeasurably now I have a better grasp on how player mentalities are affected by those things working together.

I've been tempted into starting up a little save as Norwich on my FM19. Dortmund will have to wait.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

A few things I'd say I've learned on this version...

1) Don't feel like you need a destroyer in your midfield- Vrancic was POTS in my first year, playing in the DM position with his role set to deep lying playmaker (defend). He just sat deep, pinging passes around and playing Aarons and Lewis in to space.

2) Despite not looking like he will, Duda works fine in the central midfield position rather than an attacking midfield position. I used him as a Mezzella (sp?) with Rupp as a box to box midfielder and it worked well. 

3) Fahrmann is a better keeper than Krul on the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Something I always abide by on Football Manager is that I choose my formation at the start and then sign/use players that fit into it. I may tweak the roles and instructions if things aren't going well, but making major changes too often means that the players won't get used to it and results will suffer. Maybe the problem isn't that you haven't found a formation that works, but that you haven't used one long enough for the players to get full familiarity with it?

Using a twelfth man probably works a treat 😉

4-1-2-2-1 is what I should have put 😂

Normally I'm pretty good at sticking to just a couple of tactics for familiarity but I was really struggling to see it working beyond concept. The only plus point I could take was we were in the top 4 for possession in the league. Problem was I'd have 70% of the ball and lose 3-0 to Newcastle. 

I'm going to stick with this formation a bit longer and find a balance in making it a bit more progressive and offensive against the teams in and around me.

The board seem to only expect me to give staying up a go in the first season and I'm fairly confident we will stay up and then hopefully I can spend some money.

Irritatingly I spent most of my initial budget on Cedric Itten and he has been absolutely dreadful.

On 08/06/2020 at 20:33, Mr Angry said:

Because of this thread I went out and got him- somehow signed him for £15m that could rise to £18m and he's frankly the absolute nuts. Signing in Jan, grabbed 13 goals in 22 games and already valued at £30m.

Anyone looking for a cheapish young striker option- take a look at Mohamed Daramy for Kobenhavn- got him or under £4m, broke into the first team aged 18 and grabbed 15 goals in 37 games (only 20 starts). Now valued at £25m.