Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City on Football Manager 20

1 hour ago, king canary said:

01/02 was great- you can download it legally for free now.

Exactly what I did - the Norwich squad is pretty dreadful and £5-6million in debt so first step is to transfer list the whole squad to raise some cash and pick up some bargains alongside some of the famous free transfers. Only Lllewellyn and Libbra played more than a few games for me and surprisingly Clint Easton was reasonably solid. Mulryne in particular and Gary Holt ok but also best assets to cash in so they didnt survive pre-season

19 minutes ago, Fifty said:

Exactly what I did - the Norwich squad is pretty dreadful and £5-6million in debt so first step is to transfer list the whole squad to raise some cash and pick up some bargains alongside some of the famous free transfers. Only Lllewellyn and Libbra played more than a few games for me and surprisingly Clint Easton was reasonably solid. Mulryne in particular and Gary Holt ok but also best assets to cash in so they didnt survive pre-season

Good idea that- I've never been able to do anything with that squad, not thought of selling the whole lot of them!

I finished 7th in my first season and only slipped out of the top 4 in the last 3 or 4 games. Went on to sell Aarons (Bournemouth), Godfrey & Buendia (Arsenal) for a combined £160m. Unfortunately I spent this money horrifically and lost my job after a terrible second season.

This is a complete long-shot and has no relation to Football Manager but just gaming in general.

You'd have to be my sort-of age to even know what i'm talking about but through lockdown has anyone found themselves back playing old-school Runescape? 

Or is it just me at that geek / nerd level...

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is a complete long-shot and has no relation to Football Manager but just gaming in general.

You'd have to be my sort-of age to even know what i'm talking about but through lockdown has anyone found themselves back playing old-school Runescape? 

Or is it just me at that geek / nerd level...

I loved RuneScape as a youngster. I keep seeing the version they have on phone app store and getting sorely tempted.

• Like 1

Thread tempted me to reinstall the game.

Pukki took until game 10 to score despite the team banging them in for fun. In the game he did score Trybull got 2 from range. Realism.

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I loved RuneScape as a youngster. I keep seeing the version they have on phone app store and getting sorely tempted.

One of my housemates at uni got proper addicted to Runescape and basically became nocturnal. Always put me off diving in.

After about 15 games I'm comfortably midtable, with one of the most solid defences in the league which took me surprise.

Byram has thrown a strop about not getting enough game time though which is annoying as he's clearly a backup on the game.

If I can sustain this sort of form I'll survive with no problem, just wonder what my second season budget will be.

14 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yeah, the version on the App Store is 'Old School Runescape' which is literally a copy of the version they had in 2007.

Basically, Runescape evolved into this World of Warcraft like thing with loads of micro-transactions etc, known as Runescape 3. I couldn't get into that and with Jagex (who made the game, and are based in Cambridge) panicking about lack of player-base they found an old copy of Runescape on an old server and started it up. It's pretty nostalgic - they add new content to it all the time but it has to be approved by the player base via a polling system, and the player base is literally people like me who played it as a youngster and have come back to it. 

It's ridiculously grind-intensive but fun too.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

One of my housemates at uni got proper addicted to Runescape and basically became nocturnal. Always put me off diving in.

Can't possibly comment on that. 🙄

2 hours ago, king canary said:

After about 15 games I'm comfortably midtable, with one of the most solid defences in the league which took me surprise.

Byram has thrown a strop about not getting enough game time though which is annoying as he's clearly a backup on the game.

If I can sustain this sort of form I'll survive with no problem, just wonder what my second season budget will be.

Does Byram get to play cup games? That generally speaking seems to be enough, that or a loan move if you can take the risk.

I haven't played as Norwich on this version, as I normally enjoy starting with a league 2 team to start. 

What I always find impressive with FM is how well they determine a clubs best players and the sort of careers they might have. Significantly better than FIFA. 

5 years down the line, Buendia has just joined Athletico Madrid after impressing for Lyon (which he joined after the canaries were relegated in 2021). He is absolutely unreal on my save. 

Aarons and Godfrey are playing for a Wolves team that consistently finishes top 6, while Lewis just moved to Man Utd from Newcastle. 

Cantwell hasn't faired as well, and was relegated with Fulham immediately after leaving Norwich on relegation. However, this was before the January update and I'm sure he got a hefty boost there. 

3 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I haven't played as Norwich on this version, as I normally enjoy starting with a league 2 team to start. 

What I always find impressive with FM is how well they determine a clubs best players and the sort of careers they might have. Significantly better than FIFA. 

5 years down the line, Buendia has just joined Athletico Madrid after impressing for Lyon (which he joined after the canaries were relegated in 2021). He is absolutely unreal on my save. 

Aarons and Godfrey are playing for a Wolves team that consistently finishes top 6, while Lewis just moved to Man Utd from Newcastle. 

Cantwell hasn't faired as well, and was relegated with Fulham immediately after leaving Norwich on relegation. However, this was before the January update and I'm sure he got a hefty boost there. 

I don't manage Norwich as a rule- the only time I will is if they naturally come in for me as part of the 'narrative' of a save. That's happened once, Jordan Rhodes and Benteke firing us to a Europa League cup (the final stuck in the memory down to a 21-20 penalty shootout win). Was gutted when that save corrupted!

8 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Yeah they've been good at predicting who can break through- Aarons was a potential superstar on there back in FM18. Think they missed Lewis though.

I had a Championship Manager phase with the (I think) 96/97 game. Cashed in on Victor Segura to get some funds, built a team, won the Premiership something like 15 or 20 times in a row, finally won the Champions League in 2026 or something, danced outside on the road in just the boxers and never played it, or anything like it since. I remember some great signings like Marc Warren from Leyton Orient, Woortman from Ajax and the likes, and players with great stats like Euclides de Castro from River Plate who never delivered. Long time ago now, and I do remember staying up all night playing it at least once! I can still see "Norwich City Win The Champions League" in my mind's eye, having dispatched PSG 4-2 after extra time. PSG having taken care of my bogey team Barcelona in the semis! Hmmm, some unfinished business perhaps with Barca......

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

I had a Championship Manager phase with the (I think) 96/97 game. Cashed in on Victor Segura to get some funds, built a team, won the Premiership something like 15 or 20 times in a row, finally won the Champions League in 2026 or something, danced outside on the road in just the boxers and never played it, or anything like it since. I remember some great signings like Marc Warren from Leyton Orient, Woortman from Ajax and the likes, and players with great stats like Euclides de Castro from River Plate who never delivered. Long time ago now, and I do remember staying up all night playing it at least once! I can still see "Norwich City Win The Champions League" in my mind's eye, having dispatched PSG 4-2 after extra time. PSG having taken care of my bogey team Barcelona in the semis! Hmmm, some unfinished business perhaps with Barca......

It is funny the affect games like this can have on how you view teams.

For instance I did a save on FM18 where I started at a random Swedish second division team (Varberg Bois) then got a job in the Danish Premier League (AAB) before returning to England. I now keep an eye out for both teams where possible to see how they're doing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

For instance I did a save on FM18 where I started at a random Swedish second division team (Varberg Bois) then got a job in the Danish Premier League (AAB) before returning to England. I now keep an eye out for both teams where possible to see how they're doing.

I have a really soft spot for Portsmouth after Delia and Co disgustingly sacked me on FM2013 for no good reason and I took it quite personally. Portsmouth offered me a job and I met Norwich a few seasons later in the Prem, where I beat them 3-1 at Carrow Road. I felt I needed to take some time out when I caught myself shouting "Yeah, f*ck you guys!" at the screen as if I was Paul Lambert or something.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Pretty much exactly the same, right down to Byram throwing a strop. I think the match engine really likes technical tactics systems/players this year.

My budget got increased to to £30m for January. Granted I only signed 1 for free in summer (Fran Rico), sold a bunch of squad players (Thompson, Hanley, Morris and Raggett made the best 12m),  I started the game world in March so I could recall loans and send Fahrmann and Duda home so my wage spend is really low.

Edited by KeiranShikari

I've just finished my 6th season. Won the fa cup and finished  9th. 

Im also managing Ipswich in a game. By managing i mean selling anyone of any value and replacing them with frees. While trying to beat last seasons record for goals conceded. The board are under the impression that Keano Lambert 14 will lead them to Conference North Promotion. I have other ideas. A forth successive relegation is on the cards. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I've got an obscure 'favourite team' in the lower leagues of nearly every country for this reason 😂

• Like 1

On my previous games the Murphy twins almost exclusively became top wingers in the PL, so I've just checked how they were getting on.

Josh remains a serviceable upper Champs winger into his 30's but never went any further. Jacob moved to Denmark in 2019 and stayed there forever. Funny how, at the time Jacob moved in real life, it felt like we'd sold the family silver.

22 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

On my previous games the Murphy twins almost exclusively became top wingers in the PL, so I've just checked how they were getting on.

Josh remains a serviceable upper Champs winger into his 30's but never went any further. Jacob moved to Denmark in 2019 and stayed there forever. Funny how, at the time Jacob moved in real life, it felt like we'd sold the family silver.

Josh became a top player on 18 but Jacob I could never get as much out of.

I also remember FM being very keen on Michee Efete for a while. 

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair on one of the FM's Kris Renton was pretty decent...

The interview with Miles Jacobson on the Quickly Kevin podcast is worth a listen. As is their interview with Jon Hare.

Ended up finishing 9th in my first season which I was pretty happy with.

Then we got bought by Mike Ashley who immediately signed two players for £100m that I hadn't asked for (good players though), so should be an interesting second season....

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

Then we got bought by Mike Ashley who immediately signed two players for £100m that I hadn't asked for (good players though), so should be an interesting second season...

What's Alan Pardew up to?

On 03/06/2020 at 15:57, king canary said:

Efete ended up at Roma on one of my games!

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Then we got bought by Mike Ashley who immediately signed two players for £100m that I hadn't asked for (good players though), so should be an interesting second season....

Although this does mean you're now obligated to wear Sports Direct branded clothing whenever you play...

• Like 1

At the end of the first season on FM20 I bought an 18 year old striker from Inter Milan for £16.75 million. He finished second in the Golden Boot behind Aguero in his first season and is second behind Salah this season.
I checked him out on Wikipedia at the weekend and saw that he was born in the place as Fabio Quagliarella so I’ll try and keep him until he’s 37 🤣