Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Norwich City on Football Manager 20

Due to lockdown I've had a bit of time to spend on this game and I'm really not having much joy. How have others done with Norwich?

The fullbacks are playing well but I'm struggling to get anything out of Cantwell, Buendia or Pukki right now!

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nothing to see here for Boomers so move along please. 😜😂

I guess another characteristic of boomers is there insistence to have their voice heard on everything, even if it is of no interest to them...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I played Cantwell as a support striker and Buendia as an advanced playmaker in central roles and got a lot out of them together. Never managed to get Pukki regularly scoring goals, in fact Idah took his place pretty quickly and I sold him to Brighton.  A good chunk of my goals actually came from Stieperman playing as a mezzala on the left hand side of a central midfield 3, heading in from Aarons crosses.

Lots of our other young players seem to develop well too this year too. Adshead, Mair, Bushiri and Fitzpatrick all good in my game.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I guess another characteristic of boomers is there insistence to have their voice heard on everything, even if it is of no interest to them...

You can guarantee if it involves pictures of young women dressed in not a lot, certain persons would be the first here, if not responsible for it.

I'm a huge FM fan and have been playing in rare moments of spare time. I'm on season 4, where having won the FA Cup and Europa League, am now challenging Liverpool for the title and making a good go of the Champions League. I'm loving developing youth players, combing the smaller European leagues for bargains. Picked up one or two I can thoroughly recommend. 

Matko Milijevic - Cost me £5.5m from Americas. Sold him for £95m to Man City.

Han Noah Massengo - Signed for £12m from Bristol City at start of season 2. Am just about to sell him to PSG for £60m - but in the meantime, he's been an absolute rock.

Adam Hlozek - Got him for £3.3m from one of the Prague sides. He bombs up and down the right wing for fun. Very young too. 

Old school Championship Manager 01/02 for me - in life imitating art (or something like that) I had Bayern Munich and Inter Milan in my first champions league group

I haven't managed Norwich, but I've taken Cambridge to the Champions League and kept a close eye on Norwich whilst doing so. I'm in 2029, and this is how our decent youngsters have panned out:

Buendia was sold to Milan, before moving on to Real Madrid and the Juventus. He's never been more than a bit-part player at any of them but it's an impressive CV nonetheless.

Aarons has established himself as regular at Everton over many years and has picked up a handful of England caps.

Godfrey has been a regular at West Ham in the Premier League for a while but has never been capped internationally.

Lewis and Cantwell both turned out as yo-yo players between the top two divisions.

So in conclusion, whilst not all FM saves are the same, Buendia is the one you really want to keep.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

^

Not entirely sure how it works but players have varying potential from save to save, so that might not be the case. In mine both Aarons and Godfrey went on to be top international players whilst Buendia ended up stagnating at europa league level Valencia.

Teaching player traits is an impoartant part of the game too. Get Idah taking first time shots and he'll bag loads more goals throughout his career than if you hadn't.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

^

Not entirely sure how it works but players have varying potential from save to save, so that might not be the case. In mine both Aarons and Godfrey went on to be top international players whilst Buendia ended up stagnating at europa league level Valencia.

Teaching player traits is an impoartant part of the game too. Get Idah taking first time shots and he'll bag loads more goals throughout his career than if you hadn't.

Players have a set PA at the start of the game, but obviously how the game world plays out is a big part of it. Obviously if a player gets signed by a team with top training facilities, top coaches and he plays regular football at the top level he's going to get close to his PA.

Buendia was signed by Milan after the first season so obviously his CA/PA is quite high.

As for player traits, my favourite one for strikers is 'moves into channels'.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Someone  on the other footy puter game thread said Angling was complex.... this game you speak of sounds very strange.  Is it computerised  top trumps? Do you have to live In  an urban environment  to play it cos I just wouldn't have the time  to, out here in the sticks... theres just too many real things to do.  It does sound fascinating though, maybe when I can no longer move my body  around is the time for me to start.  

25 minutes ago, Fifty said:

Old school Championship Manager 01/02 for me - in life imitating art (or something like that) I had Bayern Munich and Inter Milan in my first champions league group

By far the best manager game ever. I would love this to be released in exactly the same format and players as an app. So many outstanding players in that game that in real  life must have been crap as you never heard of them! 

12 minutes ago, JF said:

By far the best manager game ever. I would love this to be released in exactly the same format and players as an app. So many outstanding players in that game that in real  life must have been crap as you never heard of them! 

To Madeira wasn't even real, a Portuguese researcher just invented him 😉

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Someone  on the other footy puter game thread said Angling was complex.... this game you speak of sounds very strange.  Is it computerised  top trumps? Do you have to live In  an urban environment  to play it cos I just wouldn't have the time  to, out here in the sticks... theres just too many real things to do.  It does sound fascinating though, maybe when I can no longer move my body  around is the time for me to start.  

If you don't play it, it's all just spreadsheets and emails.

If you do play it, you no longer have a social life as it's more addictive than heroin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To Madeira wasn't even real, a Portuguese researcher just invented him 😉

If you don't play it, it's all just spreadsheets and emails.

If you do play it, you no longer have a social life as it's more addictive than heroin.

In that case  I'll give it a miss, I am already addicted to real footy, Angling and in strange way, this  Forum. I just dont have room  in my life  for another preoccupation.  Sounds like good fun for a wet winters evening though. Gotta be preferable to watching much of what's on TV. 

• Like 1

Players potential is also more of a range than a set figure which means how well they develop save to save is unique.

I'm still on FM19 and from memory Cantwell ended up a decent if unspectacular PL attacker. Godfrey didn't push on and became an alright upper Champ player, Lewis moved early and got a steady upper-mid gig at Burnley, and Aarons bobbed between the top two tiers but never nailed down a spot for long. Even for my swashbuckling but limited QPR side, he just didn't have an answer for tall strikers.

Buendia pops up every now and then in a champions league squad but again never really a solid starter. Daniel Farke pretty much disappeared after failing to keep us up but if I recall correctly I saw a news flash recently that said he got a Bundesliga II post in 2027. 

Buendia is at Bayern in mine and was just voted player of the season... He is unreal in the game! Managing Hamburg at the minute, had Godfrey and Aarons who were both solid for me before I flipped them for profit. Aarons is one of the best right backs in the game.

Makes you wonder if we were just a couple of £10m signings away from having a really successful season in real life. None of our centre mids are up to much in the game. Sitti, Idah and Bushiri all develop well though.

19 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Daniel Farke pretty much disappeared after failing to keep us up but if I recall correctly I saw a news flash recently that said he got a Bundesliga II post in 2027. 

On FM20, Farke was sacked by Norwich when they were mid-table in the Championship in 2023 after a bit of yo-yoing, and I managed to sign him for my newly-promoted Premier League Cambridge as a coach! He only lasted about six months though before taking a managerial position in the Bundesliga II. 

Norwich meanwhile were promoted in 2025, relegated in 2026, promoted in 2027, relegated in 2028 and promoted in 2029. They've had a decent start to the 2029-30 season though so this could finally be the year they stay up.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Is there where i tell you to lighten up kc or is it just me who is easy to wind up ? 😜

Edited by TIL 1010

Crikey haven't played FM for yonks, probably 20 years! Is the matchplay as ropey as ever, or has it improved? I used to get bored with training and tactics but I found it very addictive for 2 or 3 years.

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You can guarantee if it involves pictures of young women dressed in not a lot, certain persons would be the first here, if not responsible for it.

I'm a huge FM fan and have been playing in rare moments of spare time. I'm on season 4, where having won the FA Cup and Europa League, am now challenging Liverpool for the title and making a good go of the Champions League. I'm loving developing youth players, combing the smaller European leagues for bargains. Picked up one or two I can thoroughly recommend. 

Matko Milijevic - Cost me £5.5m from Americas. Sold him for £95m to Man City.

Han Noah Massengo - Signed for £12m from Bristol City at start of season 2. Am just about to sell him to PSG for £60m - but in the meantime, he's been an absolute rock.

Adam Hlozek - Got him for £3.3m from one of the Prague sides. He bombs up and down the right wing for fun. Very young too. 

Thanks.

My first window I signed Jannick Harberer from Freiberg and John Soutter from Hearts, both decent additions so far.

Suddenly just hammered Southampton 4-0, hopefully it might kick start a run of form.

I bought FM 2020 but not had time to actually play it. I've played the mobile version but its incredibly simplistic in comparison so not really comparable! 

59 minutes ago, king canary said:

Thanks.

My first window I signed Jannick Harberer from Freiberg and John Soutter from Hearts, both decent additions so far.

Suddenly just hammered Southampton 4-0, hopefully it might kick start a run of form.

Mate of mine raves about Soutter. Calls him the Scottish Van Dijk! How is Harberer doing? I nearly signed him on my save but went on to sign Rhian Brewster on loan instead.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I haven't managed Norwich, but I've taken Cambridge to the Champions League and kept a close eye on Norwich whilst doing so. 

How the hell do you get Cambridge into the champions league?

I rarely play, but when I do I usually end up sacked and/or relegated...then I give up

I could get Liverpool relegated 😀

15 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

How the hell do you get Cambridge into the champions league?

I rarely play, but when I do I usually end up sacked and/or relegated...then I give up

I could get Liverpool relegated 😀

You get promoted three times, adapt to the Premier League, and then after a few seasons of progression you're there. Next step is to win either the Premier League or Champions League, which is easier said than done.

Aarons, Godfrey, Tod, Lewis, Emi stuck with me long term. Sold Emi for £45mi in the end. Played hard ball with rest. But bought Emi back on loan a year or two later. (He was a fan fave) Idah, Tod, and Burishi I made some money on. £19, £25 and £34 mil I think. Rest still with me when I managed to kick the habit.

Wish I hadn’t spoken about this. The urge to reengage with the game is looming...

Edited by Decemberists
  • Like 1

I'm in 21/22 season. Had my takeover completed last year as Delia sold up. Lots of wheeling and dealing done. Finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league. Winning the Champions League last season. Aarons, Buendia and Godfrey are briliant for me. Most important players i've bought are Haaland, Rashford and the start of this season I've just signed Van Dijk on loan, Werner and Chilwell permanently. 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Thanks.

Hopefully you've found the key- if not maybe post a screenshot of your setup and the Pinkun England Managers Guild might be able to suggest something?

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Mate of mine raves about Soutter. Calls him the Scottish Van Dijk! How is Harberer doing? I nearly signed him on my save but went on to sign Rhian Brewster on loan instead.

Soutter has been a really solid addition.

Harberer has been ok- 2 goals so far but his all round play offers more than Pukki, who either scores or gets 6.3 or less.

15 hours ago, Fifty said:

01/02 was great- you can download it legally for free now.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

01/02 was great- you can download it legally for free now.

Along with an update that includes all 2019/20 teams...