Van wink

FA Cup set to return

If the FA Cup Final happens and no-one is able to see it does it mean it didn't happen?

Will we have to forego having a star on our shirt?

Would the trophy be prohibited from our year of being the winners?

Would be become the most (in)famous winners?

This whole sorry episode of playing behind closed doors is possibly even more tragic when it comes to the FA Cup.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Wonder if the semi final and final will be at Wembley, that would be Erie.

If they were played at the Aviva ,Dublin, that'd be Eire.

• Haha 3

Whilst I'm a generally a 'glass half full' type of supporter, before the lockdown I couldn't see any chance of us getting a win against Man utd in the cup. They have thoroughly beaten us twice this season and in my opinion probably one of the most difficult opponents for us at this point.

I did wonder if the no fans scenario may help us however, I can't see it.

Now be typical of Norwich City to win this and eventually get to another FA cup semi final in decades, and I miss it.

Still, I'd rather win it with no supporters present, than not. 

• Like 1

If we win it this year it will still be on the record as a win and I suspect the achievement won't be lessened by it being behind closed doors, if that is how it has to be.  

The day out to Wembley would be amazing, but for me, I don't think it would be better than the play off final 2015 at Wembley, which would be hard to surpass.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If we win it this year it will still be on the record as a win and I suspect the achievement won't be lessened by it being behind closed doors, if that is how it has to be.  

The day out to Wembley would be amazing, but for me, I don't think it would be better than the play off final 2015 at Wembley, which would be hard to surpass.

The playoff final is the least corporate of the big games held at Wembley... maybe the league cup  , but that stadium , half green and yellow, half red and white   , was something to behold. My experience that day was of course influenced by the fact we totally outplayed boro and never looked in danger of losing. 

• Like 1

FA Cup final scheduled for August 1st? So when does next season start then? Week after? 

The Players are held on short term contracts ? What about the transfer windows across Europe ? 

I've lost the plot here.  This is bonkers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

FA Cup final scheduled for August 1st? So when does next season start then? Week after? 

The Players are held on short term contracts ? What about the transfer windows across Europe ? 

I've lost the plot here.  This is bonkers. 

Spot on. At this rate we're going to be finishing this season so late, next season is going to start in December....

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

This whole sorry episode of playing behind closed doors is possibly even more tragic when it comes to the FA Cup.

But unavoidable if the vulnerable are to be kept alive

No one wants this, but apart from a few loonies on here nobody else wants UK football to collapse, as the inability for payments to be made to non PL clubs would cause that

And as far as I am concerned we have nothing to lose, we were not expected to win the original game so let's just enjoy it and know that we still have a chan

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

update

The FA Cup is also set to be completed, with the

• quarter-finals planned for the final weekend of June
  • the semi-finals across the weekend of July 18-19
  • the final on Saturday August 1

Leicester City vs Chelsea

Newcastle United vs Manchester City

Sheffield United vs Arsenal

Norwich City vs Manchester United

odd how the ' big four' were all drawn away - and no doubt the TV companies would want a dream semi finals of the two London clubs playing each other, as with the two Manchester clubs

whereas the two newly promoted clubs in the final would be far better 😍

With no spectators allowed, it kind of negates the need for neutral semi finals.

And I wonder if the pitch can stand being used from June until next May? 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

But unavoidable if the vulnerable are to be kept alive

No one wants this, but apart from a few loonies on here nobody else wants UK football to collapse, as the inability for payments to be made to non PL clubs would cause that

UK Football will collapse if this season doesn’t restart.

I’ll wait for the factual reasoning behind that , including practical financial analysis on how many clubs in the lower leagues that will DEFINITELY “Collapse” directly as a result of the Premier League season not restarting , and exactly how the money filters (or in this case DEFINITELY will not filter) down to these clubs .  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

With no spectators allowed, it kind of negates the need for neutral semi finals.

And I wonder if the pitch can stand being used from June until next May? 

Tbf it ( the pitch)has had best part of 3 months off at prime growth  period plus Technology has pretty much negated pitch condition  concerns.  If they need an extended growth period , theyll use lights and nutrient to stimulate  it.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Man Utd will be tough. Anyone who has anything to play for in the league needs to be out the blocks pretty damn quick, just in case the season can't complete and reverts to PPG. Man Utd are chasing a CL place and will treat the cup tie to get up to speed.

We'll need to do likewise. I think it's even an advantage to have this extra match to sharpen match fitness for the more important league games.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Life goes on and so does football. I doubt many will not be watching or listening come the 17th.

Wouldn't be so sure about that - if you think that is 'football' then fair enough, fill your your boots.

Not sure yet what I'll be doing on the 17th but I am certain that it won't include spending a couple of hours watching that charade, or any of the other sh!tshows that are going to follow in rapid succession.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

The playoff final is the least corporate of the big games held at Wembley... maybe the league cup  , but that stadium , half green and yellow, half red and white   , was something to behold. My experience that day was of course influenced by the fact we totally outplayed boro and never looked in danger of losing. 

Agreed - the starkness of the red and white and the yellow and green in the stadium looked fantastic - and it was an amazing thing to see us dominate a match so much at Wembley - the three league cup finals and the play off final in Cardiff were brilliant occasions and even though we won the cup in 85, they were not great footballing wise.  In 2015 we owned it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agreed - the starkness of the red and white and the yellow and green in the stadium looked fantastic - and it was an amazing thing to see us dominate a match so much at Wembley - the three league cup finals and the play off final in Cardiff were brilliant occasions and even though we won the cup in 85, they were not great footballing wise.  In 2015 we owned it.

It was amazing LDC, after our results against them in the previous games and then to wipe them out in the first half, it was beautiful. One of those days where we were destined to win, made up for the misery of Cardiff.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Wouldn't be so sure about that - if you think that is 'football' then fair enough, fill your your boots.

Not sure yet what I'll be doing on the 17th but I am certain that it won't include spending a couple of hours watching that charade, or any of the other sh!tshows that are going to follow in rapid succession.

Absolutely 100% with you on this CM.

• Like 1

Admirable though your stance is on not watching and your reasoning I know for certain that after 3 months of not seeing my team, I won't be able to stop myself watching when we kick off. It's programmed in I think, crowd or no crowd. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Admirable though your stance is on not watching and your reasoning I know for certain that after 3 months of not seeing my team, I won't be able to stop myself watching when we kick off. It's programmed in I think, crowd or no crowd. 

I can certainly understand why some people will feel that way but I'll be very interested to hear afterwards whether you found it is any sort of substitute for the real thing or not.

On 29/05/2020 at 10:24, Well b back said:

Wonder if the semi final and final will be at Wembley, that would be Erie.

According to the BBC sports website intention is to play both the Semis and the Final at Wembley.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

12 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I can certainly understand why some people will feel that way but I'll be very interested to hear afterwards whether you found it is any sort of substitute for the real thing or not.

I really doubt it will be any substitute. Yet I'm finding day by day as it gets nearer my anticipation grows. It may possibly be about technical skills being more important, less crowd expectation obviously. 

This is my 3rd season as a supporter so have never experienced the jubilation of being  at  Wembley supporting the lads. I am pleased i at least saw us win the Championship last season but it would be sods law if we get to Wembley and i never get to experience it. 

I'm surprised the QFs and SFs haven't been scheduled for a midweek in an attempt to make sure game weeks in the Premium League are all complete without games in hand, should there be a need to curtail things.