Mr Angry

Premier League restarting

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Have I missed something or is it one rule for professional footballers and one rule for us ? If I come into contact with a positive I will be contacted by test and trace and made to self isolate. Yet another footballer tests positive and no mention of anyone lease having to isolate.

Tottenham have had one positive coronavirus result in the latest round of testing by the Premier League, the club say.

That person will now self-isolate for seven days.

"Due to medical confidentiality, the individual's name will not be disclosed," Spurs said in a statement on their website.

This was the only positive result after 1,197 players and staff were checked in the latest round of testing.

There have now been five rounds of testing for Covid-19, and the total of positive results has increased to 13 from 5,079 tests.

Premier League players and staff are currently tested twice a week, with the league set to resume on 17 June.

You'd be right.

Although because apparently footballers are being tested regularly they are ok to carry on as normal?!?

It becomes more of a farce day by day, and I don't just mean football 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

I have asked so many people the same question Rich and everyone has said the same thing. How is testing making any difference? We are led to believe that once you have the positive result, test and track, the "world leading" system, will contact you and find out who you have been in contact with for 15 minutes or more. Then its 7 days for you and 14 for the rest.

And we believed the world was going to change.

• Like 1

The Mail has an interestiung line from today's EPL meeting:

Premier League clubs have again failed to agree on what to do in the event of the season being called off, after a vote on the matter was postponed.

As it stands, there is no decision in place on how standings or even relegation would be determined should the 2019-20 season have to be abandoned. 

Clubs have agreed the matter should now be moved off the table, unless a second shutdown prompts them to revisit it. 

It is thought that the decision to skip the vote was made to help avoid hightening tensions between clubs, with there being no concensus [sic] on how the final standings should be decided.  

Edited by PurpleCanary

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Without wanting to be an 'idiot' it is about saving clubs from collapsing at this point.

I agree the money in football is obscene but it hasn't led to largely profitable clubs with cash reserves to see them through tough times. So no restart in the top 2 divisions would likely lead to several clubs experiencing severe financial difficulties (including us).

You are clearly a good guy k c and I enjoy reading your posts. I do however immediately bale on these discussions when the argument changes because there is nothing more dull than continual repetition . Some clubs “Experiencing difficulties” and Football Collapsing are completely different . Not one team in the Prem will cease to exist and neither will the vast majority of clubs in the Championship , if this season doesn’t restart . In the lower leagues  any clubs going to the wall will either be replaced , or will emerge from the ashes will a new package of financial backers.

Saving lives or rather not putting lives at unnecessary risk , is my argument . The whole of UK Football WILL NOT COLLAPSE if the season doesn’t restart. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

11 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

You'd be right.

Although because apparently footballers are being tested regularly they are ok to carry on as normal?!?

It becomes more of a farce day by day, and I don't just mean football 🤦‍♂️

Lol farce is spot on.

Maybe what we are missing is a test is the new vaccine and if you have a negative test you can’t catch it lol.

To think these football tests are contributing to the daily number taken, and carers, care home and hospice residents are still struggling to get a test, shambles or farce I tend to think it scandalous.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lol farce is spot on.

Maybe what we are missing is a test is the new vaccine and if you have a negative test you can’t catch it lol.

To think these football tests are contributing to the daily number taken, and carers, care home and hospice residents are still struggling to get a test, shambles or farce I tend to think it scandalous.

Yep, bollix to tv controlling football, the single most significant move that players can make right now is to refuse to be tested and donate those same tests back, directly  if possible  to those that really  need them.  Would happily  take relegation if it meant some real action by Football  inc.

• Like 2

To be fair it's not just football, racing and snooker are now back so they must be testing on a large scale everyday. 

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

To be fair it's not just football, racing and snooker are now back so they must be testing on a large scale everyday. 

...all for the morale of the nation...

15 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You are clearly a good guy k c and I enjoy reading your posts. I do however immediately bale on these discussions when the argument changes because there is nothing more dull than continual repetition . Some clubs “Experiencing difficulties” and Football Collapsing are completely different . Not one team in the Prem will cease to exist and neither will the vast majority of clubs in the Championship , if this season doesn’t restart . In the lower leagues  any clubs going to the wall will either be replaced , or will emerge from the ashes will a new package of financial backers.

Saving lives or rather not putting lives at unnecessary risk , is my argument . The whole of UK Football WILL NOT COLLAPSE if the season doesn’t restart. 

Fair enough, I simply don't share your confidence.

If we shut down football until we're back to a state where it can resume as it was before- ie fans in the stadium- we're basically leaving football clubs with no income for several months, while still being liable for sizable wage budget. It won't take long for that to catch up with clubs, especially those in the Championship who already have precarious finances.

I might be naive but I think with all the testing and measures that are in place, players aren't having their lives put at any major risk.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

I might be naive but I think with all the testing and measures that are in place, players aren't having their lives put at any major risk.

Maybe so Kaceyo, but my take is that the tests and measures should be used for saving ordinary peoples  lives , not making sure already fit and healthy  sportsmen  can provide entertainment for the ordinary people. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, bollix to tv controlling football, the single most significant move that players can make right now is to refuse to be tested and donate those same tests back, directly  if possible  to those that really  need them.  Would happily  take relegation if it meant some real action by Football  inc.

The players could have said right back in March that they think any thought of football is wrong and they will not countenance it; if they had done that, and all agreed to be furloughed for the duration, then there would have been no problem for the football world.

Even now, they could go on furlough and say they won't play.  That, along with refusing the spare tests, would be a big statement.

On the other hand, saying we won't play put give us our pay anyway - not much of a statement IMO.  If footballers want paying, they need to play; if they don't want paying, they don't need to play; but if no money comes in to football, it's hard to see how any money can go out of football.

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Even now, they could go on furlough and say they won't play. 

i cannot think of many Premier League footballers on a maximum of £2,500 a month.

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

i cannot think of many Premier League footballers on a maximum of £2,500 a month.

Anyone can go on furlough; there is no limit to what your salary way.  You can go on furlough if your salary is normally £1m per month.  

Footballers have the choice.  Play and get paid, or don't play and don't get paid.  But if they want to keep taking money out of the pot, they have to ensure that money goes into the pot.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

Anyone can go on furlough; there is no limit to what your salary way.  You can go on furlough if your salary is normally £1m per month.  

Footballers have the choice.  Play and get paid, or don't play and don't get paid.  But if they want to keep taking money out of the pot, they have to ensure that money goes into the pot.

The employer can only claim for a maximum of up to £2,500 per month for each employee per month.. Look it up.

Edited by TIL 1010

5 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Its not a precedent because the FA have now taken two directly contradictory decisions in respect of the women's game and the non league pyramids. What is clearly is, however, is a decision clearly taken with a view to trying to insist that the same applies in the EFL and the EPL or more accurately not undermine Parry's attempts to force the same system on those divisions as well. And a decision taken knowing that Liverpool won't kick off and challenge it because that would put at risk them winning the prem on PPG if that gets curtailed.

Stinks to be honest. I would love to know how the "majority" on the FA Board who voted for it breaks down. I have my suspicions as to who is driving it and why.

In the non league PPG isn't "sporting merit" according to the FA and now apparently it is!

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

The employer can only claim for a maximum of up to £2,500 per month for each employee per month.. Look it up.

Yeah, so put on furlough our players would just get the 2.5k per month if we didnt top them up. That's what he is suggesting they could do.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, so put on furlough our players would just get the 2.5k per month if we didnt top them up. That's what he is suggesting they could do.

I worded it badly but i thought he was suggesting furlough them and the Govt would pay 80%.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I worded it badly but i thought he was suggesting furlough them and the Govt would pay 80%.

Possibly, I was giving him benefit of doubt lol.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Pretty much, yes.  Just as any other employee who has work to be done but is unable or unwilling for whatever reason to do it,. can have £2,500 per month instead of working.  

Footballers may be entitled to lots more money than, say, scaffolders when they are working because a footballer's skills are rarer and more profitable.  But a footballer sitting at home isn't worth more than a scaffolder sitting at home.

Edited by dsr-burnley

18 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Saying the clubs will get fined if crowds turn up outside  grounds. 

I'd like to see under what authority they could take that action. A "failure to control" fine must only apply to where you have a measure of control - like fans inside your stadium or the actions of your team.

I think it is outrageous that professional footballers should be allowed to ignore social distancing rules and be given what seems to be an endless supply of test kits while ordinary people, desperate to get back to work to earn a few quid to keep their heads above water (e.g. my daughter, who is a hairdresser), are prevented from doing so. I can’t help feeling that much of this is driven by the Liverpool loving media. Just give them the title if you want them to have it that bad but don’t endanger people’s lives to do so. If you agree please feel free to sign the attached petition and feel free to share the life out of it on social media. Thanks. Patrick. http://chng.it/yqzm79pd

EFL have forced through their PPG will full promotion/relegation proposal, which is not a huge surprise given the way they set it up so enough clubs would vote for it out of self interest. I hope they get taken to court by those clubs harmed by this.