Mr Angry

Premier League restarting

26 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

One of the biggest problems Leeds have had over the last three seasons is a lack of a clinical striker, there is talk of making a bid for Pukki should they go up and Norwich come down but I'm not sure he's the answer. I thought he'd do okay in the PL but he seemed to struggle after a promising start, Leeds do create plenty of chances so maybe he would thrive. 

Leeds create lots of chances in the championship as did we, teams don't create anywhere near as many in the PL and have to take the ones they do create.

32 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

One of the biggest problems Leeds have had over the last three seasons is a lack of a clinical striker, there is talk of making a bid for Pukki should they go up and Norwich come down but I'm not sure he's the answer. I thought he'd do okay in the PL but he seemed to struggle after a promising start, Leeds do create plenty of chances so maybe he would thrive. 

Pukki is considerably better than anything Leeds have at the moment, but I don't think he'd push for a move to somewhere like Leeds anyway.

We created plenty of chances in the championship (look how many goals we scored last season) but it's different in the prem. Hopefully they come crashing back down after one season where they didn't even get to attend a premier league match as fans.

22 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

Put Thursday in your diary folks although if Germany is anything to go by the odds are heavily stacked on the season here being completed. 

BUT Germany is a far safer environment. They are down to near single figure deaths - yesterday there were just 13 recorded. They are on top of the virus in a way which we are not. 

I don't totally trust anyone's statistics, but Germany is definitely in control of the virus and as anyone who knows them will know, they are an agonisingly methodical nation.

It's reckless to allow footballers to associate at the moment, let alone play.

If 'posh' sports like hockey and Rugby Union were doing it, with their ranks of doctors and surgeons, we would know it is safe. But they are not. They know it's too risky.

Although of course if there was the same amount of money at stake with these posh sports as there is with football it might be a different story. 

I doubt many clubs will be spending big this summer with the uncertainty around. There is no guarantee if this season will finish or when next may start.

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

I doubt many clubs will be spending big this summer with the uncertainty around. There is no guarantee if this season will finish or when next may start.

Agreed. I read something about Pogba probably now having to stay at Man U for another season as even super clubs will be thinking twice about taking on his huge salary at this point.

5 hours ago, duke63 said:

I think this will impact on Leeds and whoever else gets promoted - they won't have the money to spend  and their squad at the moment is not good enough to survive in the EPL. Conversely it might mean we keep hold of everyone and have a decent chance in the Champs again.

This all assumes that the Champs completes its season this year - if they don't play it out I can't see the EPL agreeing to relegation/promotion.

The rules are fascinating - the FA has a veto, but can only exercise it if a vote is declared. The EPL don't need to invite any of the Championship sides to join them - if they just don't invite them, there is no vote and the FA's veto is irrelevant.

If Leeds do go up there is going to be a huge investment from Qatar, specifically from the same company that owns PSG.

On 01/06/2020 at 12:25, Jim Smith said:

If they can get agreement on it. What is interesting is what happens if they can't. Do they insist on it before re-starting or just fudge it and hope it becomes irrelevant as they complete?

The latter, I should think.

As it stands, the rules say 3 teams will be relegated.  To change that rule needs 14 teams to vote in favour AND for the FA to agree it.  so that rule won't be changed this week, for certain.

What this proposal is about is to determine how the relegated three will be chosen IF we don't complete.  If this doesn't get passed, it just pushes the decision down the line - if there is a corona resurgence and the season gets ended again, the rule will still be to relegate three but they will have to decide at that stage which three.

they could vote not to have relegation at all, which is unlikely because of the FA.  They could vote to extend the league to 23 clubs, which is very unlikely because it means 6 extra matches in an already shortened season and it means 15% less cash for each club.  Or they could vote to send down three clubs; the top 8 don't really care who goes down, the clubs in 15th-17th will vote for the bottom three, and the ones in the middle will vote for whichever system will get it done and dusted so they can move on.  IMO.

In other words, this vote might not be passed on Thursday but it will be passed later if it's needed.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

If Leeds do go up there is going to be a huge investment from Qatar, specifically from the same company that owns PSG.

Urgh, football is entirely ****ed at this point.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

That would be one more reason why we don't need to be in EPL for any other reason than it would be because we did well in the Championship

14 hours ago, king canary said:

Urgh, football is entirely ****ed at this point.

agreed, I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would have... There's one of the reasons, it's more about money than it is about the sport itself... this combined with the play acting and the VAR have put me off it a little bit.

I still hope we pull it off though 

I wonder if this will be a permanent change in supporters attitudes about football being more about the money than the sport itself. Or will this concern quickly get consigned to history and the old values come back to the fore.

I still can't see any fixtures published anywhere. I haven't followed this too closely so may have missed something?

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I wonder if this will be a permanent change in supporters attitudes about football being more about the money than the sport itself. Or will this concern quickly get consigned to history and the old values come back to the fore.

I still can't see any fixtures published anywhere. I haven't followed this too closely so may have missed something?

It's made me think, as much as I love NCFC and football I haven't enjoyed this season that much and have missed more games than I ever have in any other season.

VAR has ruined it for me, suspect its something you get used to as a fan but I don't want that, I love the drama, the uncertainty of decisions; that's what makes the game so great for me.

I'll go to more local matches now and will have a look at Kings Lynn next season as well as NCFC as grassroots needs support.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I think fans are sometimes caught in two minds about money.

I don't like it, I don't like the affect it has had on the game and I would be happy to see a large scale reset in football. However, as a Norwich fan I also want my team to be as successful as possible and within this current environment I think that means a wealthier owner will be needed in the near future. 

i also think it will unfortunately only get worse- you've got an entire generation of fans now who have known nothing but huge money, £100k+ p/w salaries and fees of £20/30m being seen as 'bargains.' Research seems to suggest that younger fans are hugely more interested in 'big 6' teams and part of that is the money. 

I think you're probably right Kingo. It's more likely to be a temporary change. It will soon be forgotten and people's wealth will once more be centre stage.

But I don't think football will have that reset unless attitudes do change. Expecting the reset to come first is a bit like expecting the cart to pull the horse.

And I know it's an old argument but there is absolutely no reason to think if our club had richer owners we would be more successful than we are. In fact the opposite is probably true.

It's all just blind faith in money.

Edited by nutty nigel

21 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Within the FFP rules. Might not be able to make a 'huge' investment.

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Think they have only published the first three games for now as they have no idea if this will work.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Within the FFP rules. Might not be able to make a 'huge' investment.

Bearing in mind that Villa spent £150m and still look like going down, Leeds would need to spend an awful lot more than that. The really good players will still cost a lot of money.

23 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Think they have only published the first three games for now as they have no idea if this will work.

They've published two games for 17/6. If they're waiting to see how that goes they will have just 2 days to get the first weekend's fixtures sorted.

I wondered if I'd missed an announcement but I can't see anything anywhere. Must be soon though...

I wander if they'll announce all the fixtures at the last minute to stop fans travelling to games. 

37 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Bearing in mind that Villa spent £150m and still look like going down, Leeds would need to spend an awful lot more than that. The really good players will still cost a lot of money.

Villa were full of loan players when they got promoted which they then purchased. Don’t think Leeds have the same problem.

37 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Villa were full of loan players when they got promoted which they then purchased. Don’t think Leeds have the same problem.

Maybe not but they will need to spend an awful lot for them to believe that they will be competitive.

There aren't that many in their first 11 that I'd have taken from them when we were promoted so I'd expect them to easily spend over £100m.

30 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Maybe not but they will need to spend an awful lot for them to believe that they will be competitive.

There aren't that many in their first 11 that I'd have taken from them when we were promoted so I'd expect them to easily spend over £100m.

Who knows how they’ll get on. Will be interesting to see what they spend and who they go for.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

They've published two games for 17/6. If they're waiting to see how that goes they will have just 2 days to get the first weekend's fixtures sorted.

I wondered if I'd missed an announcement but I can't see anything anywhere. Must be soon though...

Read somewhere it should be getting ratified tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Have I missed something or is it one rule for professional footballers and one rule for us ? If I come into contact with a positive I will be contacted by test and trace and made to self isolate. Yet another footballer tests positive and no mention of anyone lease having to isolate.

Tottenham have had one positive coronavirus result in the latest round of testing by the Premier League, the club say.

That person will now self-isolate for seven days.

"Due to medical confidentiality, the individual's name will not be disclosed," Spurs said in a statement on their website.

This was the only positive result after 1,197 players and staff were checked in the latest round of testing.

There have now been five rounds of testing for Covid-19, and the total of positive results has increased to 13 from 5,079 tests.

Premier League players and staff are currently tested twice a week, with the league set to resume on 17 June.

18 hours ago, king canary said:

I think fans are sometimes caught in two minds about money.

I don't like it, I don't like the affect it has had on the game and I would be happy to see a large scale reset in football. However, as a Norwich fan I also want my team to be as successful as possible and within this current environment I think that means a wealthier owner will be needed in the near future. 

i also think it will unfortunately only get worse- you've got an entire generation of fans now who have known nothing but huge money, £100k+ p/w salaries and fees of £20/30m being seen as 'bargains.' Research seems to suggest that younger fans are hugely more interested in 'big 6' teams and part of that is the money. 

I think football will go back to where it was but it will take some time . Money buys short term success. People love success. 

For me , Football has shown itself in its true colours . I’m a football man and always will be . But the hypocrisy of the start is palpable. It isn’t good for morale . It’s an unnecessary risk. 

The costs involved in these levels of testing is obscene. Money makes it worth while . Those desperate for the season to start claim the results are proof that it is safe to start. What it proves is that testing is necessary across the country but the country can’t afford the resource . Football can. Yet in the next breath idiots tell us it’s to save “UK football from collapsing”. 

It’s money being used to protect money . 

35 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I think football will go back to where it was but it will take some time . Money buys short term success. People love success. 

For me , Football has shown itself in its true colours . I’m a football man and always will be . But the hypocrisy of the start is palpable. It isn’t good for morale . It’s an unnecessary risk. 

The costs involved in these levels of testing is obscene. Money makes it worth while . Those desperate for the season to start claim the results are proof that it is safe to start. What it proves is that testing is necessary across the country but the country can’t afford the resource . Football can. Yet in the next breath idiots tell us it’s to save “UK football from collapsing”. 

It’s money being used to protect money . 

Without wanting to be an 'idiot' it is about saving clubs from collapsing at this point.

I agree the money in football is obscene but it hasn't led to largely profitable clubs with cash reserves to see them through tough times. So no restart in the top 2 divisions would likely lead to several clubs experiencing severe financial difficulties (including us).