Mr Angry

Premier League restarting

Surely we have somebody who works on the TTI system who can spend their days ringing up random Premier League players telling them they have to isolate for 14 days  😉

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

They seem determined to push this through regardless. The money is obviously the main factor here so barring some disaster we are going to see the season completed. 

Contriving a finish to the other leagues by ppg will cause all sorts of unfairness but it seems the powers that be would rather do that than just draw a line under the season.

This is exactly where find ourselves . Money driven. We really shouldn’t be surprised. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

what we don’t know still far outweighs what we do. We don’t know how much time will be required to build proper match fitness  We don’t know the extent to which BAME players are being put disproportionately at risk. 

And there you have it . We don’t know , but it is worth taking the risk because of the enormous piles of cash. 

I really question whether I want to carry on sticking money into these coffers in any shape or form.  

• Like 1

On 29/05/2020 at 10:17, sonyc said:

Yes, I get that it would but it would be administratively possible to simply select season ticket holders. Anyway, it was a suggestion perhaps at the limits of possibility even though I'm surprised it's not come up as a subject nationally for debate. If the house of commons can have a percentage of attendees then why not football?

I'm hearing that Italy are considering fans getting back into stadiums with one seat filled in every three, wearing face masks. Could this be one way of getting fans back to watching matches here?

31 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I'm hearing that Italy are considering fans getting back into stadiums with one seat filled in every three, wearing face masks. Could this be one way of getting fans back to watching matches 

Would be interesting to see how many of us on here would take up this option if it was made available.

Personally I think that sounds pretty rubbish. Sat like a lemon.

Sorry, I haven't read all the thread, so I may be repeating someone else's point, but, assuming we are relegated, what shape will the Championship be in next year - some clubs going bust? all games being behind closed doors? A second spike and a shut down again? In the history of the Prem has any club been more unlucky than us? We always manage to drop out at the wrong time.

Will be great when we play all our games and probably get relegated but as the championship doesn't then we earn a reprieve. Poor Leeds etc will try through the courts but won't have a leg to stand on

46 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Will be great when we play all our games and probably get relegated but as the championship doesn't then we earn a reprieve. Poor Leeds etc will try through the courts but won't have a leg to stand on

Exactly what i have been saying. If we finish and the Championship doesnt then there shouldnt be promotion or relegation. They have to both finish to make it fair.

3 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

Exactly what i have been saying. If we finish and the Championship doesnt then there shouldnt be promotion or relegation. They have to both finish to make it fair.

You may be morally right but how the EFL decides who is promoted and how is nothing to do with the EPL.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You may be morally right but how the EFL decides who is promoted and how is nothing to do with the EPL.

It is. If the Premier League doesn't want relegation, then it doesn't have to, if I'm not mistaken. The FA and EFL may put pressure on them to do so, but as the Premier League is a separate organisation in its own right, there's no obligation to relegate and promote.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I just cant see how they can promote if their season doesnt finish. 

Would it be the top 2 up or the top 3 as it stands? If it was the top 2 then many clubs below will not let that happen without a lot of noise. If it was the top 3 then Fulham get promoted on 64 points, im sorry but if that happens then that is a total disgrace and a **** take out of clubs who have earnt promotion over the years.

Far too many obstacles if Championship doesnt finish. 

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Except it's the EPL they're trying to enter. If the EPL really is an autonomous organisation then it's up to them as to who they let in.

Edited by ron obvious

19 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Except it's the EPL they're trying to enter. If the EPL really is an autonomous organisation then it's up to them as to who they let in.

Yes. And who they decide to let leave too. That is my understanding.

All the leagues in Europe that are re-starting are doing so on the basis that relegation will happen, why should the EPL be any different?

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

All the leagues in Europe that are re-starting are doing so on the basis that relegation will happen, why should the EPL be any different?

The EPL wont be any different. The issue is with the EFL and especially the championship. They seem to be dragging their heels in wanting to start in the hope PPG kicks in and all then sing from the same hymn sheet regarding promotion and relegation. Remember, League 2 have announced season finishes but not yet what happens re relegation. They all voted to not have relegation which the EFL don't agree with. This is all going to boil down to a legal battle. Is it beyond all reasonable doubt that NCFC can stay up. I would say NO. Is it beyond all reasonable doubt that Leeds and WBA will both get promoted ? Again I say NO. You have to give everyone the chance to retain status or finish as high as possible. Therefore either all play until season end or we Null and Void and start again. 

2 hours ago, canarycop said:

The EPL wont be any different. The issue is with the EFL and especially the championship. They seem to be dragging their heels in wanting to start in the hope PPG kicks in and all then sing from the same hymn sheet regarding promotion and relegation. Remember, League 2 have announced season finishes but not yet what happens re relegation. They all voted to not have relegation which the EFL don't agree with. This is all going to boil down to a legal battle. Is it beyond all reasonable doubt that NCFC can stay up. I would say NO. Is it beyond all reasonable doubt that Leeds and WBA will both get promoted ? Again I say NO. You have to give everyone the chance to retain status or finish as high as possible. Therefore either all play until season end or we Null and Void and start again. 

Sorry but the good ship 'Null and Void' sailed weeks ago.

Here's my prediction for the EFL - the Championship will complete, Leagues 1 and 2 will be sorted by PPG which will mean promotion/relegation to and from the National League and NLS and NLN, good news for Kings Lynn.

There is a long interview in the Mail today with Tyrone Mings, in which he comes across as intelligent, sane, responsible, and well aware of how much finance has driven clubs - and players - towards agreeing to a restart.

9 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

The difference in England is that the PL and EFL are 2 different businesses.

In Spain, France, Italy etc it's all run by the same people and is easier to control and put in new rules etc.

What the EFL decides has no bearing over the PL.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a long interview in the Mail today with Tyrone Mings, in which he comes across as intelligent, sane, responsible, and well aware of how much finance has driven clubs - and players - towards agreeing to a restart.

Tyrone Mings has always come across as a thoroughly decent bloke off the pitch, with his feet firmly on the ground.

Compared to Tyrone Mings on the pitch, who likes to place his feet on opponents' heads.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Because of the amount of money at stake and the corporate structure in this country plus one would hope a sense of fairness. Relegating teams from the EPL on PPG would be a hugely expensive legal minefield. I think a large number of clubs might resist it, in relation to the European doors too. 

On 30/05/2020 at 18:22, Mason 47 said:

Would be interesting to see how many of us on here would take up this option if it was made available.

Personally I think that sounds pretty rubbish. Sat like a lemon.

With the social distancing to get in the ground queuing would be back to the Acle straight 

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Tyrone Mings has always come across as a thoroughly decent bloke off the pitch, with his feet firmly on the ground.

Compared to Tyrone Mings on the pitch, who likes to place his feet on opponents' heads.

As it happens I was in the same social circles as him back before he got his move to Ipswich. General consensus back then was that he was as much of a cretin as his on-pitch persona is- maybe he's grown up, or just manages his image very carefully.

Put it this way, when the move came and it was Ipswich I thought they were perfect for each other.

Just now, Mason 47 said:

As it happens I was in the same social circles as him back before he got his move to Ipswich. General consensus back then was that he was as much of a cretin as his on-pitch persona is- maybe he's grown up, or just manages his image very carefully.

Put it this way, when the move came and it was Ipswich I thought they were perfect for each other.

I thought his comments missed the point really. He was bemoaning the fact it’s all about the money and that the players are low in the list of considerations but not really acknowledging the point that it’s because of the players ridiculous wages that the clubs all need the money and are so desperate to re start. 

• Like 1

From a personal point of view I wont feel unfairly punished if we get to finish the season and get relegated.

It'll still have complications and I'll feel that our home advantage will have been taken away from us at our most crucial time but overall it would feel as fair as it could in this situation. 

57 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Can anyone tell me why the PL is restarting if relegation may not happen? 

Relegation will happen if it finishes. We are talking about if it starts and then is curtailed. There have been some mutterings about no relegation even if it’s played out due to loss of integrity (Liverpool playing their U21 side once they’ve won it etc) but i don’t think anyone really believes that would happen. 

It's not just about relegation though is it, surely Liverpool can't be given the title if the season gets curtailed?

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Because of the amount of money at stake and the corporate structure in this country plus one would hope a sense of fairness. Relegating teams from the EPL on PPG would be a hugely expensive legal minefield. I think a large number of clubs might resist it, in relation to the European doors too. 

Is that like Australian Pink Floyd 😃