Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Home advantage lost in Bundesliga

It will all depend on level of performance, home and away. What goes on in the Bundesliga may have no bearing at all. My feeling is that we are capable of stepping it up a notch, particularly through the younger players who will benefit from experience gained so far this season. My fear is that we become inhibited by the fear of what is at stake. As ever, we will all be up in the clouds with every win, and down in the dumps with every defeat!

I’ve not been following what’s happening in the Bundesliga as I have no interest whatsoever. My guess would be that games are going more to form with the best organised and most technically gifted sides winning their games as those that rely more on lifting their game with the passion of the crowd behind them are found wanting.

• Like 1

Will the lack of home advantage disadvantage us more than we will benefit when we are the away team? I feel like it may be to our advantage as it makes our away games a bit easier...in theory...

Football in empty stadiums is a complete farce and like winky i have i have no interest in the bundesliga whatsoever and to watch my club play in an empty Carrow Road from my armchair will be painful.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Will the lack of home advantage disadvantage us more than we will benefit when we are the away team? I feel like it may be to our advantage as it makes our away games a bit easier...in theory...

Except that three of our away games are extremely hard gsmes we were unlikely to get anything from home or away (and yes I know we beat Man City).

So I guess what I am saying is that yes I think it’s to our disadvantage as games we are very likely to lose may be a little bit easier but in gsmes we have more chance in and which are likely to be more crucial to us we have lost our home advantage. 

The end of this season is really a technicality just to get it done.   If we avoid relegation, it will be good for us of course, but not a huge excitement as the circumstances are so strange for players and fans alike. 

For what it's worth, my view is that if matches are less intense because of a lack of fans, it plays in our favour because of the excellent way farkeball works when teams aren't totally on it. 

It's definitely going to be interesting, but there won't be a lot of joy in it imo. 

'Not a huge excitement'!!! Speak for yourself. If we escape relegation by the skin of our teeth from the position we are in I'll be bouncing off the rooftops here in Golden Triangleland, and I won't be alone. It would be magnificent, crowd or no crowd.

As to the second point, you are right. Also, character will come to the fore. At some clubs there will be players who cruise through games. I don't think it will apply to City's squad. I was, am, and will remain, confident of staying up 🙂 

• Like 1

The original article is a typical example of what happens when people who don't understand statistics extrapolate from a very small sample size. In last night's Bundesliga games (which took place after the article was written) there were two home wins and three draws. It's far, far too early to say whether or not playing behind closed doors alters the likelihood of a home win. 

Still think home is more of an advantage than neutral.

Things like the routine for players..being able to stay in your own homes the night before a game as opposed to travelling and staying in a hotel.

Being able to train on your own training pitch the day before or even on the morning of a game as opposed to using this time travelling.

Even the eating arrangements on the day of a game.

...yes, the better teams will have a better chance of winning away at lower teams without a home crowd...but a neutral ground would completely remove any kind of advantage whatsoever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Still think home is more of an advantage than neutral.

Things like the routine for players..being able to stay in your own homes the night before a game as opposed to travelling and staying in a hotel.

Being able to train on your own training pitch the day before or even on the morning of a game as opposed to using this time travelling.

Even the eating arrangements on the day of a game.

...yes, the better teams will have a better chance of winning away at lower teams without a home crowd...but a neutral ground would completely remove any kind of advantage whatsoever

I may be wrong but I thought the idea was that players would go into strict isolation in a hotel or some such for the whole two months or however long it takes to play the nine games and finish the FA Cup.

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I may be wrong but I thought the idea was that players would go into strict isolation in a hotel or some such for the whole two months or however long it takes to play the nine games and finish the FA Cup.

Are they even looking to complete the FA Cup, Purple? Not heard anything about this

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Are they even looking to complete the FA Cup, Purple? Not heard anything about this

That is still the plan! As I remember the FA forced a commitment out of the EPL that its timetable for completing the EPL would allow time then to play the cup matches. Of course if the restart of the EPL is delayed and/or matches have to be postoned because squads are hit by the virus then there might not be time for the cup, particularly since the EPL wants to start the 2020-21 season the weekend of September 12/13.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The end of this season is really a technicality just to get it done.   If we avoid relegation, it will be good for us of course, but not a huge excitement as the circumstances are so strange for players and fans alike. 

For what it's worth, my view is that if matches are less intense because of a lack of fans, it plays in our favour because of the excellent way farkeball works when teams aren't totally on it. 

It's definitely going to be interesting, but there won't be a lot of joy in it imo. 

Not often I agree with LDC but i do on this one.

If by some miracle we do avoid relegation - we'll have to rename ourselves Lazarus FC - or go down next season it will be a right dog's dinner of matches behind closed doors or vastly reduced attendances so the whole atmosphere and build up surrounding games will pretty much be lost.

From the two or three matches I've watched, it's emphasised that the crowd can be the X factor in games. Average players in the heat of the moment can play like superstars. World class players can crumble under the pressure. 

From what I've seen, removing the crowd leaves you with which 11 is the better 11. 

And the other advantage of playing at your home ground is your familiarity with the playing surface and pitch dimensions. Must provide a small edge at least. 

Edited by Surfer

I really can't get excited about it at all. 8000 new cases a day. 400 deaths a day. Only 7% of people have had the virus, so 93% still vulnerable. No effective treatment yet developed, survival being a matter of luck. No real progress on a vaccine.

Young footballers may not die, but hundreds, maybe thousands more vulnerable people will. Does it really matter to people whether we stay up or not?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I really can't get excited about it at all. 8000 new cases a day. 400 deaths a day. Only 7% of people have had the virus, so 93% still vulnerable. No effective treatment yet developed, survival being a matter of luck. No real progress on a vaccine.

Young footballers may not die, but hundreds, maybe thousands more vulnerable people will. Does it really matter to people whether we stay up or not?

“Does it really matter to people whether we stay up or not?”

Yes. Very much so, and if we do I will be loving every moment of our great escape

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Away disadvantage lost too

I wish I shared your optimism. We have 5 home games left which in normal circumstances we would have been hopeful of winning. It is what it is but I would rather be playing those games with a full house behind us

45 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I wish I shared your optimism. We have 5 home games left which in normal circumstances we would have been hopeful of winning. It is what it is but I would rather be playing those games with a full house behind us

I would too, but it’s the same for everyone. We played arsenal off the park at our place. Watford away is much better without their fans. I don’t believe we will stay up. We have been the authors to our own demise. But we will beat some of the teams we have coming up! 

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The original article is a typical example of what happens when people who don't understand statistics extrapolate from a very small sample size. In last night's Bundesliga games (which took place after the article was written) there were two home wins and three draws. It's far, far too early to say whether or not playing behind closed doors alters the likelihood of a home win. 

Yup - a couple of rounds of games isn’t enough to compare to the preceding c25-odd - you have to look at who has been playing who, which is more relevant, and whether results were unexpected.  
Ultimately I guess the lack of a crowd may be a bit of a leveller for some, but if we are to play home and away it is up to us to try to maximise the advantage from playing at FCR.

2 hours ago, JF said:

“Does it really matter to people whether we stay up or not?”

Yes. Very much so, and if we do I will be loving every moment of our great escape

This. 

All the deaths are a tragedy but so is businesses going to the wall and people losing their jobs. We have to get back to some form of normality at some stage.

The players have to put everything out of their minds and battle for their footballing lives. No excuses, 11 v 11, just go for it.

This really isn't the season to be relegated.

• Like 2