Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Who will we play next season?

Absolutely. That is why they need to get into their heads that just at this moment rather than paying some of our footballers £1.5 million per year the maximum we can currently afford is about 10 per cent of that.

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Absolutely. That is why they need to get into their heads that just at this moment rather than paying some of our footballers £1.5 million per year the maximum we can currently afford is about 10 per cent of that.

It's a bit difficult to make that happen when you have 30 player contracts for the next two years which state that you'll pay them the £1.5m though.....

It's tough times and will put us back in to a debt situation but others are much worse off than we are/will be.

Our losses will be covered by player sales and those contract extensions with buy out clauses will be what helps, if people want our players then we have the control, previous regimes we now be looking at wholesale changes to bring a bit of money in.

I suspect some of the Championship clubs will have to rely on loans for the next few seasons to get them through it and smaller squads.

Assume our parachute payments won't be affected as that's part of the existing PL contract so we're better off than most.

The stable door is seized up and can't be seen for cobwebs. The horses all bolted long long ago and belong to someone else now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The stable door is seized up and can't be seen for cobwebs. The horses all bolted long long ago and belong to someone else now.

Other peoples horses?  Cattle rustling and Horse thievery  used to be Lynching  offences.

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I blame McNasty, or is it Steve Stone, just maybe that director chap who came from Archant but most certainly that nephew.

46 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

It's tough times and will put us back in to a debt situation but others are much worse off than we are/will be.

Our losses will be covered by player sales and those contract extensions with buy out clauses will be what helps, if people want our players then we have the control, previous regimes we now be looking at wholesale changes to bring a bit of money in.

I suspect some of the Championship clubs will have to rely on loans for the next few seasons to get them through it and smaller squads.

Assume our parachute payments won't be affected as that's part of the existing PL contract so we're better off than most.

Maybe but Rick Parry is gunning for parachute payments whilst our 'control' regarding our young stars could be diluted when the potential buyers know we need to sell. 

10 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Maybe but Rick Parry is gunning for parachute payments whilst our 'control' regarding our young stars could be diluted when the potential buyers know we need to sell. 

He may be but that's a future thing, the contract between PL and NCFC is as is and cannot be changed now, yes for future relegations and promotions but not for the current season.

As for potential buyers, the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Cantwell and Buendia will attract clubs who will pay as they won't be as affected by the hit as their owners have plenty of spare.

The value of any of the above will be devalued by 50% at least. There will be so many players on the dole 

• Like 1

Players have contracts which must be honoured but many people see the current situation as unsustainable for many clubs as wages have escalated beyond all common sense. 

Maybe it's time transfer fees and wages were re adjusted down as it puts too much pressure on clubs and subsequently us the fans. We all love the game so we should all pull together to save our clubs and the biggest financial outlay is to the players. 

I just hope this difficult time will make all players wake up to the reality that clubs may go under which will result in no wage at all. 

2 minutes ago, daly said:

The value of any of the above will be devalued by 50% at least. There will be so many players on the dole 

That may be the case if we choose to or have to accept lower offers, but we have full control whilst those clauses are in the contracts and this could have been a masterstroke.

Sure clubs will come in with derisiry offers as that's what they do but we can choose to accept or not.

To be honest football clubs have slowly been going to the wall for a wile now.

This might be the reset football needs. Those clubs better run will survive, those not so well might die off. Sad for a lot of die hard fans but I struggle to think of any other country which has 7 leagues which interact with each other with over 150 teams, that’s without going further down the leagues.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Other peoples horses?  Cattle rustling and Horse thievery  used to be Lynching  offences.

i did hear of this cowboy who had a brown paper suit. He got charged with rustling...

12 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

As for potential buyers, the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Cantwell and Buendia will attract clubs who will pay as they won't be as affected by the hit as their owners have plenty of spare.

That's not how FFP works. All clubs will see budgets shrink if they lose matchday revenues, and you may find that the big clubs can't spend much at all to stay within limits over the next few years. 

12 hours ago, Indy said:

To be honest football clubs have slowly been going to the wall for a wile now.

This might be the reset football needs. Those clubs better run will survive, those not so well might die off. Sad for a lot of die hard fans but I struggle to think of any other country which has 7 leagues which interact with each other with over 150 teams, that’s without going further down the leagues.

Spain and Italy for a start. 

Serie C has three divisions and Serie D has nine divisions. 

Arturo Lupoli currently plays in Serie C Group B. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

OK TVB, stand corrected, but still don’t have any issue to see football reset itself to a sustainable level. Like I said clubs have slowly been struggling for years.

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

A little like Coronavirus statistics International comparisons should be treated with caution. 

Spain for example has what it calls a national Third Division divided into 16 regional tiers. Many of the teams are probably Anglian Combination standard. Only La Liga and the division immediately below it are full time professional. Then there are a further 4 regional Divisions called Second Division  B. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's not how FFP works. All clubs will see budgets shrink if they lose matchday revenues, and you may find that the big clubs can't spend much at all to stay within limits over the next few years. 

FFP will.be adjusted in line with the drop in income surely, clubsnhave budgeted to spend based on expected income and therefore every club will likely already be overspending on FFP rules so they will have to relax the rules.

How that affects future spending is to be seen but I really don't see the big sides changing their habits much after we come out the other side of this.

19 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not sure I share your confidence.

There is talk of a £20m rebate to TV companies even if the season is completed, we're already talking about losing £9m from games being played behind closed doors this season and there is no guarantee that next season will start with full stadiums. Factor in a depressed transfer market and it might not all be as simple as we like to think.

Relegation clauses must surely have been factored in we planned for a 20th position according to Webber.  Couldn.t continue to pay PL contracts on Championship income, but most on three year contracts and will be covered by parachute payments.  Expect salaries will drop by 30 - 40%, however some may be paid the full PL contract as their importance to the club necessitates this e.g. Pukki.

Whatever it will still be tight financially. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think the point was more that no other country has as many fully professional layers as the English league does. 

22 minutes ago, pete said:

Relegation clauses must surely have been factored in we planned for a 20th position according to Webber.  Couldn.t continue to pay PL contracts on Championship income, but most on three year contracts and will be covered by parachute payments.  Expect salaries will drop by 30 - 40%, however some may be paid the full PL contract as their importance to the club necessitates this e.g. Pukki.

Whatever it will still be tight financially. 

Thought that was 'standard' in NCFC contracts, they salaries were increased upon promotion so logically will all be reduced based on relegation.

Whether some of the players choose to accept it is to be seen of course

Very good question!

I can honestly see a massive shake up in the league structure as its a certainty clubs are going to not start up next season.

Next season will be a total mess if the powers that be say nobody through the turnstiles for another year. It really upsets me that lots of club might just disappear out of existence very soon.

One way to maybe get some revenue in is some sort of home season ticket where you pay and can watch the matches at home. 

I fear for football i really do and hope a lot of clubs can be saved.

19 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I think the point was more that no other country has as many fully professional layers as the English league does. 

Just looked at the structures, and didn’t realise after the third and second divisions in Spain and Italy it drops off to as said non league, most clubs as far down as our 7th division have pro players even the likes of kings Lynn have full time players I believe!

54 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Well the original point referred to 7 divisions - we haven’t got 7 fully professional leagues, we’ve got four. Italy has five , with 100 professional teams - more than in our top four divisions.

5 hours ago, Aggy said:

Well the original point referred to 7 divisions - we haven’t got 7 fully professional leagues, we’ve got four. Italy has five , with 100 professional teams - more than in our top four divisions.

I didn't realise that Italy had that depth of professional teams. I always though England had the most. 

6 hours ago, HairyTeeth said:

One way to maybe get some revenue in is some sort of home season ticket where you pay and can watch the matches at home. 

I suggested this before and I'm surprised that Sky or BT haven't brought out an away season ticket for fans to watch their teams.

That doesn't impact home support as to watch every Norwich match youd have to sign up to every other team in the league and if they put it on the red button I'd probably get it. Atmosphere can't be any worse than no fans!?!

I know there are some kind of restrictions around 3PM Saturdays (assume thats to protect season tickets at grounds) but it would work surely!?

I am sure that if the whole of next season is behind closed doors there will be some sort of TV season ticket available to buy, but that's not going to replace our £8m worth of gate receipts.

I think parachute payments are probably safe - if they weren't guaranteed I doubt that relegation could be enforced. Player contracts may well have wage reductions and buy outs, but these will have been set in different times and I suspect we may have to offload some of our talent for less than we might have wanted.

Conversely, some of our squad will be glad to have a contract and will be more than happy to honour it - they may be the less well fancied players but it will still give us a strong squad in comparison to others.

We might have to welcome a few more of our academy players into the first team squad.