Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Super Mario

Love this guy as a footballer.  Composed, marvellous left foot, scores big goals in big matches. Scores with either foot so goalkeepers often can't predict which foot he is going to use, let alone which side he is going for.  Without his crucial goals we would not have been promoted.

• Like 2

Just watched that goal versus Sheff Wednesday again. Had to be just right and in the last moments of the match. What are the percentages of being successful? Must be very small.

Love watching Super Mario's goals in the Championship - a shame that he hasn't really been able to handle the step-up to Premier League level in the effortless way that Todd Cantwell has..............................

• Like 4

100 per cent with you on that one Lake District. The best special awareness player to wear a Norwich shirt since Martin Peters and much more besides. It is hard to know which of his goals last season is the best. In the final analysis it probably isn't the Birmingham one but what a fantastic strike that was. The lack of his selection is one reason we are where we are.

• Like 1

Have to say that I would like to have seen him given a run of games too. The ability to score from free kicks and his other deadball delivery would have been invaluable IMO

• Like 1

Actually there's a funny story,” the former Mainz and Paderborn midfielder added, whose family moved to Germany when he was young fleeing war torn Bosnia .

“One of my best mates, his mother is from Norwich, and when I was like 12 or 13 years old we used to play together. He said 'one day you're going to play for Norwich City in the Premier League!' and I've achieved it.”

You certainly did Mario . It was meant to be !

He’s a player I just love watching , he oozes class I reckon . Again , wish I’d seen more of him in the Premier League . If we do go down , he could have another great championship season here with plenty more of those goals . 

Edited by Pockthorpe

4 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Have to say that I would like to have seen him given a run of games too. The ability to score from free kicks and his other deadball delivery would have been invaluable IMO

I like the vision Mario has and his delivery and tackling abilities makes him a contender to start any game in my books. I really hope he gets games ahead of Duda .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Oh and I suppose I should add without his goals we are likely going to be relegated..........unless he has a big input in the next nine games, if they happen.

It’s ok, Todd has chipped in with the goals instead 😀👍🏻

10 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

It’s ok, Todd has chipped in with the goals instead 😀👍🏻

Nine games to go and we need decisive goals and whoever gets to play has to deliver. I don't mind whether it's Todd, Mario or both of them that score the goals, but whoever plays has to step up and deliver when needed - and Mario has the history to show he can do it at the important times.  Lets hope they both do it and get us up the table.

• Like 1

Would like to have seen more of him this but you can't deny that Cantwell hasn't stepped up. I'm not sure Daniel is totally sold on Mario at this level and with the addition of Rupp and Duda, barring injury, I can't see him figuring again this season. Would be an important player again for us next season should be go down.

How is it that Mario has spent most of the season out of the team?

11 league appearances and most of those as a last ditch sub getting 5 minutes on the pitch if he's lucky.

The man has the ability to influence games and turn them in our favour.

He's the best free kick taker we have by some distance.

IMO he's a superior player and a a far better all round option than Duda, Rupp, Stiepermann, Hernandez and Drmic.

If we are going to avoid relegation, he should start every game from now on.

• Like 3

Mario has suffered not because of his own ability but our poor transfer window last summer IMO. The defensive midfield position was absolutely vital to get correct with someone capable of really owning that part of the pitch to allow our less defensive players to do the damage.

None of Trybull, Tettey or Leitner have enough of the full portion to run that position at this level and there are of course huge question marks over what went on with Amadou after just half an hour in the position (even after Tettey had come out and said Ibra was 'the guy' that would make that slot his own). We needed to get it right to allow our ball-players to play ball, and we didn't.

FWIW I like Mario after wanting shot of him after that first season, and I actually think his best position would be in the free role behind the striker- he can do so much damage from that 25-yard line that I'm surprised we've only seen it a few times.

Mario was my favourite player - pretty much from when he signed him and people will see looking back how I defended him against a lot of stick.

But his injuries havent helped him this season and hes rarely done enough in his opportunities to warrant a proper run.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Mario was my favourite player - pretty much from when he signed him and people will see looking back how I defended him against a lot of stick.

But his injuries havent helped him this season and hes rarely done enough in his opportunities to warrant a proper run.

I also defended him, right from early on when he showed us what he could do against Brentford in the league cup. This season in the FA cup game against Burnley he was sensational - it was a masterclass of how to use the ball and he was simply brilliant.  If nothing else that was deserving of at least some minutes in the following match but he was only given the token substitution in the 89th minute. 

I love everything about Daniel Farke and support him totally, but it is mystifying why he didn't give Vrancic a few more minutes to see if he could make a difference against Newcastle. It was 0-0 and what we needed was someone to have that little bit of class to put Newcastle to bed.  So we got a point and that was important, but with Vrancic's record of producing rabbits out of the hat last season with his goals, it seems strange he's not been given more game time this.  As for the fitness thing - If he was fit enough to do so well the previous week and to be on the bench the following, then fitness was surely not an issue. 

People stated he wasn't very good in one game he started this season (against Villa?) but then players need a little bit of time to get up to speed and he simply hasn't been given that time. People also say he isn't quick enough, or good defensively, but his tackling and his work rate have improved dramatically over the time he has been at Norwich and he has proved he can adapt. 

I don't even accept he is a luxury player, which some have said - his ability to create chances from nothing is clear and against Spurs he showed that for Pukki's goal that wasn't but should have been......

O gawd, this has turned into another essay, but he is the one player I wanted to see in the PL more than any other player we have and it has been disappointing not to see more of him. I am really hoping that if the games continue this season he is able to get in the team and show us the kind of form he is capable of. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Making Plans said:

11 league appearances and most of those as a last ditch sub getting 5 minutes on the pitch if he's lucky.

IMO he's a superior player and a a far better all round option than Duda, Rupp, Stiepermann, Hernandez and Drmic.

I couldn't agree more. It's not just his vision, perfect weighted pass or dead ball accuracy, he wins the ball more than anyone i have seen so far. Play Mario alongside Todd and we will win games. Such a waste of talent to have him on the bench. 

20 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Completely agree with this, he hasn't been given the time on the pitch he deserves. I still get the thrills out of watching that free kick against Shef Wed or his goal against Blackburn... he's got the technical ability , why not play him some more?