dylanisabaddog

Solicitor on Radio 5 this morning

A solicitor who has extensive football experience was interviewed on Radio 5 Live this morning. Asked if a club would have a legal case if relegated from the Premier League based on an incomplete season his response was "the short answer is yes" 

He had previously said that the legal position if a player catches the virus is unclear and took so long explaining why that they didn't have time to ask him why a relegated club could sue 

I thought as much. I can honestly say if the League/Leagues dont finish there will be no relegation. Just cant see how they can. 

We are in an interesting position because surely we have a big say who we give our Premier shares to and when if season doesnt finish? 

We have a very big argument with the 46 and 37 game scenario and im sure the club are going to defend that route. 

The reason i am getting very vocal and passionate about this as i think we will stay up if season is finished. Im very confident we will.

12 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

I thought as much. I can honestly say if the League/Leagues dont finish there will be no relegation. Just cant see how they can. 

We are in an interesting position because surely we have a big say who we give our Premier shares to and when if season doesnt finish? 

We have a very big argument with the 46 and 37 game scenario and im sure the club are going to defend that route. 

The reason i am getting very vocal and passionate about this as i think we will stay up if season is finished. Im very confident we will.

Who are you trying to fool, apart from yourself?

You are 6 points adrift with an inferior goal difference of 10 on top of that.

You were going down before all this happened and you know it, and you will still be going down after this is all over - be thankful its going to be played out BCD, because otherwise you were down on PPG.

No amount of squealing, or excuse making is going to change that, just hold your hands up, be honest and admit you have been garbage all season and therefore deserve all that is coming to you.

Using a global pandemic as an excuse to avoid relegation (and keep your share of the TV cash for another season even though you don't deserve that cash) is shameful IMHO, just show a bit of integrity, because looking from the outside it is absolutely pathetic, and the overwhelming vast majority can see right through it.

3 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

You were going down before all this happened and you know it, and you will still be going down after this is all over - be thankful its going to be played out BCD, because otherwise you were down on PPG.

No amount of squealing, or excuse making is going to change that, just hold your hands up, be honest and admit you have been garbage all season and therefore deserve all that is coming to you.

Using a global pandemic as an excuse to avoid relegation (and keep your share of the TV cash for another season even though you don't deserve that cash) is shameful IMHO, just show a bit of integrity, because looking from the outside it is absolutely pathetic, and the overwhelming vast majority can see right through it.

Can’t Leeds fans just stick to moaning on Twitter? 

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Just like you were going up last season, and you knew it....

Come on Nutty you are really being kind as surely you meant last few seasons. Do you reckon he remembers that 11 point lead they chucked away back in League One ?

Enjoy your one season in the PL in a sterile behind closed doors non event, if you go up, and with your poxy record it is an if. You’ll be relegated again next season and we’ll come back up to take your place just in time for when crowds and real football is back 👍

2 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Well, I was about to defend you (on the grounds that 'ignorance' is the lack of knowledge or understanding) and to ask you to ignore Dylan's attempt to wind you up (by calling Leeds a small club which they are not), but you have spoiled it all by coming back at us with this response which shows that you too are ignorant and very much up for a fight.

So, before this thread descends into boring abuse I will just say adios, and hope that we meet on the pitch next season. 

7 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

You were going down before all this happened and you know it

And you were going to bottle promotion (again, again) before all this happened, and you know it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Just like you were going up last season, and you knew it....

Yep, to be fair it looked like that for the vast majority of the season.

But the gaps were a lot smaller than they are this season - we are 7 points clear, and you are 6 adrift.

Of course its possible we could "fall apart" again - although with our run in that would be even more spectacular than ever before.

And of course you could pull yourself out of the relegation zone (you have the opportunity BCD) as highly unlikely as that is.

But using a global pandemic to desperately try to avoid what was coming is pathetic, and everyone sees through it.

It does make me laugh when people talk about money being the driving factor for continuing, when that is the VERY reason the null and voiders want the season ending - so they can be rewarded with TV cash for failure this season.

Pathetic and cowardly.

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Can’t Leeds fans just stick to moaning on Twitter? 

Jus putting some perspective out there in this echo chamber fella.

The law says you aren't allowed to spit at the moment so their supporters have nothing to do at the moment but come on here trying to be cocky.

Fact is fella, you are a small club like us and you were only famous because you cheated. Sheffield United are the pride of Yorkshire.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Come on Nutty you are really being kind as surely you meant last few seasons. Do you reckon he remembers that 11 point lead they chucked away back in League One ?

What was this 11 point lead in League one that was thrown away  you talk about?

I smell **** (again).

How about talking truth? try it.

1 minute ago, Lowfields1919 said:

We will stay up and yes im very confident that we will. 

Using a global pandemic as an excuse? Not 1 Norwich fan is doing that. Why should we get punished when the season hasnt finished.

Garbage all season? You obviously havent watched us this season then. If we didnt have our injury crisis earlier in the season we wouldnt be in the bottom 3 right now i can assure you of that. We have been very unlucky this season. I would be the 1st man to put my hand up if we deserve relegation but we dont, far from it. We have played some fantastic football this season. 

At the end of the day who do we give the trophy to if the Championship season doesnt finish? No one is the answer as no one are champions. You would be classed as winners with an invite to the the EPL but not champions with promotion. We had to play 46 games and you 37. Imagine being champions with 71 points? 

Seasons have to finish simple as, otherwise no promotion and no relegation. Integrity? Where is it if teams get promoted without finishing season?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JF said:

Enjoy your one season in the PL in a sterile behind closed doors non event, if you go up, and with your poxy record it is an if. You’ll be relegated again next season and we’ll come back up to take your place just in time for when crowds and real football is back 👍

With Bielsa in charge, I think you are going to be very disappointed.

With a bit of money, the man will smash it - and you know it.

10 minutes ago, JF said:

Hasn't Carrow Road always been sterile, even with a crowd in it?

1 minute ago, Lowfields1919 said:

With Bielsa in charge, I think you are going to be very disappointed.

With a bit of money, the man will smash it - and you know it.

You have one hell of a shock coming to you next season. Make no mistake about it we are head and shoulders superior in our play and if there were a match between the two teams we’d play you off the pitch. The PL is a whole different level, many in here, myself included thought we would be fine but every mistake is punished. Sheffield United are very much an exception. Money? Villa threw £150 million at it, that won’t help you 

But the gaps were a lot smaller than they are this season - we are 7 points clear, and you are 6 adrift.

Of course its possible we could "fall apart" again - although with our run in that would be even more spectacular than ever before.

And of course you could pull yourself out of the relegation zone (you have the opportunity BCD) as highly unlikely as that is.

But using a global pandemic to desperately try to avoid what was coming is pathetic, and everyone sees through it.

It does make me laugh when people talk about money being the driving factor for continuing, when that is the VERY reason the null and voiders want the season ending - so they can be rewarded with TV cash for failure this season.

Pathetic and cowardly.

If you read other threads you will see most are accepting that we will go down it was the safety of the players that were of concern in project restart. However if it is against the law for us to be relegated why should we be ?
I guarantee you Bournemouth / Villa have a much bigger case and I am sure they will not hesitate.

2 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Pathetic and cowardly.

Of course you can look back on it now, with the knowledge of what really happened, with a different perspective. However it doesn't change what you "knew" at the time.

Leicester had 19 points after 29 games in 2014. They were down and they knew it...

As for talking about money, I think you're replying to someone else.

3 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

We will stay up and yes im very confident that we will. 

Using a global pandemic as an excuse? Not 1 Norwich fan is doing that. Why should we get punished when the season hasnt finished.

Garbage all season? You obviously havent watched us this season then. If we didnt have our injury crisis earlier in the season we wouldnt be in the bottom 3 right now i can assure you of that. We have been very unlucky this season. I would be the 1st man to put my hand up if we deserve relegation but we dont, far from it. We have played some fantastic football this season. 

At the end of the day who do we give the trophy to if the Championship season doesnt finish? No one is the answer as no one are champions. You would be classed as winners with an invite to the the EPL but not champions with promotion. We had to play 46 games and you 37. Imagine being champions with 71 points? 

Seasons have to finish simple as, otherwise no promotion and no relegation. Integrity? Where is it if teams get promoted without finishing season?

And why should you be rewarded for failure, you are bottom for a reason.

If wanting the season voiding so you can keep your snout in the TV cash trough for next season, isn't using the pandemic as an excuse then I don't know what is.

Anyway..... its going to be played out, so all these arguments can be put to bed.

Im sure you wouldn't want to be forever remembered as the team who stayed up undeservedly.

So getting back to the topic (and ignoring the fact that the Leeds fan makes a very valid point, although in an impolite manner), it shouldn't be any surprise that "a solicitor" will say that there is a possibility of legal action. There is always such a possibility, on which solicitors earn very nice fees.

In this case, however, if 14 clubs vote for it there is absolutely no possibility of any legal action succeeding - you probably won't get a solicitor to admit that, but it's true. Everyone signs up to the PL's terms when they join.

So I'm afraid I agree with the Leeds fan - we survive on the pitch, or we go down. Those really are the only options and no amount of solicitors opinions will change it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

You have one hell of a shock coming to you next season. Make no mistake about it we are head and shoulders superior in our play and if there were a match between the two teams we’d play you off the pitch. The PL is a whole different level, many in here, myself included thought we would be fine but every mistake is punished. Sheffield United are very much an exception. Money? Villa threw £150 million at it, that won’t help you 

Leeds - Bielsa.

Villa - Dean Smith.

Ill leave that there.

7 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

Who is? Your on the wrong message board i think. Your just frothing at the mouth realising there is still a chance that relegation will be cancelled and/or promotion as well.

Your getting all cocky and you havent earned promotion yet. No wonder everyone laughs at you lot.

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

If you read other threads you will see most are accepting that we will go down it was the safety of the players that were of concern in project restart. However if it is against the law for us to be relegated why should we be ?
I guarantee you Bournemouth / Villa have a much bigger case and I am sure they will not hesitate.

And this is the thing......

There is little to zero concerns for the safety of the players and I suspect the vast majority know this.

Like I said - its just another desperate attempt to "null and void".

Funny how all the concerns are coming from clubs threatened with relegation.

The vast majority of people are back at work now, people with "non essential" jobs have been working throughout.

Its all very transparent, and if you are honest you would admit it too.

22 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

What was this 11 point lead in League one that was thrown away  you talk about?

I smell **** (again).

How about talking truth? try it.

Ok fair cop but the truth is that at Christmas in League One we were 8 points behind you but ended up at the end of the season 9 points in front of you. Does that seem better to you that instead of being clear at the top by 11 points we had a 17 point swing in the second half of the season ?

Bottled it big time and ten years later it is still going on.

Edited by TIL 1010

8 minutes ago, HairyTeeth said:

Who is? Your on the wrong message board i think. Your just frothing at the mouth realising there is still a chance that relegation will be cancelled and/or promotion as well.

Your getting all cocky and you havent earned promotion yet. No wonder everyone laughs at you lot.

You really need to get your head around the fact that relegation and promotion are happening.

It was decided weeks ago and nothing will change that.

It matters not how the EFL decide to end their season - BCD or PPG.

Its 3 up and 3 down, it makes no difference to the PL how the EFL conclude matters.

All this "if the championship doesn't finish we can't have relegation" is just the last desperate throw of the dice for poor performing clubs looking to cling to the Sky tv money.

Good luck in your day in court, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I was you.

11 minutes ago, Lowfields1919 said:

And this is the thing......

There is little to zero concerns for the safety of the players and I suspect the vast majority know this.

Like I said - its just another desperate attempt to "null and void".

Funny how all the concerns are coming from clubs threatened with relegation.

The vast majority of people are back at work now, people with "non essential" jobs have been working throughout.

Its all very transparent, and if you are honest you would admit it too.

Folk have been transparent. We know that null and void is unfair. We know it would keep us up and unfairly. A lot of posters have suggested an expanded EPL with you and WBA. And of course clubs near relegation spots will be most concerned. So would you be in our position.

Edited by sonyc