Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Six Positive Tests in the Premier League

This is on top of the £360 million of rebates the broadcasters want back already!! I think the PL will be looking at going it’s own way on its own streaming platform or Amazon after this deal expires 

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

They obviously didn’t know they had it ?

Obviously, but well capable of passing it on to unsuspecting team mates and staff.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

You have to wonder what level would give them pause to rethink. Looks to me they are going for it regardless.

Unless lots follow Troy Deeney

I suspect that more players/staff at the positive test clubs will now. They'll certainly delay training till there are 100% negative tests at the clubs involved.

I don't like the wording of the news reports. Alot saying 'only 6 tests' as if that's a postive thing. 

Sadly the league will plough on with this restart until someone dies or is at leat seriously ill. Idiots. 

It's one of Boris' vanity projects and as we have seen before with his other vanity projects he will allow nothing to stop it whatever the morals involved. Then, when it goes bosoms up, he will do what he's best at - bluster his way out of  trouble! I do just wonder to what depths he will sink to get this up and running. 

1 minute ago, Barry Brockes said:

It's one of Boris' vanity projects and as we have seen before with his other vanity projects he will allow nothing to stop it whatever the morals involved. Then, when it goes bosoms up, he will do what he's best at - bluster his way out of  trouble! I do just wonder to what depths he will sink to get this up and running. 

Well he has played in charity games before.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you have been in lockdown, like we all have, how do you catch it?

A drug fuelled orgy in Paris, the occcasional **** party here and there, the odd BBQ with "lady friends" or coming back to the UK from some Foreign country with it.

Almost gauranteed that they didn't get it shopping in a supermarket or any other mundane way because lets face it, when you're on EPL wage you are far to clever to do stuff like that. 😁

Maybe a couple of Arsenal players or Kyle Walker could give you a few pointers.

Edited by Making Plans

3 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

But this was from 748 tests, so probably on reflection not too bad.

Based on the governments record that could be only about 375 people as they often seem to retest ppl!!

At the end of the day, the positive tests should be low as everyone has been social distancing. The worry is how many out of 748 would be positive after 90 minutes of man to man marking and tackling etc

3 hours ago, Orly said:

Also, if they ARE asymptomatic, that would presumably mean that they are at least slightly less contagious, as no symptoms means no coughing?  Therefore no guarantee of them infecting anyone else?

(I know it can still theoretically be transferred via droplets just from breathing, but they'll be far fewer of the droplets as opposed to coughing?)

We dont know enough about asymptomatic spreaders to know how infectious they can be, in theory you would think they present a lower risk to others but thats not been proven. Of course spread from them contaminating surfaces is still a big risk.

Burnley have said one of the positive tests was their assistant manager 

The weeks before the proposed restart will be interesting. Country is getting more relaxed with lockdown meaning more footballers and the staff (and broadcasting staff etc) out and about 

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Talk about integrity. Only one named.

If one in four hundred is the benchmark then 6 out of 748 is not good.

Though they have named the one club who didn't test until Tuesday and it was us!

Yes Watford. And they also may have the highest percentage of BAME players of any EPL squad. So given the stats on which segments of the population have been the worst affected by the Virus, I'd say there is a good chance they will be proposing at least a significant postponement. 

Watford.jpg

Edited by Surfer

Makes Troy Deeney’s decision not to train look like a very good one, considering he has a young child with breathing issues. Brings into sharp focus just how risky and serious this could be.

• Like 1

6 cases seems pretty decent but lockdown has only been slightly lifted for just over a week.  Whilst I don't think we'll get to the levels seen in April, the further easing of the lockdown in June (kids in certain years back at school etc) is likely to have some effect on the amount of cases out there.

There are further twists and turns to come, who knows which way this will go!

If you’re a 20 year old footballer with your whole life ahead of you why would you put yourself at risk of a killer disease by going into the unknown. 

Danny Rose now saying players are being treated like ' lab rats ' by project restart and he wants nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, daly said:

If you’re a 20 year old footballer with your whole life ahead of you why would you put yourself at risk of a killer disease by going into the unknown. 

I made the same point on the thread about the Bundesliga restart, albeit not to do with the danger of dying but of suffering career-threatening damage to your body, as raised as a possibility by a recent German-Italian study.

Football is not an essential business and playing this season to a finish is not essential. The scenario I envisaged was of a 23-year-old Bundesliga player with at least six seasons ahead of them. In their boots I would not take the risk, even though probably small, of scr*wing my career just to play in a non-essential finish to a non-essential activity.

I would sit it out and hope that by the time I needed to make a decision about the next season (if there is one) I would have more medical information about this risk and/or news of treatments to counter the virus, or even a vaccine. This is probably not disimilar to Troy Deeney's reasoning. Why risk his son's health, even if the risk is small, for something that is by no stretch of the imagination essential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your train journey analogy explained your point before Purple. It does ask the question whether you would board the train.

Fair play to Deeney for standing up for himself. Admirable. With my partisan hat on though not the end of the world for us if a few of Watford's better players refuse to train/play!

19 hours ago, Diane said:

Tweet from David Freezer

"Breaking story as Premier League confirm just six of 748 coronavirus tests completed so far have come back as positive - understand none of those six are at #NCFC "

"I would imagine the PL are pleased with only 6 of 748, less than 1pc, shows that the social distancing has been working. Remember positive can mean symptomless. This is first wave of test results though so not full picture yet. Those six now self-isolate for 7 days"

Bit surprised that David Freezer has tweeted this. The Norwich tests were only done yesterday and the club didn't have the results as at the time of reporting on BBC radio at 8.00 this morning. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I made the same point on the thread about the Bundesliga restart, albeit not to do with the danger of dying but of suffering career-threatening damage to your body, as raised as a possibility by a recent German-Italian study.

Football is not an essential business and playing this season to a finish is not essential. The scenario I envisaged was of a 23-year-old Bundesliga player with at least six seasons ahead of them. In their boots I would not take the risk, even though probably small, of scr*wing my career just to play in a non-essential finish to a non-essential activity.

I would sit it out and hope that by the time I needed to make a decision about the next season (if there is one) I would have more medical information about this risk and/or news of treatments to counter the virus, or even a vaccine. This is probably not disimilar to Troy Deeney's reasoning. Why risk his son's health, even if the risk is small, for something that is by no stretch of the imagination essential.

These are all totally fair points. However I do think we're going to be approaching a time soon where players might have to either stop being paid or take furloughing. I know they are in a unique position but you can't honestly expect to say you're refusing to come to work and keep taking your salary.

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

These are all totally fair points. However I do think we're going to be approaching a time soon where players might have to either stop being paid or take furloughing. I know they are in a unique position but you can't honestly expect to say you're refusing to come to work and keep taking your salary.

The counter-argument would be that you were refusing to go to work because of a risk to your health. This is not a brilliant analogy but if asbestos was found in your workplace you would be totally justified in staying away.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The counter-argument would be that you were refusing to go to work because of a risk to your health. This is not a brilliant analogy but if asbestos was found in your workplace you would be totally justified in staying away.

You're right it isn't your best analogy 😉

Unfortunately all work right now comes with an element of risk based on this virus, unless you can satisfactorily do your job from home, which football players clearly can't. In most instances those people would be furloughed. 

If project restart doesn't happen, clubs are going to be dealing with sizable rebates to go along with significant drops in match day income. That is before we get to the issue of what happens with next season and how that affects future TV income

Watford reportedly have a wage budget of over £80m. How long can a club like that sustainably pay out £7m a month in wages when they're main sources of income are cut off?

• Haha 1

I have just heard 2 more Watford players are self isolating because close family members have tested positive even though they themselves haven't. No news on who the players are but how many players will a club have to lose before they can say we can't play. My only feeling is this is going to get silly. 

Two more from two clubs in the latest round of tests 

Edited by JF