Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

If this season is completed in the PL....

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Just been reading a book about Churchill and the start of the WW2, your attitude is definitely that of Chamberlain and Halifax - just give in now because of the apparent overwhelming odds.......just as well we had Churchill to spell out the truth - it isn't over until it's over. 

The French at that time made a phonetic play on words to call Chamberlain 'J'aime Berlin'. Not entirely fair. One motivation for Chamberlain and the others who'd' lived (in some cases fought) through world war one was to try to avoid another.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2

Will be a huge incentive for various clubs in the championship to finish once this gets adopted (not).

Well that could put a lot of clubs into great financial difficulty. Any club with nothing to play for would surely not want it and I doubt any team in danger would either.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Just been reading a book about Churchill and the start of the WW2, your attitude is definitely that of Chamberlain and Halifax - just give in now because of the apparent overwhelming odds.......just as well we had Churchill to spell out the truth - it isn't over until it's over. 

While you were reading Churchill's speeches could you hear Johnson's voice in your head? Johnson can.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The French at that time made a phonetic play on words to call Chamberlain 'J'aime Berlin'. Not entirely fair. One motivation for Chamberlain and the others who'd' lived (in some cases fought) through world war one was to try to avoid another.

When I was a kid french friends of ours used to refer to corkscrews (the ones with the arms) as "De Gauls"...

Looking at the championship table there is an outside chance you might suddenly find there are 13 clubs who don't want to continue if the alternative is end now with PPG.

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Personally, I have had enough of this farce. The EPL should relegate us as we could have no complaints as whether the season is completed or not that is our fate. We can then focus on preparing for the nee season whenever that is.

Given the drop in TV money, the likelihood of next season being behind closed doors and the impact on our club revenue that causes, and the potential loss of several key members of our playing squad that will inevitably follow relegation, maybe you could just pipe down? Relegation could damage our club for years.

It's all very well the EFL taking decisions like this but unless the PL accepts relegation (however it happens) then it could all go wrong and they'd have to think of something else. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Looking at the championship table there is an outside chance you might suddenly find there are 13 clubs who don't want to continue if the alternative is end now with PPG.

I thought the same given the 51% rule!

Looking more and more likely now that we're going to have to do our talking on the pitch. Just hoping for a boost with an almost full fit squad, and possible weakened squads in watford and brighton, if indeed some of their players are staying away. 

2 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

It's all very well the EFL taking decisions like this but unless the PL accepts relegation (however it happens) then it could all go wrong and they'd have to think of something else. 

They are trying to pressure the EPL into agreeing the same and their cronies on the FA board will no doubt join the party and apply the thumbscrews.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I thought the same given the 51% rule!

Lets see how "desperate to play" Leeds and West Brom vote if a vote on curtailment happens.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Lets see how "desperate to play" Leeds and West Brom vote if a vote on curtailment happens.

That whole statement appears very transparent actually. It says that the season must play through but most of the drift seems to centre on curtailment and PPG plus relegation.  I feel disillusioned because I now feel there will be little attempt to play.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I do not believe the FA has much influence with the EPL. I think maybe the owners of the top six do.

FA has to approve anything the EPL votes for if it involves changes to rules regarding relagation etc. Rick Parry (EFL chairman and driving this) sits on the FA Board. The same FA Board who supposedly intervened (via Greg Clarke) at the last meeting to say they would not sanction any option including voiding or no relegation. 

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

That whole statement appears very transparent actually. It says that the season must play through but most of the drift seems to centre on curtailment and PPG plus relegation.  I feel disillusioned because I now feel there will be little attempt to play.

Are you really surprised though? I always thought it was unlikely leagues below the EPL would finish, simply because there was unlikely to be the will/interest/money to make it happen.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Are you really surprised though? I always thought it was unlikely leagues below the EPL would finish, simply because there was unlikely to be the will/interest/money to make it happen.

I'm not surprised but I do find the general media acceptance that it is fair and reasonable for teams to be promoted and relegated on PPG in these circumstances quite surprising. The fact that actually voiding should have been the default option just gets completely overlooked, primarily because of the money.

• Like 1

FA has to approve anything the EPL votes for if it involves changes to rules regarding relagation etc. Rick Parry (EFL chairman and driving this) sits on the FA Board. The same FA Board who supposedly intervened (via Greg Clarke) at the last meeting to say they would not sanction any option including voiding or no relegation. 

While all that may be true Jim, I still fancy McCormick might have too much for Parry.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

While all that may be true Jim, I still fancy McCormick might have too much for Parry.

In what sense?

Good point made on twitter I hadn;t considered is that they are continuing with playoffs (i.e. to give teams a chace to play their way to promotion) but won;t give teams the chance to play their way out of relegation trouble.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

No I'm not King. I was merely trying to remain hopeful. But....I'm not ready to give up on the season or relegation and this feeling has surprised me (in the strength of it) because of the unfairness. 

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Good point made on twitter I hadn;t considered is that they are continuing with playoffs (i.e. to give teams a chace to play their way to promotion) but won;t give teams the chance to play their way out of relegation trouble.

It's very valid. I'm not sure the bottom teams in the championship, for example, would be happy watching play-offs determine promotion whilst they're not given an opportunity to prove they're good enough to stay up.

Re FA. They only have a veto on EPL if the EPL want them to. If the EPL went against the FA what could the FA do about it? Tell the EPL that they can’t play under FA rules? That they would not provide referees? That they would not accept the solidarity payments from the EPL? That any players registered at an EPL club can not play for England? All utter nonsense. 

The EPL decision was always going to be made based on the economic impact on the EPL and the top club’s European involvement, as that affects the perceived value of the EPL brand the most. 

Edited by Surfer

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Re FA. They only have a veto on EPL if the EPL want them to. If the EPL went against the FA what could the FA do about it? Tell the EPL that they can’t play under FA rules? That they would not provide referees? That they would not accept the solidarity payments from the EPL? That any players registered at an EPL club can not play for England? All utter nonsense. 

The EPL decision was always going to be made based on the economic impact on the EPL and the top club’s European involvement, as that affects the perceived value of the EPL brand the most. 

The FA holds a special share in the EPL which means they have to approve certain decisions (of which abandoning relegation would be one). So the EPL cannot ignore the FA. Its true to say that the FA cannot force the EPL to do something but it can prevent it from doing something. In practice, whether or not the FA would actually exercise any such veto if the EPL clubs had agreed a course of action is open to debate. 

How is a 23 team Premier League going to work next season? Relegation wont happen if the Championship does not finish. 

Both leagues have to finish its as simple as that. If they dont you cant have promotion or relegation as there is far too much money involved.

Integrity? Where is that? We were told we have to fulfil our contract of 19 home and 19 away so season has to finish. 

Any Championship club cant get promoted on 37 games played. 

At least we will keep the trophy for another year as no one has won the league if they dont finish.

1 minute ago, HairyTeeth said:

How is a 23 team Premier League going to work next season? Relegation wont happen if the Championship does not finish. 

Both leagues have to finish its as simple as that. If they dont you cant have promotion or relegation as there is far too much money involved.

Integrity? Where is that? We were told we have to fulfil our contract of 19 home and 19 away so season has to finish. 

Any Championship club cant get promoted on 37 games played. 

At least we will keep the trophy for another year as no one has won the league if they dont finish.

I think they are going to push this through unless taken to court and prevented from doing so. Lets hope the likes of Tranmere, Charlton and Stevenage don't take this and launch action. The EFL and FA will definitely push for promotion from the champ even if it finishes on PPG.

The more they attempt to contrive a finish the more obvious the unfairness becomes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The FA holds a special share in the EPL which means they have to approve certain decisions (of which abandoning relegation would be one). So the EPL cannot ignore the FA. Its true to say that the FA cannot force the EPL to do something but it can prevent it from doing something. In practice, whether or not the FA would actually exercise any such veto if the EPL clubs had agreed a course of action is open to debate. 

Yes they do. But back to who has leverage - the FA in theory may be in charge of the rules etc, but the EPL has the money. Lots of it. In any standoff the EPL has all the leverage as the FA need their money, and if any legal action is taken to prevent the EPL operating the FA will lose under restraint of trade principles - we are still in the EU for now. 

Edited by Surfer

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think they are going to push this through unless taken to court and prevented from doing so. Lets hope the likes of Tranmere, Charlton and Stevenage don't take this and launch action. The EFL and FA will definitely push for promotion from the champ even if it finishes on PPG.

If they did go down the PPG route then the start of next season will be in jeopardy. I dont think the EPL and EFL will want that.

I never ever in my life thought that my love of the game would diminish but it is being severely tested.

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Given the drop in TV money, the likelihood of next season being behind closed doors and the impact on our club revenue that causes, and the potential loss of several key members of our playing squad that will inevitably follow relegation, maybe you could just pipe down? Relegation could damage our club for years.

It would damage us much less than those who spend buckets of money hoping to achieve success. Remember we are a self-financing club. If we are playing behind closed doors so are the rest and we’ll have parachute payments that all bar those relegated with us will not have.  We will be selling off several key members of our squad in all likelihood whether we are relegated or not. So no I won’t pipe down.