Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

If this season is completed in the PL....

12 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Interesting. Even with Leeds track record of throwing it away no matter how late in the season? Do we deserve to be relegated when teams in the same situation (or worse) have escaped from such a position?

Leeds and West Brom have earned nothing yet. The biggest challenge (as we found out last year) is finally getting over the line. That’s dealing with pressure and expectation, something Leeds have shown they haven’t been able to do recently.

For there to be promotion and relegation, the league fixtures need to be completed. Whether that’s behind closed doors, at neutral venues, whatever...the games must be played....in both leagues.

5 hours ago, Ian said:

I have no idea how you have come to the conclusion that the top two have earned the right to play in the EPL, when their season is only 80% complete. I can understand the argument that if you are desperate to promote the top two and have no other option, the top two would be the most likely choices to gift promotion to given the current 7 point gap, but I just cannot reconcile this with them deserving it.

Would you suggest that Norwich and Leeds deserved promotion at this point last season over Sheff Utd?

image.png.54f8000b34c2ceb8faa6dba3079e7508.png

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:

I was quoting someone who mentioned changing the system permanently, therefore when I said that the top two had earnt the right, it was a reference to a complete season. How would we feel if we had to play a playoff last season to reach the Premier League having won the Championship comfortably over 46 games?

Leeds and West Brom clearly have not earnt the right the season.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:

I was quoting someone who mentioned changing the system permanently, therefore when I said that the top two had sent the right, it was a reference to a complete season. How would we feel if we had to play a playoff last season to reach the Premier League having won the Championship comfortably over 46 games?

Yep, understood - and hopefully you saw my apology later on in the thread!

5 hours ago, Ian said:

I have no idea how you have come to the conclusion that the top two have earned the right to play in the EPL, when their season is only 80% complete. I can understand the argument that if you are desperate to promote the top two and have no other option, the top two would be the most likely choices to gift promotion to given the current 7 point gap, but I just cannot reconcile this with them deserving it.

Would you suggest that Norwich and Leeds deserved promotion at this point last season over Sheff Utd?

This does somewhat beg the question if this happened a year ago, would we all be happy to accept not being promoted? Or would we think Ipswich were taking the **** if they tried to get relegation cancelled? 

2 hours ago, HairyTeeth said:

You are on a wind up right? Cant you count, the league is over 46 games not 37. No one has earnt anything in that league yet. 

We had to play 46 games to get promotion to fulfil our membership of 19 home and 19 away games in the EPL. Now there is a chance we dont fulfil our membership and get kicked out of the League playing 14 home games and 15 away games and we swap with someone who hasnt fulfilled their right to enter the EPL.

Still 27 points to play for in both leagues so no one has earnt promotion and no one has been relgated. Not hard to work out is it.

And yeah, see above, or re-read my original post 😉

Apologies for the double post, but I don't want people thinking I'm stupid.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

This does somewhat beg the question if this happened a year ago, would we all be happy to accept not being promoted? Or would we think Ipswich were taking the **** if they tried to get relegation cancelled? 

No, of course we wouldn't be happy.

I am sure we would all be delighted to be given promotion for free, given we knew exactly how tight it was at that point and we certainly were not sure of promotion. And that's really the point isn't it?

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I would have thought it unfair on the bottom 3 in the Prem. Not bothered about Ipswich TBH.

Still think there's some mileage in the bottom 3/top 3 mini league to decide matters.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

No we would have been frustrated and unhappy if the league had been abandoned with us on the brink of promotion. But by the same token I think wewould all have acknolwedged that had we been handed automatic promotion via PPG it would have been exceptionally lucky and unfair on the teams chasing us.

18 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE:

I was quoting someone who mentioned changing the system permanently, therefore when I said that the top two had earnt the right, it was a reference to a complete season. How would we feel if we had to play a playoff last season to reach the Premier League having won the Championship comfortably over 46 games?

Apologies from me too. I thought at the time your post was a bit strange and out of character. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jim Smith said:

No we would have been frustrated and unhappy if the league had been abandoned with us on the brink of promotion. But by the same token I think wewould all have acknolwedged that had we been handed automatic promotion via PPG it would have been exceptionally lucky and unfair on the teams chasing us.

Maybe.

For me I kind of feel the opposite- if we stayed up via cancelled relegation this season I'd suggest we've been incredibly lucky.

7 hours ago, Ian said:

A really very compelling argument, very well made. In stark contrast to the usual **** on here.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11991633/fa-tells-womens-super-league-and-championship-clubs-that-season-will-end-early

Interesting that 2 of the 3 options being promoted here are options we have been told by the FA are not allowed for the premier league/championship. 

Absolute proof if any was needed that motivation behind Project Restart is entirely financially driven with a total disregard for all other concerns. Or else these same options would be laid out before the Premier League sides.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 2

I just saw the list of supposed misdemeanours by PL footballers.

God, I despair...

■    Manchester City defender Kyle Walker was reported to have hosted a party involving two **** workers and then travelled to South Yorkshire to visit his sister and parents at different addresses. He has written to some of the club's supporters to apologise.

Everton striker Moise Kean is set to be disciplined by the club after being filmed at a house party.

■    Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish was pictured at the scene of a car crash, after going to "see a friend". He apologised and said he was "deeply embarrassed".

■    Tottenham's Serge Aurier and Moussa Sissoko apologised for training together despite the coronavirus restrictions.

■    Spurs manager Jose Mourinho "accepted his actions were not in line with protocol" after being pictured holding a one-on-one training session in a park with midfielder Tanguy Ndombele.

■    Arsenal spoke to all their players after Alexandre Lacazette, David Luiz, Nicolas Pepe and Granit Xhaka were pictured breaking social distancing guidelines.

■    Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount was pictured having a kickabout with West Ham's Declan Rice despite team-mate Callum Hudson-Odoi testing positive for coronavirus and Mount being told to self-isolate for 14 days.

■    Wolves midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White was pictured on social media at a party. The 20-year-old is facing disciplinary action from the club.

• Like 1

Just to add another to the list, a Spurs player has had his haircut, and being the intelligent lad he is, has posted a photo of him and his hairdresser on Instagram 

• Like 2

Re : so if there are to be extra games on TV and existing TV rights could be respected, does that mean the EPL will be paid the full amount due to it for this season? If not, why not? Will the BBC / ITV be paying the EPL for those extra games? If not, why not?

• Mr Dowden said talks about the Premier League playing behind closed doors could create a "win-win" by allowing additional matches to be broadcast free-to-air. He said existing TV rights could be respected, but concerns about competing with matchday attendances would be removed

I think we need to prey for disruption to games so the season gets cancelled and voided. Then we get another crack at the premiership. Football should not be played without fans. 

EFL continuing to push/back clubs into trying to agree PPG with full promotion and relegation based on the options it is rumoured they are offering league 1 clubs a vote on. Their entire approach seems to be solely geared to trying to ensure they can push for teams to be promoted to the premier league.

it stinks to be honest. PPG is a false, made up concept that now just seems accepted as the “sporting merit” solution when it’s the polar opposite. 

• Like 2

The EPL and EFL are separate entities and it is up to either how they wish to promote or relegate. As much as we hate the thought of Leeds replacing us having not completed their games I don't think there is much we can do about it. Fulham may have a case, we don't. Any legal action we take will be on the basis of the EPL not completing and resorting to a PPG basis instead.

Our only hope is to do it on the pitch and I would rather pray that this virus diminishes and we can complete and stay up rather than more disruption, death and economic hardship. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Re : so if there are to be extra games on TV and existing TV rights could be respected, does that mean the EPL will be paid the full amount due to it for this season? If not, why not? Will the BBC / ITV be paying the EPL for those extra games? If not, why not?

• Mr Dowden said talks about the Premier League playing behind closed doors could create a "win-win" by allowing additional matches to be broadcast free-to-air. He said existing TV rights could be respected, but concerns about competing with matchday attendances would be removed

Does this mean the £340 million rebate being talked about last week is off the table?

I can understand why the TV companies would want that given presumably no pub and club subscriptions plus potentially reduced domestic subscriptions if free to air and being mindful of out of contract customers who may well not return.

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And yeah, see above, or re-read my original post 😉

Apologies for the double post, but I don't want people thinking I'm stupid.

Apologies from me to. No worries. Lockdown, heat etc....... is shortening my time to the red mist....... 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just to add another to the list, a Spurs player has had his haircut, and being the intelligent lad he is, has posted a photo of him and his hairdresser on Instagram 

Hardly surprising they want to sign Max Aarons. 

When they were sorting out the penalties at Spurs the woman next to me said that she hoped Aurier would be taking one. Sums him up perfectly. He appears to be just as bad at being a human being as he is at being a right back 

Personally, I have had enough of this farce. The EPL should relegate us as we could have no complaints as whether the season is completed or not that is our fate. We can then focus on preparing for the nee season whenever that is.

12 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Personally, I have had enough of this farce. The EPL should relegate us as we could have no complaints as whether the season is completed or not that is our fate. We can then focus on preparing for the nee season whenever that is.

Cheers Nostradamus...................

20 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Just been reading a book about Churchill and the start of the WW2, your attitude is definitely that of Chamberlain and Halifax - just give in now because of the apparent overwhelming odds.......just as well we had Churchill to spell out the truth - it isn't over until it's over. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just been reading a book about Churchill and the start of the WW2, your attitude is definitely that of Chamberlain and Halifax - just give in now because of the apparent overwhelming odds.......just as well we had Churchill to spell out the truth - it isn't over until it's over. 

I have developed your optimistic outlook on our season LDC (even pre pandemic) and I still believe we will get 15 points from our remaining matches and at least 3 (possibly 4) won't get that amount. I know it's mad but you have to keep believing until it's impossible. And Farke will believe too. 

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The film Darkest Hour shows up Chamberlain and Halifax brilliantly