Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

If, if we go down.....

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Pukki, for me, is in the same sort of position as Grant Holt was- due to his age and his position, he's worth far more to us than a team will be willing to pay.

He's 30 years old now- teams just don't spend £20m + on players of that age.

Never suggested that they would. They might well pay a hefty amount more than us to Teemu Pukki though; at his age is he going to turn it down? All guesswork anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Hope we keep him, Emi and Cantwell. Cash in on one of the full-backs and win the league... not too much to ask, is it?

Just now, hogesar said:

I think when you consider the size of a football, the size of the goal, and the size of the posts, then a couple of inches can generally be deemed 'unlucky'. Even if it is deemed off-target.

By that logic though, a perfectly hit shot into the top corner is 'lucky' as a couple of inches and it doesn't go in.

Also there are a myriad of factors to consider- for instance a shot the hits the outside of the post and was likely covered by the keeper is no equal to something that hits the underside of the bar and just bounces the wrong side of the goal line.

Just now, king canary said:

By that logic though, a perfectly hit shot into the top corner is 'lucky' as a couple of inches and it doesn't go in.

Also there are a myriad of factors to consider- for instance a shot the hits the outside of the post and was likely covered by the keeper is no equal to something that hits the underside of the bar and just bounces the wrong side of the goal line.

Of course, but when you're second in the table for it surrounded by all the top teams in the League who create considerably more chances than we do with a higher quality - it isn't a massive leap to point towards a little bad luck.

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Never suggested that they would. They might well pay a hefty amount more than us to Teemu Pukki though; at his age is he going to turn it down? All guesswork anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Hope we keep him, Emi and Cantwell. Cash in on one of the full-backs and win the league... not too much to ask, is it?

But for Pukki to be paid a hefty amount we have to agree to sell him. Sure they could try and turn his head but if I'm honest I'm not that worried about it. 

Just now, king canary said:

But for Pukki to be paid a hefty amount we have to agree to sell him. Sure they could try and turn his head but if I'm honest I'm not that worried about it. 

I'm sure you're right. He seems settled enough. Another hatful of goals next season. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course, but when you're second in the table for it surrounded by all the top teams in the League who create considerably more chances than we do with a higher quality - it isn't a massive leap to point towards a little bad luck.

Think this is going to be an agree to disagree one- I just don't think hitting the wood work is bad luck, it is just slightly wayward finishing. 

7 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I'm sure you're right. He seems settled enough. Another hatful of goals next season. 👍

Fingers crossed. I'm hoping this break may help him recharge and find his shooting boots again.

Must bear in mind that our players will all be taking big wage cuts in relegation. They will be tempted by moves away We could also be moving into a climate where the championship has a wage cap coming in. As I understand it, it won't apply for a year but if it happens we will be expected to bring the wage bill down to between £15m and £20m within a year or so.

I find it really hard to read how our players may react to the situation. Some may just be pleased to be playing again and happy to sit it out for a season. Others may not. I can see the likes of Leeds and West Brom and the lower half prem teams trying to exploit our situation to be honest. We have lots of good players in low wages by prem standards and who will be moving onto even lower wages if we go down. They can easily offer them premier league football and double or treble their wages.

On the plus side we have signed Sinani, Sitti and Macullum already plus there were some signs of Drmic coming to life a bit in recent weeks. Even in a doomsday scenario where we lost all 7 of our players likely to be in demand (which I don't think will happen) and not including any youngsters coming back off loan spells (except Gilmour) then we would still have the following squad which ought to be very competitive in a championship that will include a number of clubs who are struggling financially.

Krul, Mcgovern

Byram, Klose, Hanley, Zimmerman, McCullum, Heise, Raggett

Tettey, Trybull, McClean, Vrancic, Sitti, Gilmour, Hernandez, 

Drmic, Idah, Sinani

• Like 1

There is a Four Four Two article out now detailing the wealth of the EPL owners. There are only 3 teams with owners worth less than £900m - Burnley, Watford and Norwich. The gap between these three teams and the other 17 is huge - over £800m.

This talk about transfer fees coming down in the EPL is premature. Yes, it might impact lower down the pyramid but multi-billionaires owning clubs not threatened by relegation will be prepared to pay what they need to maintain the gravy train.

So, to the OP's question - I don't think we'll have to sell anyone. I think we'll still get enough TV money to tide us over. But if we did, the ones I would be less miffed about losing are Aarons and Godfrey - both will, I think, bring in big money based on their potential and I think both playa game which will develop more in a better quality team, so I think they will both need to move on anyway.

Cantwell could be blindingly good now in the Champs. I don't see Pukki moving, but I suspect we will get offers for Buendia we won't be able to turn down.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

This talk about transfer fees coming down in the EPL is premature. Yes, it might impact lower down the pyramid but multi-billionaires owning clubs not threatened by relegation will be prepared to pay what they need to maintain the gravy train.

But what they need to pay will potentially come down due to other clubs needing to sell.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

But what they need to pay will potentially come down due to other clubs needing to sell.

The positive is that if Leeds go up they will pay over the odds as the love to overspend when they get in to the big league.

I seem to remember that they wanted Buendia also so wonder if Bielsa might come back in for him, if so hope we may them pay big.

Would be galling though to see Buendia turn out for that lot.

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

There is a Four Four Two article out now detailing the wealth of the EPL owners. There are only 3 teams with owners worth less than £900m - Burnley, Watford and Norwich. The gap between these three teams and the other 17 is huge - over £800m.

So, to the OP's question - I don't think we'll have to sell anyone. I think we'll still get enough TV money to tide us over. But if we did, the ones I would be less miffed about losing are Aarons and Godfrey - both will, I think, bring in big money based on their potential and I think both playa game which will develop more in a better quality team, so I think they will both need to move on anyway.

Cantwell could be blindingly good now in the Champs. I don't see Pukki moving, but I suspect we will get offers for Buendia we won't be able to turn down.

That doesn't sound quite right, we are the paupers of the league but Bournemouth are only owned by an oligarch worth ~£100m... Looking at Wikipedia (the totally accurate and trustworthy font of ALL knowledge) it also says sheff utd owner is only worth £255m... What is even more depressing is that our owners would probably only be the 20th richest in the champs even allowing for Leeds & wba promoted going on this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

I'm not depressed because of the fact we're poor, more that that is the way that football has gone in this country. If anything it just makes me prouder of our achievements.

• Like 1

I think our fullbacks are absolutely vital to how we play. When Lewis and Aaron's came in and really clicked, we went from a tippy tappy predictable team often keeping possession for the sake of it, to one which could switch between that and soaking up pressure and rapidly hitting teams on the break. Byram is a very good defender and intelligent footballer but I think we'd have lost a weapon that really unnerves the opposition if Aarons goes.

For me, him and Godfrey are the players who will make it to the very top and out of the two Godfrey is the most dispensable.

6 hours ago, cornish sam said:

That doesn't sound quite right, we are the paupers of the league but Bournemouth are only owned by an oligarch worth ~£100m... Looking at Wikipedia (the totally accurate and trustworthy font of ALL knowledge) it also says sheff utd owner is only worth £255m... What is even more depressing is that our owners would probably only be the 20th richest in the champs even allowing for Leeds & wba promoted going on this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

I'm not depressed because of the fact we're poor, more that that is the way that football has gone in this country. If anything it just makes me prouder of our achievements.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/where-sheffield-united-rank-premier-league-rich-list-compared-likes-liverpool-and-norwich-city-2856599

Sorry, not a FourFourTwo article but from the Sheffield Star, so maybe not entirely accurate, but the point is still valid (and it may be as accurate as Wikipedia!)

One cause for concern is what is going to be the scope of the market of available players and are teams going to be buying players across the globe, Europe or even just domestically. Reduced scouting capability? There could be more pressure from other clubs recruiting our players. If we need to get positions filled I feel our normal recruitment will be hampered.

Edited by KiwiScot

See it's being reported that Arsenal are in for Aarons plus Bayern Munich and previously stated Spurs.

Either his agent is good or there will be a fee circling which is always good for price, or at least means we get the buy out valuation that I assume was added to his contract when he signed again.

In order of likelihood I would say Aarons godfrey Cantwell buendia lewis Pukki.

I dont think we will sell more than 2,or 3 but who knows how desperate things will be by then.

Bound to be interest in Pukki but I just keep thinking he might have more than 1 eye on Finland and the euros so will want to be playing regularly not bench warming.

But the 6 above cost us what £6-10m? Even allowing for lower transfer fees we would get double that for each one pretty much at least with perhaps Pukkis value being affected by age.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

I dont think we will sell more than 2,or 3 but who knows how desperate things will be by then.

Bound to be interest in Pukki but I just keep thinking he might have more than 1 eye on Finland and the euros so will want to be playing regularly not bench warming.

But the 6 above cost us what £6-10m? Even allowing for lower transfer fees we would get double that for each one pretty much at least with perhaps Pukkis value being affected by age.

Fair point about Pukki.

Let's be honest, he's not going to get dropped by Finland so doesn't matter whether he's playing in the PL or Championship and of course he was playing internationally when we were in the Championship.

The interesting thing in all of this is that it was suggested that the new contracts players signed had clauses of fixed values for sale, if true then they don't change just because of the coronavirus situation and will still need to be met (in theory).

10 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

This sounds about right to me.

Aarons has definitly been the most talked about.

I lost any real hope of keeping Godfrey once it turned out he was with Rio Ferdinand's agency- we all saw how 'proactive' they were with Jacob Murphy.

Cantwell will likely be in demand as a young, English, cretive player who can score goals ticks a lot of boxes. The question is whether he'd end up at a big 6 type club or an Everton/Wolves level.