Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

If, if we go down.....

And we have to lose a couple of players, who would you be happy for us to lose.

Clearly will depend on what our financial hole looks like as that will dictate how many we have to move on but in the hope it's just a couple for me it would be Aarons and Cantwell.

Byram was superb when he played and kept Aarons out and I think keeping Buendia over Cantwell would be better suited for the Championship.

• Like 1

I hope the club can cut its cloth accordingly and it is only a couple players but I fear in the current climate and current financial state it will be many more. 

You never know we might not be relegated. There's a lonnng way to go yet.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And we have to lose a couple of players, who would you be happy for us to lose.

Clearly will depend on what our financial hole looks like as that will dictate how many we have to move on but in the hope it's just a couple for me it would be Aarons and Cantwell.

Byram was superb when he played and kept Aarons out and I think keeping Buendia over Cantwell would be better suited for the Championship.

nope, it will be about those who get better offers in the PL, as I am sure almost all will have release clauses

and it will be about who the others want, rather than who we are happy to lose

I don't think either that there will be the financial hole as last time - the club will have learnt it's lesson from that and will have budgeted for relegation

however I don't think Cantwell would be the greatest loss, and both Aarons and Godfrey would probably be looking to step up - though I trust our ability to find the likes of Byram to be up to Championship requirements

Not sure if there will be the sort of bids we were discussing this summer and with Webber already making it clear we budget for finish 20th we shouldn't be under much if any additional financial pressure to sell.

Cant see release clauses being hit unless they're unusually low. Again seems unlikely in the current climate.

Surprised Bill doesnt think "Cantwell would be the greatest loss" when he has arguably adjusted to Prem football better than Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not sure if there will be the sort of bids we were discussing this summer and with Webber already making it clear we budget for finish 20th we shouldn't be under much if any additional financial pressure to sell.

Cant see release clauses being hit unless they're unusually low. Again seems unlikely in the current climate.

Surprised Bill doesnt think "Cantwell would be the greatest loss" when he has arguably adjusted to Prem football better than Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey.

Exactly this. If there are any release clauses, the fees in those clauses will reflect the market before all this, not what the market will likely be afterwards. 

The OP simply asks which two players would we be happy to lose if we got relegated.............

Philip Heisse and Mason Bloomfield for me. 

Assuming this is out of the five talented youngsters who are all attracting attention (Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey, Lewis) from the big boys, I'd say Godfrey is probably the least indispensable. He's probably the furthest away from being the finished article as he's still pretty raw, and with Zimmermann, Hanley and Klose still around, I feel that in the short-term we'd feel his loss the least.

However, it's a horribly negative question and way of looking at it, as every answer will basically include a criticism of some of our best players. I have nothing against Godfrey, and would obviously like to keep him.

Would love to keep Cantwell tbh. Acquitted himself very well in the toughest league in the world and would be fantastic again in the Chump.

As much as I like our young defenders defensively we are still pretty poor, so if we have to sell a couple and we could end up collectively stronger in that position, if we spend wisely.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Assuming this is out of the five talented youngsters who are all attracting attention (Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey, Lewis) from the big boys, I'd say Godfrey is probably the least indispensable. He's probably the furthest away from being the finished article as he's still pretty raw, and with Zimmermann, Hanley and Klose still around, I feel that in the short-term we'd feel his loss the least.

However, it's a horribly negative question and way of looking at it, as every answer will basically include a criticism of some of our best players. I have nothing against Godfrey, and would obviously like to keep him.

I wasn't intending it to be a negative post, more a realistic one and just wondered what people though.

If people want to make it in to a negative post then sobeit but that wasnt the intention.

I think the pandemic has changed everything. Money is going to be in very short supply, transfer fees are going to be driven down and all teams who have their best young players under contract will likely hold on to them until such a time as the larger fees and money return to the system.

I would not be surprised if we keep hold of everyone in the circumstances.

Picking the player we could most easily absorb the loss? I think goal scoring midfielders are hard to come by, so not Todd. Emi is a special talent. I also think our system is so dependent on the width offered by our full backs. So for me Ben Godfrey. A great talent, lots more to come from him but I can't help but think he can flatter to deceive. 

• Like 1

well since we have replaced Lewis already, I'd say him.

Buendia would be hardest to replace. We would need to reinvent our style i fear as he is key to us actually unlocking defences with all our tip tippy football

I think everything will get turned upside down because of the revenue shortfalls originating out of the pandemic. We may lose none, or all five, depending on our cashflow and the state of the transfer market. The most likely players to leave IMO would be Cantwell, because he has shown he can score goals in the EPL, and Aarons, because he has pace. 

I think Max will be the most in demand. He has all the attributes of the modern fullback. I think Ben leaving would negatively affect the team the least. .....if TK can stay fit. If Emi was scoring in the Prem then hed be worth an absolute fortune...but he isnt ,so he isn't, wouldnt be surprised if we dont get any interest that would turn our heads on Emi. Jamal has done well but has occasionally looked tired,  but then  as  an established first pick international , has played a lot in the,last couple of seasons.

Id like to keep them all but am confident whatever happens will be as well thought out and as much to the Clubs benefit as possible. We were in decent shape going I.to this covid shoite, we should be in as good a position as possible coming out of it.

A very reasonable question to ask, but if relegation happens and it is probably more likely than not it will be like no other relegation's we have ever had. After a season in the PL we would normally be in a half decent financial state and a couple of years worth of parachute payments to look forward to. Paying back some of the TV money and this seasons ticket money will have damaged that. We would be going into a Division that may have virtually no income and question marks over the parachute payments or  at least the size of them. It is probable that transfer values will have been depressed and future transfer dealings will require lower fees and wages. Through no fault of our own we will be in a mess but not as big a mess as most of the other league clubs albeit only in the short term. That being the case for financial reasons i fear losing most if not all our better players, we will need the fees,we will not get as much as we had hoped, we will not be able to afford the wages and with no spectators the club will probably have to pay back the season ticket money they have already banked

Godfrey snd Aaron’s probably the most replaceable as we have proven replacements for them in the squad already. 

I fear we will lose a lot of players though and won’t get the money for them we would have done. Prem clubs, especially the newly promoted ones, will be picking over our bones. 

Zimmerman,Klose and Hanley....with one of Famewo,Bushiri,Raggett as 4th choice is ok at Championship level.

If Rio Ferdinand touts Godfrey around and we got decent money in for him then its recoverable.

In terms of who do we have the best cover for, then Aarons replacement in Byram is better than the level of replacements for others.

...yet we also know how effective the likes of Hernandez and Steipermann were in the Championship ,so arguably Cantwell could be covered

Parachute payment for next season will have been cast iron and for season after.  However there is contention they are unfair and some would like payment to be revised.  This is for the future but level for current season will have been agreed before season started therefore can look forward to parachute payments.

Regarding sales Godfrey not yet proved himself at CB as evidenced by our poor defensive record.  Lewis and Aarons positions covered.  Puuki an absolute necessity however.  Emi will want out but has not proved himself in PL may go to minor PL club but not for a fee we might expect.

40 minutes ago, pete said:

Parachute payment for next season will have been cast iron and for season after.  However there is contention they are unfair and some would like payment to be revised.  This is for the future but level for current season will have been agreed before season started therefore can look forward to parachute payments.

Regarding sales Godfrey not yet proved himself at CB as evidenced by our poor defensive record.  Lewis and Aarons positions covered.  Puuki an absolute necessity however.  Emi will want out but has not proved himself in PL may go to minor PL club but not for a fee we might expect.

I see where you are coming from but i think in the short to medium time frame nothing is set in stone. The parachute payments are linked to the TV money. Already the broadcasters want £300 m back because the product is not the same for the last 9 games of the season even if they are played, goodness knows what they will want back for next season when there may be no spectators for the whole season and pubs and clubs will be cancelling there expensive subscriptions. I am surethere will be payments but less than we thought.

46 minutes ago, pete said:

Was going to say the same about parachute payments. In a way this may actually be the best season to get relegated as everyone else in the division will most likely have massive financial blackholes whereas we will have the guaranteed parachute payments and potential income from a couple of proven prem quality players... Yes it may be unfair and yes it will probably be amended in future, but we will benefit from it for now.

Edit @Yorkshire Canary the parachute payments are not linked to the TV money as a percentage, they are at a set value, so we are guaranteed that amount based on the last set of deals. If the deals are amended then it would not be the parachute payments we receive that take the hit, rather the next set of them.

Edited by cornish sam

Aarons and Lewis are the ones we have potential in house replacements for already in Byram and McCallum.

Buendia and Pukki would be the toughest to replace on our budget. 

I think Max looks best equipped for the Prem but Jamal not far behind. I think they will attract the most attention.

Ben still has a bit to learn but I hope he stays as I think he is a natural born leader, and you always need those in the club.

Not sure we would get offered enough to tempt us for EMI or Teemu but wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly large offer come in for Todd as he seems to be able to step up to each challenge as it presents itself.

Would love them all to stay but reckon we'll lose the full backs.

It's inevitable that we'll lose some. As has been mentioned, the two full backs will be in demand but I'm surprised to read some of the comments about Cantwell and Buendia. Cantwell has scored goals in the (best) worst team in the league and Buendia's stats show him to be outstanding - other than he doesn't score goals. In a better side he'll get better chances and I imagine that will be quickly remedied. I'd suggest those two would be the most difficult to replace, perhaps their talents will be better appreciated when they are playing for someone else. 

Godfrey will have suitors. He's big, strong and quick. His positioning has been called into question a few times but that's a discipline that's harder to master when you're conceding the volume of goals and are as exposed as he is most weeks. Essentially, defenders get pulled about by the better attacks. His pace gets him out of trouble plenty but I could see him developing into a top defender at somewhere like, Arsenal? 

Pukki would be a worry for me, one big contract left and will his stock ever be higher?

Who knows? Will we be under additional pressure to sell following the COVID issues? Will there be a unilateral drop in values that mean we have to sell more of our assets than we initially thought? Are we looking at decimation of the squad and back-to-back relegations? Will we bite the bullet, wait for the market to recover and keep everyone (without release clauses)? If players DO have release clauses are they now at outlandish levels because the bottom might fall out of the market? Is £2.5m the new £25m? Will the hambag be opened? 

It does seem strange when you read these threads as it would appear that we have 3 top quality premier league defenders (Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey) but the reality is that our defence has been poor all season.! I've no doubt they are all brilliant young players (although I think Aarons is by far the best) but it does show that it's not just about skill and potential. The combination of all 3 has just been too much this season and we have suffered from a lack of knowledge and experience alongside them. That's why I think we've actually been stronger with Byram in the team.

Probably a similar thing with midfield when you look at both Buendia and Cantwell but they needed more quality and reliable support across the rest of midfield.

We've been so close to having an excellent team this year it's SO frustrating!

PS I'd sacrifice Aarons as we have relacement and sell whoever is most unhappy about being in the Championship out of Cantwell and Buendia!

Edited by rock bus
duplicate

6 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It does seem strange when you read these threads as it would appear that we have 3 top quality premier league defenders (Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey) but the reality is that our defence has been poor all season.! I've no doubt they are all brilliant young players (although I think Aarons is by far the best) but it does show that it's not just about skill and potential. The combination of all 3 has just been too much this season and we have suffered from a lack of knowledge and experience alongside them. That's why I think we've actually been stronger with Byram in the team.

Probably a similar thing with midfield when you look at both Buendia and Cantwell but they needed more quality and reliable support across the rest of midfield.

We've been so close to having an excellent team this year it's SO frustrating!

What really surprised me (to the point I had to go check for myself) was that we were 2nd in the table for hitting the woodwork this season, with only Man City ahead of us. 13 times, to be exact. That, coupled with our horrendous injury crisis in defence at the start of the season and you can easily make a case for us being 10 points off with better luck.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What really surprised me (to the point I had to go check for myself) was that we were 2nd in the table for hitting the woodwork this season, with only Man City ahead of us. 13 times, to be exact. That, coupled with our horrendous injury crisis in defence at the start of the season and you can easily make a case for us being 10 points off with better luck.

A hill I will die on is that hitting the woodwork isn't unlucky, it just means you missed.

34 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Pukki would be a worry for me, one big contract left and will his stock ever be higher?

Pukki, for me, is in the same sort of position as Grant Holt was- due to his age and his position, he's worth far more to us than a team will be willing to pay.

He's 30 years old now- teams just don't spend £20m + on players of that age.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

A hill I will die on is that hitting the woodwork isn't unlucky, it just means you missed.

I think when you consider the size of a football, the size of the goal, and the size of the posts, then a couple of inches can generally be deemed 'unlucky'. Even if it is deemed off-target.

• Like 1