Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Training starts tomorrow

7 minutes ago, Orly said:

That's the real question isn't it, which we current have different answers to.

But, IMO, the risk is so negligibly low for healthy people, that all of our efforts should be focused on protecting the vulnerable (i.e shielding them, rather than hoping that we can get rid of the virus by social distancing and isolation alone), rather than restricting the activities of the healthy.

Always good to hear counter arguments though.

There are so many unanswered questions about the virus. Only today the loss of smell/taste is now an official symptom. We had a member of staff at work who had only this symptom but was told he couldn’t self isolate, would have to take the time off unpaid and so continued working, potentially infecting dozens more. There are mixed messages about who is most vulnerable. Is it those with underlying health issues (of which there are footballers with such issues), the elderly (Roy Hodgson is 72 along with many other backroom and technical staff that will be much older than footballers - and there’s no clear definition of the most risky age), certain ethnic groups etc etc. So many unknowns still with the virus and who is most affected and most at risk.

For these reasons, I ask, why take the risk? It just doesn’t make sense (and contrary to many bleating, latest reports show football has enough money to survive).

But restrictions worked. And whether professional sports people have any more right than us is up for debate.

Personally, I do not see why it is acceptable whereas in my town of Redruth, population c13K, there has not been one recorded case let alone hospitalisation or death, so why the lads cannot have a game of football in the park has not been proved.

In fact it goes beyond NCFC and football but in attitude and respect.

So why shouldn't a privileged group of fans be allowed in the stadiums. Or a privileged group of diners be allowed in a restaurant. Or a privileged group of drinkers be allowed in a pub. Or even a privileged few families be allowed to meet up....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Non contact training in small groups with social distancing.

Premiership seem desperate to force this all through regardless.

Anyone really believes that is going to happen staying in small groups 

What goes on at all the Premiership training grounds stays there no ones going to be any the wiser if they stick to the rules or not

14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

There are so many unanswered questions about the virus. Only today the loss of smell/taste is now an official symptom. We had a member of staff at work who had only this symptom but was told he couldn’t self isolate, would have to take the time off unpaid and so continued working, potentially infecting dozens more. There are mixed messages about who is most vulnerable. Is it those with underlying health issues (of which there are footballers with such issues), the elderly (Roy Hodgson is 72 along with many other backroom and technical staff that will be much older than footballers - and there’s no clear definition of the most risky age), certain ethnic groups etc etc. So many unknowns still with the virus and who is most affected and most at risk.

For these reasons, I ask, why take the risk? It just doesn’t make sense (and contrary to many bleating, latest reports show football has enough money to survive).

Well there's a very simple reason to, but it's based on the following supposition: 

The virus is - quite possibly - never going away.   It may NEVER get any better.  The vulnerable may ALWAYS be at risk.  And so then the question becomes, how long do we adjust / restrict our way of living?

Granted, that's a really bleak thought, but if you consider how in the grand scheme of things, we're one misplaced asteroid away from becoming human paper mache, or one despot away from nuclear war.   

I think it's important to keep living, before the chance to live is taken out of our hands entirely (by death from covid, or any other numerous causes).   Economic arguments pale into insignificance by comparison of the fact that to have a life, you have to live.

I like this quote from some old Roman dude called Epictetus who said "I cannot escape death; but cannot I escape the dread of it? Must I die trembling and lamenting?”.   

To clarify - I'm not accusing you of 'trembling' at all - you've been going to work as a key worker - but I think it's a great phrase to be borne in mind in this pandemic situation.

Edited by Orly

11 minutes ago, Orly said:

Well there's a very simple reason to, but it's based on the following supposition: 

The virus is - quite possibly - never going away.   It may NEVER get any better.  The vulnerable may ALWAYS be at risk.  And so then the question becomes, how long do we adjust / restrict our way of living?

Granted, that's a really bleak thought, but if you consider how in the grand scheme of things, we're one misplaced asteroid away from becoming human paper mache, or one despot away from nuclear war.   

I think it's important to keep living, before the chance to live is taken out of our hands entirely (by death from covid, or any other numerous causes).   Economic arguments pale into insignificance by comparison of the fact that to have a life, you have to live.

I like this quote from some old Roman dude called Epictetus who said "I cannot escape death; but cannot I escape the dread of it? Must I die trembling and lamenting?”.   

To clarify - I'm not accusing you of 'trembling' at all - you've been going to work as a key worker - but I think it's a great phrase to be borne in mind in this pandemic situation.

Surely this is more about every man and his dog getting on with their lives rather than a select few footballers?

What does the rest of society gain by the PL being played. What's the advantages to us to make it worth while?

I'm really interested and not picking a fight Orly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Surely this is more about every man and his dog getting on with their lives rather than a select few footballers?

What does the rest of society gain by the PL being played. What's the advantages to us to make it worth while?

I'm really interested and not picking a fight Orly.

You're welcome to query anything I post Nutty - just because we may or may not hold differing opinions to each other doesn't mean there has to be any ill intent.

Whilst sporting events are of course "unimportant" in and of themselves when compared to life and death scenarios, the resuming of the premier league (and others) would serve as a paradigm of how we can triumph over the adversity of this virus and return to some semblance of normal life.

We can't control the virus (yet, contrary to Boris' slogan), but we can control what we do and how we act in the presence of this virus.    

Edited by Orly

So is it important for football to finish this season? Or should I say, football for the elite.

Every league up to L1 has finished. I very much doubt the Championship or L1 will really be bothered either as it is going to cost them a lot of money to finish.

So we are talking about the elite in life once again.

Sport, we were told as we spent over £9Bn on the 2012 Olympics, is for all. Well that didn't happen. The surge after 2012 did involve many more taking up a sport but in many cases just allowed the organisers to charge a lot more. The talk is of the London Marathon field being just the elites this year. The elites who get paid a million to run. That race is for the thousands and not Cram's buddies.

19 minutes ago, Orly said:

You're welcome to query anything I post Nutty - just because we may or may not hold differing opinions to each other doesn't mean there has to be any ill intent.

Whilst sporting events are of course "unimportant" in and of themselves when compared to life and death scenarios, the resuming of the premier league (and others) would serve as a paradigm of how we can triumph over the adversity of this virus and return to some semblance of normal life.

We can't control the virus (yet, contrary to Boris' slogan), but we can control what we do and how we act in the presence of this virus.    

Thanks Orly.

I don't see the PL being played in a different way professional football has ever been played before as a triumph and a return to some semblance of normal life.

I see it as  PL football somehow getting different rules than the rest of society. But for who's benefit?

Edited by nutty nigel

Boris will see this as a bit of a coup if the PL restarts, not to mention a few quid in the treasury coffers. He has a habit of getting what he wants whether it Brexit or anything else.

My objection to playing football was more ethical and the indirect risk to the non playing people involved. Some players have hardly covered themselves in glory over this period, and yet another accusation out today. I don't have much sympathy or concern tbh. Mrs Pants was probably at more risk in a busy M&S foodhall and Wilcos today!

Hopefully the season will restart soon as it will mean continuing the more positive reports around the virus of late, and that's more important to me than football or NCFC.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Troy Deeney is saying that he will refuse to go in for training due to his concerns of it not being safe for his young family. I wonder if any others will take his lead and refuse to play. Their prerogative imo. But it will surely impact their teams should this season be resumed. 

Deeney has nicely put what I was struggling to get across in the posts above.

I simply don’t understand taking the risk. As he says, he isn’t willing to put his young child’s life at risk. Only 300ish people at each behind-closed-door game? They all then go home to their loved ones. It only takes one mistake in the testing, one change in this virus we don’t fully understand at the moment anyway, the ramifications could be horrible.

Play when it is safe to do so, and when it isn’t going against the governments own advice. I’m baffled by the general acceptance of the restart