Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Training starts tomorrow

2 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Non contact training in small groups with social distancing.

Premiership seem desperate to force this all through regardless.

regardless of what ?

Well in all honesty, I think if nothing goes wrong with the "R" going up in the next week or so then, rightly or wrongly, we are going to be playing football in the very near future.

And once it gets started it's going to take a major catastrophe to stop it from finishing.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

regardless of what ?

Hopefully we’ll never have to find out

31 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Hopefully we’ll never have to find out

and hopefully, no one catches the virus on the bus, tube, trains etc - or working in shops, driving buses, hospitals, teachers, police etc

or even kids going to school

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

and hopefully, no one catches the virus on the bus, tube, trains etc - or working in shops, driving buses, hospitals, teachers, police etc

or even kids going to school

Indeed.

None of the people in your examples are being forced into close contact though.

Stay alert - unless you’re a footballer in which case we’re going to make you continue your anti social distancing profession anyway

Control the virus - loads of testing, no fans at games (just 300+ others), disinfectant etc. Sorted.

Save lives - hope so 🤞

I thought that a couple of weeks ago the instruction was that the season could only be restarted if games were played at neutral grounds. Is that not the case now? 

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Indeed.

None of the people in your examples are being forced into close contact though.

Stay alert - unless you’re a footballer in which case we’re going to make you continue your anti social distancing profession anyway

Control the virus - loads of testing, no fans at games (just 300+ others), disinfectant etc. Sorted.

Save lives - hope so 🤞

Bus, tube, train, hospitals, teachers (like 4 year olds are going to respect 'social distancing', lol), police?  

I think he listed plenty.

"WoN'T SoMEbODY THiNK oF THE CHILDREN PREmIER LEAGuE FOoTBALlERS"

Sorry, not on a wind up or trying to be an @rse.  The protectionist argument for footballers just greatly amuses me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A lot seem to have called it wrong on here proclaiming the season was over. 

I called in Brian

However given the money involved and the impact right through professional football there was always the knowledge that everything would be done to .... basically save football.

I'm not sure why there is so much whining about one particular aspect of society - as if these were hard pressed car workers on £7 an hour..... they have my sympathy and concern, not millionaires who will have the best possible medical attention

odd what some folks priorities are

The season hasn't restarted. They are just going back for training. Once again, they are all going to have to come together on when the season can restart. One coach might think his players are ready and another might think they need another week. Nothing is anywhere near finalised.

But I would concede that a restart does look more likely than three weeks ago.

Just now, Bill said:

I called in Brian

However given the money involved and the impact right through professional football there was always the knowledge that everything would be done to .... basically save football.

I'm not sure why there is so much whining about one particular aspect of society - as if these were hard pressed car workers on £7 an hour..... they have my sympathy and concern, not millionaires who will have the best possible medical attention

Fully agree. I’ve worked in a hospital all through this period and only those staff off sick have been tested.

Don’t know if it’s just Leicester but there’s definitely more people meeting in groups on the street now and lots more cars on the road. 

Money talks

I’m surprised at people’s reaction. If football could restart it was / is always going to do so. Only clear science against it doing so would stop it .The will of the PL drives this on. The government want it . UEFA want it . In some cases individual leagues have called a halt . But no league is so precariously based on the prior spending of huge quantities of money as the EPL and very few leagues have such a wide ranging economic influence.  The EPL is truly global , and the economic power this brings is enormous. 

It’s bonkers of course to remotely suggest that any chance of contracting Covid 19 whilst playing football is worth taking . It  isn’t . But with so much money involved Football sits outside of the common moral framework and has done for years . Peoples surprise is naive . 

Oh and it’s good for morale. 

Those saying that the restart was never going to happen and that the season was to be declared null and void are living in cloud cuckoo land even though it absolutely should be . 

Ive said this before. Football watches as players are banned from shaking hands , but can gob on the pitch , dive , berate officials , and feign injury like no other environment . 

Football is a world that you either accept or you don’t . This afternoon I’m close to don’t.  I just hope that without any unnecessary loss of life some science crops up to stop this happening . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fully agree. I’ve worked in a hospital all through this period and only those staff off sick have been tested.

Don’t know if it’s just Leicester but there’s definitely more people meeting in groups on the street now and lots more cars on the road.

it almost seems back to normal, with I suspect the lower number only due to closed shops and pubs etc not given folk reason to be out

I said previously that it will look a different country by mid June and that's still around 4 weeks off - and without any physical evidence many will see it as a sign of 'all clear' and regard measures to protect as an unwarranted intrusion in their lives

and not long now before the righties will be bleating that it is all 'political correctness gone mad'

unfortunately as with so much else of their ignorant bleats it is not always them who suffer or have to sort out the problems

..... however I am sure that there are some who have taken a perverse delight in the passing of dimwitted righties in the US who have dismissed this virus as a hoax etc

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

it almost seems back to normal, with I suspect the lower number only due to closed shops and pubs etc not given folk reason to be out

I said previously that it will look a different country by mid June and that's still around 4 weeks off - and without any physical evidence many will see it as a sign of 'all clear' and regard measures to protect as an unwarranted intrusion in their lives

and not long now before the righties will be bleating that it is all 'political correctness gone mad'

unfortunately as with so much else of their ignorant bleats it is not always them who suffer or have to sort out the problems

..... however I am sure that there are some who have taken a perverse delight in the passing of dimwitted righties in the US who have dismissed this virus as a hoax etc

Bit sick joking about deaths there 🙄

1 hour ago, Orly said:

Bus, tube, train, hospitals, teachers (like 4 year olds are going to respect 'social distancing', lol), police?  

I think he listed plenty.

The suggestion that those are even remotely the same as playing football?? You strenuously exercise and then immediately run onto a bus, spit on the floor and heavily breathe around at least 21 other people?

I work in a job where it is actually impossible to follow social distancing rules and complete my work, yet I can recognise the difference between what I do and what a footballer does. 

Also I’m considered a key worker, footballers most certainly are not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orly said:

"WoN'T SoMEbODY THiNK oF THE CHILDREN PREmIER LEAGuE FOoTBALlERS"

Sorry, not on a wind up or trying to be an @rse.  The protectionist argument for footballers just greatly amuses me.

Good that it amuses you. The statements from the PL and FA about the ‘integrity of the game’ and ‘needed to boost morale’ does the same to me

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I called in Brian

If aimed at me, I have never stated it’s anywhere near one of my priorities. I simply gave an opinion that it’s an unnecessary resumption during this critical time of the pandemic. Have the tests been met that mean sport can resume? Why should football be above government advice? My objections are simple.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Bit sick joking about deaths there 🙄

He's gloating again Solo (o). I dont think even he can deny it this time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Money talks

I’m surprised at people’s reaction. If football could restart it was / is always going to do so. Only clear science against it doing so would stop it .The will of the PL drives this on. The government want it . UEFA want it . In some cases individual leagues have called a halt . But no league is so precariously based on the prior spending of huge quantities of money as the EPL and very few leagues have such a wide ranging economic influence.  The EPL is truly global , and the economic power this brings is enormous. 

It’s bonkers of course to remotely suggest that any chance of contracting Covid 19 whilst playing football is worth taking . It  isn’t . But with so much money involved Football sits outside of the common moral framework and has done for years . Peoples surprise is naive . 

Oh and it’s good for morale. 

Those saying that the restart was never going to happen and that the season was to be declared null and void are living in cloud cuckoo land even though it absolutely should be . 

Ive said this before. Football watches as players are banned from shaking hands , but can gob on the pitch , dive , berate officials , and feign injury like no other environment . 

Football is a world that you either accept or you don’t . This afternoon I’m close to don’t.  I just hope that without any unnecessary loss of life some science crops up to stop this happening . 

This.

My argument was never will it restart or not. I’m just sad that it will despite all that is known.

Money, inevitably but unfortunately, will talk. It’s just the longer those running football continue to keep silent over their motives for project restart and push it through whilst I’m not even allowed to meet up down the park for a kick about, the less respect I have for the whole game

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's gloating again Solo (o). I dont think even he can deny it this time.

You really want to bet wcorkio ?

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

This.

My argument was never will it restart or not. I’m just sad that it will despite all that is known.

Money, inevitably but unfortunately, will talk. It’s just the longer those running football continue to keep silent over their motives for project restart and push it through whilst I’m not even allowed to meet up down the park for a kick about, the less respect I have for the whole game

The reason why it's much, much, MUCH safer to restart the premier league, versus telling every man and his dog they can play football again, is fairly obvious. 

There are 20 teams, with 25 odd players, with around the same number of staff and support staff, all subject to regular testing and procedure.  Totalling in the low thousands I imagine (fag packet maths).

If we, as a significant percentage of a populace of 30 million-ish blokes went and started playing football together, that would be a considerably different proposition.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A lot seem to have called it wrong on here proclaiming the season was over. 

I'll be honest, as much as the PL wanted it I just couldn't see it restarting a month ago, it's not about the players safety its the whole circus around it on a matchday I couldn't see being allowed so quickly, especially the idea of broadcasting complete lack of social distancing and the message it sends.

I'm still not convinced we will complete the season in anything but a farcical way yet, but it does look much more likely.

Edited by Monty13

28 minutes ago, Orly said:

The reason why it's much, much, MUCH safer to restart the premier league, versus telling every man and his dog they can play football again, is fairly obvious. 

There are 20 teams, with 25 odd players, with around the same number of staff and support staff, all subject to regular testing and procedure.  Totalling in the low thousands I imagine (fag packet maths).

If we, as a significant percentage of a populace of 30 million-ish blokes went and started playing football together, that would be a considerably different proposition.

Yes it’s obviously safer (MUCH), but is it a necessary risk considering the thousands of people involved?

9 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Yes it’s obviously safer (MUCH), but is it a necessary risk considering the thousands of people involved?

That's the real question isn't it, which we current have different answers to.

But, IMO, the risk is so negligibly low for healthy people, that all of our efforts should be focused on protecting the vulnerable (i.e shielding them, rather than hoping that we can get rid of the virus by social distancing and isolation alone), rather than restricting the activities of the healthy.

Always good to hear counter arguments though.