Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Thoughts on the German restart

It was good to see football again but the lack of crowd noise made it a strange experience. 

I didn't think that the lack of fans would make a difference but it clearly did. I watch a lot of German football and my overall impression was that home advantage was nullified to a large degree without a crowd. Obviously it was the first game back but my initial thought is that it would have made no difference if the games I saw had been played at neutral venues. 

Not sure how that will affect us assuming that we restart as planned 

Golf kicks off in the US on June 11, again will be interesting how they will play, will they have caddies, no crowds walking round. Looking forward to seeing some more live sport.

I thought the games were ok, saw Dortmund, but the lack of background atmosphere very strange.

If games behind closed doors become the norm that is quite possibly me and professional football done with. I have no desire to watch a soulless spectacle on my tellybox as a form of entertainment.I watched snippets of the German weekend on news bulletins and i personally found no joy in it at all.

• Like 2

Back to the Johnny Haynes day of football 

Those not signing on the dole trying to get a close season job

No crowds no money coming in for the clubs

Football gone as we knew it

Bentleys gone for the Ford Capri

It was watchable but very obviously is never going to be as exciting a the ‘real’ thing. It’s a case of if this is how it’s going to be for the rest of this season and next season then make the most of it, it’s better than nothing. 

A totally dour and uninspiring spectacle.....I sat through the first game on TV and after a while got so bored I started playing solitaire on my laptop.....

If this is gonna be the future of pro-football.....I'm out.....Unless I can take my laptop into the ground......

Anyway It's a cracking weather day and I've just hung the washing out and I find that much more entertaining.....

It was so bad I went out and purchased bikes for me and my girlfriend. I'd actually rather go out on a bike than watch that.

The above means nothing without context so to conclude, I f*cking hate cycling.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Would have been better if there were fans, of course, but I don't watch football to see scrotes like me singing and cheering, I watch football to see highly skilled footballers play football.

• Like 1

I quite enjoyed it but only because I was so starved of football. I think its going to have a steep drop off though and by the time the Premier league returns I think I'll only be bothered with watching Norwich.

5 minutes ago, Orly said:

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Would have been better if there were fans, of course, but I don't watch football to see scrotes like me singing and cheering, I watch football to see highly skilled footballers play football.

On the whole if was ok. Where it will lose the thrill is those iconic moments, for example when Hernandez scores that 96th minute equaliser against Forest. those moments just won’t be the same without the wild celebrations. In fact you could make an argument that those moments may not even happen without the atmosphere from the fans to give the players the extra push 

I have just been and played golf for the first time in two months and thoroughly enjoyed it. And that is really what sport is. Not professional sport at any cost even if it is not worth watching.

13 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Might be more interesting when EPL starts

'Might' being the operative word.  Watched a bit if Dortmund v Shalke 04 and the language, clear as a bell coming from the coaches was industrial, to say the least. ... the game itself although  decent in quality,totally lacked atmosphere.  I just cant see it being  something people would pay a subscription  for.  

The way forward has to be pay per view as I'd still want to watch city but no way would I give two flying forks about Burnley v palace with no crowd. 

Just hope when the PL is shown on tv behind closed doors, we don’t have to put up with the commentator apologising every few minutes for any “inappropriate” language you might have heard. That statement winds me up enough normally, it isn’t a kids tea party for heaven sake.

3 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

Just hope when the PL is shown on tv behind closed doors, we don’t have to put up with the commentator apologising every few minutes for any “inappropriate” language you might have heard. That statement winds me up enough normally, it isn’t a kids tea party for heaven sake.

You should have written FFS😉

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

'Might' being the operative word.  Watched a bit if Dortmund v Shalke 04 and the language, clear as a bell coming from the coaches was industrial, to say the least. ... the game itself although  decent in quality,totally lacked atmosphere.  I just cant see it being  something people would pay a subscription  for.  

I've read that Todibo of Schalke is in danger of a suspension after he audibly told Haaland to 'go f*** your grandmother' 😂