Sign in to follow this  
pete

Gov in £800m bonus for Project Restart

MP on the telly on BBC earlier today wants Premier League to kick off as playing will give £800m to put in the Treasury coffers, MP with dark curly hair in 30's didn't get his name but not one of the usual pro PL brigade said this on BBC early am.

Do not know where he gets figures from but unsure where £800m comes from surely players still pay tax on earnings even if not playing what other sources could this come from.  Suggestions please.

https://www.pinkun.com/opinion/guilty-parties-happy-to-muddy-football-waters-1-6656303

This on pinkun.com you might be interested.

VAT. Season tickets , advertising , some sponsorship , entertaining , excise on alcohol sales employees NI (stewards, bar staff etc)  . There’s a few I can think of. 

I’ve been reminding posters for weeks now about lobbying and government self interest . This is why it was always likely to re start subject to medical evidence. 

Football (and Murdoch) is powerful as money talks . 

I may have misunderstood but the OP doesn’t mention income tax , just that playing the games will generate more “for the coffers” of HMRC? 

A Premier League match will generate thousands in taxation - including those that I mention, through the activity of the game and supporting services. If I misunderstood apologies - but imagine the revenue being missed out by HMRC for Even one home game in Norwich. 

Imagine what effect this will ultimately have on the corporation tax of a club like ours? 

1 hour ago, pete said:

MP on the telly on BBC earlier today wants Premier League to kick off as playing will give £800m to put in the Treasury coffers, MP with dark curly hair in 30's didn't get his name but not one of the usual pro PL brigade said this on BBC early am.

Do not know where he gets figures from but unsure where £800m comes from surely players still pay tax on earnings even if not playing what other sources could this come from.  Suggestions please.

https://www.pinkun.com/opinion/guilty-parties-happy-to-muddy-football-waters-1-6656303

This on pinkun.com you might be interested.

you don't have to play if you don't want to

though I am left reeling at the thought that the PL and tv companies might be 'in it' for the money

.....and if that is the case, tthen what did you expect in this situation ?

42 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I may have misunderstood but the OP doesn’t mention income tax , just that playing the games will generate more “for the coffers” of HMRC? 

A Premier League match will generate thousands in taxation - including those that I mention, through the activity of the game and supporting services. If I misunderstood apologies - but imagine the revenue being missed out by HMRC for Even one home game in Norwich. 

Imagine what effect this will ultimately have on the corporation tax of a club like ours? 

Football clubs rarely, if ever, pay Corporation Tax. Even if they do make a profit they generally have accumulated losses to carry forward to cover

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Football clubs rarely, if ever, pay Corporation Tax. Even if they do make a profit they generally have accumulated losses to carry forward to cover

Ok - not corporation tax . But VAT etc? I’m beginning I hadn’t bothered to respond 😂

15 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Ok - not corporation tax . But VAT etc? I’m beginning I hadn’t bothered to respond 😂

There is VAT on ticket sales which isn't relevant. As someone else has said, the PAYE on wages hasn't been affected. 

There is VAT on payments from Sky to the clubs and there is VAT on Sky subscriptions. 

I've got no idea how he gets to £800m. I hope the bloke on tv wasn't the Chancellor of the Exchequer. If it was we may have a problem 

Well at least he manages to put his shoes on the right feet , which according to the metro is a relatable thing to do for lefties.

Really Badger .....white, male and Tory is a free pass!!!

I don't know what planet you live on but that is grossly untrue!!

6 minutes ago, Bagster said:

Well at least he manages to put his shoes on the right feet , which according to the metro is a relatable thing to do for lefties.

Really Badger .....white, male and Tory is a free pass!!!

I don't know what planet you live on but that is grossly untrue!!

So why do you think that that Diane Abbot's lack of knowledge of the figures was referred to and not Michael Gove's?

Gove is in government, so his mistakes are far more important but doesn't seem to attract as much attention. Why do you think that might be?

• Like 1

Because it's a continuous occurrence with Diane and not Gove.

But carry on, don't let me stop you, you look for racism in everything.

2 hours ago, Bagster said:

Gove is in government

Diane wAs trying to be in government

No difference

No difference between being in govt and not being in govt?

One has his hands on the levers of power and makes decisions that affects peoples' lives. The other never will and was never likely to.

Mistakes by those in govt normally attract more attention - but for some reason, certain people seem to only remember Diane Abbot's. I just wonder why?

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Or Michael Gove? Of course being male, white and Tory is doesn't get as much attention😏

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/michael-gove-numbers-hopelessly-wrong/

This. I get bored of pointing out how Boris Johnson has had equally catastrophic interviews, but because he’s a jolly good bloke and most of still tug out forelock to our betters who’ve benefited from an expensive private school education, he’s allowed to get away with it. Whereas if you’re an uppity black woman who is the daughter of immigrants and have merely overcome disadvantage and prejudice to get to Cambridge and become the first black female MP, it’s open season.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bagster said:

Gove is in government

Diane wAs trying to be in government

No difference

Gove has enormous privilege and a huge part of the media rooting for him. Abbott has them focusing on her every mistake.

Very different.

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

This. I get bored of pointing out how Boris Johnson has had equally catastrophic interviews, but because he’s a jolly good bloke and most of still tug out forelock to our betters who’ve benefited from an expensive private school education, he’s allowed to get away with it. Whereas if you’re an uppity black woman who is the daughter of immigrants and have merely overcome disadvantage and prejudice to get to Cambridge and become the first black female MP, it’s open season.

Which one has literally cost this country millions of pounds in failed vanity projects thanks to their poor maths? 

• Like 1

Which one out of the two has people on twitter wishing he would die!!

If you want to laugh and take the p.ss out of Boris and Gove, then knock yourself out, they both give you plenty of opportunities.I would have no problems with that.

If I want to laugh at Dianne, then I will but I don't hate her at all and I certainly don't accept to be called racist for it.

23 hours ago, Badger said:

Or Michael Gove? Of course being male, white and Tory is doesn't get as much attention😏

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/michael-gove-numbers-hopelessly-wrong/

Because he was tentative about the numbers & admitted he wasn't sure. Also he was not orders of magnitude out, unlike Abbott, who tends to make a habit of it & has no hint of self doubt.

A quick rule. 

If you think someone is incompetent you don't give them a chance to prove you're right. But you also don't give them four or five chances to prove you're wrong. 

4 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Because he was tentative about the numbers & admitted he wasn't sure. Also he was not orders of magnitude out, unlike Abbott, who tends to make a habit of it & has no hint of self doubt.

He was a govt minister singing the praises of a policy that he didn't even know! Gove has also made a habit of similar mistakes and of course there was the cocaine parties. Yet somehow he is seen as more acceptable!

Abbot was also criticised for sending her son to a private school, by people who do exactly the same! It's just curious why she seems to attract so much scorn and laughter when compared to others whose record are equally as bad, if not worse.

A labour MP who sends their son to a private school is sort of hypocritical.

Sort of do as I say, not as I do sort of thing, not that it did him much good.

Anyhow Badger, like I said , feel free to take the pi SS out of Gove, it's fine by me 😉

55 minutes ago, Bagster said:

A labour MP who sends their son to a private school is sort of hypocritical.

Sort of do as I say, not as I do sort of thing, not that it did him much good.

Anyhow Badger, like I said , feel free to take the pi SS out of Gove, it's fine by me 😉

Is a labour politician who claims the Tories are failing our state school system actually being hypocritical though?

To her credit she said her decision was indefensible but crack on if you want to defend it with something you just made up in your own head.

1 hour ago, Bagster said:

To her credit she said her decision was indefensible but crack on if you want to defend it with something you just made up in your own head.

To be fair, I was more posing the question in general, not referring to her specific case which i had totally forgotten about. As this happened in 2003, so whilst labour were in power, then yes, it would be a tad hypocritical.

• Like 1