Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

TWTD remembers the play off semi final

They are on a different planet...

I love the stat that they have held the lead against us for all of 26 minutes in out last 12 meetings

• Haha 1

After our 3 nil win the ever likeable Chambo said that we “couldn’t get near them” after the game. Then again we shouldn’t complain about Chambo, he personally has a splendid record in our favour . 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In case anyone is in need of a smile in these difficult times - 

"They were beaten till the sending off and they knew it" 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/480697/imagine-berra-just-let-it-in-and-we-were-1-0-down-but-11v11/#39

Maybe this farmhand might care to ask himself what caused the sending off,

and what would have happened had Berra not have handled on the line

A clue

The ball slams into the back of the net past Swansea City's ...

1 hour ago, First Wazzock said:

They are on a different planet...

I love the stat that they have held the lead against us for all of 26 minutes in out last 12 meetings

They can’t even add up correctly, 14 at CR and 6 at Pooman make 20 !

• Like 1

They were never really in that game, not as any coherent attacking force. Even then they were the kick and rush brigade.

Weird how different supporters see a match and even more, the concept of selective memory.

• Like 1

In all honesty, the best anyone could say for them is that the first half of that game was just about even - with us being closest to scoring - but we’d barely got out of second gear.  We played better second half and they never looked like winning.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

In all honesty, the best anyone could say for them is that the first half of that game was just about even - with us being closest to scoring - but we’d barely got out of second gear.  We played better second half and they never looked like winning.

Yep. Just rewatched on YouTube in full a week or so back. This is exactly how I saw it.

i guess if you support a team that is now at the worst position it’s been in LIVING MEMORY and has failed to win a derby game for an ENTIRE DECADE then you’ll clutch at straws, & the fact that you were still in the game until one of your players stupidly got himself sent off (by handling the ball on the line which is somehow not relevant (it’s a fairly important part of football not to do stupid things that get yourself sent off)) lets you delude yourself you were winning at 0-0.

what I love most about beating them in the semi final is that for us it’s just a sideshow on the way to the main event, which was winning at Wembley. Whereas for them it was their biggest match of the decade 😆

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Weird how different supporters see a match and even more, the concept of selective memory.

not when you recognise that it is them

they have always had these bizarre ideas about their club

'everyone's favourite second team and the Queen Mum was a season ticket holder etc

yet at best their 'glorious history ran for about 7, at a stretch 8, years

they have been out of the PL for 18 years, and for the past 39 years they have won one 2nd tier trophy and the FA youth Cup

in comparison we have won three 2nd tier trophies (and a 3rd tier), winning two Youth Cups... and the League Cup

we've spent longer in the top flight in that time and finished higher in the PL. and even qualified for Europe more times

so I think the past four decades have been ours - and we haven't even managed to go bankrupt or get ourselves £100m in debt either

and as to a glorious history of 8 years, well the past 10 years for us have been possibly the best time to be a City supporter in the club's history

so cling onto your delusions bin boys - because the gap is only going to get greater

• Like 1

Yeah but they've got one of them investors and they're minted. They waved all those fivers and tenners at us so we'd remember them because they reckoned we'd never play them again...

4,047 days since they last beat us!

And counting........................

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yeah but they've got one of them investors and they're minted. They waved all those fivers and tenners at us so we'd remember them because they reckoned we'd never play them again...

4,047 days since they last beat us!

And counting........................

which looks to be how it is now

unless we join them in L2 at some point 😂

and below, we have some not too bright binners celebrating in the same way folk celebrate when they think they are about to receive $60m from a locked account in a Nigerian bank

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yep. Just rewatched on YouTube in full a week or so back. This is exactly how I saw it.

I watched it again yesterday. We were awful in the first half. Especially Redmond, Howson, Hoolahan and Jerome. Then Redmond woke up at the start if the second half and everything changed . Jerome and Redmond continued that great form at Wembley but Howson was anonymous there as well. Looking back, why did we think he was our best midfielder? 

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

I watched it again yesterday. We were awful in the first half. Especially Redmond, Howson, Hoolahan and Jerome. Then Redmond woke up at the start if the second half and everything changed . Jerome and Redmond continued that great form at Wembley but Howson was anonymous there as well. Looking back, why did we think he was our best midfielder? 

Watch that goal he scored at Man City when we beat them on the last day of the season. Sheer class, takes it past some top players and a great finish.

Frustrating thing about Howson is that he’s capable of that, but most of the time just disappears from games. Fortunately when we’ve played him at other teams (I think he was in the Boro team when we beat them 1-0 last season) it’s been exactly the same, the odd good touch but mostly anonymous.

3 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Watch that goal he scored at Man City when we beat them on the last day of the season. Sheer class, takes it past some top players and a great finish.

Or the screamer against Forest. The technique was outrageous.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

After our 3 nil win the ever likeable Chambo said that we “couldn’t get near them” after the game. Then again we shouldn’t complain about Chambo, he personally has a splendid record in our favour . 

Surely Capt Stars must now hold the record as the worst record for a Capt against your local rivals.

Not sure how long he's been there but I know he's never managed a win against during his time.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Surely Capt Stars must now hold the record as the worst record for a Capt against your local rivals.

Not sure how long he's been there but I know he's never managed a win against during his time.

He could have been there a very long time and that would still be true 😂😂

It is funny but not surprising. I remember the reaction to that match at the time from them totally baffled me- lots of talk of being proud about the performance despite the fact that they never really looked like winning.

I think the red card allowed them to believe they were unlucky- instead if that had gone in and Berra stayed on we'd probably have won comfortably and they wouldn't be able to kid themselves like they do. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It is funny but not surprising. I remember the reaction to that match at the time from them totally baffled me- lots of talk of being proud about the performance despite the fact that they never really looked like winning.

I think the red card allowed them to believe they were unlucky- instead if that had gone in and Berra stayed on we'd probably have won comfortably and they wouldn't be able to kid themselves like they do. 

In fairness that match is the best thing that's happened to them in 10 years.

Imagine that, the best thing you've been able to experience as a fan in recent years is watching you lose 3-1 to your rivals. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

In fairness that match is the best thing that's happened to them in 10 years.

Imagine that, the best thing you've been able to experience as a fan in recent years is watching you lose 3-1 to your rivals. 

Yeah I think that is part of it- having been thoroughly out done by us for such a long time, a decent 45 minute spell probably appears to them as an amazing performance.

I remember one of their guys wrote a incredibly cringy piece about how that Smith goal had made a corner of Carrow Road 'forever theirs' rather than it just being a footnote in the story of how the best season they've had in 20 years ended with us going up instead of them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Chambers has always looked so easy to wind up for me, after Klose equalised in 2018 he came out with this..

"I don’t think they are a threat, really, they had a lot possession, a lot of tippy tappy stuff but they’re not the team they were three years ago when we played them. They are nowhere near that level, hence the league position."

It must have been horrible for him going down 3-0 a year later while we sat at opposite ends of the table, hence that statement.

I also think it's an attitude you see in some of the Ipswich fans, so desperate to have one over on us they've championed Lambert while he takes them down to their lowest position in however many years - bottling it and getting sent off against us in the process. I genuinely do not believe if Lambert had achieved what he did with us with another team instead he'd have been afforded the time he has there - "Paul Lambert is a blue" - and my god may he remain one for a while to come 😉

A curious point not ever raised is that a binner was in an offside position when their free kick was taken - wether it constitutes offside now I' not sure

freeze at 3m.32secs or 3m.33secs

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

A curious point not ever raised is that a binner was in an offside position when their free kick was taken - wether it constitutes offside now I' not sure

freeze at 3m.32secs or 3m.33secs

I don't think that would be given as offside even now with VAR, he wouldn't be seen to be impacting play I don't think.

I am glad Ruddy didn't bring Smith down though...

yep. that's why I asked - the laws seem to change by the season

however I would agree as I don't think the original law was brought in as an absolute - more to stop a forward remaining with the opposition keeper throughout the game

so I am happy to say he was not offside (that we won 3-1 has nothing to do with it 😉)

Another amazingly brilliant display of center back play from Martin for that goal too 😀

He was really awful wasn't he?  A very good right back mind, but terrible as a central defender. 

The only ones in that team still playing in the top two divisions are  - Tettey and Redmond (plus Ruddy if you count squad members) in the EPL, and Howson and Johnson in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Another amazingly brilliant display of center back play from Martin for that goal too 😀

He was really awful wasn't he?  A very good right back mind, but terrible as a central defender. 

The only ones in that team still playing in the top two divisions are  - Tettey and Redmond (plus Ruddy if you count squad members) in the EPL, and Howson and Johnson in the Championship.

I wasn't a Martin fan at CB but have to say that at Wembley he was really solid.

• Like 1

Yes he played O.K that day, except for that missed header that would have made it 3-0.   At 4 min 50 sec here.

I still like the guy, and will never forget the performances he put in at right back, but looking back there were a several players in that squad that were of pretty doubtful quality. So we did well to get promoted, but not a big surprise we got relegated again. 

Edited by Surfer