Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

German football in BT Saturday

3 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

My god its so boring without fans, it feels like even the players are just going through the motions. If the prem and the government think this is going to cheer us up they are very much mistaking, infact its a huge turnoff a ,back to reading a book 

I'm loving it. It's certainly different with no fans but they certainly aren't going through the motions. 

Quite why they announced the scorer over the loudspeakers I've no idea! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

1-0 nice goal. So let me get this right, they can be in each other’s faces throughout the match but social distancing is maintained in goal celebrations. What’s the difference?

Because players jumping on top of each other wouldn't look very good on the news at the moment? 

Thanks Dylan, I'm not too bright being as it says that on the thread title...

Edited by nutty nigel

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I guess these games are on Sky or BT?

Or certain other sites, if you know what I'm saying.  Not that I'd ever advocate anything illegal, of course.

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Because players jumping on top of each other wouldn't look very good on the news at the moment? 

They are jumping on each other every time they challenge for a header and go in for a tackle. Again, what’s the difference? If they have been tested and are fine to be in each other’s faces for 90 minutes then why ban goal celebrations 

Edited by JF

The background sound and acoustics is akin to three people shouting at each other in a heavily tiled Victorian swimming pool.....

Not really my thing and it's the wife's tv anyway...

But I was curious about what it was like with no crowd. Do they add in crowd sound?

It's a bit like watching French horse racing.

You know sod all about anything and without the crowd it's about as exciting as watching paint dry.

After 10 minutes you wonder why you've bothered.

3 minutes ago, JF said:

They are jumping on each other every time they challenge for a header and go in for a tackle. Again, what’s the difference? If they have been tested and are fine to be in each other’s faces for 90 minutes then why ban goal celebrations 

It's about reasonable precautions.  You can't play football without getting close to one another.  You CAN celebrate a goal whilst observing social distancing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's daft too, it's just a risk assessment and them minimising every possible non-playing contact.

• Like 1

I’ve watched the German footy on BT for several years, actually prefer it to a lot of the rubbish in the PL.

As to the atmosphere, it is a bit odd but I’m happy watching whatever wherever so it’s not that big a deal.  Once we have got used to it we’ll probably not notice that much but it will be good to get back to normal.

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Not really my thing and it's the wife's tv anyway...

But I was curious about what it was like with no crowd. Do they add in crowd sound?

Without some personal attachment its a poor second to paint watching. I can watch other teams in our league because the result may have a bearing on our own fortunes but after a couple of minutes of this I completely lost interest. Would rather watch my great grandson in the under 12's league than this sterile German stuff.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve watched the German footy on BT for several years, actually prefer it to a lot of the rubbish in the PL.

As to the atmosphere, it is a bit odd but I’m happy watching whatever wherever so it’s not that big a deal.  Once we have got used to it we’ll probably not notice that much but it will be good to get back to normal.

Question Time on the BBC is far superior I reckon without a baying audience. You start to adapt to a new normal 

Edited by sonyc

Just now, sonyc said:

Question Time on the BBC is far superior I reckon without a baying audience.

Definitely, particularly with the current presenter who doesn’t call out people who are talking utter ballacks

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

It's about reasonable precautions.  You can't play football without getting close to one another.  You CAN celebrate a goal whilst observing social distancing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's daft too, it's just a risk assessment and them minimising every possible non-playing contact.

I think it’s absolute nonsense. It’s either safe or it isn’t. If it’s safe enough for players to crash into a challenge and land on top of each other, or be in each other’s faces at corners then it’s safe enough to celebrate goals. 

9 minutes ago, JF said:

I think it’s absolute nonsense. It’s either safe or it isn’t. If it’s safe enough for players to crash into a challenge and land on top of each other, or be in each other’s faces at corners then it’s safe enough to celebrate goals. 

It's a bit like shopping in the supermarket. It's not safe but if you keep touching things you don't have to touch then you increase your chances of getting it.

But the main reason is publicity. We all know that they should not be playing but pictures of players jumping on top of each other after a goal will make the front page rather than the back page. 

14 minutes ago, JF said:

I think they probably wanted to avoid any kissing being shown 😉

4-0 Dortmund. Always good to see a team in yellow thrash a team in blue in a local derby.

And Denis scored, once again.

Ps. Double checked ....Looked at results in Feb 20. Doh.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Would rather watch my great grandson in the under 12's league than this sterile German stuff.

Damn right too Ricardo(o)!  Youth games when you know the kids involved  are whole new type of exciting.  

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I saw the highlights of Dortmund-Schalke, and it just seems weird to see arguably the fiercest derby in Germany played in circumstances more akin to those of a pre-season friendly. 

It was a good watch in the end and after a while you ignored the lack of fans in the stands, mostly because your focus of attention had strayed to the bizarre instructions they were under! Subs sitting in the stands two metres apart with masks on! The same subs that will soon be in each other’s pockets on the pitch! And the equally bizarre decision to limit goal celebrations to an elbow bump but the same players have previously been all over each other in challenges! I would liken it to watching an entertaining pre season friendly but it’s fair to say that football for the foreseeable future has lost a lot of what makes it entertaining 

Edited by JF

31 minutes ago, JF said:

It was a good watch in the end and after a while you ignored the lack of fans in the stands, mostly because your focus of attention had strayed to the bizarre instructions they were under! Subs sitting in the stands two metres apart with masks on! The same subs that will soon be in each other’s pockets on the pitch! And the equally bizarre decision to limit goal celebrations to an elbow bump but the same players have previously been all over each other in challenges! I would liken it to watching an entertaining pre season friendly but it’s fair to say that football for the foreseeable future has lost a lot of what makes it entertaining 

Yeah, I saw highlights of that game plus several photos of the bizarre 'distancing' rules at other games, such as warming up two metres apart and sitting in the stands with masks on, only to then get touch-tight when marking at a corner and picking up the ball for a throw after the goalkeeper touched it with his spit-covered gloves. 

• Like 1

An interesting article about Union Berlin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50267677

Stuck in the Russian controlled side of Berlin until the two countries were re-united the club seems to be what many in the UK would like their club to be, as

""In the middle of 2008, the club decided to finally modernise the stadium, the Stadion An der Alten Försterei (Old Forester's House). Money was still tight, and so the fans simply built the ground themselves. More than 2,000 Union supporters invested 140,000 working hours to create what is now regarded as the largest football-specific stadium in Berlin.[15] Inside the stadium an array of outside beer kiosks and open air grills serving bratwurst and pork steaks at the back of the stand provide the culinary staples.

In May 2004, the supporters raised enough money to secure the club's license for fourth-division football through a campaign called 'Bleed for Union'.[27] This catchphrase was not meant metaphorically. One element of the campaign was that fans donated blood to Berlin hospitals and then gave the money they received from the blood bank to their club.

In 2014, the club came up with the idea of inviting their fans to take their own sofas to the ground for the whole of the World Cup, in order to enjoy the televised matches in the company of fellow supporters.More than 800 sofas were placed on the pitch in rows in front of a big screen.''

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

An interesting article about Union Berlin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50267677

Stuck in the Russian controlled side of Berlin until the two countries were re-united the club seems to be what many in the UK would like their club to be, as

""In the middle of 2008, the club decided to finally modernise the stadium, the Stadion An der Alten Försterei (Old Forester's House). Money was still tight, and so the fans simply built the ground themselves. More than 2,000 Union supporters invested 140,000 working hours to create what is now regarded as the largest football-specific stadium in Berlin.[15] Inside the stadium an array of outside beer kiosks and open air grills serving bratwurst and pork steaks at the back of the stand provide the culinary staples.

In May 2004, the supporters raised enough money to secure the club's license for fourth-division football through a campaign called 'Bleed for Union'.[27] This catchphrase was not meant metaphorically. One element of the campaign was that fans donated blood to Berlin hospitals and then gave the money they received from the blood bank to their club.

In 2014, the club came up with the idea of inviting their fans to take their own sofas to the ground for the whole of the World Cup, in order to enjoy the televised matches in the company of fellow supporters.More than 800 sofas were placed on the pitch in rows in front of a big screen.''

That's more like it Billo. Post of the Day for me.

well, put up a 'like' then ya miserable git

(they don't cost anything you know😉)

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

well, put up a 'like' then ya miserable git

(they don't cost anything you know😉)

Some people are never happy, I take the time to reply and all you want is to double your  collection of  likes.

• Like 1